• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Yeah I get that, but are the copies you "rent" still sold as new when you're finished with them?

No the rental stock and the retail stock is completely separate. The stuff we rent early is then put out to be rented by customers on release day. The retail stuff stays shrinkwrapped and display cases are put out onto the shop floor for when customers want to buy them.

Vire

Vire your hype and anxiety for this farrrr surpass mine.

Maybe just your anxiety.

Big time.
:lol

I'll settle down after I get it in my hands.

This weekend was tough waiting and hearing all the impressions from people who got it early.

Blame retailers for legitimate and not-so-legit releases. Steam really does a good job with release dates, as far as I've seen. I guess you can't break into a box full of games when the box is physically non-existent and the game itself is encrypted.

Even with that, there's always a couple of people who will speed rush through the game once they get it. I never understood that. Like I guarantee there will be at least one person who will play through the game in one sitting and will post their impressions within eight to ten hours of release. Given that the previews make it seem more like a player-driven narrative experience, it'll be interesting to read impressions from people who just run through the game and try to finish it as quickly as possible. Knowing me, if it compares to the first Bioshock when it comes to length, the OT will probably be in community by the time I finish it and it'll probably take a few weeks to a month for me to beat it.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Even with that, there's always a couple of people who will speed rush through the game once they get it. I never understood that. Like I guarantee there will be at least one person who will play through the game in one sitting and will post their impressions within eight to ten hours of release. Given that the previews make it seem more like a player-driven narrative experience, it'll be interesting to read impressions from people who just run through the game and try to finish it as quickly as possible. Knowing me, if it compares to the first Bioshock when it comes to length, the OT will probably be in community by the time I finish it and it'll probably take a few weeks to a month for me to beat it.

Good for you? I guess?

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Perhaps they were given early review copies of the game for their game related websites?

I bought mine from a local indie on Friday but that was mostly due to the fact we don't normally have Tuesday release dates in the UK. Fringe benefit of them being shipped to stores the Thursday before.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I posted totally spoiler-free thoughts from my five-hour foray into the game thus far (PS3 version) right here:

http://www.omega-level.net/2013/03/24/ive-been-to-columbia-bioshock-infinite/
If you have a competent sound system, you’re going to be kissing it every time you fire this game up. I’ve never been so enthralled by a game’s sound design in my life. From beautiful, precision surround, to incredible atmosphere-building effects and mesmerizing score, Infinite is an absolute treat for the ears.

Early on there was a guy who said the sound design is bad.

neogaf.gif

Never change GAF

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Won't hear a bad word said against the sound design its incredible.

Yeah the guy who was talking about the sound design was clearly high. That's the one thing that's been the most consistently brilliant in this game.

Also HuntTheMusic, might I ask where in the UK you are? If it's near me it can't hurt to know the places that can sell me games early.

Won't hear a bad word said against the sound design its incredible.

My only gripe with the sound was that sometimes I'd be trying to listen to an audio tape and there'd be some environmental noise in the background (PA system, building noises, etc) that would very occasionally drown out what the person was saying.

Magnus

Early on there was a guy who said the sound design is bad.

neogaf.gif

Never change GAF

I can't fathom how the game's sound design could ever be labeled 'bad'. You could dislike the music, feel at odds with the era/period's aural peculiarities (vinyl, scratchy sound, etc.), find some of the VAs mis-matched...but the overall design?

Dynamic sound that adjusts to your circumstances, dissonance that sets you on edge at crucial moments, impeccable, fluid surround, world-class VAing...man. 'Bad'? It's intelligent, well put-together. One issue though:

My only gripe with the sound was that sometimes I'd be trying to listen to an audio tape and there'd be some environmental noise in the background (PA system, building noises, etc) that would very occasionally drown out what the person was saying.

You know what, I've gotta give you that one. Had that problem once. Not being able to stop a recording's playback is a design issue. =/

Magnus

Any additional feedback on performance?

I was irrationally (lol punny!) fixated on how the game was performing on the PS3 at first. I'm not sure why. I mean, I guess some of the nasty textures pop out at first, but you quickly get over that with how incredible the art and design is that's on display in the game's environments.

With V-Sync on, it really does quite well. In my opinion, as well as Bioshock did on the 360 back in the day. It won't blow you away technically like that one did, but it's still damned pretty.

That complaint was mainly talking about how you have to face a person to hear them better.

Interesting. I noticed quite the opposite. Crystal clear sound firing through each speaker as I spun around while facing a target.

Yes, dat sound design. Then there's the sound content that's a big selling point. My top or near-top purchasing decision for Skyward Sword and Portal 2 was for the music and ambient sounds. This game is no different.

You know what, I've gotta give you that one. Had that problem once. Not being able to stop a recording's playback is a design issue. =/

Fortunately I found that hitting Down on the d-pad will re-play the most recent message. But yeah, it was probably just a slight audio balancing issue that went awry.

Not deal-breaking by any means though.

I bought mine from a local indie on Friday but that was mostly due to the fact we don't normally have Tuesday release dates in the UK. Fringe benefit of them being shipped to stores the Thursday before.

I didn't even know that the games street date is next tuesday. I saw people posting photos of their copies in another forum, called my local retail store, asked whether they already had it and picked it up. No pre-order or nothing required.

I absolutely hate when that happens

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...h_type=videos&search_sort=video_date_uploaded

Seems like Take 2 isn't taking down videos now... or not as quickly. We'll see.

In comparison i like the ps 3 version better than the 360 one. You can see the 360 version has shitty FXAA going on and blurs the picture visibly. I hate that look.

Ps 3 version on the other hand looks sharper and the colours are warmer. It just looks better without the terrible FXAA.

But both version have abysmal textues going on. On the first look i would even say Dishonored had better texture resolution.

sebianoti

Neo Member
I didn't even know that the games street date is next tuesday. I saw people posting photos of their copies in another forum, called my local retail store, asked whether they already had it and picked it up. No pre-order or nothing required.

Huge fail on 2k Games part, that's the story I'm hearing all over the internet, small shops just sell them as they haven't got specific details.

Vire

In comparison i like the ps 3 version better than the 360 one. You can see the 360 version has shitty FXAA going on and blurs the picture visibly. I hate that look.

Ps 3 version on the other hand looks sharper and the colours are warmer. It just looks better without the terrible FXAA.

But both version have abysmal textues going on. On the first look i would even say Dishonored had better texture resolution.

Is there a particular video that compares the two?

:(
I posted totally spoiler-free thoughts from my five-hour foray into the game thus far (PS3 version) right here:

http://www.omega-level.net/2013/03/24/ive-been-to-columbia-bioshock-infinite/

If you have a competent sound system, you’re going to be kissing it every time you fire this game up. I’ve never been so enthralled by a game’s sound design in my life. From beautiful, precision surround, to incredible atmosphere-building effects and mesmerizing score, Infinite is an absolute treat for the ears.
Guess that settles it then. I'll wait to start this game until I get home.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Does anyone who has the game already know if they've improved the gunplay from the last big stage demo they did or is it still lackluster?

~Kinggi~

Banned
So it looks like this may then be like the Tomb Raider scenario. Which would be good because both games were very close console-wise.

steven28

Im about 65% through the 360 version now based on my collectables numbers and I really really love it so far. It maintains momentum really well and I always want to push on to unravel the next thread of the story. I have hit a level breaking bug once and had to quit out and restart a section but thats my only issue. The sound design is incredible everything down to the balancing, the way music blends into combat and new areas and the choice of radio songs. It really brings the city to life.

I don't take much notice of review scores these days but if its not hitting the 90+ average something must go very wrong near the end.
Good to hear some positive impressions.I'll probably love the game since i loved bio 1 and i thought bio 2 was very impressive as well.

Vire

DO NOT WATCH IF SENSITIVE TO SPOILERS FEATURES FIRST COMBAT SCENARIO

Okay with that out the way...

I did find two videos, one of the 360 version and another of the PS3 of the same portion of the game.

You can make your own conclusions:

PS3

Granted this may be using different capture cards, etc. But this is the best we have so far. Not exactly Digital Foundry, but it helps.

To me, it looks like the PS3 version runs at a slightly higher resolution, it just seems a little bit clearer, though I did notice more screen tearing.

Someone just gave me a key to Bioshock 1 on Steam. I never beat it(I don't remember much to it.) This will hold me over until tomorrow. :)

Be sure you look up the PC tweaks. There may be a sound issue for you as well. There are plenty of guides out there. But FOV fix and the sound fix are the two most important things for the PC version of Bioshock. It runs fantastically though once you've got it up and running.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Levine twitter

RT @GearsViking: 12 hours till reviews/28 hours till BioShock Infinite! --Rod's review: 4/5 for handsomeness, and a 5/5 for Levine abuse.

You know the reviews will be good when devs are excited about it.

DukeBobby

His twitter is amazing:

RT @jsparakov: @IGLevine Shawn Elliott spoil Anna Karenina and now this? --Only thing Elliott spoiled is the last 4 years of my life. ZING!

Which one of you guys sent that tweet? :p

Okay, all those spoilers were fake. Here's a real one: Soylent Green is people.
S0DIgZZ.png

This is too good.

Top Bottom