• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

antitrop

I'd like to know if there will be a difference. Mine's running 47 C idle and it's clean as it'll ever be outside of the packaging. The space it's in is really roomy and the ambient temp here is pretty chilly too.
Oh, there's a difference. When my GPU is freshly cleaned it runs at about 30 idle. And it's a GTX 590, which is known for running stupidly hot.

Derrick01

Banned
I have to remind myself to clean out my GPU tomorrow before the game unlocks. It's running 51 degrees idle. O_O

I just got home from work, I'm too lazy to do it today.

Mine normally runs 46-47 idle. GTX 470s do not have the best cooling solutions in them lol.

First thing I thought of was Derrick, but I'm just being mean and out of context now.

I'm no whiny pussy when it comes to "controversial" themes. You can say or call me anything, I don't give a shit.

papercamm

I like how the tradition of mutating the protagonists hand varies depending on what you have equipped. It seems even more horrific in this game than in Bioshock 1 too.

Oh, there's a difference. When my GPU is freshly cleaned it runs at about 30 idle. And it's a GTX 590, which is known for running stupidly hot.
I'm on a GTS 250. This is either some kind of witchcraft or a simple factor that I didn't consider. Logic points towards witchcraft.

In all seriousness, it's probably mainly due to the cheap "low noise" fan that comes with it.

GlamFM

Banned
What a difference a day makes...

Unfortunately the game can't hold the very high level of awesome it sets up in the very beginning.

In fact it has some issues. Some mechanics don't work so great, some are broken and some are almost not present anymore.

Some parts feel rushed and some feel weird.

Troubled development? Probably.

Still a great game, but it has problems.
Feels and looks like a game that came out a couple of years ago.

I'm 6 hours in and so far it's a 7/10 for me.

Of course that might change if the story goes to some awesome places.

We'll see.

R3TRODYCE

Unfortunately the game can't hold the very high level of awesome it sets up in the very beginning.

In fact it has some issues. Some mechanics don't work so great, some are broken and some are almost not present anymore.

Of course that might change if the store goes to some awesome places.

We'll see.
This is what I expected tbh.

antitrop

I'm on a GTS 250. This is either some kind of witchcraft or a simple factor that I didn't consider. Logic points towards witchcraft.

In all seriousness, it's probably mainly due to the cheap "low noise" fan that comes with it.
Sorry, sorry, after I re-read the post I realized that I undershot that by about 10 degrees, just got home from work, I'm tired. It normally idles at the high 30s and low 40s when it's clean.

But still, 51 is way too high and it's completely obvious that my GPU is full of dust, even though I just cleaned it ~2 months ago with compressed air and Q-Tips. I should vacuum more or something, I don't even have pets.

We'll see.
Damn, I would have hoped the delay fixed this, what version are you playing?

Vire

We'll see.
Could you elaborate on the problems exactly? Saying the game has problems and not mentioning them isn't really helpful.

antitrop

Journey 2.0
If Journey was even like 20 minutes longer than it was, I probably wouldn't have finished it.
I was getting very tired of the formula by the end of that (finished it one sitting, obviously, like everyone).

Still, I cried at the end and had a wonderful experience. It's just that I almost felt like I reached the point where I just didn't want to play any more. Thank God that was at the end.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If Journey was even like 20 minutes longer than it was, I probably wouldn't have finished it.
I was getting very tired of the formula by the end of that (finished it one sitting, obviously, like everyone).

Still, I cried at the end and had a wonderful experience. It's just that I almost felt like I reached the point where I just didn't want to play any more. Thank God that was at the end.

Oh, I totally agree. I was the sickest I've ever been in my life when I played it. The end made me so happy but I would have literally passed out if I sat upright for any longer.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
BioShock Infinite Review – Before Rapture, There Was Columbia

2013-03-2423_15_59-biqiy26.png

Derrick01

Banned
lol relax guys my 660 ti runs at 83c under load in my alienware x-51. I'm pretty sure you guys in the 50c range will be fine.

That's what my GPU gets in most modern games. The really tough games like Witcher 2 and Crysis 2 will push it to 92-93 but I've never ever seen it go higher than that thankfully.

GlamFM

Banned
Could you elaborate on the problems exactly? Saying the game has problems and not mentioning them isn't really helpful.

I would, but it's kind of spoiler-ish. Because there are to mechanics I didn't know of before playing the game.

Andrew.

Banned

Something got into my eye during the sand surfing segment. The music, everything just hit like a ton of bricks..

No argument there, but you know how intolerant and sensitive some folks are. The least little thing will send them flying off the handle. Hopefully that will be minimal here, but I am some how doubting it.

I find shitty writing offensive, which is what results from most writers attempting to communicate a controversial message through these sorts of mediums. I can think of games that did an okay job with political themes (e.g. Bioshock 1+2), but Assassin's Creed, Blacksite: Area 51 et al are just cringeworthy. A socio-political message is going to be held up to infinitely greater scrutiny than your average plot hole.

antitrop

Blacksite: Area 51

Hahaha, I remember that game. It starts out in Iraq in what is probably the worst video game representation of a theatre of combat in the history of video games.

And then gets worse from there. It was one of the first games I bought for my PS3, deeply regretted it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hahaha, I remember that game. It starts out in Iraq in what is probably the worst video game representation of a theatre of combat in the history of video games.

And then gets worse from there. It was one of the first games I bought for my PS3, deeply regretted it.

That sounds hilarious. Time to hit Youtube to see.

CrazyDude

I thought Area 51 was a ps2 game.

My sure about expected, usually just min-max
Good enough. I'm ignorant of the nature of GPUs so I'll accept that as their standard way of telling you if something's wrong or not.
The Infinite icon under my XMB Game Data section is a fucking troll and a half.
What's worse? That or the timer on the steam page telling me when they'll tell me the secret password to unlock a game already loaded on my computer?

Spoilers: That isn't what Iraq looks like.

Blacksite Area 51 was the current generation sequel to that one.

But how can you not look at that and say "this is so fucking subversive?!?" /harveysmith

Infinite looks like a much more mature approach to the era, though. We'll see, even if the old save/harvest mechanic turned out to be so limp.

Top Bottom