• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Anton668

Ok I went the extra mile and probably unnecessarily took a pic of my power supply

DTHcwwi.jpg

Oh my! lol yeah, I've always known it's a shit GPU, I've just never been sure how to go about upgrading.

ok, the good and the bad news.
good: that PSU should power a upgraded card (within reason - no titans!)
bad: brand name never heard of and some quick google-fu tells me its a pc-o-shit, as its on a number of lists of brands to avoid!

so, question is, technically it should be enough power unless you go all out. problem is do you want to trust it enough to spend the money?

I have no fucking faith in humanity these days....
it's like they lash back at stuff like this so they seem smarter and more moral than they actually are.

lol yep. Someone thought that that bros before hos trophy in Ascension was misogynist, and he got so freaking angry about it at me for disagreeing with him. Called me a moron (he was a junior member).

"But tiny raptor, not all junior members suck!" I'm not saying that at all. That's just the reality of it, him being a JM.

so, question is, technically it should be enough power unless you go all out. problem is do you want to trust it enough to spend the money?

Figured there'd be a catch! And probably not. I may just wait until I can get a whole new PC. Thanks for your help, really appreciated. :)

edit: what if I simply purchased a new PSU? they seem to be pretty cheap...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
While I'm not that sensitive to all the critiquing going around by people who have already played Infinite, there are other people who'll flip their shit if they read some of the stuff that's been posted.

Yea, that happened to me last night. Apologies to those I freaked out on.

Figured there'd be a catch! And probably not. I may just wait until I can get a whole new PC. Thanks for your help, really appreciated. :)

You could, though redoing the psu could be a pain in the ass depending how the wiring was done

Yeah. I couldn't do it myself, but I have friends that probably could.

If that's the case, then it should be fine, heh worst case scenario is you'll have a new PSU and graphics card for your next build (if you could get your friends to build it for ya, though it really isn't too hard to learn)

If that's the case, then it should be fine, heh worst case scenario is you'll have a new PSU and graphics card for your next build (if you could get your friends to build it for ya, though it really isn't too hard to learn)

Does the motherboard matter when it comes to the PSU?

Anton668

it all comes down to how much you want to spend. a good PSU will prolly be around... $60-70 ish? then how much you want to plop down for a GPU.

replacing everything is actually easy.

PSU brands to look for Seasonic, Antec, Corsair (not CX), Thermaltake, and others

I don't believe so, pretty sure they're more or less standardized. Only time I've thought about a PSU and mobo is if it were one of the smaller variants and it all needed to fit into a micro or mini case

Cool, thanks.

it all comes down to how much you want to spend. a good PSU will prolly be around... $60-70 ish? then how much you want to plop down for a GPU.

That's not bad. My primary issue is that the PSU+GPU would be up there into "might as well just get a new rig" territory, so I may just go ahead and do that. I don't want to half-ass this.

Really appreciate all the help.

Zeliard

Definitely, definitely buy a good PSU. The absolute last thing you want in your system is a garbage PSU. Get rid of that thing ASAP.

Definitely, definitely buy a good PSU. The absolute last thing you want in your system is a garbage PSU. Get rid of that thing ASAP.

well, I don't really do a lot of gaming on this computer (obviously!) and either way I'll be getting a new one soon. I'd kind of rather just go the "oohhh shiny new gaming PC" route here. :)

If you're building from scratch, don't forget to check out this thread to get ideas/suggestions for parts.

Yeah I've already looked at it, I sold practically my entire PS2 collection yesterday to get money toward a new computer and I'm about to throw a sealed Hyrule Historia Limited Edition in the BST thread.

Lunar15

I feel like on the internet, many people lack discretion. If someone's offended, it's like there's only one response: utter rage and disgust.

There's a huge difference between letting someone know that what they said may not have been the best choice of words and saying "fuck off and die".

Anton668

That's not bad. My primary issue is that the PSU+GPU would be up there into "might as well just get a new rig" territory, so I may just go ahead and do that. I don't want to half-ass this.

Really appreciate all the help.

granted this is looking a lower end budget PSU, no modular and such. but really, getting a good quality PSU is a step in the right direction.

now for the big question, how much you willing to spend on a GPU? $150, 300, 500....

and no probs with the help :)

If you're building from scratch, don't forget to check out this thread to get ideas/suggestions for parts.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509570

also this. be warned, your wallet may end up hating you the longer you spend in there!! lol

granted this is looking a lower end budget PSU, no modular and such. but really, getting a good quality PSU is a step in the right direction.

now for the big question, how much you willing to spend on a GPU? $150, 300, 500...

Well if the PSU is that bad I'll probably just stick to my original plan of getting a new system altogether. I was just trying to figure out if, for now, simply buying a new GPU would settle -- but apparently not. No harm done, PS3 version for me for now, then I'll trade that in whenever I do get my new rig.

As for what I'd spend on the card... a lot. Whatever I'm getting I want it to last a really long time, preferably well into next gen.

antitrop

How is that a rape joke?
It's not and the people who claim that it is are the worst kind. They should be fucking ashamed, they're despicable human beings who only serve to desensitize the word rape, so that when it actually gets brought up in a context that matters people don't even care.

They think they're doing the world some kind of fucking favor. I have nothing but contempt.

I feel bad for the guy having to suck every dick he offends at the moment. It was a harmless joke. Makes me wonder more about Infinite though, all the talk of it being potentially upsetting. There's no tweet that's going to change a video game.

There's a potential tweet with him apologizing for offending people with it.

DSmalls84

I preordered from Steam in January and I don't think I ever got an Industrial Revolution code. Is there any way for me to get another code or play without one?

StuBurns

Banned
Kinda sad really that a man can't just make what he wants to make or say what he wants to say without having to apologise for it.
I know there's the stance that 'the right to swing your fist ends where the other man's nose begins', but you have to elect to follow him on Twitter, he's not infecting people's feeds. Don't like, don't follow him. It seems pretty clear cut.

DukeBobby

Yeah, I can't take any of this shit seriously. One of the twitter accounts is called 'Proud Virgin' and if you look at his account, it's clear that he is either a joke character, or a joke of a human being.

I think I may have had the game spoiled for me. Feels bad man.

I can relate. I had the original BioShock plot spoiled for me. Happened while I was reading GameFAQs boards before the game came out.

I feel relatively safe on NeoGAF, but I won't go anywhere else with the words 'BioShock' in the title.

Top Bottom