• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

iIV2J0xBjaEfM.png

iJw1QSCObT0db.png

Oh man that brought some laughs!

We’d advise that players refrain from playing BioShock 1 and 2 immediately before powering through Infinite for fear of series fatigue, as several aspects of the games do overlap.

First, who is we? And what's this about series fatigue, admitting that the game isn't particularly fresh and to lower expectations for Bioshock fans? (I've never played these games) That's some weird apologist mumbo jumbo.

Amir0x

Banned
Here are a few samples:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/12/the-music-of-bioshock-infinite

Warning about the first video, it contains gameplay footage where that track crops up, as well as ties in with one of the story elements.

Just in case you've been on a blackout.

Update

And here's a recording session for the soundtrack between Troy Baker and Courtnee Draper (VAs for Booker and Elizabeth): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOS74tXnWEM

Ok it is the strangest thing to hear a
Barbershop Quarter version of the Beach Boys iconic "God Only Knows", especially considering the game takes place in 1912 or some shit
. I also don't particularly like the way that amazing song (one of my favs) sounds in that format...

...but this game is beyond bizarre now. Now I've heard
the Beach Boys leaking into this version on 1912
and Elizabeth
accidentally opening a portal to the 1980s

there is some truly weird shit going on in the world of Bioshock Infinite lol

sn00zer

Ok it is the strangest thing to hear a
Barbershop Quarter version of the Beach Boys iconic "God Only Knows", especially considering the game takes place in 1912 or some shit
. I also don't particularly like the way that amazing song (one of my favs) sounds in that format...

...but this game is beyond bizarre now. Now I've heard
the Beach Boys leaking into this version on 1912
and Elizabeth
accidentally opening a portal to the 1980s

No way in hell was that unintentional...I can under stand something like "oh that product actually came out in 1922 NOT 21"...but
1980...yeah

DukeBobby

Don't forget
Cyndi Lauper/Girls Just Want To Have Fun
being played by a calliope or accordion at one point in another preview video!

Also, in the E3 2011 video,
Elizabeth opens a tear to the 1980's, where 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World' by Tears for Fears is playing in the background

Daft_Cat

Oh man that brought some laughs!

First, who is we? And what's this about series fatigue, admitting that the game isn't particularly fresh and to lower expectations for Bioshock fans? (I've never played these games) That's some weird apologist mumbo jumbo.

'We' refers the two posters who designed the thread (clearly stated at the end of the OT).

On your second point, I'm sure their intent is not to come across as apologist, but rather to preserve the experience for people who haven't played Bioshock. Since the new game is not linked to the older ones by plot, it's not necessarily worth marathoning through them the week before Infinite's release, since that carries with it the risk of series fatigue.

They're obviously similar games...linked by similar themes, and a similar approach to gameplay and world-building. If you play them all in one go, I'd argue you're diluting the impact of each one. Why risk it since there isn't a lot of narrative "catching up" to do?

Amir0x

Banned
No way in hell was that unintentional...I can under stand something like "oh that product actually came out in 1922 NOT 21"...but
1980...yeah

It really is making me curious. What could all this
out of time
stuff mean?

Andrew.

Banned
It really is making me curious. What could all this
out of time
stuff mean?

That's what has all of our nuts twisted and why we're all so eager to see what the hell is going on. It's really pretty crazy. And then you have Songbird on top of that and god knows what the hell that thing is.

What you did there, I seen it.

:p

Wonder what what we'll be seeing from IGN today. Yesterday was the review announcement, top 10 user created vigors and the Troy Baker interview.

Sort of hoping to see a bit more of the gear in the game. So far we've only really heard of
the ones that pertain to the skyhooks, Weapon Slave,
and those included in the pre-order/season pass bonuses.

Then again, I'm a greedy bastard.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm crazy - considering building a gaming PC for this game - but I'm going to try and remain strong. The least I can do is wait to see what the next round of consoles offer. I've got way too many boxes under by TV already.

Less than a week!

antitrop

Okay, pulled the trigger on the GMG $14 cash back pre-order deal. I didn't want the 2 free games, because I already own every game they are offering on Steam.

It would be fucking criminal to pass up Spec Ops if you don't already have it, though.

Oh Shit tweest speculation:
are you guys considering the title infinite? And all of these misplaced things during the Bioshock Infinite time period. Probably linked right?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, you guys started already, now Andrew is beating me by a hundred posts at least!

So I'm getting a AMD copy (won a twitter contest).

Do I need to play 1 and 2 first?

None! Infinite is supposed to be a story apart from those games.

But play them nonetheless, they're both great games. If you do get BS2, get Minerva's Den. It's great.

:p

Wonder what what we'll be seeing from IGN today. Yesterday was the review announcement, top 10 user created vigors and the Troy Baker interview.

Sort of hoping to see a bit more of the gear in the game. So far we've only really heard of
the ones that pertain to the skyhooks, Weapon Slave,
and those included in the pre-order/season pass bonuses.

Then again, I'm a greedy bastard.

Just answered my own question, though more may come later:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/19/comparing-bioshock-to-bioshock-infinite

It's a series of interviews. Some bits of the beginning are shown off/discussed, so those wanting to keep in the dark may want to skip out on checking it.

LQX

Fuck. Read that spoiler before the edit. Come the fuck on. I hope that was not a major plot piece. I intentionally avoided so much for months so not to have anything spoiled only to read the one week before release.

So is that green man gaming deal with $14 back and Spec op's + Bioshock probably the best deal out there?

edit: that amazon deal is pretty good too.

Mr. F

Banned
Totally forgot it's out so soon. Can't wait! Although I know it was ultimately for the best that it was killed, the thought of multiplayer with skylines sounds pretty amazing.

antitrop

So is that green man gaming deal with $14 back and Spec op's + Bioshock probably the best deal out there?
Two of the best games of the generation, 1 potential GOTG, and a little lunch money? I don't know you can beat that.

It's too bad vouchers aren't being accepted for this.

Raxus

So do know if there's a camera system in this game again? How about the Giant Audio Diaries Everywhere narrative background stuff?

I know audio diaries return. I dunno what to say about the camera system.

Man we really should get a spoiler thread for this up soon.

Andrew.

Banned
Boys of silence have replaced cameras. Also, there are silent movies as well as the audio diaries.

I think he was talking about the camera system used in the previous games. You know, to take pictures and exploit enemy weaknesses...

I dont know about anything like that returning, but I could imagine a camera from 1912 being somewhat of a pain in the ass to use:

SenecaRF1a1912.jpg

antitrop

I think he was talking about the camera system used in the previous games. You know, to take pictures and exploit enemy weaknesses...

I dont know about anything like that returning, but I could imagine a camera from 1912 being somewhat of a pain in the ass to use

http://www.photographyhistory.com/CS04/SenecaRF1a1912.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

What a silly mechanic, I sure hope not. I only bothered with it for the Achievements.

DukeBobby

I dont know about anything like that returning, but I could imagine a camera from 1912 being somewhat of a pain in the ass to use

I wasn't a huge fan of the camera system implemented in Bioshock, so I will not be too distraught if it does not make a return.

SenecaRF1a1912.jpg

Researching is Bioshock is a little to grindy, it was much better in SS2 IMO.

I only ask because I dislike the camera system, and rather not deal with it again.

The audio logs are...completely illogical, but they do add texture to the world, and I can still move around the world while they're playing, so they're cool.

Top Bottom