• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Vire

See, I didn't really enjoy the hard mode in Bioshock 1.

The gunplay wasn't good or deep enough to differentiate the skill needed from normal to hard.

It didn't feel like I was required to play differently, just that the enemies had more health.

Maybe since the gunplay is better in Infinite, it's more worthwhile.

bumclot

it mostly hovers around 27-30 ish (thats the area where most people dont notice the stutter but i do) but when it drops, it feels like low 20's sometimes.

So you notice stutter at 30 fps? Must be a bitch to play the majority of console games.

S1kkZ

guys: first and last hour, rest is fine(ish). and that area in the last bit has to be a bug or something. i diont get why one of the worst and most bland looking areas performs so bad, while others (huge open areas with lot of combat) dont.

Wonderfalls

Neo Member
Are the textures between the two consoles equivalent?

I think so, yes, but the 360 applies what I assume to be more aggressive AA which means that in a side-by-side comparison the PS3 looks slightly more crisp. Detail on distant buildings is slightly better defined for example. But it looks great on both consoles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
guys: first and last hour, rest is fine(ish). and that area in the last bit has to be a bug or something. i diont get why one of the worst and most bland looking areas performs so bad, while others (huge open areas with lot of combat) dont.

Sounds like some random memory leak or something. I remember Orange Box PS3 was like that. Performance would tank with nothing was happening but busy areas would be OK.

Vire

sometimes, yes.

tumblr_lg7upwggMI1qb7196.gif

God damnit.

ME1 was painful for me.

Did you install the game to your harddrive? Maybe that helps? I dunno... :/

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I'm not a crazy framerate junkie like some of you. That's not to say I like framerate crashes, I'm just not as sensitised to it. I'm perfectly happy with 30fps and don't really care about 60. And I have to say that I haven't had any really bad drops at all yet on 360 installed to hard drive.

Also I was just in the biggest fight yet and still no drops. And I just want to say it was awesome. It felt almost like that 'gameplay' demo from E3 2011. Everything clicked and I felt like a total badass.

iFirez

Sorry if this has been discussed previously but can we download the High-Res textures straight away at midnight of release or will there be a delay? And we're sure they are not included in the steam pre-load already?

Vire

There's really only been two or three times I've been visibly annoyed by the framerate of a console game. So I'm not super sensitive, but it still bothers me...

1. Blighttown in Dark Souls

2. Mass Effect 1

3. Shadow of The Colossus

Quesa

Love this post for obvious reasons and agree that GAF should play Hard and use the controller config you mention (marksman).

Any config recs for PC/Mouse? Pretty sure I'll use right/left mouse for aiming/shooting, but not sure where vigors would go.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm not a crazy framerate junkie like some of you. That's not to say I like framerate crashes, I'm just not as sensitised to it. I'm perfectly happy with 30fps and don't really care about 60. And I have to say that I haven't had any really bad drops at all yet on 360 installed to hard drive.

Also I was just in the biggest fight yet and still no drops. And I just want to say it was awesome. It felt almost like that 'gameplay' demo from E3 2011. Everything clicked and I felt like a total badass.

Good to hear that everything does eventually click. That was one of my biggest worried from the, admittedly limited, footage I've seen. Going between guns, tonics, Elizabeth throwing guns, deciding what tears to open, and moving between skylines and ground seemed awesome but almost like it would be too much to do all at once or all in one fight. I love options but was worried that some would be too easily ignored or cumbersome to use.

FartOfWar

Banned

Which fight? Spoiler bar or pm response of course.

What part? I wouldn't mind going for a second run since I'm starting to think I played like a sissy cat.

edit: the bookmarks throughout the game are a godsend.

Zeliard

Any config recs for PC/Mouse? Pretty sure I'll use right/left mouse for aiming/shooting, but not sure where vigors would go.

Vigors on the number keys, possibly also Q and E for your most frequently used ones (or other nearby unused keys). You're limited to two weapons this time so the scroll wheel will work well enough for that.

Vigors on the number keys, possibly also Q and E for your most frequently used ones (or other nearby unused keys). You're limited to two weapons this time so the scroll wheel will work well enough for that.
If it's like BS1, then the function keys are for plasmids/vigors.

oh wait, recommendations. Not sure. The function keys did well for me. I'm not sure if weapons are limited in PC version but if two then follow what zeliard said.

Dragnet

There's really only been two or three times I've been visibly annoyed by the framerate of a console game. So I'm not super sensitive, but it still bothers me...

1. Blighttown in Dark Souls

2. Mass Effect 1

3. Shadow of The Colossus

It's nowhere near any of those levels.

Zeliard

If it's like BS1, then the function keys are for plasmids/vigors.

True but that's because in Bioshock the number keys were taken up by weapon binds. That shouldn't be the case this time around (by default), I don't think, since you only have two weapons at any given time.

bidguy

Banned
lol just went to the season pass store (ingame on 360) and it says FREE.

When I click on it its -1msp. Was worth a try though.

Mechazawa

Shawn, do you happen to know if Infinite allows mid-game difficulty switching?

I'll take the "do Hard first play through" to heart if the game has a safety net.

Edit: Or hell, anyone that can answer that really.

bidguy

Banned

I'll take the "do Hard first play through" to heart if the game has a safety net.

You can but I don't know if it tampers with achievements if you do.

True but that's because in Bioshock the number keys were taken up by weapon binds. That shouldn't be the case this time around (by default), I don't think, since you only have two weapons at any given time.
I did not think about that, so that sounds about right. The IGN review really did not keep me informed at all. Games industry :'(

Dragnet

It does. It'll affect your trophies/achievements though!

Well hi there, grandma!

It's not something I'm proud of y'know? I never play a game on anything above easy/normal. I still get a challenge it's so odd. People say CoD takes no skill, then explain how I go 5-23 deaths a match and always rank dead last?

NAPK1NS

Any pre-Infinite plans here?

Fuck it, I'm gonna' really party it up and vacuum. Make the place real spiffy for bes gayme evr.

Meh, that's every AAA game now. Typical design doc for every game I've played this year has: start with limited exploration, introduce stealth, introduce enemy, introduce heavy enemy type, combat scenario, combat scenario, encounter with main villain, brief recovery/platforming segment, combat fuckfest until credits. If it's not too too bad I can deal. :)

Ouch. When you put it like that...

Funny you mention this, I'm finally on Act 5 again in Vanquish, and I'm noticing how used to the breaks/breathers I've been getting in a lot of games recently when compared to something which barely takes it's foot off the throttle except to do change things up.

Top Bottom