• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

metalshade

Damn. I hope AMD wakes up and send me that code today. Could be great to preload the game so it's ready for tomorrow...

I bought my 7950 a couple of days ago, I get my bioshock key almost immediately, my crysis 3 key is nowhere to be seen though. Did they run out?

Speaking of the PS3 version, what are the "great" PSMove features which were hyped by Levine at the Sony E3 2011? I just remember that he said it will be something special and not just move aiming and stuff.

Quoting myself cause i think it got lost at the bottom of last page. Does anybody know whats up with that?

Bittercup

Is this 10GB texture pack confirmed or just hearsay?
As far as I know they only said the game will be shipped on 3 DVDs because of higher res textures already included which doesn't seem like the textures will be a separate download.
But the minimum and recommended system requirements mention 20 and 30GB.
I think this is where the 10GB texture pack came from but I don't think it was ever confirmed.

Jtrizzy

There is no confirmation that the the textures aren't part of the current pre load, which is like 15 gb but is compressed and once installed will take up 20 gb. just a guess hough. Also my Aussie VPN isn't working either.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
If I recall correctly FartOfWar, who is Shawn Elliott, one of the level designers of the game, specifically came on here and told us about the texture pack. So if I'm right, it is confirmed.

gossi

The default textures on PC (which scale to different resolutions via in game options) are obviously much bigger than console.

Myaora

Neo Member
The new Eden is near upon us. Still quite excited, but that may be just because the initial video's, previews and all that have shown a lot of promise. Never pre-ordered the game, so I was wondering how your experiences have been so far. I've heard some concerns of the game feeling a little padded and that there are some problems with the plot.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the plot or the padding of the game? And, more importantly, should I order it now or wait for the reviews?... I was a huge Bioshock fan, but I am the kind of gamer who can get distracted fairly easily.

Superimposer

The new Eden is near upon us. Still quite excited, but that may be just because the initial video's, previews and all that have shown a lot of promise. Never pre-ordered the game, so I was wondering how your experiences have been so far. I've heard some concerns of the game feeling a little padded and that there are some problems with the plot.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the plot or the padding of the game? And, more importantly, should I order it now or wait for the reviews?... I was a huge Bioshock fan, but I am the kind of gamer who can get distracted fairly easily.

I'm certain it will definitely be worth the money for you if you're a huge Bioshock fan. I don't think it's necessary to compare it to the first game the whole time, though. If you do that, you may end up disappointed. At the same time, you may even prefer it to the first game.

I'm approaching the end now and the middle was certainly padded. But again, forget comparisos, you will almost certainly enjoy the hell out of the game overall, and it'll be worth your money.

Plot still to be determined for me.

vladdamad

No spoilers please, but for those of you that have played it, Ken Levine said in an interview that they've only shown a tiny bit of the game in trailers and footage, and that there's loads that we haven't yet seen. Is this true?

SparkTR

Well, only 4 hours left. I hope I haven't wasted my money, but as a person who felt Bioshock was majorly disappointing compared to System Shock 2 I probably will walk away feeling a bit cheated. Eh, as long the shooting is fine I'll have fun with it.

gossi

The reviews will hit on mass around the time to game unlocks on Steam via VPN.

Edit: I think the Metacritic will land in the 90s.

From playing the game or from looking at trailers?
From knowing game journalism in general I guess? Bar a RE6 scenario I don't see it reviewing that lowly if it turns out to be a dud.

Also reading your impressions, what were your thoughts on the original Bioshock? The sequel as well I guess.

What a difference a day makes...

Unfortunately the game can't hold the very high level of awesome it sets up in the very beginning.

In fact it has some issues. Some mechanics don't work so great, some are broken and some are almost not present anymore.

Some parts feel rushed and some feel weird.

Troubled development? Probably.

Still a great game, but it has problems.
Feels and looks like a game that came out a couple of years ago.

I'm 6 hours in and so far it's a 7/10 for me.

Of course that might change if the story goes to some awesome places.

We'll see.

That's exactly the rating that I proposed in the Spoiler Thread and I agree with what you're saying. It's an amazing production, but it has some pretty bad flaws as well and the story is batshit bonkers.

GlamFM

Banned
From knowing game journalism in general I guess? Bar a RE6 scenario I don't see it reviewing that lowly if it turns out to be a dud.

Also reading your impressions, what were your thoughts on the original Bioshock? The sequel as well I guess.

You´re probably right when it comes to game journalism in general.

I loved the first Bioshock, but I also think it didn´t age well.
Never played the second one.

The last few hours are incredible, as is the start. The mid section of the game does become repetitive, and the game has it's flaws. I'm expecting a mid 80's score.

Looking forward to that - I liked the very beginning a lot.

You´re probably right when it comes to game journalism in general.

I loved the first Bioshock, but I also think it didn´t age well.
Never played the second one.
Then I think our opinions might wind up being similar; I love the art direction and story of Bioshock, but as I've said in other recent Bio-related threads I think it's aged terribly from a gameplay point of view. Only thing going for it is the Big Daddy mechanic (and even then the save/harvest morality system is a joke) and being a modern shooter which still has open, Doom-style maps.

That said, is experiencing Columbia and its plot the same as experiencing Rapture and its plot for the first time?

Nestunt

sorry if it was already mentioned

but when do the reviews (non IGN ones) start to surface?

in other words, when does the embargo end?

GlamFM

Banned
Then I think our opinions might wind up being similar; I love the art direction and story of Bioshock, but as I've said in other recent Bio-related threads I think it's aged terribly from a gameplay point of view. Only thing going for it is the Big Daddy mechanic (and even then the save/harvest morality system is a joke) and being a modern shooter which still has open, Doom-style maps.

That said, is experiencing Columbia and its plot the same as experiencing Rapture and its plot for the first time?

Stepping into columbia for the first time is fantastic, but it also gives a wrong impression of what the game is going to be like. After 1 hour or so columbia "changes".

Myaora

Neo Member
Stepping into columbia for the first time is fantastic, but it also gives a wrong impression of what the game is going to be like. After 1 hour or so columbia "changes".

How does it change then? Does the atmosphere change? Does the plot develop poorly? Does the game get exceedingly linear?...

Superimposer

How does it change then? Does the atmosphere change? Does the plot develop poorly? Does the game get exceedingly linear?...

This has been one of my fears as well that I've slowly realised as I've gone through the game. It gradually stops being about the atmosphere and mystery of the city as soon as the intro sequence is over. Now I'm just running from corridor to corridor between buildings. There's very little actual reminder that it's a floating city, it just kind of goes into the background. I hope that we see a bit more of Columbia before the end of the game.

This is my biggest criticism though, and it's not exactly a huge one. For what it's worth, the intro is absolutely amazing and may even beat out the intro of Bioshock.

GlamFM

Banned

OK - this might be a little spoiler-ish - nothing story related though:

In the first hour you walk through an intact city, children are playing on the streets, people are chatting and drinking coffee everything is very pleasant and also kind of mysterious.

The scale seems amazing.

After one hour the nice and also kind of open(world) city is gone and you only encounter soldiers who are shooting at you in more or less straight forward (linear) "levels".

Superimposer

Like it's A LOT better or sub-par with those?

He's saying it's sub-par.

I really think this criticism of the game petering out in the middle is valid. I think it loses momentum and that's severely affecting impressions of the game.

So I tried the "Can You Run It" on my computer, and it says I can run minimum, but for the reccomended, I have a GTX 550 and it requires a 560. LOL.

Funny thing is, it says it requires Pixel Shader 5.0 (Which I have,) Vertex Shader 5.0 (Which I have,) and 1024 mb Dedicated video RAM (I have 2.1 GB)

So I assume I'm fine.

Odd, as you're way above what I read as the stated gpu minimum

I can't help but be reminded of Red Dead Redemption when I read about others saying they weren't a fan of the middle portion of Infinite. RDR's second act slowed down the game and was far less interesting than the beginning and end, but the Mexico missions certainly didn't stop many others from giving the game heaps of praise.

OwlyKnees

OK - this might be a little spoiler-ish - nothing story related though:

In the first hour you walk through an intact city, children are playing on the streets, people are chatting and drinking coffee everything is very pleasant and also kind of mysterious.

The scale seems amazing.

After one hour the nice and also kind of open(world) city is gone and you only encounter soldiers who are shooting at you in more or less straight forward (linear) "levels".

Completed the game earlier today and I agree, absolutely. It's a shame, as the intro is so fantastically well-done and for it not to live up to that promise is heartbreaking.

Top Bottom