• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Back in January 2010 Darksiders 1 missed delivery due to UPS's fault. Amazon shipped the thing overnight on Monday like they do every game that qualifies for RDD.

I'd hardly call that experience 3+ years ago unreliable.

Regardless, this isn't a question if it will arrive on Tuesday or not. The Premium edition simply doesn't qualify for RDD like the basic edition does. It's baffling.

Maybe it's a weight thing.

Wait, Hi-res textures are a separate download like Sleeping Dogs?

Not sure if it's separate on the final product but the preload is like that

Wait, Hi-res textures are a separate download like Sleeping Dogs?

Be careful what you wish for. The Sleeping Dogs Hi-res texture pack made Sleeping Dogs unplayable for me until I spent the better part of an entire day trying to find fixes. Hopefully, there are no issues with Infinite, but I hope I don't get screwed again by ATI unoptimization. Knowing my luck, I'm half expecting it not to even work launch day. But such is PC gaming.

antitrop

I'd be mad if I had to play it with a controller too. Especially at that difficulty.

I just finished it for the 4th time, but the first with mouse and keyboard. Gamepad is pretty much still the way to go for this one and almost all third person shooters.

This was basically my "master run", where I already have all the pieces of the plot and all the thematic put together in my head, and this was the first time actually playing through it after such thorough examination of post-analysis material. Gives a new perspective and I noticed a lot of things I missed/glossed over before.

Also I finished it in one sitting in 3 hours and 5 minutes. I need a cigarette and to go to bed... It's 2am and that was all a bit much.

I just finished it for the 4th time, but the first with mouse and keyboard. Gamepad is pretty much still the way to go for this one and almost all third person shooters.

This was basically my "master run", where I already have all the pieces of the plot and all the thematic put together in my head, and this was the first time actually playing through it after such thorough examination of post-analysis material. Gives a new perspective and I noticed a lot of things I missed/glossed over before.

Also I finished it in one sitting in 3 hours and 5 minutes. I need a cigarette and to go to bed... It's 2am and that was all a bit much.

Na.

On the harder difficulties the game is just plain cheap. The precision is a minor boost to counterbalance the cheapness of the difficulty. But generally I agree with you, 3rd Person Shooters/Racers/Platformers are better with a controller.

Basketball

Screen-Shot-2013-03-24-at-5.25.17-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2013-03-24-at-5.24.50-AM.png

Cheska

I'm having second thoughts about my Infinite Songbird edition. Mainly that I won't like the game as much and then feel guilty that I spent so much on a game. On the other hand, the PS3 version appears out of stock in most places and I know I'll hate myself for not picking it up if I love it. GAH!

Cyntec

anyone has got his hands on the game already? Good game, indeed, especially the atmosphere overall and the beginning. But - yeah, hate for this me now - very soon the game feels more like a "Call of Duty" than a "Bioshock". I have to admit I'm a little bit disappointed, especially because they dropped the hacking- und puzzle-elements.

anyone has got his hands on the game already? Good game, indeed, especially the atmosphere overall and the beginning. But - yeah, hate for this me now - very soon the game feels more like a "Call of Duty" than a "Bioshock". I have to admit I'm a little bit disappointed, especially because they dropped the hacking- und puzzle-elements.

I find this stupid, too.
Now you just collect lock picks and tell Elisabeth to open the lock, instead of doing it yourself.
Also the weapon improvement is not as "visable" as in Bioshock 1 or 2, which I find quite sad. You can improve your gun, but it doesn't look any different.

I find this stupid, too.
Now you just collect lock picks and tell Elisabeth to open the lock, instead of doing it yourself.
Also the weapon improvement is not as "visable" as in Bioshock 1 or 2, which I find quite sad. You can improve your gun, but it doesn't look any different.

Man that sucks, I loved the look of the shotgun in Bioshock 2 with the little Tesla coils on the side.

Cyntec

I find this stupid, too.

Yeah, but this time your machine gun is glowing after using - wow! :D Also what I'm missing are the surveillance cameras or even the option to sneek around your enemies. Now you are entering a new area, killing everything, moving on to the next area, killing everything ... yeah, "COD" is calling.
Talking about upgrades: Actually I find it very difficult to upgrades your kinectic powers, since they are pretty expensive. I rather upgrade my weapons, cheaper and more effective IMHO.

I wish reviews had which version is best or mentioned anything about bad versions of the game, ala Skyrim, I would at least look forward to them.

PC will be the best version. And IGN has already talked about how they said the 360 version is okay, and so far it seems the PS3 version is the way to go for console users.

There won't be a Skyrim situation, it's a modified Unreal Engine game. (and more often then not, reviewers won't get copies for every system out there, they get a coppy of the game and play it on that in a vacum without knowledge of the other versions)

PC will be the best version. And IGN has already talked about how they said the 360 version is okay, and so far it seems the PS3 version is the way to go for console users.

There won't be a Skyrim situation, it's a modified Unreal Engine game. (and more often then not, reviewers won't get copies for every system out there, they get a coppy of the game and play it on that in a vacum without knowledge of the other versions)

Well if that is the case I might get the PS3 version then. Cheers!

Speaking of the PS3 version, what are the "great" PSMove features which were hyped by Levine at the Sony E3 2011? I just remember that he said it will be something special and not just move aiming and stuff.

Also what I'm missing are the surveillance cameras or even the option to sneek around your enemies. Now you are entering a new area, killing everything, moving on to the next area, killing everything ... yeah, "COD" is calling.

I found the "Stealth" elements in BS1 to be quite non-existent anyway. The camera's in 1 were a mere nuisance as opposed to creating a legitimate stealth atmosphere.

Oh no, the camera spotted me? Better hide out of its glowing light until it stops beeping 3 seconds later.

Yeah, but this time your machine gun is glowing after using - wow! :D Also what I'm missing are the surveillance cameras or even the option to sneek around your enemies. Now you are entering a new area, killing everything, moving on to the next area, killing everything ... yeah, "COD" is calling.
Talking about upgrades: Actually I find it very difficult to upgrades your kinectic powers, since they are pretty expensive. I rather upgrade my weapons, cheaper and more effective IMHO.

I liked the hacking of the cameras. Now it's mostly how you described it.
Same goes for the kinetic powers. You just don't see a real benefit.

I played the 360 version. Framerate is generally fine, except for the few endling battles, where it can drop to what feels like 15-20fps over like 20 minutes. That part sucked. Other than that, I wouldn't say framerate was an issue.

Arksy

Do the 4 game packs from green man gaming come with the DLC that you get on Steam?

I'm talking about the Industrial Revolution Pack.

Yerolo

So where the hell are people getting the info about an hd texture pack from? Apparently the console version is 6-7gb, how would it make sense that the PC version is 15gb with an additional 15gb?

System Requirements:

Minimum:

Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHz
Memory: 2GB
Hard Disk Space: 20 GB free
Video Card: DirectX10 Compatible ATI Radeon HD 3870 / NVIDIA 8800 GT / Intel HD 3000 Integrated Graphics
Video Card Memory: 512 MB
Sound: DirectX Compatible
Recommended:

Processor: Quad Core Processor/li>
Memory: 4GB
Hard Disk Space: 30 GB free
Video Card: DirectX11 Compatible, AMD Radeon HD 6950 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
Video Card Memory: 1024 MB
Sound: DirectX Compatible

Wait, is this the only 'proof' that a HD texture pack even exists in the first place ? Ive been digging around everywhere and the only source of this info is here at GAF. Were the system requirements misinterpreted by someone and gaf just ran with it ?

Feed me a bone here :)

dreamfall

Everyone who isn´t sure should really wait for reviews. I could be wrong of course, but after playing a good chunk of the game there might be some disappointment.

Whoa Glam! Please let us know your thoughts! I usually agree with most of your evaluations- what is causing the disappointment?!

I just want to explore Columbia- the blackout is almost over!

Tankshell

That's one of the biggest step backwards imo - no manual saving - it just saves after certain checkpoints. So make sure you see that autosave icon flash otherwise you'll have to redo a long area again, been there and it's not fun.

This is rather annoying. I don't mind autosaves, but if they have removed the manual save ability then this is a big no no. I quite often finish up for the night, perform a manual save but then play on a tiny bit just to see what lies ahead, with autosaves this quite often puts me ahead of where I want to return to the following day.

G_Berry

Banned
So pumped right now. Got the day off tomorrow too so will be playing this all night!!! Ill let you know if the HD pack is for real lol.

Mogwai

Damn. I hope AMD wakes up and send me that code today. Could be great to preload the game so it's ready for tomorrow...

GlamFM

Banned
Whoa Glam! Please let us know your thoughts! I usually agree with most of your evaluations- what is causing the disappointment?!

I just want to explore Columbia- the blackout is almost over!

I don´t want to be too specific because I don´t want to spoil anything.

Here are my thought from yesterday:

What a difference a day makes...

Unfortunately the game can't hold the very high level of awesome it sets up in the very beginning.

In fact it has some issues. Some mechanics don't work so great, some are broken and some are almost not present anymore.

Some parts feel rushed and some feel weird.

Troubled development? Probably.

Still a great game, but it has problems.
Feels and looks like a game that came out a couple of years ago.

I'm 6 hours in and so far it's a 7/10 for me.

Of course that might change if the story goes to some awesome places.

We'll see.

As for the exploration - it´s super fun in the beginning and becomes an afterthought after about 45 mins.

Top Bottom