• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Lucifon

B) Then I have to keep steam in offline mode, which always fucks with my achievements. Now, I'm not an achievement whore, but it drives me nuts that that happens. Like, for Tomb Raider, I have all the story achievements except for some in the middle when I lost connection or something. The very last story cheevo too.

Can anyone confirm whether you have to keep Steam in offline mode? On previous VPN unlocks I've just turned off the VPN once I've fired up the game and it's been fine? Sure it locks itself when you come off the game so you have to do the method again, but in terms of getting achievements I'm pretty sure that works around the issue.

All these video reviews seem to be showing the PC version and it looks beautiful. Ugh. It's making me not want to buy it on consoles, but that's my only option at the moment.

What I do know is that everyone jizzed over Bioshock 1 with similar scores and it was one of the worst games I played in 2007. I don't put a lot of stock into reviews anymore.
This very much accurate. The reviews I've read seem to be more forgiving of game play since there's a lot more work being done in other areas. I'm personally not sure since I haven't jumped into Hard difficulty yet. One thing that bothered me on Medium difficulty was that enemies were trapped in an invisible combat box. If I escaped out of that box, there was no penalty if I went to another set of enemies. They could have at least followed me and I would have had to fight more of them as a result. I would have enjoyed that!

I really need to see what happens on Hard difficulty, but I'm holding out for a Steam unlock.

edit: the other thing about the "combat box" is that you can stand aside it pick off enemies. They won't go after you.

I'm still in love with this game for many other reasons, though.

The basic pattern of clearing out areas and then picking through the leftovers to uncover money, upgrades and audio diaries has seen less attention, however. Fans of the loosely corralled cross-developer Shock dynasty may be surprised how much less ground there is to cover than there was at the bottom of the ocean, with only a few sections that bulge with detours and alternative routes.

That sucks. Exploring Bioshock's nonlinear maps was my most favorite part of the game.

This is normal. If you add an Aussie Taxed product to your cart, such as BioInf, you should see the price increase dramatically. ;)

It also says it will unlock in 10 hours, when the UK release is.

e. Also the price isn't increasing, as you said it would.

K' Dash

Whe will the texture pack be available? Fuck, another 13GB, I'll be preloading for another couple of days with my shitty connection :(

Whe will the texture pack be available? Fuck, another 13GB, I'll be preloading for another couple of days with my shitty connection :(

It is available after the game unlocks. pre-load is 14.9 gigs and then after the game unlocks you will have the optional 10 gig HD pack download

Fjordson

All these video reviews seem to be showing the PC version and it looks beautiful. Ugh. It's making me not want to buy it on consoles, but that's my only option at the moment.
Same boat. Sucks.

I watched an HD stream of the 360 version earlier and it's still a very striking game so I'm not completely discouraged, but I wish I could play it on PC.

Sticking my head in here before work. I gotta say, there's some kind of preternatural reaction completely out of my rational control whenever I see so much praise for something. I'm expecting to be thoroughly disappointed or even annoyed with this now, though I hope I'm wrong :p

Also, some of the actual text of these reviews is not good news for my tastes in the least.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure where people are getting 10-15 GB additional download. It's in everyone's interest that the download is compressed, so you're not going to download the exact amount ultimately filling up the HDD. Even Steam workshop compresses files to deliver mods. Still, a shitty connection can delay the party. :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It also says it will unlock in 10 hours, when the UK release is.

e. Also the price isn't increasing, as you said it would.

Yeah, it seems that Valve has changed some backend stuff and the prices won't change even when you reach the final stage of checkout. I'm currently poking around the Steam client with Spotflux enabled and it seems the only way I can confirm that the VPN is actually working is that I'm receiving the "Product already owned" error when attempting to activate my Inversion key rather than the "This product code cannot be redeemed in your region" variant.

Perkel

Banned
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure where people are getting 10-15 GB additional download. It's in everyone's interest that the download is compressed, so you're not going to download the exact amount ultimately filling up the HDD. Even Steam workshop compresses files to deliver mods. Still, a shitty connection can delay the party. :(

Because textures are already compressed.

JaseC

Will offline mode keep track of time played and achievements?

Not time played, no, but achievements may still unlock. Some Steam games allow offline achievements and others don't, so until you're playing the game there's no way to be sure.

LegoArmo

Yeah, it seems that Valve has changed some backend stuff and the prices won't change even when you reach the final stage of checkout. I'm currently poking around the Steam client with Spotflux enabled and it seems the only way I can confirm that the VPN is actually working is that I'm receiving the "Product already owned" error when attempting to activate my Inversion key rather than the "This product code cannot be redeemed in your region" variant.

My prices are changed and it says unlocks in around 1 hour. Odd, but thank you!

Derrick01

Banned
I'm not sure what to think about the RPS review. If you only read the last paragraph or two you'd think he was in love with the game but 80% of that massive review felt like I was reading disappointment after disappointment from him.

I guess that's what happens when you properly criticize a game and there's no score to say "all that negativity and still a 9?". But with all of the points he brought up I don't think this is going to be a game I'll enjoy (cue the "durrr I'm shocked" comments). Seems to be focused on combat, the world doesn't seem to be a focus at all and despite appearing to be more non linear it apparently ends up being even more linear than Bioshock, which was already pretty bad in that regard.

K' Dash

I hope you're right, I wanted to play tonight but that is off the table with any patch bigger than 2GB

I am having the worst luck, its just not working for me I went through an Aussie server then a singapore server and nope still showing the UK store.

JaseC

My prices are changed and it says unlocks in around 1 hour. Odd, but thank you!

Haha, weird. And no worries. :)

For those experiencing no store changes, I'd restart Steam when the game has been unlocked and try your luck.

I'm not sure what to think about the RPS review. If you only read the last paragraph or two you'd think he was in love with the game but 80% of that massive review felt like I was reading disappointment after disappointment from him.

I guess that's what happens when you properly criticize a game and there's no score to say "all that negativity and still a 9?". But with all of the points he brought up I don't think this is going to be a game I'll enjoy (cue the "durrr I'm shocked" comments). Seems to be focused on combat, the world doesn't seem to be a focus at all and despite appearing to be more non linear it apparently ends up being even more linear than Bioshock, which was already pretty bad in that regard.

Have you ever enjoyed a linear game?

Yerolo

I would let nvidia release it again on their own terms. There might be a critical bug in it. Not cool for a driver. .22 is not even showing up in US sites yet.

The link is fine, I just copied to a friend incorrectly. Its WHQL certified, it should be fine

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm still not entirely convinced that there is a separate 10gb texture pack.

The language on the Irrational blog post simply states that full resolution textures are available out of the box when you buy the retail version, which comes on 3 DVDs. 3 DVDs would be required to hold 15gb, which is the size of the Steam download. So, based on that post alone, what reason is there to posit another 10gb exists?

I know Elliott confirmed there was one, and said it would load automatically at launch. Is it possible he's incorrect?

edit: And did he ever confirm the size of the download? Is the 10gb figure just the result of subtracting the 15gb initial download from the 30 gb recommended HD space? Doesn't that math ignore compression? Do Steam downloads need additional space to expand?

Zeliard

I'm still not entirely convinced that there is a separate 10gb texture pack.

The language on the Irrational blog post simply states that full resolution textures are available out of the box when you buy the retail version, which comes on 3 DVDs. 3 DVDs would be required to hold 15gb, which is the size of the Steam download. So, based on that post alone, what reason is there to posit another 10gb exists?

I know Elliott confirmed there was one, and said it would load automatically at launch. Is it possible he's incorrect?

We'll find out in 20 minutes.

Sblargh

Banned
To be honest, I'm not freaking out over the unlock or the extra download because I'll be experiencing XCom for the first time and I assume I'll be pretty busy with that. :3

I just want to thank Bioshock: Infinite for giving me a free XCom.

Andrew.

Banned

But in the end you will still buy it, still rush through it in a day and then still proceed to dump all over it in threads regurgitating your opinion hoping somewhere, someone will join you.

And Im sure eventually youll have convinced a handful of followers to share the same views while being attached to your nuts. I cant wait. (Hi, FACE!)

The question is: "Why buy something you know you will disappointed in anyway?"

"Because I have to shit on something. I must. I must shit on something. I need to."

Top Bottom