• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

quaere

Sometimes it sucks though. Example: I was standing in a lift and was unable to properly hear what the speaker inside was saying as well as look outside to see what the game was showing me. To hear properly I had to take a step back and look directly up at the speaker, meaning I couldn't see the window anymore. I notice similar things with Elizabeth too. Sometimes she'll say stuff but it'll be SUPER muffled, and by the time I turn and figure out where she is she's stopped talking.
Yeah sound design in this game sucks. I don't care what other cool stuff you did with the effects or the music or whatever, if when I turn around the dialog volume drops from 100% to 5% your game is broken. This is not how it works in real life! I do not have to face a person to hear what they are saying.

Rest of the game is flat out amazing though. Except for the textures on 360. So awful. Good thing I'm switching to the PC version as soon as it unlocks. Anyone else still waiting for their AMD Never Settle code?

ekim

How will the game run on a GT 540M? dishonored ran at smooth 60FPS on 1366/16:10 resolution and high settings. (+i5@2,93 GHz and 8GB Ram)

ruxtpin

Banned
Difficult to say - I'm tempted to say 'neither' at this point. The differences to my eyes are minimal so far. A bit more tearing on the PS3, traded against what feels like less frame-drops than the 360 version.

At the moment I'm continuing on the PS3 because the tearing is relatively infrequent and it is slightly more crisp. I guess Digital Foundry will have an article up in the next day or so.

One thing I have noted is that Booker turns more slowly on the PS3 when sprinting. At first I thought I was imagining it, but I'm not - make the same turn on the PS3 and you can crash into walls and objects that you avoid on the 360. Increasing the Look sensitivity helped a little, but not completely. I guess Irrational need to patch it on one version or the other.

Are the textures between the two consoles equivalent?

Dragnet

Yeah sound design in this game sucks. I don't care what other cool stuff you did with the effects or the music or whatever, if when I turn around the dialog volume drops from 100% to 5% your game is broken. This is not how it works in real life! I do not have to face a person to hear what they are saying.

Happens in way too many games. Really annoying problem that isn't raised to the devs enough.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Bah, almost forgot to play the Industrial Revolution game. I forgot the thing would link to your Steam account if you bought it from there and was waiting for a key for some reason. Playing through it now.

Gacha-pin

I never really liked bioshock but Infinite looks tempting - how does it compare in terms of general gameplay from the original 2 bioshock games?

Big difference to me is I feel that I'm playing a standard FPS. I feel, in Bioshock 1 or 2, splicers are hanging around the Rapture and I encounter them but in Infinite, the enemies are placed on my path and wating for me to come. I don't know why I feel like this, level design or my playstyle makes me feel this way, I guess.

Dragnet

Big difference to me is I feel that I'm playing a standard FPS. I feel, in Bioshock 1 or 2, splicers are hanging around the Rapture and I encounter them but in Infinite, the enemies are placed on my path and wating for me to come. I don't know why I feel like this, level design or my playstyle makes me feel this way, I guess.

Well, the enemies in this game are the 'Police' so to speak who are actively trying to stop you, rather than simple inhabitants wandering around.

Andrew.

Banned
Bah, almost forgot to play the Industrial Revolution game. I forgot the thing would link to your Steam account if you bought it from there and was waiting for a key for some reason. Playing through it now.

Dont fret if you dont finish. There arent any end game in game rewards. You can stop once youve passed level 12 and are awarded the weapon and additional gene tonics gear vigors.

Sound design sucks? Unbelievable. BioShock's sound design was incredible.

Sounds like a very specific issue, namely things going quiet if you turn away from them. It is annoying, I've noticed it in other games, but it's not an indictment of the game's entire sound design.

Andrew.

Banned
Sounds like a very specific issue, namely things going quiet if you turn away from them. It is annoying, I've noticed it in other games, but it's not an indictment of the game's entire sound design.

We'll see if headphones make a difference but for right now Im not buying it. Could be hyperbole and/or bullshit. We'll all know for ourselves soon enough anyway.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I used spotflux to unlock Dishonored early, it was as simple as pressing a few buttons. I stayed in offline mode afterwards, just to be sure.

Stayed offline so Steam wouldn't detect the game or for other reasons?

I'm wanting to get back online after unlocking or not have to worry about being offline.

Mechazawa

Stayed offline so Steam wouldn't detect the game or for other reasons?

I'm wanting to get back online after unlocking or not have to worry about being offline.

If you go back online after unlocking a game that's still locked in your native region after using a VPN, the game will "relock" and you won't be able to play it again until you go back in the VPN.

So you want to stay offline if you want to keep playing it.

Dont fret if you dont finish. There arent any end game in game rewards. You can stop once youve passed level 12 and are awarded the weapon and additional gene tonics gear vigors.

waaaaaat so the level 59 rewards were just the twitter/facebook allegiance things? bah

Fink had some really weird pre-order bonuses. I suppose extra credits and such are fairly par for the course, but "increased sideways movement"?!? :D

Andrew.

Banned
48 hours? 48 hours... (Except for the Aussies and the Brits...)

bhCzNfq.gif

LiquidMetal14

If you go back online after unlocking a game that's still locked in your native region after using a VPN, the game will "relock" and you won't be able to play it again until you go back in the VPN.

So you want to stay offline if you want to keep playing it.

Bah lol

I will just wait until midnight I suppose ><

I'm pretty that your only have to play through the first 12 puzzles in-order to unlock the in-game bonuses.

Andrew.

Banned
Fink had some really weird pre-order bonuses. I suppose extra credits and such are fairly par for the course, but "increased sideways movement"?!? :D

I dont consider them weird at all. In fact, the Handyman damage vigor and that strafe and backup speed increase one seem like they'd be pretty useful in 1999.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Oh, and here was me about to slog through all 59 of these levels now. Thanks for that.

48 hours? 48 hours... (Except for the Aussies..)
34 hours here! (UK), Can't wait.

S1kkZ

just finished it. great game overall with some problems: framerate on console hits unplayable levels towards the end, game focuses to much on uninteresting combat situations in the last third and the terrible framerate doesnt help. strangely, there are some huge open areas with tons of combat options that dont have any framerate issued. must be really bad optimisation or a bug.

if you have any questions, shoot.

Andrew.

Banned
Looking forward to trade impressions with you Andrew. We will eat lots of sandwiches.

The late night discussions will be absolutely balls to the wall fucking insane in here this week. and I mean that in the best, goodest way possible.

Spoiler thread will have to go up on Tuesday.

Fjordson

just finished it. great game overall with some problems: framerate on console hits unplayable levels towards the end, game focuses to much on uninteresting combat situations in the last third and the terrible framerate doesnt help. strangely, there are some huge open areas with tons of combat options that dont have any framerate issued. must be really bad optimisation or a bug.

if you have any questions, shoot.
How's the city look? Wasted on consoles, or still interesting to explore (guessing the latter...hopefully)?

LiquidMetal14

Don't look now...

I was going to post about not posting it until Tuesday as most of us don't have the game yet but thought it would be too arrogant or whatever. I think it's too soon to talk spoilers. We should just hold it until we can all digest things but Tuesday would have seemed like a better fit for a spoiler thread.

So with the HD textures, it's a 25 GB game right? I need to know if my poor Solid State has the room

12GB for HD textures? I sure as hell hope the original textures get overwritten.

S1kkZ

How's the city look? Wasted on consoles, or still interesting to explore? Assuming the latter?

game looks great, some weak textures aside. its just the framerate in the first hour and last hour (or so). walking around in the city is amazing, much better realised than rapture.
but dont expect an open world city/world, its a linear game like bioshock but it gives you a bit of room to explore (its not a corridor shooter).

StuBurns

Banned
My biggest question, to anyone and everyone who's finished it, is does Elizabeth work? Does she ever get in the way, does she react how you expect? Do you care when she's in peril?

Everyone has been chasing doing that right, is this the one?

I've just been replaying the HL2s to get all the achievements, and the amount of times I screamed at Alyx during my no bullets playthru of EP1 was alarming.

Top Bottom