• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Anyone getting the season pass? I am on the fence, the only one I ever bought was LA Noire's and I didn't even play the DLC after platinuming it.

Dropping $20 on a 'promise' is a gamble.

RoKKeR

Anyone getting the season pass? I am on the fence, the only one I ever bought was LA Noire's and I didn't even play the DLC after platinuming it.

Not at launch. Every season pass sans BF Premium has burned me, so I'm going to wait and see.

I have no way to get to the store tomorrow night for the midnight launch so I'm seriously contemplating buying it digitally. I'm so back and forth on it though. Is the PC version getting a boxed release? I should have a good gaming PC by the end of the year, maybe even in a couple of months, so maybe I could just buy the digital version to play now on PS3 and then buy a boxed PC copy.

Definitely.

Since this game doesn't have MP, I know I'm going to get 3 single player DLC packs, and that makes it worth $20 to me.

Worst part about most season passes is that you MIGHT get one single player DLC and a bunch of MP crap, so.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Definitely.

Since this game doesn't have MP, I know I'm going to get 3 single player DLC packs, and that makes it worth $20 to me.

Worst part about most season passes is that you MIGHT get one single player DLC and a bunch of MP crap, so.

Exactly why this will be my first season pass.

All single player DLC = WIN

Seems like a huge number of people have been able to get this game early. I got it on Friday in the UK. I had to call around a bit but it wasn't a problem to get it.

Ahh well....

Half of them are not even about Bioshock. We tend to go off topic quite a lot.

Don't worry, all spoilers are either tagged or those who didn't tag them have been banned.

I see then thanks....

Because we are crazy lol.

This makes sense too, haha.

Many mini discussions about topics that have nothing to do with the game, pretty much. :p

I kinda figured this as well, haha.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
If you can't use a controller on PC then I'm going to be frustrated with my purchase.

From videos that I have watched there seems to be subtitles for almost everything, including imagery and advertisements. Though, I believe some of the music is not.

Also I believe there is controller support going by how Bioshock 1 and 2 both supported it. Not to mention a strong emphasis on Steam Big screen mode.

In the pause menu there is an area in which you can relisten to audio diaries accompanied with text. Its the only way I could remember those room codes.

I have a subtitle option on. It's only primary character dialog. Background things are not subtitled. Audio diaries are not subtitled. Now, there may be another subtitle option I did not turn on, I'm not in game right now so I can't check.

Thanks for all the answers, guys. It's too bad that audio diaries aren't subbed for in-game play. My hearing is bad enough that I'm finding that i really need to rely on subs to hear what's been said, particularly so if a game's soundmix is poorly done.

And yeah, it drives me nuts when devs leave out controller support on PC games. I spend 10-12 hours a day behind a keyboard at work and holding a controller is just so much more comfortable for me (Bioware removing controller support in the Mass Effect PC versions has basically meant I will never play them. I would totally double-dip if controller support was native, too.)

Magnus

I count Bioshock as one of my all-time faves, and Infinite is rapidly ascending to join it. Nevertheless, I want to discuss something quick that's pretty critical about both games.

Does anyone else find combat in both games...extremely messy, imprecise, floaty? I'm struggling to find the right words. Hit-detection just feels off for both games. I miss when meleeing, frequently. I misjudge with aim/distance far more with both games than with other shooters (I'll admit to not having played too many).

It's obviously not a good game to compare shooter mechanics with, but for me, Uncharted 2 felt very precise. I felt as though my hits were tangibly registering, whether shooting or meleeing. Somehow, everything connected better for me. With Bioshock combat...I'm just all over the place.

Can anyone relate to what I'm trying to describe?

antitrop

By the way, I like Spec Ops more the 4th time I'm playing it than the third than the second than the first.

I've already noticed several things I missed the first three times, although not anything new, just stuff I never saw myself personally.

By the way, I like Spec Ops more the 4th time I'm playing it than the third than the second than the first.

I've already noticed several things I missed the first three times, although not anything new, just stuff I never saw myself personally.

Do you still play Hawken? Its been a while since we've gotten a game going.

Derrick01

Banned

I've been trying to play on Fubar difficulty since it's the last trophy I need on the PS3 version. Needless to say I don't like this game very much now!

ZeroRay

It's obviously not a good game to compare shooter mechanics with, but for me, Uncharted 2 felt very precise. I felt as though my hits were tangibly registering, whether shooting or meleeing. Somehow, everything connected better for me. With Bioshock combat...I'm just all over the place.

So basically the combat of Bioshock feels like Uncharted 3? :p

Jeramii

Banned
If you can't use a controller on PC then I'm going to be frustrated with my purchase.

It is very rare these days that a FPS doesn't support controller on PC. Especially if it's a cross platform FPS. But for a real answer with 100% comfort for you:

Irrational Games Blog said:
What’s that you’re mumbling to yourself? You prefer a console controller? Don’t worry, traitor, your secret is safe with us. There are three separate controller layouts (Default, Marksman, and Retro), each of which support loads of configuration options. You can tweak aim assist, sensitivity, vibration, and look inversion. Are you a left-handed player? Go ahead and revel in your genetic superiority because all controller layouts support multiple analog-stick configurations: Default (Look on right stick, Move on left), Southpaw (opposite of Default), Legacy (for those GoldenEye fans), and Legacy Southpaw. And for those who truly yearn for an old-school feel, or who use special controllers for medical reasons, we even let you swap the left or right analog stick with the D-pad.

All UI’s in the game are controllable via either keyboard and mouse or the console controller, and you can switch back and forth between the two input paradigms without ever pausing the game.
Source

Sblargh

Banned
I've been trying to play on Fubar difficulty since it's the last trophy I need on the PS3 version. Needless to say I don't like this game very much now!

It must really suck to disrupt the otherwise great pacing of the game by replaying the same combat set-piece over and over.

I count Bioshock as one of my all-time faves, and Infinite is rapidly ascending to join it. Nevertheless, I want to discuss something quick that's pretty critical about both games.

Does anyone else find combat in both games...extremely messy, imprecise, floaty? I'm struggling to find the right words. Hit-detection just feels off for both games. I miss when meleeing, frequently. I misjudge with aim/distance far more with both games than with other shooters (I'll admit to not having played too many).

I've been replaying Bioshock 2 and I've not noticed this problem. Are you playing on the PC?

I'd be mad if I had to play it with a controller too. Especially at that difficulty.

Xyber

I haven't been keeping up lately. Will the game unlock earlier in Aus than Europe or is it the same time for everyone?

Do you still play Hawken? Its been a while since we've gotten a game going.

I completely forgot I still have that game installed. Really enjoyed it back when so I wonder if they've changed much since December.

Anyway, is anyone besides me not going to just binge through the game? Seems like I'm far in the minority, but I don't enjoy games for hours on end. Usually don't play for more than an hour a day. Feels like I'm going to be left in the dust by the time I finish the game, but at the same time I don't want to rush through just to partake in the post-game discussion.

I'm totally a binge gamer. I tend to set aside a good amount of time when a new release comes out and play like 6+ hours at a time if I really get into the game. I fully expect that to happen with Infinite very soon.

Even though I've console'd my whole life, my new gaming PC says I have to use KB+M

It's one of those, once you've played shooters and start to feel comfortable with the kb/m itself, it's hard to go back. It's retroactively made my ability with a controller worse. I've been a primarily console guy my whole life up until about 2 years ago, since then, it's been hard to play shooters on the consoles because I hate the auto-aim and impression of the controls. It's a double edged sword though as it makes some games too easy. Tomb Raider on PC is a breeze as a direct result of being able to head shot every single enemy. Never play a racing game with a kb/m though. Ever.

Jeramii

Banned
Even though I've console'd my whole life, my new gaming PC says I have to use KB+M

you'll thank yourself if you stick with Keyboard and Mouse.

when I switched to PC initially, it was a pain. I'll never go back now. Not to mention how much better it is mapping plasmids to different keys/mouse buttons. So you can switch without slowing the action down.

Cdammen

Game pre-loaded on Steam and PC moved into the living room and hooked up to my 1080p projector. I have pretty low a expecation, heard some "meh" comments from a friend. I'm just happy if it is as the trailers. A colorful shooter :)

Neverfade

You've never had bad experience with release day shipping with Amazon?

Back in January 2010 Darksiders 1 missed delivery due to UPS's fault. Amazon shipped the thing overnight on Monday like they do every game that qualifies for RDD.

I'd hardly call that experience 3+ years ago unreliable.

Regardless, this isn't a question if it will arrive on Tuesday or not. The Premium edition simply doesn't qualify for RDD like the basic edition does. It's baffling.

Welp. I did it. Pre-loading has begun. I don't normally buy games day 1 these days, but I bit the bulllet. The way I look at it is that I never played X-Com (or any X-Com game for that matter even though X-Com looked cool back when the PS1 launhced), which was a lot of people's GOTY last year so it was kind of like getting Infinite for $30 and X-Com for $30. It's cool though. Outside of one or two other games this year, I can't thing of anything else I'd buy day one before next-gen kicks off. Bioshock 1 convinced me, a console gamer at the start of this gen, to buy an HDTV. I just hope Infinite is fun. I'm getting a feeling that is going to be a great game that will be crushed by the insane hype people have going into it.

Ceebs

Only thing that drives me nuts is not being able to pre-load the HD textures.

I wanna be able to play the second the game unlocks---but no...I gotta wait for 10-15gbs of textures to download :(

Wait, Hi-res textures are a separate download like Sleeping Dogs?

Top Bottom