• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Wait do you upgrade weapons with currency? That might be bending the definition of "specialization," for 1999 mode since there is supposedly less money in the game.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm loving the game on PS3. Runs really well and looks gorgeous. Has some slight tearing but nothing too bad. There's an unlock framerate version in the menu but I prefer a consistent feel.

Only blemish I've seen so far. MEGATEXTURE!!!

Also some of the islands/districts/blocks floating in the distance bob up and down WAY TOO FAST, the people on them must be FREAKING THE FUCK OUT.

Something about half-loaded textures creep me out.

FrankT

Just wrapped up Tomb Raider and ready to move onto the successor of one my games of this gen.

Some of my impressions from my first play through of Bioshock/demo;

I just can't get enough of those violin pieces. The soundtrack is going to be amazing.

This shit is unreal.

The opening sequence I put up there with the greats, ala Half Life.

Bring it on Ken.

Also how is the 360 version looking/impressions?

inky

Ugh, I know this will be like $30 2 weeks after launch, but that GMG deal is really tempting, except I already own all of the bonus games. Fuck!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just wrapped up Tomb Raider and ready to move onto the successor of one my games of this gen.

Some of my impressions from my first play through of Bioshock/demo;

Bring it on Ken.

Also how is the 360 version looking/impressions?

But then the game was a letdown and was way overrated :p

This one seem much more interesting though.

Dragnet

If anyone's pondering what difficulty to go with if you mainly want to absorb the world and story, Normal is fine. It's a breeze actually, Easy must secretly be a 'enemies are made of paper' mode.

I also turned on the the damage numbers thing on in the menu. Doesn't take me out of the world and I enjoy the combat a lot more. Love seeing 'Critical' pop up! Major Borderlands vibes.

I fucking LOVE the theme park vibes I get from this game. From the rollercoaster sounds and sense of inertia (gotta keep one eye on what's coming round the corner!) when you're on the skyline, to the intro with
the parade and carnival games
and later when
Slate guides you through the War exhibition things
. So awesome. There's more too, I'm just struggling to remember them and articulate why I like this kind of stuff in games so much.

Just finished the Industrial Revolution puzzles. It was a fun enough distraction. I think I'll jump into Bioshock 2 now. Never actually played it on the PC. Only the 360. I played the first one on both PC and 360. Is there anything special I need to do to get it to run on the PC(Steam) as I played through Bioshock 1 a few months back and there were some pain in the ass things you had to do in order to get it to run with sound.

So is BS2 run pretty much from the get go on Steam or are there tricks I need to do?

So I got my codes and when I go to log in to the steam website to activate industrial revolution I can't log in with the same exact information that I can successfully log in the client with. What the fuck is going on?

Toparaman

Banned
Very slightly (and rarely) in the bigger scenes when the framerate dips a bit.

Maybe, but the texture never fully loaded. I stood there for ages. Only time I've noticed the Unreal texture loading thing so far actually.

But what is it even supposed to be?

Hmm, maybe I should wait for the inevitable first patch.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If anyone's pondering what difficulty to go with if you mainly want to absord the world and story, Normal is fine. It's a breeze actually, Easy must secretly be a 'enemies are made of paper' mode.

I also turned on the the damage numbers thing on in the menu. Doesn't take me out of the world and I enjoy the combat a lot more. Love seeing 'Critical' pop up! Major Borderlands vibes.

Borderlands style? That could be fun.

Is there an option for health bars on the crosshair like in Bioshock 1 and 2 instead of floating over characters' heads? I like having the bars in Bioshock but they seem distracting floating above every character.

FINALBOSS

Banned

Is there an option for health bars on the crosshair like in Bioshock 1 and 2 instead of floating over characters' heads? I like having the bars in Bioshock but they seem distracting floating above every character.

Yeah I fucking love damage numbers.

You have actual proof in front of your eyes showing your character getting stronger. Love that.

Dragnet

No option for that, no option to turn healthbars off either. In fact, there's not even a No HUD option. Going to make getting atmosphere gifs a pain in the ass. #consolegamingproblems?

Dragnet

The screen size adjusment in the setup is BS too. If you put the bars on the edge of your screen, the HUD elements will actually be half off your screen. I recommend setting the bars 2 'clicks' in from the edge of your TV.

I wish there was a BioShock: Rapture style book for this game (Mind in Revolt is okay, but I need something longer than a childrens book). I want to know more about how Columbia came to be and more about key characters. I enjoyed BioShock a ton playing it properly after reading the book. I'd see places/characters and be like 'oh shit' constantly.

The screen size adjusment in the setup is BS too. If you put the bars on the edge of your screen, the HUD elements will actually be half off your screen. I recommend setting the bars 2 'clicks' in from the edge of your TV.

I never understood the point of adjusting the bars for your TV anyway. Why do some games do it and others don't?

DERRICK POST IF YOU'RE OKAY.
I don't see anything wrong with that.

Fjordson

Also in this context (the utopia in the sky) the whole steam punk direction is more pronounced and better in its place (IMHO) than in the original. All in all I feel - now in the beginning act mind you - more like a noir detective, in a Boardwalk Empire sort of environment meets the something-view-hotel from the Shining, if that makes sense at all...
Missed this a few pages back, but that sounds awesome.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I never understood the point of adjusting the bars for your TV anyway. Why do some games do it and others don't?

Most TVs default to having large amounts of the screen cut off because of overscan. The screen adjust is to make sure you're seeing the whole HUD and that it's as far out from the center of the screen as possible.

Most TVs default to having large amounts of the screen cut off because of overscan. The screen adjust is to make sure you're seeing the whole HUD and that it's as far out from the center of the screen as possible.

What's overscan? Still doesn't explain why some games do it and others don't.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What's overscan? Still doesn't explain why some games do it and others don't.

It's a standard of where important stuff on the screen is framed to account for variations in projection size in movie theaters. For some reason it's lasted a long time and has moved over to TV. Some games do it because they're worried about the HUD getting cut off or they want it in a specific part of the screen.

If it's for one difficulty, no. That means newer players can ease themselves into the game without too much worry.

You've given him his pedestal. Now the next page will be filled with anti-accessibility. But you may be up for the task. The champion that the elderly deserve. This is your charge.

Dragnet

I can totally see why various members of Irrational were hugely offended by stuff in this game. I've paused/laughed at like 3 things in shock. Before being toned down this stuff must have been hardcore, and I kind of wish Ken Levine could get away with leaving that stuff raw and untouched.

Vire

I can totally see why various members of Irrational were hugely offended by stuff in this game. I've paused/laughed at like 3 things in shock. Before being toned down this stuff must have been hardcore, and I kind of wish Ken Levine could get away with leaving that stuff raw and untouched.

Funny how this is almost completely opposite to what the other guy said earlier.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Derrick01

Banned
If it's for one difficulty, no. That means newer players can ease themselves into the game without too much worry.

If it was just 1 incredibly dumbed down mode of a really deep game then I wouldn't have a problem. But 99% of the time the entire design of the game is dumbed down so grandma can play it, regardless of whatever difficulty is chosen. I don't know when this started but people need to cut it out. Extreme accessibility is the cancer of this industry.

Dragnet

Funny how this is almost completely opposite to what the other guy said earlier.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Something small and non story related that made me say wut when I saw it:
Advert for cigarettes for kids. Okay, weird. Then 5 minutes later actually seeing kids smoking.

If it was just 1 incredibly dumbed down mode of a really deep game then I wouldn't have a problem. But 99% of the time the entire design of the game is dumbed down so grandma can play it, regardless of whatever difficulty is chosen. I don't know when this started but people need to cut it out. Extreme accessibility is the cancer of this industry.

Oh my god, the horror of easing new players into games. Obviously they don't get actual grandmas to come in and playtest the difficulty, but it's something designers aim for. Lars Bakken (or was it Jaime Greisemer?) designed the Easy difficulty in Halo: Combat Evolved by making sure he could play through the entire game using his chin on the moving stick.

Top Bottom