• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Eventually one of you is actually going to post the ending lol.

Nah, you must have killed the optional guy just before the last room, this is real good ending, untarnished.

EDIT: This is making me realize I've finished BioShock like five times, and I've never seen the bad ending.

Oh, silly me! Well, I replayed the last fifteen minutes or so, and I realized you could activate a trap to unlock the super-secret, feel-good ending.

OMG YOU DID NOT JUST POST THE ENDING

BAN THIS SICK FILTH

Thank God I didn't click that before reading further. I am extra vigilant about spoilers now, I already got potentially spoiled a few days ago and don't want to know if it was real or not.
Oh God people are posting potential sneaky spoilers now and I am thinking of jumping ship

Xater

:( Overall impressions?

It's a good game but not the home run I was hoping for.

I think on a mechanical level it works better than Bioshock 1 or 2 but they really didn't push it as far as they probably could. Mostly I am disappointed by the powers and how little the skyline stuff actually factored into the game. That might be more a result of my high expectations. What is there works perfectly fine. What I really enjoyed is when they give you Halo like sand boxes to fight in.

The story I didn't particularly care for and I really don't understand the hype that was built up before for it. Especially the news about that one Irrational dude having problems with the religious themes. There really isn't anything in this that is so outrageous. I wish there was...

I was very impressed with the design of Columbia. It's a beautiful place and they put a lot of effort in every small detail.

Oh and for those wondering, apparently there is no New Game Plus. That really sucks, especially because of how the weapon upgrade system works. The way that works is that you can upgrade a machine gun but those upgrades don't carry over to every machine gun, because there are two different types. I wish they had just stuck to a system that was based on weapon classes.

So overall I enjoyed my time but I doubt this game will stick with me like System Shock 2 or Bioshock 1 did. I am actually happy that I done with it so I can return to MH3U which I think I am enjoying more.

solarus

I think on a mechanical level it works better than Bioshock 1 or 2 but they really didn't push it as far as they probably could. Mostly I am disappointed by the powers and how little the skyline stuff actually factored into the game. That might be more a result of my high expectations. What is there works perfectly fine. What I really enjoyed is when they give you Halo like sand boxes to fight in.

The story I didn't particularly care for and I really don't understand the hype that was built up before for it. Especially the news about that one Irrational dude having problems with the religious themes. There really isn't anything in this that is so outrageous. I wish there was...

I was very impressed with the design of Columbia. It's a beautiful place and they put a lot of effort in every small detail.

Oh and for those wondering, apparently there is no New Game Plus. That really sucks, especially because of how the weapon upgrade system works. The way that works is that you can upgrade a machine gun but those upgrades don't carry over to every machine gun, because there are two different types. I wish they had just stuck to a system that was based on weapon classes.

So overall I enjoyed my time but I doubt this game will stick with me like System Shock 2 or Bioshock 1 did. I am actually happy that I done with it so I can return to MH3U which I think I am enjoying more.
Sigh... These were my biggest worries about this game as well, seems it didn't deliver in the areas I was most interested in. Still, the design of columbus looks wonderful. I really need to stop preordering things off of steam lol, never a good idea. Still excited to play the game for myself however. How long did it take you roughly?

Xater

Sigh... These were my biggest worries about this game as well, seems it didn't deliver in the areas I was most interested in. Still, the design of columbus looks wonderful. I really need to stop preordering things off of steam lol, never a good idea. Still excited to play the game for myself however. How long did it take you roughly?

Around 12 hours.

DukeBobby

Thanks for the impressions. Looking forward to seeing what I think of it myself.

RoKKeR

Question: If you have money in your steam wallet, will it automatically use it to purchase whatever items you have it in your cart? Wan't to make sure I'm using my wallet money instead of my card. I've never bothered w/the wallet feature before.

Question: If you have money in your steam wallet, will it automatically use it to purchase whatever items you have it in your cart? Wan't to make sure I'm using my wallet money instead of my card. I've never bothered w/the wallet feature before.

You pick the purchasing method, so it won't use your card. It'll ask for every purchase.

It should default to the wallet, but as you check out it should ask you to confirm your payment method.

People respond to things differently. I thought Silent Hill Downpour had by far the best story in any game last year (read: not much of a feat) that was also very well told and written in general but I'd imagine a lot of people would disagree with that. Which is okay, whatever, but these things are highly subjective.

It's precisely that I do get Monster Hunter that I'm so sure I won't share his experience of Bioshock.

Same.

I tried Monster Hunter before and it is one of the most boring game I have played. I have no idea what the appeal of it is.

I play a lot of JRPGs on handhelds and imported games so I know first hand people won't get the games I have played or like. Even Pokemon which is popular is polarizing to some people, but we all have different taste.

I was about to say the same thing...

I just don't *get* Monster Hunter, I even watched the new Quick Look from Giant Bomb...

Nope, still looks really dumb.

Maybe try give the game a try. The honest to god, old college try.

If you still don't like it, it just might not be for you. It's not for everyone.

I tried Monster Hunter before and it is one of the most boring game I have played. I have no idea what the appeal of it is.

Then I pity you.

Xater

People respond to things differently. I thought Silent Hill Downpour had by far the best story in any game last year (read: not much of a feat) that was also very well told and written in general but I'd imagine a lot of people would disagree with that. Which is okay, whatever, but these things are highly subjective.

Yes, these are just my impressions. Some people will probably agree with me other won#t. That's all right. I feel just slightly let down. After all it was one of my most anticipated games for a while.

It's precisely that I do get Monster Hunter that I'm so sure I won't share his experience of Bioshock.

Can you please stop projecting my enjoyment of one game onto another. especially how you are so sure that means how you will feel about the game. It's just idiotic. I play a wide variety of games so me enjoying MH means basically nothing.

Yes, these are just my impressions. Some people will probably agree with me other won#t. That's all right. I feel just slightly let down. After all it was one of my most anticipated games for a while.

The hype is so strong that this was always to be expected, especially after all the delays.

Vire

Maybe try give the game a try. The honest to god, old college try.

If you still don't like it, it just might not be for you. It's not for everyone.

Then I pity you.

I dunno, it just looks like a poor man's Demon/Dark Souls. (Granted Monster Hunter came first)

Maybe some day...

antitrop

Monster Hunter is a great franchise, it just takes a certain kind of person to enjoy it. And it says a lot about someone if they play it, to me more than most others. Similar to MMO players.

I would buy Monster Hunter but no online on 3DS. I enjoy both games though, don't understand why it has to be exclusively one or the other.

2013-03-2320_58_38-kemquno.png

I'm sensitive to people having trigger issues, but that's just ridiculous. It's like saying the punch was spiked is a joke about drunk driving.

I dunno, it just looks like a poor man's Demon/Dark Souls. (Granted Monster Hunter came first)

Maybe some day...

There's thousands of hours of potential enjoyment if you can get into it! So, in my opinion, I'd recommend you at least try. Maybe even try it a few times with many months in between, because...

I also love the Souls games, but when I first tried Demon's I hated it. Didn't understand why so many people loved it, then I gave it another try a year later. Freaking loved it!

I don't think Monster Hunter is a poor man's Souls game, though. They are still pretty different even if they share some similarities. One thing I love about MH is the relaxing atmosphere and contrast of exploring the world and gathering with the intensity and tension of the excruciatingly long boss fights.

Xater

The hype is so strong that this was always to be expected, especially after all the delays.

Yeah, maybe I let the hype get to me and then binge playing it did the rest. Maybe if I sit on it for a few days my opinion on some stuff might change. Well the only thing that I can see it change is the story but I still think they did just too much...

No new game plus is the biggest bummer. Man I would probably play it again in a week if I could do it. Having all the options right from the start would maybe make me play around more with the different powers.

Yeah, maybe I let the hype get to me and then binge playing it did the rest. Maybe if I sit on it for a few days my opinion on some stuff might change. Well the only thing that I can see it change is the story but I still think they did just too much...

There is actually one good thing about hype and disappointment though: sometimes, it's only temporary. I felt disappointed by Skyward Sword because my hype was just frankly not feasible for the game or any game to really meet. I did have some problems with it, but after a while I started to accept it more. Something similar happened with RE6. I still think it's a bad direction for Resident Evil, but after some time I at least warmed up to the gameplay and the story's fixture in the overall series.

With hype/disappointment, for me, it's generally fleeting. There's an initial crush of disappointment but time sometimes heals it. I'm trying to keep my hype modest about Bioshock Infinite, but it's hard.

NAPK1NS

I appreciate the impressions. Despite my excitement, I've maintained realistic expectations over the years. I never expected a NG+, and don't expect 1999 mode to be the game changer some are hoping for.

I just want an engaging, multifaceted narrative, and sound art direction. It will probably come through in those respects. As for the utilization of skylines, I always imagined they would be another combat element and nothing more. This isn't an open world game, or Zelda. There is no blending of "zones."

You lucky pre-loaders. Still waiting on Great Mistake Gaming.

Top Bottom