• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

just finished it. great game overall with some problems: framerate on console hits unplayable levels towards the end, game focuses to much on uninteresting combat situations in the last third and the terrible framerate doesnt help. strangely, there are some huge open areas with tons of combat options that dont have any framerate issued. must be really bad optimisation or a bug.

if you have any questions, shoot.

I hope the frame-rate on consoles doesn't ruin the experience for anyone, that would be a shame. Is it really that bad?

When will the hd textures be available for download? I don't wanna start the game without them.

Real reviews tonight, right? Can't wait for 8/10 defense force for games they've never played

Also, I'd like to see what Edge, Eurogamer, and RPS had to say

S1kkZ

My biggest question, to anyone and everyone who's finished it, is does Elizabeth work? Does she ever get in the way, does she react how you expect? Do you care when she's in peril?

Everyone has been chasing doing that right, is this the one?

I've just been replaying the HL2s to get all the achievements, and the amount of times I screamed at Alyx during my no bullets playthru of EP1 was alarming.

elizabeth never gets in the way, is always helpful and yes, she "works". but dont get fooled by the "beach" video that was uploaded 2 weeks ago.

NO STORY/SETTINGS/GAMEPLAY SPOILERS! but some people maybe dont want to know, since many felt the ign beach video was a spoiler.
the beach video showed how she interacted with a lot of things. well, she barely does that and she only does it in the beach area. that was a let down for sure.

I was going to post about not posting it until Tuesday as most of us don't have the game yet but thought it would be too arrogant or whatever. I think it's too soon to talk spoilers. We should just hold it until we can all digest things but Tuesday would have seemed like a better fit for a spoiler thread.

12GB for HD textures? I sure as hell hope the original textures get overwritten.

I don't know, I thought I saw that install size earlier, but the recommended specs are 30 gigs. . .

Fabrik

Banned
just finished it. great game overall with some problems: framerate on console hits unplayable levels towards the end, game focuses to much on uninteresting combat situations in the last third and the terrible framerate doesnt help. strangely, there are some huge open areas with tons of combat options that dont have any framerate issued. must be really bad optimisation or a bug.

How long did you take to finish it? How do you compare it to Bioshock?

StuBurns

Banned
elizabeth never gets in the way, is always helpful and yes, she "works". but dont get fooled by the "beach" video that was uploaded 2 weeks ago.

NO STORY/SETTINGS/GAMEPLAY SPOILERS! but some people maybe dont want to know, since many felt the ign beach video was a spoiler.
the beach video showed how she interacted with a lot of things. well, she barely does that and she only does it in the beach area. that was a let down for sure.
Thanks, I didn't see that video you mentioned, but it sounds like the sequence they'd shown of them in a shop where she's playing with various bits of tack and he's commenting on it, so I think I get the idea.

Dragnet

12 ish? i dont know. it was longer than most (or almost every) other shooter.
framerate aside, its a much better gane than bioshock overall.

Are you on 360 or PS3 dude? I'm on PS3 and I'm not seeing all the framerate issues you seem to be. I haven't finished the game yet mind you, but it wasn't terrible during the start of the game like you mention.

Fjordson

game looks great, some weak textures aside. its just the framerate in the first hour and last hour (or so). walking around in the city is amazing, much better realised than rapture.
but dont expect an open world city/world, its a linear game like bioshock but it gives you a bit of room to explore (its not a corridor shooter).

Definitely, definitely the latter. Don't worry.
Thanks guys.

Still lots of audio diaries as well, right?

Played around 5-6 hours and I really don't like the game. Made a SPOILER thread about it here:

It's pretty much more of the same to me, but keep in mind that I also didn't 'get' the brilliant of Bioshock 1. I was hoping that Infinite would set me straight and show me why Bioshock is brilliant, but it really just feels like another mediocre first person shooter to me and makes me scratch my head why people keep pointing out Bioshock when it comes to good storytelling in videogames.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
12 ish? i dont know. it was longer than most (or almost every) other shooter.
framerate aside, its a much better gane than bioshock overall.
"much" better game than the highest rated first person shooter of all time.

This will be interesting.

Tell me more, Patrick. This is what I like to hear.

The little stuff is amazing: Kids playing with a fire hydrant, the small side quests, people just minding their own business (working, enjoying their free time), the classic advertisments.
Sometimes I just stand there and enjoy the view of other parts of the city in the distance.

S1kkZ

i liked bs1 but i never felt it was the best shooter of all time or a masterpiece.

the core combat, the combat situations, the combat flow in infinite just shit on bioshock 1.
its a great shooter with fantastic atmosphere and a great world to explore.

The little stuff is amazing: Kids playing with a fire hydrant, the small side quests, people just minding their own business (working, enjoying their free time), the classic advertisments.

The people totally don't react to you and you can't talk to them. To me, the people in Links Awakening on the GameBoy had more character than the citizens of Columbia, cause you could at least talk them up and get some information or learn something about them. Walking around in Infinite feels like you're amongst actors and they've been specifically told to treat you like air.

game looks great, some weak textures aside. its just the framerate in the first hour and last hour (or so). walking around in the city is amazing, much better realised than rapture.
but dont expect an open world city/world, its a linear game like bioshock but it gives you a bit of room to explore (its not a corridor shooter).

Is it the best game you played this year? Do you like it more than Bioshock 1? Is exploration as big as it was in Bioshock, or less?

StuBurns

Banned

It's not the highest rated shooter of all time. It's forth. I know it's a stupid thing to mention, but that marketing is warping people's minds. It's the highest rated of the generation if you count averaged SKUs across all platforms, which means taking into account the bad PS3 port of The Orange Box.

S1kkZ

Is it the best game you played this year? Do you like it more than Bioshock 1? Is exploration as big as it was in Bioshock, or less?

best game i played this year? hard to say...i love mg rising and tomb raider was fantastic.
yes, i think its a much better game than bioshock 1.
a bit more exploration than bs1.

The people totally don't react to you and you can't talk to them. To me, the people in Links Awakening on the GameBoy had more character than the citizens of Columbia, cause you could at least talk them up and get some information or learn something about them. Walking around in Infinite feels like you're amongst actors and they've been specifically told to treat you like air.

Well, it's weird. I did steel a hotdog and popcorn from a street seller, who totally didn't mind, for example. On the other hand there were people (whose contact didn't have any benefit for the story whatsoever) reacting to me an starting conversations.

ironcreed

Banned
best game i played this year? hard to say...i love mg rising and tomb raider was fantastic.
yes, i think its a much better game than bioshock 1.
a bit more exploration than bs1.

Well, if it is better than the first Bioshock, then I think I'll be more than satisfied. As I loved the first one.

Sorry to hear about the framerate issues towards the end; that's unfortunate. I'm 3 hours in the PS3 version and its been sturdy throughout, apart from one small smoke-filled chamber to a room where the fps seemed to crap itself for some random reason.

Sometimes I just stand there and enjoy the view of other parts of the city in the distance.

I love this stuff, I'm going to spend hours just looking around to appreciate these things. It's a shame a lot of it will fly over most people's heads.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

what do you think of the way the guns felt vis-a-vis bioshock?

do you feel significant impetus to change up/vary powers or can you make it through with the wrench equivalent? (i'm on media blackout so I don't even know if the game has powers, but I'm just assuming)

are enemies responsive to gunfire?

is there significant enemy variety?

is the game full of fetch quests?

Sn4ke_911

I've heard it's part of the story.
Booker is not welcome in Columbia.

Derrick01

Banned
This game is really sounding uninteresting as more completed game impressions come in and start saying many of the same things. Things like too much boring combat in the last third.

I've heard it's part of the story.
Booker is not welcome in Columbia.

Booker isn't welcome after 5 minutes into the game, that I can get. But before that, all those models just stand around, completely ignoring you. Everything looks goddamn amazing, but the interactivity just isn't there. Which makes sense, cause it would've been a nightmarish production, but as a game / setting, it just feels fucking strange to run through a town and feeling like a ghost.

Sn4ke_911

This game is really sounding uninteresting as more completed game impressions come in and start saying many of the same things. Things like too much boring combat in the last third.
Time to cancel your pre-order, amirite Derrick?

ironcreed

Banned

Come on, Derrick. Try to have just a little optimism, my man. You never know, this might be one you have at least some fun with.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Meh, that's every AAA game now. Typical design doc for every game I've played this year has: start with limited exploration, introduce stealth, introduce enemy, introduce heavy enemy type, combat scenario, combat scenario, encounter with main villain, brief recovery/platforming segment, combat fuckfest until credits. If it's not too too bad I can deal. :)

legacyzero

Banned

You just gotta let yourself go Derrick. Let yourself goooooooo..... [dreamsequence][/dreamsequence]

Derrick01

Banned
Come on, Derrick. Try to have just a little optimism, my man. You never know, this might be one you have at least some fun with.

I have "some" fun with most games I play.

Meh, that's every AAA game now. Typical design doc for every game I've played this year has: start with limited exploration, introduce stealth, introduce enemy, introduce heavy enemy type, combat scenario, combat scenario, encounter with main villain, brief recovery/platforming segment, combat fuckfest until credits. If it's not too too bad I can deal. :)

Damn that does sound like most of the big games I've played in the last few years too. They really are becoming that predictable, I never sat around and thought about it as detailed as that.

Sn4ke_911

It's not the highest rated shooter of all time. It's forth. I know it's a stupid thing to mention, but that marketing is warping people's minds. It's the highest rated of the generation if you count averaged SKUs across all platforms, which means taking into account the bad PS3 port of The Orange Box.

2013-03-2415_44_28-bi85b2x.png

S1kkZ

what do you think of the way the guns felt vis-a-vis bioshock?

do you feel significant impetus to change up/vary powers or can you make it through with the wrench equivalent? (i'm on media blackout so I don't even know if the game has powers, but I'm just assuming)

are enemies responsive to gunfire?

is there significant enemy variety?

is the game full of fetch quests?

-guns felt better but still not as great as in really great shooters (like halo for example). still, an improvement over bs1.

-i really liked the powers a lot more than in bs1. they "feel" a lot better when you use them and work better in the overall combat flow. i had to switch it up a bit thoughout the game, i mostly used 3-5 powers.

-enemies are more responsive to the powers in combination with the gunfire. it alse depends which gun you use. its ok.

-not as much as i hoped. 2-3 more enemy types would have been nice.

-no fetch quests, there is one mission where you back track a little bit. there are optional side quests, which can be ignored.

S1kkZ

Thanks.

When the framerate goes bad again in last hour or so: Do you mean drops or tearing?

i am on 360 btw.

i had to unlock the framerate torwards the end, since the framerate became way to low. when unlocked, you have a shitload of tearing and still a bad framerate, just slightly better and more playable.

@derrick01: the combat torwards the end is mostly bad because the framerate on console shits itself.

NAPK1NS

See, I think this is a good decision. If you do one NPC conversation, you gotta' do 'em all, and that isn't what the game is about. You don't want to teach the player its "that kind of game," it wrinkles the pacing. Plus, that's another huge development chunk you gotta' bite out.

JB1981

Which console you play on? Never mind I saw your edit. I doubt PS3 will be much better since this is UE tech

solarus

I have "some" fun with most games I play.

Damn that does sound like most of the big games I've played in the last few years too. They really are becoming that predictable, I never sat around and thought about it as detailed as that.
Derrick for some reason knows he is going to hate the game before-hand but buys it day one regardless, i mean you played tomb raider and hitman and hated both. Can't really blame anykne but yourself. The same will happen for this. Why not stop playing so many games if there are only a tiny selection that meets your criteria (like every obsidian game). Anyway, my excitement is pretty tempered for this title right now, all that talk from levine about the delta from this game to infinite being enormous (think infinite) and i'm sure at some point he had said the only link is bioshock in the title seems like bs.

Top Bottom