• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Soon as slate and Dewitt said they didn't remember Comstock at Wounded Knee, I knew it must of been Dewitt.

So was Booker the one "hogging" all the glory from Wounded Knee and the Boxer Rebellion? Was Slate actually pissed at Booker and not Comstock? Considering the latter are the same person, Slate's distaste was fairly apt.

Dead

well not really...yet
So was Booker the one "hogging" all the glory from Wounded Knee and the Boxer Rebellion? Was Slate actually pissed at Booker and not Comstock? Considering the latter are the same person, Slate's distaste was fairly apt.
I might be wrong, but I think Slate did not make the connection that DeWitt = Comstock, thus he believed Comstock was a fraud who completely made up his involvement in Wounded Knee

yes/no?

Salamando

I might be wrong, but I think Slate did not make the connection that DeWitt = Comstock, thus he believed Comstock was a fraud who completely made up his involvement in Wounded Knee

yes/no?

Yeah, that was my impression. No one knew who Comstock was before the baptism, not even his own biographer.

GavinGT

Banned

yes/no?

Wasn't Comstock blasting it over the intercom in the Hall of Heroes that Booker was in Wounded Knee? Or was he just alluding to it?

Nemesis_

Does everyone beat her like this on 1999? Almost the same method as me except I shot her point blank with a heater and then escape with return to sender. Luckily I got that double damage melee gear too or it would've been a long hide and seek game.

I tried doing it the long hide and seek way, but kept running out of ammo. So I had to start getting creative and exploitative :(

Thank fuck for that gear.

Wow...holy shit. That ending was incredible. I honestly sat for a good long while after the credits rolled.

I could really, really have done without a lot of the shooting segments at the end. It got tedious, and the AI was simply not engaging at ALL in the Zeppelin defense and Lady Comstock missions, just frustrating.

But that is a brilliant story arch, and otherwise well crafted experience. Most other combat I thought was great, some interesting scenarios and combat environment designs.

As for Elizabeth? Sometimes, she did incredible things, and reacted to the environment around her in a fantastic way. When you play that guitar in a basement in shanty town? Holy shit.
But then consigning her to opening doors, and every time she would have a super meaningful character moment and then pop into her normal behaviour a second later and throw a coin at you...that really soured it.

An imperfect, but great game. I appreciate the ambition, and the risks they did take.

Neiteio

What was the deal with these doors to nowhere that flanked the entrance to Fink's factory, iirc? There were two such doors, one on either side of the stairs, and they just led a short distance into a non-rendered room.

See below:

7315134A66CA698580C9B02CA5310B4D676724C1

Nome

So, did you guys realize that one of the models of Liz at the ending was the first one? I saw it on a video talking about the ending. As the guy said, I think it means that on some universe, that Elizabeth was there.

Sorry if it was already discussed.
I think it means they didn't want to waste an asset.

Xanathus

What was the deal with these doors to nowhere that flanked the entrance to Fink's factory, iirc? There were two such doors, one on either side of the stairs, and they just led a short distance into a non-rendered room.

See below:

That's where enemies spawned from, I believe they spawn infinitely until you reach the gate.

DatDude

Banned
I think it means they didn't want to waste an asset.

There was an interesting theory stating how all those elizabeth models kind of imply that all of them died at the end of the demo..that's why there showing all those different different models previously used in the demo.

Sblargh

Banned
Wasn't Comstock blasting it over the intercom in the Hall of Heroes that Booker was in Wounded Knee? Or was he just alluding to it?

Booker was in Wounded Knee. All versions of him. He changes his name to Comstock because of what he did, as Booker, on Wounded Knee.

DatDude

Banned
Just a question...again off topic, sort of.

Are there any films that kind of deal with this multi universe theme, but doesn't make it all complicated (like lost or fringe) and hard to follow?

Xanathus

Are there any films that kind of deal with this multi universe theme, but doesn't make it all complicated (like lost or fringe) and hard to follow?
Looper. I was going to type out stuff to explain how that movie is similar to the game but then it would be a spoiler for the movie.

Sblargh

Banned

It's not *this* multiverse theme (it is about virtual reality), but I always liked Existenz for some reason.
Then there is The Lake House, that kind of reminds of Bioshock Infinite when I think about it, but at heart it is a romantic drama kind of movie.

I don't know, good question. I'm trying to remember books either, there's Heinlen "Time Enough for Love", which, as the title shows, deals with time travel, but it gets into this kind of paradoxical deterministic stuff and also can be very touching at times.

I saw a preview. It seems kind of indie, and low budget-ish but I've heard raving reviews!

Could you maybe give me a bit of a non spoiler plot synopsis? A few sentences would suffice.
Hmm..it's basically a story of a garage engineer going through one of the Lutece twins' stories in a modern setting. Slowish start, but if the wind-up and end of Infinite got you excited, you'd probably love it.

Edit: low budget doesn't hurt it, and it's not a pretentiously in your face indie "I'm trying really hard to be art" type deal either

Yea those doors really turned me off when I came across them, one was just empty one you couldnt even go the whole way in there was an invisible wall...I was like hmm did they run outta time lol

Ferrio

Banned
You know... if everyone realized Liz having her pinky seperated caused her powers..... why didn't comstock or someone else decide to lose a pinky to become a god?

So I just did the first Lady Comstock fight on 1999 mode. Holy shit does being prepared for that battle completely change the outcome. That fight wasn't any more difficult that a standard Patriot fight.

My build:
  • Fully upgraded Murder of Crows, Possession, Devil's Kiss (although Possession wasn't used)
  • Return to Sender (with Sender for Less upgrade)
  • Carbine with both Damage Boosts & Recoil Mod
  • Hand Cannon with both Damage Boosts
  • Storm Hat gear, Blood to Salt Vest gear, Overkill Pants gear, Urgent Care Boots gear

When she started summoning people, I loaded up Murder of Crows, threw it out. Switched to Devil's Kiss, threw one out. With the full upgrade plus Storm most of the dudes would be wiped out and stay down. As she was moving to the next one, I pulled up Return to Sender and kept it going, so it picking up any straggler's bullets as I shot at her. When she started summoning a new set, I would throw the Sender charge at her, switch back to Murder of Crows, rinse and repeat. Didn't die once, she was dead within two minutes, and with the Blood to Salt gear I never ran out of Salt.

*ALSO NOTE*

Before the battle started, I wanted to test a theory: I went around and burnt most of the bodies with Devil's Kiss BEFORE opening the lock. She still goes over to the bodies and tries to summon them. They either A) didn't get up, or B) got up, but went down with a couple shots without having to Devil's Kiss them again. So that's useful for preparation before the battle starts so they don't overwhelm you.

Hopefully my tactics will work in part two and three. But damn if that wasn't way easier than my first time through.

Sober

LOST didn't really have a multiverse thing, it seemed pretty straight even when they did the whole backwards timetravel thing. Fringe wasn't that confusing either, it seemed pretty simple to understand, though occasionally some details get lost in the shuffle.

Primer though, Primer is something else. Have yet to see Looper.

Xanathus

It's alright. Post it anyways, just write Looper-Spoiler at the top of your post.

Spoiler to the movie Looper
The story is also about two guys who are actually the same person from different times/time-lines, and the solution to the big problem that they experience in the movie involves one of them killing himself thereby making the whole problem never happen in the first place.

BillyBats

Banned
Just finished the game. I can easily say, one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had in 20 plus years of gaming. I absolutely loved the nods to Close Encounters, LOST, Amadeus, and possibly Big Love with the whole Prophet and "Nobody Knows" song included (may be a stretch on that.) Every inch of the game was bathed in detail. The modern songs being sung by the locals in their own style was marvelous. I loved the old time rendition of Fortunate Son, just remarkable. Just watching the credits and seeing the two performers sing that song so well shows how much talent was involved in some aspects of the game. I loved how Ken had to tell them that they were too good and he wanted it a bit grittier. Great stuff.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I'm half expecting atleast half of the cut parts will be DLC. They made too much of a big deal out of it, saying how many hours were cut and stuff. It could have been PR but the way this game ended up I truly believe parts were cut so it could ship quicker.

The game looks like it was completely redone like 2 or 3 times. Some of these old screenshots look completely different. The sky rails are totally different, the dynamics of the gameplay and therefor story are different like the Handymen being the "big daddies" of columbia and being Elizabeths keepers.

I thought I was going to do a few fetch quests for Daisy ala Sander Cohen and fight with the Vox for a little while, that didn't really last long or play out nearly as well as it could have. It seems like that was taken in a totally different direction.

Same with Fink offering you a job after that. I felt like I was going to have to choose between fink and the vox and I guess that's what they were going for? But then you go through a tear and the decision is made for you. Weirdly misleading game.

ezekial45

Banned

I'll second Primer. It is, by far, the most 'accurate' depiction of time travel and has the most complicated timeline in any movie.
http://cdn.unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/primer-chart.jpg

Also, these aren't movies, but the tv shows Fringe and Sliders explore the multiverse angle.

beastmode

For what it's worth I love lost.

But none of it made sense to me. Like absolutely none of it. Even that clip you showed me, I have no fucking clue what's going on :/
Sounds like you just enjoy simpler things in general.

I have a great TV show I can reccomend you, it's called of CSI: Miami. I heard it's a really show.

Basically Desmond is talking about LOST's version of the after-credits scene in Infinite (he's seen what he thinks is an alternate reality where all shit in the series never went down,) while Jack has come to terms with determinism. It ties in with the theme of accepting what's happened and moving on.

FluxWaveZ

Still not totally sure how Booker was transported into another timeline by the Lutece siblings at the beginning of the game without him knowing it, but the OP was immensely helpful. Instead of being left relatively confused concerning the game's events, I've grown to very much appreciate them.

DatDude

Banned
therefor story are different like the Handymen being the "big daddies" of columbia and being Elizabeths keepers.

I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion. The handymen were never meant to be the big daddies of Columba, or be Elizabeth keeper. From the very first gameplay demonstration you could see it was always Elizabeth running away from the Song Bird.

DatDude

Banned
Sounds like you just enjoy simpler things in general.

I have a great TV show I can reccomend you, it's called of CSI: Miami. I heard it's a really show.

Basically Desmond is talking about LOST's version of the after-credits scene in Infinite (he's seen what he thinks is an alternate reality where all shit in the series never went down,) while Jack has come to terms with determinism. It ties in with the theme of accepting what's happened and moving on.

Hmm interesting. Now, I enjoy complex shows. I just feel that over episodes upon episodes, upon episodes, the narrative kind of became lost in translation, and just made a growing hole grow larger.

Now, the ending, what was that all about? I know alot of Lost fans complained there were so many plot holes and that the ending was poorly done. I liked it personally, but only because of the music and just the general "feeling" of what was going on.

Amzin

From what I heard from Vox's and the various dialogue, the siphon is pretty much what it sounds like, a power siphon. It dampens Elizabeth's powers and I believe there was some suggestion that Comstock used it for something or other (and they were clearly experimenting with it without Elizabeth's knowledge.)

The leash, on the other hand, was something added to Elizabeth in the 'old Elizabeth' timeline, when they've recaptured her and Booker doesn't come rescue her. The Vox's with the scientists suggest that's it's sort of shock therapy - when she tries to open a tear she gets hurt in some way that prevents it. She is eventually indoctrinated after years and years and they 'allow' her to use her powers for certain purposes - experiments, mostly. In the end she ditches the leash and rips Booker into her timeline decades later to try and set things right.

So when Booker rescues young Elizabeth when they've strapped her down and shoved a giant-ass needle in her spine, he prevents them from leashing her, so it's just the siphon still holding her back. When Booker commands the Songbird to destroy the tower and the siphon with it, suddenly there's nothing restraining her and she can all but control the universe.

Mudron

Still not totally sure how Booker was transported into another timeline by the Lutece siblings at the beginning of the game without him knowing it, but the OP was immensely helpful. Instead of being left relatively confused concerning the game's events, I've grown to very much appreciate them.

Yeah, the Booker = Comstock twist didn't make any sense to me until I got online and saw people talking about it only works if the Luteces slipped Booker into Comstock's reality before the events of the game (but after Robert Lutece hired Booker to find Elizabeth).

Strange that such a crucial event is never directly mentioned or seen in the game itself (at least as far as I saw), but whatevs.

Yeah, the Booker = Comstock twist didn't make any sense to me until I got online and saw people talking about it only works if the Luteces slipped Booker into Comstock's reality before the events of the game (but after Robert Lutece hired Booker to find Elizabeth).

Strange that such a crucial event is never directly mentioned or seen in the game itself (at least as far as I saw), but whatevs.

Booker isn't hired by Robert Lutece. The Lutece Twins open a tear and pull Booker in. The process of transferring over to another universe that has an existing version of one's self effectively erases the parts of your memory that conflict with the existing version. This causes your mind to "make up" new memories to fill that space using bits and pieces of what you knew. It's shown at the end when you see the Lutece's carrying Booker. Booker is mumbling his newly created memories that explain his existence.

beastmode

Hmm interesting. Now, I enjoy complex shows. I just feel that over episodes upon episodes, upon episodes, the narrative kind of became lost in translation, and just made a growing hole grow larger.

Now, the ending, what was that all about? I know alot of Lost fans complained there were so many plot holes and that the ending was poorly done. I liked it personally, but only because of the music and just the general "feeling" of what was going on.
The glowing stream that leaks EM everywhere is the source of consciousness/time/space. When you screw with it causes problems (e.g. conception being busted on the island.)

In Season 5 time got fucked, so a bunch of people tried to tried to kill the unstable EM spot that later brought down their plane. With a nuke. But that's actually what caused it to be unstable.

One side effect though was that their desperate wishes and the energy from the nuke created what they wanted within the light. Upon death, people involved with the Island wake up in this reality (the "flashsideways" parts of season 5 - what Desmond got a glimpse of.) The ending is all of 'em coming to understand that their experiences (the good and the bad) were more important than this bland, safe life.

Lotsa casual watchers thought that the ending was just "THEY WERE DEAD THE WHOLE TIME!"

Fjordson

Don't even know know what to make of the overall plot yet, but this retro Tears for Fears cover in the credits is amazing. I love it.

Top Bottom