• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

R1CHO

The first Bioshocks were too creepy for me, but these reviews are tempting me to buy this one. Do you think it will be as creepy as the first two ?

High in the sky looks less creepy to me than bottom of the ocean.

Is it just me then having problems with VPN? I have tried loads of different countries and none seem to want to work. I have done this many times before and I have no idea why it isn't working.

Is not 26th on Australia yet, just in New Zealand. Maybe that's the problem?

Zeliard

Is it just me then having problems with VPN? I have tried loads of different countries and none seem to want to work. I have done this many times before and I have no idea why it isn't working.

I just tried connecting to Steam through FlyVPN AUS as a test and it seemed to work just fine. Hasn't unlocked yet of course.

What I'm wondering is how it'll work as far as downloading the HD texture pack. People have said it's possible to disconnect from the VPN and just keep downloading on your regular connection, but I've never done it.

The scores are nice, but the text is a little concerning. Appearingly the game is more linear and combat heavy than ever...that gunplay better be good

I just tried connecting to Steam through FlyVPN AUS as a test and it seemed to work just fine. Hasn't unlocked yet of course.

What I'm wondering is how it'll work as far as downloading the HD texture pack. People have said it's possible to disconnect from the VPN and just keep downloading on your regular connection, but I've never done it.

Im not having the best of luck :/ Typical really :p I am hoping it just works out in the end...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The first Bioshocks were too creepy for me, but these reviews are tempting me to buy this one. Do you think it will be as creepy as the first two ?
Several people have been lamenting the less creepy atmosphere and Ken said that it wasn't the goal for this game. I'm sure there will be some eerie moments but it won't be as constant as Bioshock.

Zeliard

Oh yeah, be real damn careful about reading reader comments on these reviews. And by that I mean don't read them. Then again you should probably never read those things anyway, at least on most sites.

Oh yeah, be real damn careful about reading reader comments on these reviews. And by that I mean don't read them. Then again you should probably never read those things anyway, at least on most sites.

Forget the reader comments, I'm not even reading the reviews!

This has probably been discussed like crazy, but I can't really find any info; what's the word on the street regarding the PS3 version? Any screen tearing?

I'm at a point where I don't really care what the reviews say. This is exactly what I expected and that I'm completely indifferent as opposed to even more excited is troubling. If not troubling, something else. It's a peculiar feeling.

That's what I get for spending so much time on GAF

WTF? No quick save even on PC? This is blasphemy

PC Gamer said:
When you complete the game, you get access to the 1999 Mode, which is meant to be like games in 1999. It’s not – in 1999, you could quicksave. In this, you can’t afford to respawn as much, but you can still load the latest checkpoint. Unfortunately it also makes enemies tediously tough – three pistol headshots to kill a regular guard – so it’s just not very fun.

Fuck

Fjordson

Despite the scores and general heavy praise, the text of some of the reviews brings up some concerns. CVG reviewer for one mentions that there's a lot more gunplay than in the previous Bioshocks and fewer moments of tranquility. It's sort of what I expected but not what I was hoping for.

And the Eurogamer review basically says that the game's environments are even more linear than the previous Bioshocks.
Yeah, both of those points are slightly disappointing. Bioshock feeling a bit closed in and cramped made sense given the nature of Rapture, but I'm a little surprised Columbia is even more linear. A setting as neat as this is just begging for expansive environments and exploration.

edit: what Eusis mentioned is also a little disappointing. Just let me save anywhere =[

Eusis

CHECKPOINT based? Fuck, I really wish Bioshock had managed to be the game that took off wildly in 2007 rather than CoD:MW, that ended up setting the tone and reinforcing some of the stuff that had been starting in the prior generation. :/

EDIT: Actually, when I think about it it's actually kind of absurd how they seem to have gone full checkpoint based, given that space is no longer the premium it was. Though I guess Microsoft being too cautious and releasing the system with a 64 MB card wrecked the "who cares about space" angle that should've been widespread this generation.

Zefiro

Banned
Any news about the 1999 unlock code thing?

Tonight is the night and i dont really wanna play the console babby mode if there is an alternative.

Zeliard

WTF? No quick save even on PC? This is blasphemy

Fuck

Yeah that was a concern I had for 1999 mode, that they just ramped up enemy health to silly levels. I'm still going to use it for my first playthrough. If the gunplay actually has some kick and feedback to it this time around and it doesn't just feel like I'm shooting bullets at a wall, I can deal.

I'll let you guys know how Hard + 1999 goes, heh.

Only thing I'm not liking now is I have to wait until it unlocks to download the texture pack, so I will have to play without it first and then download overnight or something

I think I'm out with 1999 mode. Sounds like it sponges the enemies up too much, which is annoying.

Definitely going hard... unless some GAF impressions bring back the 1999 love.

Zeliard

I think I'm out with 1999 mode. Sounds like it sponges the enemies up too much, which is annoying.

Definitely going hard... unless some GAF impressions bring back the 1999 love.

The biggest reason you may want to use it is I don't think you can turn off the Vita-Chamber equivalents in this game. 1999 mode is the only way to offset the respawning because it makes money scarcer (which respawning uses) and enemy HP levels reset if you die.

Some reviews have said you can otherwise do the exact same thing as in Bioshock 1, which is just wear enemies down through persistence as you keep respawning.

We need Josh Sawyer to fix 1999 mode for us. :p

Tried them once a while back and they took fucking ages to post a game.

Never again. ShopTo has always been great but now I'm exclusive on Steam.

Good for downloads, though I used them once for Metal Gear Rising and got it a day before it came out. I recommend them.

ekim

Is there any review talking about console graphical quality / performance?

German site:

Nicht so atemberaubend ist allerdings die Technik auf PlayStation 3 und Xbox 360. Tearing, Ruckler, mitunter ärgerliche, schwammige Texturen und eine generelle Unschärfe über der gesamten Grafik stoßen ganz schön sauer auf. Immerhin kann der tolle Stil der Optik einiges retten. Es wird trotzdem langsam Zeit für eine neue Hardwaregeneration.
--> not that accurate translation:
In contrast, the technical performance of both PS3 and 360 is not that jaw-dropping.
Tearing, FPS Drops, occasionally annoying muddy textures and a general blurred picture are really bothersome. At least the art direction can save the game from looking too bad. Nonetheless it is time for a new console generation.
The final scorebox gives the PS3 version the nod.
http://www.gamepro.de/playstation/spiele/ps3/bioshock-infinite/wertung/46420.html

nofi

Just a note on technicals - the PS3 version (only version I tried) has tearing. A lot if you switch off the v-sync (yay for options) and a little if you don't.

Textures aren't great.

Game looks lovely regardless. Plays brilliantly. Deserved of the scores.

Just a note on technicals - the PS3 version (only version I tried) has tearing. A lot if you switch off the v-sync (yay for options) and a little if you don't.

Textures aren't great.

Game looks lovely regardless. Plays brilliantly. Deserved of the scores.

Hmm, so it looks like the PS3 version is the better version based on impressions.

Yeah that was a concern I had for 1999 mode, that they just ramped up enemy health to silly levels. I'm still going to use it for my first playthrough. If the gunplay actually has some kick and feedback to it this time around and it doesn't just feel like I'm shooting bullets at a wall, I can deal.

I'll let you guys know how Hard + 1999 goes, heh.

Seems you have to beat the game to use 1999-mode.

When you complete the game, you get access to the 1999 Mode, which is meant to be like games in 1999. It’s not – in 1999, you could quicksave.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/25/n...e-graphics-settings-loot-glint-and-1999-mode/

eyeless

could someone who has played the game tell me if you can change the difficulty whenever you want

also are there any achievements like 'beat the game on x difficulty'

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
POST IF YOU'RE OK ANDREW.

BioShock Infinite reviews begin, all the scores here

2013-03-2513_55_55-bi93faj.png

Ken said that 1999 mode was not going to be simply adjusting sliders... but it sounds that some dude at IG sat down for 15 minutes and turned couple of things up and turned some things down and said "done!! ship it, under the Konami code LULZ"*

*according to IGN and PCGamer at least.

Still gonna go through with it for my first playthrough because I'm not a fucking filthy casual like Derrick.

Top Bottom