• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

I'm not sure what to think about the RPS review. If you only read the last paragraph or two you'd think he was in love with the game but 80% of that massive review felt like I was reading disappointment after disappointment from him.

I guess that's what happens when you properly criticize a game and there's no score to say "all that negativity and still a 9?". But with all of the points he brought up I don't think this is going to be a game I'll enjoy (cue the "durrr I'm shocked" comments). Seems to be focused on combat, the world doesn't seem to be a focus at all and despite appearing to be more non linear it apparently ends up being even more linear than Bioshock, which was already pretty bad in that regard.

The first BioShock was more about the world than the combat and you didn't like that, so I'm not sure why you're faulting Infinite for going in the opposite direction.

Zeliard

When's the last time someone successfully used a VPN to unlock a game early through Steam? Possible something's changed between then and now.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I think my VPN is working, i got a australian IP but internet is slow as fuck.

15 minutes to go!

The first Bioshocks were too creepy for me, but these reviews are tempting me to buy this one. Do you think it will be as creepy as the first two ?

Just wondering, how far did you progress within the original Bioshock? The opening segment until the end of the first level (Medical Pavilion) is the 'creepiest' segment of the game (well, a certain area later is also very theatrically 'creepy' but after that it isn't too bad). If you haven't completed the game yet I would definitely advise you try and push past those opening areas as if you can manage to play through them you would be more than capable of withstanding a significant portion of the game. Of course, with Infinite releasing something tomorrow returning to the original Bioshock is something that would probably better be done in a few weeks to avoid franchise fatigue but it is definitely a game that is worth playing (System Shock 2 even moreso but if Bioshock was too creepy for you I'm not sure if System Shock would be something you could comfortably play).

I'm not sure what to think about the RPS review. If you only read the last paragraph or two you'd think he was in love with the game but 80% of that massive review felt like I was reading disappointment after disappointment from him.

I guess that's what happens when you properly criticize a game and there's no score to say "all that negativity and still a 9?". But with all of the points he brought up I don't think this is going to be a game I'll enjoy (cue the "durrr I'm shocked" comments). Seems to be focused on combat, the world doesn't seem to be a focus at all and despite appearing to be more non linear it apparently ends up being even more linear than Bioshock, which was already pretty bad in that regard.

I agree with this. The RPS review is far from glowing (and I don't even think that you could infer that he loved the game from the two last paragraphs), he's constantly saying "hey, I like this, it could be great BUT".

I think I may enjoy it, though, and this is coming from someone that disliked the original Bioshock. But I'll wait for the inevitable 75% off the GOTY edition on Steam in a year or two :p

damn it! I can't make FlyVPN to connect properly to the aussie VPN. It logged me on but when I open Steam it shows USD prices and it says Bioshock Infinite will be unlocked in 1 day and 4 hours!

People also relax with FlyVPN you can only use the free trial 3 times in one day, so if you use it 3 times trying to see if the game unlocks then you're boned after that.

Almost there! Only 8 minutes left!

g4Jry2P.gif

Madridy

Not time played, no, but achievements may still unlock. Some Steam games allow offline achievements and others don't, so until you're playing the game there's no way to be sure.

I see, thanks.

Patience it is then!

Well, it is only for few more hours ;b

Derrick01

Banned
When has an Irrational game ever been about spectacle and cutscenes though?

Bioshock 1. Story, pretentious ramblings from several characters for most of the game (audio diaries didn't help there), spectacle of Rapture and sometimes of it collapsing, in game cutscenes etc. It certainly wasn't a gameplay oriented game coming from SS2.

Truant

Valve can try whatever they want. Norwegian laws protect me. As long as I paid for the product with the proper currency for my region, then I'm safe.

Guys just warning you Valve have updated the ToS to mention VPNs, No one has been banned so far but always best to be safe

I have used VPNs a dozen times on steam and other people have used them even more. They won't do shit to you for it. I played Dishonored for like 5 days before it unlocked for me

Its looking like I am going to have to wait until the UK release. What a load of shit I can't believe it didn't work, there is no reason why.

Oemenia

Banned
Can somebody explain what the religious discussion in the game is like, is it the anti-theist stuff that's popular these days?

Bioshock 1. Story, pretentious ramblings from several characters for most of the game (audio diaries didn't help there), spectacle of Rapture and sometimes of it collapsing, in game cutscenes etc. It certainly wasn't a gameplay oriented game coming from SS2.
The fat in what you've described has been greatly reduced in BI, but it's still there. In that case, wait for a heavy price reduction. I really need to get onto Hard mode and see if there's a difference in combat, which is bothering me the most.

Phionoxx

Yup, I did.

I've tried both FlyVPN and VPN Gates.

I can get VPN to work just fine in regards to making the steam store (via website) reflect AUS prices, but as soon as I log into my account where Infinite is preloaded, Steam switches back to reflect US prices and time zone - even while still connected to the VPN. Anyone else having this issue?

Storm360

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/
You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account.

Not sure if it extends to unlocking early, but its best to be safe

Top Bottom