• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Quesa

If it was just 1 incredibly dumbed down mode of a really deep game then I wouldn't have a problem. But 99% of the time the entire design of the game is dumbed down so grandma can play it, regardless of whatever difficulty is chosen. I don't know when this started but people need to cut it out. Extreme accessibility is the cancer of this industry.

Badass alert, men and women to their stations, WEE-OOO WEE-OOO WEE-OO

Oh my god, the horror of easing new players into games. Obviously they don't get actual grandmas to come in and playtest the difficulty, but it's something designers aim for. Lars Bakken (or was it Jaime Greisemer?) designed the Easy difficulty in Halo: Combat Evolved by making sure he could play through the entire game using his chin on the moving stick.
But that's not what he's saying

After playing about an hour of it I can safely say that no amount of "life" in the world will make this an experience people who didn't like Bioshock change their minds about this type of game.

This is not an insult to the game because I am having an immensely great time, and it is the natural evolution Bioshock and the innovations are great, but they are an addition to the Shock formula which in the end is not going to bring anyone over.

Also I am not sure how I made this sound so negative when I am loving it...

I'm playing on hard, but I'll do a 1999 run soon.

Performance wise on the 360 is kind of a tossup. Screentearing was a problem in the beginning a lot, my friend got a PS3 copy so I'll go see how that holds up if I have the time tomorrow.

Stark

Banned
After playing about an hour of it I can safely say that no amount of "life" in the world will make this an experience people who didn't like Bioshock change their minds about this type of game.

This is not an insult to the game because I am having an immensely great time, and it is the natural evolution Bioshock and the innovations are great, but they are an addition to the Shock formula which in the end is not going to bring anyone over.

Also I am not sure how I made this sound so negative when I am loving it...

Spin: People who love the Shock series will generally love this?

I think all Derrick is trying to say is that designing a game with max difficulty in mind and half assing an easy mode is not the same as designing a game easy enough for a lowest common denominator and half assing a hard mode.

I think all Derrick is trying to say is that designing a game with max difficulty in mind and half assing an easy mode is not the same as designing a game easy enough for a lowest common denominator and half assing a hard mode.

It's hard to say what is what without looking at the game's mechanics. Halo's combat is easy to learn and hard to master, and at least in the original trilogy, everything flows naturally from its core mechanics. A game being easy or hard is no indication of how "deep" it is.

Nor is its accessibility.

Derrick01

Banned

Right. Generally the people most AAA games are shooting for now are not people who care much about the things we do, so why not just tack on a properly designed dumbed down mode for them and give us the kind of stuff we used to get on the other modes? Like in this series' case it would be System Shock as an example. Design the entire game around that kind of game and then slap the derp mode on as the Easy difficulty.

If I had to deal with a popup at the start of every single game I played that asked me if I wanted to play on easy mode to make sure that I got the game I'm looking for and casuals could still run around shooting shit and not caring about anything then I would gladly put up with that and just hit no. Instead all we get now are games designed for easy mode on every difficulty basically and the only difference between them is damage modifiers or increased loot drops.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's hard to say what is what without looking at the game's mechanics. Halo's combat is easy to learn and hard to master, and at least in the original trilogy, everything flows naturally from its core mechanics. A game being easy or hard is no indication of how "deep" it is.

Halo is typically an outlier in that regard, and it shows considering how many praise the combat on Legendary. Look at Call of Duty Veteran for a harsh opposite, where the AI just get autoaim and damage cranked up and rain grenades from the sky. This is much easier to do and thus is the more common one.

Deadbeat

Banned

Halo is a dumbed down tribes.
Right. Generally the people most AAA games are shooting for now are not people who care much about the things we do, so why not just tack on a properly designed dumbed down mode for them and give us the kind of stuff we used to get on the other modes? Like in this series' case it would be System Shock as an example. Design the entire game around that kind of game and then slap the derp mode on as the Easy difficulty.

If I had to deal with a popup at the start of every single game I played that asked me if I wanted to play on easy mode to make sure that I got the game I'm looking for and casuals could still run around shooting shit and not caring about anything then I would gladly put up with that and just hit no. Instead all we get now are games designed for easy mode on every difficulty basically and the only difference between them is damage modifiers or increased loot drops.
I think you need to go play stalker. Stop putting it off.

Vire

This game isn't System Shock.

We are almost 20 years removed from SS1, let it go man, let it go..

Going in with that expectation for Infinite is setting yourself up for disappointment.

But I don't understand how all of this relates to Ken wanting to make easy difficulty so easy his grandmother can play it.

Stark

Banned

Going in with that expectation for Infinite is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Expecting Bioshock is best since Bioshock is in the title.

Derrick01

Banned

I'm just kind of speaking to the industry as a whole here. I'm well aware this is just more Bioshock (but hopefully a LOT better than 1).

namDa65

My hype has been going up and down these past few days. Im feeling gaming fatigue right before this release, should I stop gaming for 2 days?

But I don't understand how all of this relates to Ken wanting to make easy difficulty so easy his grandmother can play it.
He's saying that in order to make it THAT easy, the basic design of the game has to make that possible. Deep RPG elements have to be stripped out, in something like SS2's case for example. Instead of making those kind of systems available on harder difficulties, they're just eliminated completely to make the easy mode possible.

beastmode

You realize that the series would still be called System Shock if they had the rights for it? That Minerva's Den has hints to them taking place in the same universe? That 1999 mode is clearly referring to System Shock 2?

Vire

By the way, does System Shock still hold up? I only played SS2.

You realize that the series would still be called System Shock if they had the rights for it? That Minerva's Den has hints to them taking place in the same universe? That 1999 mode is clearly referring to System Shock 2?

Highly doubt it.

It's a different franchise with different core themes. The system shock name had very little weight as it was, calling Bioshock - System Shock 3 would have hurt its sales actually.

He's saying that in order to make it THAT easy, the basic design of the game has to make that possible. Deep RPG elements have to be stripped out, in something like SS2's case for example. Instead of making those kind of systems available on harder difficulties, they're just eliminated to make the easy mode possible.

But why? Just make the enemies deal out little damage and make them very inaccurate.

But why? Just make the enemies deal out little damage and make them very inaccurate.
Well, yeah. They COULD do that, but they don't. Devs think the deeper stuff affects accessibility at a core game design level, and rather than confusing casuals and grandma with a stat management system they'll never touch, they just don't even put that stuff in.

Dmax3901

My hype has been going up and down these past few days. Im feeling gaming fatigue right before this release, should I stop gaming for 2 days?

Oh God me too. I've been skimming this thread looking for "IT'S UNLOCKED EARLY ON STEAM BECAUSE OF CONSOLE STREET DATE BREAKING." and I've read that the opening is as good as HL's opening and then someone else said that the game is good but not great.

I just want to play it!

So, are there any battles of this scale in the game, GAF?
Disappointingly, no. This is what I based some of my purchase decision on, but sadly battles of this scale are NEVER in any part of the game (performance on console? confusing in play testing?). I'm sorry to give you the bad news.

Well, yeah. They COULD do that, but they don't. Devs think it effects accessibility, so rather than confusing casuals and grandma with a stat management system they'll never touch, they just don't even put that stuff in.

But how do we know Ken and the team didn't do that? What if they started out with a set of design principles for BioShock and just made the enemies less accurate and do less damage? That's what Ken meant when he said that. He wanted a difficulty so easy his grandmother could play. Not a game.

Derrick01

Banned

That's what I'm saying basically and the source of my frustration. I don't understand why devs don't just do that and keep the core game on normal, hard/very hard modes. Instead they design the entire game from the start around what Easy mode would be in games like Deus Ex 1, SS2, etc.

Dax01 said:
But how do we know Ken and the team didn't do that?

I'm willing to put money down on the core game not being anything near SS2 quality in design and complexity. Not including 1999 mode here since that can't change things like level design.

namDa65

Oh God me too. I've been skimming this thread looking for "IT'S UNLOCKED EARLY ON STEAM BECAUSE OF CONSOLE STREET DATE BREAKING." and I've read that the opening is as good as HL's opening and then someone else said that the game is good but not great.

I just want to play it!

Yea man. My other problem is gaming fatigue though. I feel like I'll be super disappointed since I won't be in the mood for gaming which will make the experience shittier.

That's what I'm saying basically and the source of my frustration. I don't understand why devs don't just do that and keep the core game on normal, hard/very hard modes. Instead they design the entire game from the start around what Easy mode would be.

But that's not what Ken meant by what I posted.

beastmode

By the way, does System Shock still hold up? I only played SS2.

Highly doubt it.

It's a different franchise with different core themes. The system shock name had very little weight as it was, calling Bioshock - System Shock 3 would have hurt its sales actually.
Game originally took place on a space station. Devs have talked about how it was just System Shock 3 with a different name for quite a while.

Imagine if the derp in Crysis started with 1 instead of 2. "It's not Far Cry everyone!" is what you are saying.

pakkit

Banned
I'm not going to attend the midnight sale out of fear that some asshat might show up just to yell spoilers in the crowd. (Also because I'm totally cooler than those geeks that go to midnight launches.......)

Vire

Game originally took place on a space station. Devs have talked about how it was just System Shock 3 with a different name for quite a while.

Imagine if the derp in Crysis started with 1 instead of 2. "It's not Far Cry everyone!" is what you are saying.

Right it originally started as that, but its pretty clear they went into a different direction with Bioshock.

I actually like Bioshock more than System Shock 2, but that's just me.

Deep mechanics are utterly wasted without complementary content. This is something that has bugged me for years - we have games with 75 different abilities and thousands of possible ways to use them and not a single one feels like they really fit.

SMB3 feels perfect with 2 buttons and a few powerups because the whole game is built precisely with them in mind. Now we have games that don't even bother thinking about the emergent qualities of their systems and who would rather distract you with dozens of impractical or functionally identical options, and then they get to the actual content almost as an afterthought.

You get left with games that feel like a glued together jigsaw puzzle.

I guess this is kind of an irrelevant tangent in of itself though.

Deadbeat

Banned
It really doesn't. It was more like Unreal Tournament with jetpacks.
Imagine if Halo had jetpacks, bases with things such as generators, and was much faster paced. That is tribes. Halo is the slower more simplifed form of Tribes for consoles. Even though tribes did come to consoles iirc.

Imagine if Halo had jetpacks, bases with things such as generators, and was much faster paced.

But that's not what Halo is about.
Deep mechanics are utterly wasted without complementary content. This is something that has bugged me for years - we have games with 75 different abilities and thousands of possible ways to use them and not a single one feels like they really fit.

This is one of my problems with Halo 4. The AAs in campaign feel like they don't fit at all.

Top Bottom