• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

antitrop

Imagine if Halo had jetpacks, bases with things such as generators, and was much faster paced. That is tribes. Halo is the slower more simplifed form of Tribes for consoles. Even though tribes did come to consoles iirc.
I dunno, I never played Halo multiplayer.

Druz

Halo is about two bulls rushing in to find out who had a longer time to squat in a corner to recharge shields/who just spawned to finish you off.

So please tell me what the halo trilogy is about then. Because when I played the trilogy it just felt like a slow neutered version of tribes. You dont even know what tribes is and you are arguing it isnt.

Are we talking multiplayer here or campaign? Because I was talking about campaign. The Halo campaigns are based on the principle of the "thirty seconds of fun" – which is the player's ability to use weapons, grenades, and melee against a group of dynamic AI that react differently to each of the player's tools.

The multiplayer is an arena shooter (or was). Just because the games are similar doesn't mean they were made with the intention of "dumbing down" if that's what the developers set out to do. You can't say Halo is a dumbed down version of Tribes if it didn't set out to be a dumbed down version of Tribes.

Deadbeat

Banned
Are we talking multiplayer here or campaign? Because I was talking about campaign. The Halo campaigns are based on the principle of the "thirty seconds of fun" – which is the player's ability to use weapons, grenades, and melee against a group of dynamic AI that react differently to each of the player's tools.
Not talking about singleplayer and you dont need to sell me on the PR spin about Halo.

The multiplayer is an arena shooter (or was). Just because the games are similar doesn't mean they were made with the intention of "dumbing down" if that's what the developers set out to do. You can't say Halo is a dumbed down version of Tribes if it didn't set out to be a dumbed down version of Tribes.
Im saying it as a comparison to its gameplay style which is a valid comparison. Halo was also the last arena shooter franchise until it got its "ordinance".

Arena shooters are dead. Long live the king (or something).

Don't forget the day 1 10gb texture pack. I guess I won't be playing this at midnight after all since it'll take me a couple of hours to download that. That's assuming the pack is even available at midnight.

That seems so silly to only make available half of the damn game for preload when the whole game is 30 gbs.

beastmode

Disappointingly, no. This is what I based some of my purchase decision on, but sadly battles of this scale are NEVER in any part of the game (performance on console? confusing in play testing?). I'm sorry to give you the bad news.
Welp.

This was Shawn's answer to the question yesterday:

Yes. There's crazier stuff than was in the demo too.

Is Irrational bullshitting? Seems like it.

Not talking about singleplayer and you dont need to sell me on the PR spin about Halo.
I'm not telling you a PR spin about Halo. That's what it is. Stop spewing venom at me!
Im saying it as a comparison to its gameplay style which is a valid comparison. It was also the last major arena shooter franchise until it got its "ordinance".
But that doesn't fit within the argument that developers are dumbing down mechanics in order to make games more accessible because Bungie didn't dumb down any mechanics to make Halo. Your comparison is irrelevant, and it's doubly irrelevant because I was talking about Halo's campaign.

Anyone else having second thoughts on the CE? I just saw the unboxing. Not worth the extra $20.
Any of those extras in any "edition" boxes are nearly pure profit, if you breakdown all the actual cost. Although, I did buy the Skyward Sword with golden wii remote. So weak.

Welp.
This was Shawn's answer to the question yesterday:
Is Irrational bullshitting? Seems like it.
Crazier in what context? That's what I would ask. They have a game to sell and I am not mad at them. For all of the technical struggles they had to go through to meet this day... get the darn game and enjoy it for what it is.
In other words, don't search for moments that you remembered in the trailers as grand and visually spectacular. They had reasons to compromise their target product.

edit: But I could be wrong if console versions are substantially different from PC. I would guess no...

beastmode

Crazier in what context? That's what I would ask. They have a game to sell and I am not mad at them. For all of the technical struggles they had to go through to meet this day... get the darn game and enjoy it for what it is.

edit: But I could be wrong if console versions are substantially different from PC. I would guess no...
The context was in regards to "combat spaces."

The context was "combat spaces."
In that case,
sadly no. Hopefully I'm not crazy. I don't remember anything that hectic, complex, or expansive as the trailer on the PS3 version on medium difficulty.

edit:
They could have done a good job at making sure that I knew where to go, thus making it feel less complicated. Keep in mind that I never had to deal with more than two separate rail line / coaster loop thingies in each battle.

edit2: to make a claim that it's even crazier is pretty subjective in my book. For one thing, Shawn is a level designer and must have gone through a lot of play testers of all sorts of backgrounds.

edit3: I looked at the video again and I can give more differences and be more conclusive.
I can easily say not as large, dynamic, dramatic, and detailed filled as the trailer. There's more handholding in the game, too, for obvious reasons. There are never that many rockets flying at you, no moving cargo boxes while you're on the rail, never that many enemies during a battle, rails never go out far and there are never that many separate ones, never that much stuff going on at the same time. To be practical, I would say there's some bullshit going on.

Toparaman

Banned
tumblr_m6xvrkFJ4o1rae5vno1_1280.jpg

wiseaufilms33.png

That's Dax in the first picture. Derrick's the woman on the left, and Deadbeat's the woman on the right.

Mechazawa

Imagine if Halo had jetpacks, bases with things such as generators, and was much faster paced. That is tribes. Halo is the slower more simplifed form of Tribes for consoles. Even though tribes did come to consoles iirc.

This is fucking hilarious. Take out the jetpack, generators and speed from Tribes?

That's not making a "dumbed down Tribes" That's making a stock video game that has guns and vehicles. Skiing and jetpacks ARE tribes.

I should replay the BioShock games some time. When I have time that is.

In fact, I want to do a "2007 Marathon" where I play all my favorite games from 2007 that I can get my hands on.

I can't follow the drama but the texture pack news has made me very happy :D

Don't even bother.

But yeah 10gb textures. Yum

Too add to the scale impression, I'm not far in but I haven't seen something of that size. I'm done playing for today though, I'll play more tomorrow just to let it soak in.

Halo invited the FPS genre, so it was only natural for it to come in the discussion.

3/10

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Don't even bother.

But yeah 10gb textures. Yum

Too add to the scale impression, I'm not far in but I haven't seen something of that size. I'm done playing for today though, I'll play more tomorrow just to let it soak in.

3/10

It's funny. Whenever I get games early, I sorta find myself not wanting to play them right away either. Maybe it's because it's more fun to play it along with the rest of the world?

Zeitgeist

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I can't follow the drama but the texture pack news has made me very happy :D
Is the good news that we can preload it? I've been kind of only not really reading the thread because I'm al, spooked about spoilers etc.

It's funny. Whenever I get games early, I sorta find myself not wanting to play them right away either. Maybe it's because it's more fun to play it along with the rest of the world?

Zeitgeist

Dude, I'm just not playing it because I work like mad. I want to enjoy the game in a dark room with a sandwich and the volume cranked up while be fully awake due to binge drinking Pepsi.

If I'm not in the happiest state possible while playing the game it feels like a different experience.

Gacha-pin

Quick question about "Find the cipher" one of the sub quests you'd find early in the game.

Can you find the cipher in the same area where you activate the quest?

Edit: I found it.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Dude, I'm just not playing it because I work like mad. I want to enjoy the game in a dark room with a sandwich and the volume cranked up while be fully awake due to binge drinking Pepsi.

If I'm not in the happiest state possible while playing the game it feels like a different experience.

A Dark Room and a Sandwich - A Hoagie Noir

Disappointingly, no. This is what I based some of my purchase decision on, but sadly battles of this scale are NEVER in any part of the game (performance on console? confusing in play testing?). I'm sorry to give you the bad news.

Haha, knew it. Back then Levíne even said that would be the third level of the game.

Top Bottom