• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

S1kkZ

like i said earlier: the framerate is only bad in the first and last hour. its mostly 30 during the rest of the game.

ironcreed

Banned
i am on 360 btw.

i had to unlock the framerate torwards the end, since the framerate became way to low. when unlocked, you have a shitload of tearing and still a bad framerate, just slightly better and more playable.

@derrick01: the combat torwards the end is mostly bad because the framerate on console shits itself.

Should be interesting to see if other reviewers put a bigger spotlight on this. While IGN said it has some hitches on consoles, it certainly did not factor into the .1 difference between versions in the final score. Then again, we are talking an exclusive review from IGN here. At any rate, I hope the PS3 version does not collapse under it's on weight like that.

Stark

Banned
i am on 360 btw.

i had to unlock the framerate torwards the end, since the framerate became way to low. when unlocked, you have a shitload of tearing and still a bad framerate, just slightly better and more playable.

@derrick01: the combat torwards the end is mostly bad because the framerate on console shits itself.

So the problems are mostly performance issues?

Should be interesting to see if other reviewers put a bigger spotlight on this. While IGN said it has some hitches on consoles, it certainly did not factor into the .1 difference between versions in the final score. Then again, we are talking an exclusive review from IGN here. At any rate, I hope the PS3 version does not collapse under it's on weight like that.
PS3 does just fine at 720p. IGN cranked out a review that was superficial at best. There's a lot that they should have mentioned in the eyes of the consumer or even a fan that was keeping track of this game over the past couple years. I'm sure there was some kind of exchange that resembles a moneyhat or at the very least a pseudo-moneyhat.

W...what the hell is this? Oh god I need to lay down before I have a stroke.
Huh? IIRC, I'm pretty sure Ken and crew got the idea of being trapped on an abandoned spaceship from Halo: CE and its first level "The Pillar of Autumn."
They must be discounting Metroid Prime, which I guess is okay, even still, it's misleading. Halo CE has a metacritic of 97, averaging that with the PC port to lower it is just wrong.
Metacritic! Pfft.

spirity

This game is really sounding uninteresting as more completed game impressions come in and start saying many of the same things. Things like too much boring combat in the last third.

You mean you're going to end up not liking this game?

WHAAAAAT THE FUUUUCK

I posted this on the Halo community OT, there is a large amount of BS fans on there.

I might as well add it here, I've added some stuff after playing some more. Specifically the tears and two weapon limit.

Well I'm some hours (possibly 5-6 hours) into Infinite, so here are my initial thoughts on it, I'm not going to say anything about the story.

The game itself is an incredible sequel, Irrational do many things in infinite that really resonates with me.

The first thing is that they have created a world, contrasting with rapture but built up with interesting characters and ideologies. They've populated it with grandeur and mystery far beyond what I thought was possible this gen.

Certainly it costs them, there is a regular occurrence of stuttering, although I don't think as much as you would get if you installed the disk (I have it installed). But, there is an ability to unlock the framerate to provide a smoother experience at the expense of graphical fidelity.

Everything else is top notch, you can see and hear style ooze throughout every inch of the game, the music sublime, the menu is awesome, I could just leave it on there for a couple of minutes.

Now, in relation to the gameplay, this is Bioshock through and through, yet, more polished. The most common criticism of BS1 was that the gunplay was quite poor. I think they've done a marvellous job to bring that up to scratch, it now plays as good you would expect from a traditional shoot bang game. The sky hook is a very thrilling and novel way to travel, and in combat situations, the whole game when using the sky hook, plasmids and guns, it just clicks.

Then there are tears, and these really open up useful options during combat, I'll explain one battle, it was the battle before the gondola ride, the whole place is set up to exploit, as I'm waiting to fight the men who enter the area, I quickly dispose of two before accessing the skyline, at this moment I'm getting pegged. So I ask Elizabeth to 'tear' in some cover, as I land behind it, I lay a crow trap. The men who were pinging me with bullets, give chase on the skyline, my health is low, Elizabeth tosses me a health pack, I get back on the skyline and go to a rooftop which contains a sniper rifle tear, Elizabeth calls it in, I aim to where I layed the crow traps to see men stumbling and proceed to literally snipe their heads off. Just glorious amounts of possibility.

In relation to the two weapon limit this is perhaps the first game since Halo ODST (and before that Halo CE), where I have genuinely had to pause and consider which two weapons will benefit me before entering the next area.

Two tips, if you want to maximise the better FPS mechanics you should choose the second controller option, which put ADS on the left trigger and plasmids on the LB. The second tip is that you should start the game on the hard difficulty, it is pretty easy so far.

Irrational have also delved into issues such as racism and religion with great depth, this is evident from how game presents such issues, either graphically or through audio diaries. They have confronted those issues, whereas other devs would shy away from them.

And as a last word, to those on here who are big BS fans, what can I say? Well, remember seeing Rapture for the first time? Exploring its wonder and mystery and being satisfied by it all? Well, be prepared to have that feeling all over again.

FartOfWar

Banned
Crazier in what context? That's what I would ask. They have a game to sell and I am not mad at them. For all of the technical struggles they had to go through to meet this day... get the darn game and enjoy it for what it is.
In other words, don't search for moments that you remembered in the trailers as grand and visually spectacular. They had reasons to compromise their target product.

edit: But I could be wrong if console versions are substantially different from PC. I would guess no...

I don't wan't to have a black barred spoiler discussion before the game is officially out, but once that's cool I'll point you to the encounters I have in mind.

HD textures? Are we getting the shitty console textures by default on the PC? That HD texture pack better be available day one. :(

I was under the impression that the pre load does NOT include HD textures and that we would have access to them (hopefully) on launch. However I'm still trying to figure out if it's actually gonna hit the "recommended" 30 gigs or not.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone else finding it kind of funny that most of the people in here that have gotten early copies of the game didn't care for Bioshock much? Why did they go out of their way to get the game early at full price then? Not trying to start some kind of conspiracy accusation, it's just amusing. I also love that several people's final impressions have been, "Meh, it's alright. Way better than Bioshock, at least." I don't think they realize how high of a complement that is to most of us in here.

FartOfWar

Banned
Shawn I saw your name in the credits and had to smile just because I remember reading your name back in the EGM days had to think of how you how you got be involved with a project like this.

I've been mulling the game over in my head for a few hours now.

Congrats man. To you and the rest of the team.

Thanks disappeared. And of course I remember you from way back too.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Anyone else finding it kind of funny that most of the people in here that have gotten early copies of the game didn't care for Bioshock much? Why did they go out of their way to get the game early at full price then? Not trying to start some kind of conspiracy accusation, it's just amusing. I also love that several people's final impressions have been, "Meh, it's alright. Way better than Bioshock, at least." I don't think they realize how high of a complement that is to most of us in here.

I imagine a bunch of people here pirated it but will pass some story off that lets them talk about it. Much of the discussion came immediately after it leaked.

So I heard that
the game forces you to kill enemies in order to advance, and then one of the main villains chastises you as a murderer...

Is that true? Because I HATE when games do that.

I'm kind of split on spoiler threads. It's great not reading through pages upon pages of black bars, but the OT kind of dies out when game comes out and everyone plays it.

Vire

i am on 360 btw.

When you say bad framerate what do you mean? 20 FPS? 25 FPS? 27ish?

Or less? :X

How long does it last?

What's strange is I watched the first half hour or so and didn't notice many framerate drops besides when Booker melee's. *Shrug*

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I imagine a bunch of people here pirated it but will pass some story off that lets them talk about it. Much of the discussion came immediately after it leaked.
That's true but i a least like to give gaffers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to piracy and several of them have proven they have legit copies. My friend that pirates everything is downloading it now and I've been threatening him for months in case he spoils it for me. He's the worst person about casually dropping spoilers that I've ever met. It's never intentional or malicious, he just forgets that some of us have to wait until release and don't finish things in one sitting like he does. He also usually drops the most major plot points too. I wish I could temporarily block him on my phone and Facebook until I'm done.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wait, you can lock the framerate at 60 on consoles?

Awesome, will definitely do that.
No, you can uncap it so it'll run at over 30 but it sounds like it never hits 60 and introduces some nasty tearing. That feature was in the first two but it sounds like they fared much better without it. I remember Bioshock 2 was really smooth uncapped on PS3 and I never noticed any tearing, which I hate with a firey passion.

FartOfWar

Banned
I posted this on the Halo community OT, there is a large amount of BS fans on there.

I might as well add it here, I've added some stuff from after playing some more. Specifically the tears and two weapon limit.

Well I'm some hours (possibly 5-6 hours) into Infinite, so here are my initial thoughts on it, I'm not going to say anything about the story.

The game itself is an incredible sequel, Irrational do many things in infinite that really resonates with me.

The first thing is that they have created a world, contrasting with rapture but built up with interesting characters and ideologies. They've populated it with grandeur and mystery far beyond what I thought was possible this gen.

Certainly it costs them, there is a regular occurrence of stuttering, although I don't think as much as you would get if you installed the disk (I have it installed). But, there is an ability to unlock the framerate to provide a smoother experience at the expense of graphical fidelity.

Everything else top notch and you can see and hear style ooze throughout every inch of the game, the music sublime, the menu is awesome, I could just leave it on there for a couple of minutes.

Now, in relation to the gameplay, this is Bioshock through and through, yet, more polished. The most common criticism of BS1 was that the gunplay was quite poor. I think they've done a marvellous job to bring that up to scratch, it now plays as good you would expect from a traditional shoot bang game. The sky hook is a very thrilling and novel way to travel, and in combat situations, the whole game when using the sky hook, plasmids and guns, it just clicks.

Then there are tears, and these really open up useful options during combat, I'll explain one battle, it was the battle before the gondola ride, the whole place is set up to exploit, as I'm waiting to fight the men who enter the area, I quickly dispose of two before accessing the skyline, at this moment I'm getting pegged. So I ask Elizabeth to 'tear' in some cover, as I land behind it, I lay a crow trap. The men who were pinging me with bullets, give chase on the skyline, my health is low, Elizabeth tosses me a health pack, I get back on the skyline and go to a rooftop which contains a sniper rifle tear, Elizabeth calls it in, I aim to where I layed the crow traps to see men stumbling and proceed to literally snipe their heads off. Just glorious amounts of possibility.

In relation to the two weapon limit this is perhaps the first game since Halo ODST (and before that Halo CE), where I have genuinely had to pause and consider which two weapons will benefit me before entering the next area.

Two tips, if you want to maximise the better FPS mechanics you should choose the second controller option, which put ADS on the left trigger and plasmids on the LB. the second tip is that start the game on hard, it is pretty easy so far.

Irrational have also delved into issues such as racism and religion with great depth, this is evident from how game presents such issues, either graphically or through audio diaries. They have confronted those issues whereas other devs would shy away from.

And as a last word, to those on here who are big BS fans, what can I say? Well, remember seeing Rapture for the first time? Exploring its wonder and mystery and being satisfied by it all? Well, be prepared to have that feeling all over again.

Love this post for obvious reasons and agree that GAF should play Hard and use the controller config you mention (marksman).

Fracas

#fuckonami
No, you can uncap it so it'll run at over 30 but it sounds like it never hits 60 and introduces some nasty tearing. That feature was in the first two but it sounds like they fared much better without it. I remember Bioshock 2 was really smooth uncapped on PS3 and I never noticed any tearing, which I hate with a firey passion.

Aw, that's disappointing to hear. I don't care about graphics as much, but I definitely want solid performance.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Love this post for obvious reasons and agree that GAF should play Hard and use the controller config you mention (marksman).
Thanks for quoting that post, I missed it. Sounds exactly like what I was hoping for. The next couple days are going to be brutal.

Vire

So is Hard like Heroic in Halo? Where veterans of the series should play that?

I kinda just want to enjoy it and not get frustrated the first time through, not sure if I should play hard or normal.

Dragnet

So is Hard like Heroic in Halo? Where veterans of the series should play that?

I kinda just want to enjoy it and not get frustrated the first time through, not sure if I should play hard or normal.

Go normal. It still gets kinda crazy toward the end.

NAPK1NS

It's kind of surreal that this launches tomorrow.

I was wrapping up high school when I watched that unveiling trailer. I remember sitting in my chair, slack jawed. Considering the setting I said out loud, "wow, that is such a good idea."

Now I'm almost done college and here it is. I've never lost sight of my desire to play it, and it looks amazing.

Ahh, feels good, fellas. I wonder if I'll have the patience to download that HD pack first or if I will just jump in at midnight. AHH little school girl syndrome!

Thanks.

Although, I'm sticking to default, I'm used to 'zooming in' with the right stick because of Halo's.

The only game that I play on a regular basis that has ADS on the left trigger is battlefield.

Zeliard

Go 1999 then

Hard + 1999 still seems like the way to go tbh, especially given the way the game is built. It already makes you specialize in certain ways so you may as well take that even further.

People who have played with 1999 mode have said that it particularly doesn't mess around when it comes to the economy. There ain't much cash, and a lot of stuff uses it (including respawning). It will just making choosing what to spend money on that much more meaningful.

S1kkZ

When you say bad framerate what do you mean? 20 FPS? 25 FPS? 27ish?

Or less? :X

How long does it last?

What's strange is I watched the first half hour or so and didn't notice many framerate drops besides when Booker melee's. *Shrug*

it mostly hovers around 27-30 ish (thats the area where most people dont notice the stutter but i do) but when it drops, it feels like low 20's sometimes.

Top Bottom