• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Don't worry, I'm the same. Well, I just always stick to normal anyway. Never below or never higher. Never felt compelled to play in higher or lower settings.

*high five*

Looks like we got a bunch of casual, "mainstream" players up in here.

I hope you know I beat Dark Souls. I'm also one that prefers a challenge...which is why I play on easy as even on easy I get a challenge. The only subversion was Dragon Age: Origins, casual was too easy. I went to nightmare and still steamrolled everyone...I blame my character build.

Wonderfalls

Neo Member
Shawn, are you able to confirm if this difference I've experienced is deliberate or a bug please? I got both versions from SimplyGames in the UK yesterday (as I couldn't decide which version to buy <sigh>), and whilst I'm continuing my playthrough on the PS3 it would be good to know what's going on there.

One thing I have noted is that Booker turns more slowly on the PS3 when sprinting. At first I thought I was imagining it, but I'm not - make the same turn on the PS3 and you can crash into walls and objects that you avoid on the 360. Increasing the Look sensitivity helped a little, but not completely. I guess Irrational need to patch it on one version or the other.

The game is awesome, and zipping around on the skyhook is absolutely amazing.

It's kind of surreal that this launches tomorrow.

I was wrapping up high school when I watched that unveiling trailer.

Now I'm almost done college and here it is.

By no means do I intened to sound like an ass.
But does anyone else see the humor in this?

I make mistakes all the time, and hate it when I leave a word or two out which tends to happen when I'm using my phone.

OT: I should be finishing my Bioshock 2 playthrough later today. I haven't played it since release and it runs so well on PC. I took Monday and Tuesday off of work to play Infinite. Though, judging by the download size it'll be a while after unlock even with the preload. But, I live in Hawaii so it unlocks at 1800 for me which means I'll be able to play around 1930ish after I am done downloading the rest of the game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Shawn, are you able to confirm if this difference I've experienced is deliberate or a bug please? I got both versions from SimplyGames in the UK yesterday (as I couldn't decide which version to buy <sigh>), and whilst I'm continuing my playthrough on the PS3 it would be good to know what's going on there.

Since you have both versions, any conclusive comparisons on graphics?

So is normal too easy? I wanna focus on the story on my first playthrough but I don't have fun without challenge. Would appreciate some input, thanks.

Animator

Just picked up the season pass for free with the GMG preorder credit. This has been the best gaming deal ever.

infinite + darkness 2 + bioshock 1 + xcom + $15 instant credit + $15 cashback after game comes out for 60 bucks. Gotta love pc gaming.

NAPK1NS

By no means do I intened to sound like an ass.
But does anyone else see the humor in this?

I make mistakes all the time, and hate it when I leave a word or two out which tends to happen when I'm using my phone.
Considering how there's nothing incorrect with what I said... I think you might be on your lonesome. But thanks for your feedback, we take it very seriously.

Wonderfalls

Neo Member
Since you have both versions, any conclusive comparisons on graphics?

I posted a few impressions earlier. I'm no expert but this is what I've experienced in the first 90 minutes on both copies.

360: Barely tears, drops frames with v-sync locked. More aggressive AA.
PS3: Tears occasionally with v-sync locked, doesn't seem to drop frames like the 360. Slightly more crisp in a side-by-side (different AA?).

I need to pick a version, trade the other and play the damn game though ;)

~Kinggi~

Banned
Everything is subjective when it comes to performance and image quality. We need some hard comparisons. I hate multi-console releases.

Zeliard

Just picked up the season pass for free with the GMG preorder credit. This has been the best gaming deal ever.

infinite + darkness 2 + bioshock 1 + xcom + $15 instant credit + $15 cashback after game comes out for 60 bucks. Gotta love pc gaming.

You get both credit and cashback? Seems like you pick between the two.

Jinjo

Everything is subjective when it comes to performance and image quality. We need some hard comparisons. I hate multi-console releases.

The life of a multi-console owner is a rough one indeed. Been going back and forth between which version I'm gonna get. Currently I'm at 360 lol.

ryz

Short question: I've replayed Bioshock a month ago, then a few weeks later System Shock 2 and System Shock last just this friday.

I haven't played BioShock 2 at all, just the first 10 minutes or so, right after BioShock, before feeling the "series fatigue" mentioned in the OP.

Should i play BioShock 2 before Infinite? I fear i will "miss" something, not particularly story-wise, but also on the mechanics side.

On the other side, i don't want to experience "series fatigue" again.

Help, guys. :/

Short question: I've replayed Bioshock a month ago, then a few weeks later System Shock 2 and System Shock last just this friday.

I haven't played BioShock 2 at all, just the first 10 minutes or so, right after BioShock, before feeling the "series fatigue" mentioned in the OP.

Should i play BioShock 2 before Infinite? I fear i will "miss" something, not particularly story-wise, but also on the mechanics side.

You won't miss anything if you skip BioShock 2. It's a good game, and Minerva's Den is awesome, but don't be worried about missing anything.

Unless 2K enforced some sort of continuity between Infinite and B2, I would speculate that the answer is no, and I consider B2 a superior game to 1.

NAPK1NS

BioShock 2's best effort was in the gameplay department. It reconsidered some of the quirks in the original. For instance, ammo switching is instantaneous, and hacking was tied to a real-time reaction mini game. The research camera was replaced with a video device. Instead of catching a single moment, you try to produce a series of destructive acts to rack the highest score. It was a nice change.

The story and level design aren't up to snuff -- all in my opinion, of course. Overall, the corridors were more winding and disorienting. The story was certainly above average, but comes off as an attempt at mirroring the successes of the first game. Some of the side stories tied to the audio logs were nice.

It's not a necessary play, nor a bad one. If you have a little time post-Infinite, I recommend it.

FartOfWar

Banned

I have no idea on that sorry.

Eh, I've been gaming my whole life. I've just never been brilliant at it. It's called ability or more like, lack of.

I'm pretty much the Titus Bramble of gaming.

I hope everyone realizes I'm being sarcastic. :)
BioShock 2's best effort was in the gameplay department. It reconsidered some of the quirks in the original. For instance, ammo switching is instantaneous, and hacking was tied to a real-time reaction mini game. The research camera was replaced with a video device. Instead of catching a single moment, you try to produce a series of destructive acts to rack the highest score. It was a nice change.

The story and level design aren't up to snuff -- all in my opinion, of course. Overall, the corridors were more winding and disorienting. The story was certainly above average, but comes off as an attempt at mirroring the successes of the first game. Some of the side stories tied to the audio logs were nice.

It's not a necessary play, nor a bad one. If you have a little time post-Infinite, I recommend it.
I only played BioShock 2 through once but I remember enjoying most of the levels as much as the original. Fontaine Futuristics was FANTASTIC.

Going to Gamestop before work to throw down a pre-order.

Still can't decide between Limited or Songbird edition. :(

Going to grab the season pass as well, so I can get $20 off the limited edition guide.

NAPK1NS

Going to Gamestop before work to throw down a pre-order.

Still can't decide between Limited or Songbird edition. :(

Going to grab the season pass as well, so I can get $20 off the limited edition guide.
Brah, no chance they'll have Songbirds left. Try and grab an extra at midnight, that would be your best bet.

I am pretty sure you get both because there was no option to pick between the two. It said the cashback will be applied couple days after the game is out.
You can only choose one in the checkout.

Top Bottom