• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

As the title says, I got my ps3 copy today (although I'm waiting for my xbox copy to ACTUALLY play it haha) and thought I'd try to unlock 1999 mode.After start screen just enter up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, circle, X, start (on ps3) and a screen will pop up telling you you've unlocked it and it's available to choose from new game when selecting difficulty.

This is what the poster says. I would link it but I'm on my phone.

So what's allowed to be posted on youtube? My cousin got it early in the post and we're loving the music from the credits. Would something unsavory happen if he uploaded the audio from that on youtube?

I am surprised GMG has been so ill prepared for this. Never has there site been such a clusterfuck, its pretty unacceptable that many people can't even look at their game keys.

Sorian

Banned
Thanks for the confirmation. 1999 mode it is... Maybe. Hopefully there's more to it then what ign stated... or this mode can go fuck itself.

Anyone wanna give me a run down of what IGN said 1999 mode is? Don't bother linking their site, this comp won't open it.

Sblargh

Banned
He apologized, it wasn't even that much of a strong joke, to me the story ended. What follows are sites fishing for links.

When in doubt, don't joke about stuff that not few people associates with the one of the worse moments of their lives or with one of their biggest fears every time they go out, but again, he realized the joke was off and apologized. To me, that's it.

They're hard at work, I see. Like 10 minutes after the video showed up in search.
iccHhwfaQWg1P.png

So what's allowed to be posted on youtube? My cousin got it early in the post and we're loving the music from the credits. Would something unsavory happen if he uploaded the audio from that on youtube?

Anyone wanna give me a run down of what IGN said 1999 mode is? Don't bother linking their site, this comp won't open it.
IGN said:
1999 ups the challenge exponentially by severely reducing the amount of money available (and thus the number of times you can pay to revive when killed in combat), notably slowing down your shield’s recharge time, and of course making enemy attacks hurt more. Oh, and completely disabling the handy navigation arrow, which in normal play kindly stays off of your screen unless you summon it for a few seconds with a button tap.

Ken said it wouldn't be simply adjusting sliders....and yet. I still have some hope that ign is being ign, but I dunno..

StuBurns

Banned
They're hard at work, I see. Like 10 minutes after the video showed up in search.

Take 2 Games? Bizarre.

DukeBobby

I wouldn't risk posting anything until Tuesday.

Sorian

Banned
Ken said it wouldn't be simply adjusting sliders....and yet. I still have some hope that ign is being ign, but I dunno..

Hmm, I'll probably end up doing it just because I always have to go for that all-in experience.....but seems kind of lame for all this hype.

antitrop

Take Two is the parent company of 2K Games. Take Two also owns Rockstar.
Yuppers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_Games

2K is an American global developer, marketer, distributor and publisher of video games.[1] 2K Games is a subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive. It was created on January 25, 2005 after Take-Two acquired developer Visual Concepts and its wholly owned subsidiary Kush Games from Sega for US$24 million.[2]

I believe 1999 mode requires specialization. E.G. Shotguns would only be effective if you've specialized in that weapon type. From what I've read, it sounds like it's a slightly more RPG-like "you can't have your cake and eat it too" mode where you can't max out everything.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Buying this on PC but not sure if I should recommend my friend whom I built a PC for a long while back should get it for 360 or PC.

Q6600
HD48901GB
8GB Ram

Thoughts?

As someone who always thought the first BioShock was wholly overrated... Infinite is good. It's really good. I don't want to jump the gun and lavish the game in heaps of praise off the bat (I haven't even met Liz yet - just turned up at
Monument Island
), but thus far it is undoubtedly excellent stuff. Columbia is the star of the show, just like Rapture was in BioShock. The game is a visual extravaganza because of its unique setting, and it's better than Rapture because you're not just roaming around in the decrepit aftermath of a once functioning society. Columbia is living, breathing, thriving and it's all the better for it. Exploration is a pure joy. And I happen to think the game looks gorgeous on the PS3 too, for the most part.

Just to nitpick, when things suddenly get violent for the first time, the experience is really jarring. Very very early spoilers, but
during the beginning segment of the game you spend a good deal of time as DeWitt just gawping at this floating city and interacting with its residents and engaging in some fairground attractions, and it's pleasant stuff. Then you're fingered as the False Shepherd and incur the wrath of the police force, which results in DeWitt instantly indulging in some ultra-violence by introducing a police officer's face to a sky hook. I'm pretty desensitised to video game violence by now, but that was so needlessly gruesome it made me roll my eyes and think "ugh... video games".
Such an abrupt transition. Nowhere near a big deal, but it did spoil the mood a bit for me.

Anyway, really liking it. Hope it continues to deliver.

The scene mentioned in your spoiler is from the trailers and I didn't really think it was that bad.

Are you playing/Have you played the game? Because I'm talking about it happening in the context of the whole thing. It just felt really jarring and needless to me.

Just to nitpick, when things suddenly get violent for the first time, the experience is really jarring. Very very early spoilers, but
during the beginning segment of the game you spend a good deal of time as DeWitt just gawping at this floating city and interacting with its residents and engaging in some fairground attractions, and it's pleasant stuff. Then you're fingered as the False Shepherd and incur the wrath of the police force, which results in DeWitt instantly indulging in some ultra-violence by introducing a police officer's face to a sky hook. I'm pretty desensitised to video game violence by now, but that was so needlessly gruesome it made me roll my eyes and think "ugh... video games".
Such an abrupt transition. Nowhere near a big deal, but it did spoil the mood a bit for me.
Same here. Had the same feeling in Tomb Raider. I'm not what the exact reason why the devs decide to do such a thing.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot one bad thing about Bioshock Infinite: unskippable logos. Jesus Christ.

I know with some games, like Dishonored, you can move/delete the movie files from the game files and solve that annoyance.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How many of those fake PBS documentary ads are there? Just the two?

antitrop

I forgot one bad thing about Unreal Engine: unskippable logos. Jesus Christ.

Fixed that, it's annoying as fuck. The first thing I do for any UE game is delete all the logo cutscenes from the hard drive, or rename them. By I like to delete them out of disdain.

Are you playing/Have you played the game? Because I'm talking about it happening in the context of the whole thing. It just felt really jarring and needless to me.

You may be right about that, I'm not playing the game until it unlocks on Steam. I thought you were just talking about the gore itself.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
They were hinting to more. Hopefully they didn't stop due to some kind of expectation to internet reaction.
Aw man, those are the only ads I've watched. Lol.
I'm actually planning on showing my 65 year old hippie dad who still uses aol mail bioshock infinite. Every few years I show him a landmark release. The last time he saw a videogame was portal2. I want to make him watch those ads before I give him a demo.

Top Bottom