• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Uiki

Dumb question: i read rps review and they say that 1999 mode can be unlocked via cheat code..is this confirmed?

I'm planning to start the game in 1999 and I don't want to do it in the second playthrough.

abunai

This is great!

Though I don't understand why this isn't available for all games right from the Steam product page. It'd be way easier to decide if I'm going to buy a game on Steam if I could run a quick benchmark test right then and there.

Well, it'd still need to download the game engine+assets to run the benchmark with. No real point providing a separate tool when it relies on having game files.

ekim

1364207380saturnhh.jpg

29€ (PS3/360/PC) in Saturn Hamburg.

edit: Only for PS3 version.

Dylan

Those idiots posting the replies are the ones inserting the "rape" scenario into Ken's Tweet, not once does his imply or refer to anything other than being drugged.

Pretty sure those people are joking/trolling just to make the internet that much more miserable than it already is.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
In fairness, one of the game devs posted on this very website saying this a while ago.

Shawn Elliott said it would "autoload" which implies there's something to load. He didn't say "it's included in the original game download."

hey_its_that_dog was right? He'll never let us forget this day

Looks like you already missed my gloating post, so I guess you'll have no trouble forgetting. ;_;

We're getting a little hyperbolic here. Neither game was perfect by a long shot but there were obviously redeeming qualities in both. Especially considering the games that were coming out during the same time as the original Bioshock; I think it held its own in many ways.

Everything is crap man, just deal with it.

I still have a few hours of work ahead of me. If you are already playing this, know that I hate your guts.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Pretty sure those people are joking/trolling just to make the internet that much more miserable than it already is.

They are 100% not joking if you'd followed the other conversation they had about this tweet.

Zeliard

Oh bizarre. I just switched Steam to offline mode and it's giving me a message saying it hasn't unlocked in my region? Buh? I already unpacked it and booted the game up. :<

Dylan

Well, it'd still need to download the game engine+assets to run the benchmark with. No real point providing a separate tool when it relies on having game files.

I see, so it's actually testing the game engine on your hardware. Makes sense!

Still though, I'm not sure why they can't figure out a way to use the data Steam already collects about our hardware and display a notification on each product page giving an approximate performance index. Maybe in the *queue music* fuuuuutuuuuure.

I did the VPN thing. Started up steam. Launched the game, but the window says "Updating BioShock Infinite" and that's... moving slowly. 20 minutes. *tears*

Cronen

It's exceedingly simple. Download FlyVPN, use the free trial username/pw they give you, pick one of the Korea servers to connect to, then log into Steam and it will finish downloading the last bits and then unpack the files. Then just play with Steam in offline mode until it officially releases in your region.

I think I'll try this when I'm home. Question though - once the game has been unlocked with the VPN, are you able to go back to your 'regular connection' and keep playing whilst still being online? Or do you have to stay in offline mode? If possible I would like to go back online so I can use the chat features, etc. Thanks.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
What was all this 10GB day one talk then? Just nonsense?

It was an echo chamber of speculation based on a misreading of Irrational's blog post about the PC version and a bit of confusion caused by an apparent confirmation by level designer Shawn Elliott.

Very glad there's no more to download.

(Or maybe there is a high res texture pack and only AMERICA gets it! Fuck yeah!)

Zeliard

I think I'll try this when I'm home. Question though - once the game has been unlocked with the VPN, are you able to go back to your 'regular connection' and keep playing whilst still being online? Or do you have to stay in offline mode? If possible I would like to go back online so I can use the chat features, etc. Thanks.

I'm not sure. I've only done the VPN thing once before this and just stayed offline. I think someone else said there's some work-around to go back online.

Double D

It's exceedingly simple. Download FlyVPN, use the free trial username/pw they give you, pick one of the Korea servers to connect to, then log into Steam and it will finish downloading the last bits and then unpack the files. Then just play with Steam in offline mode until it officially releases in your region.

Hey thanks! I guess I'll give it a shot.

gossi

Oh bizarre. I just switched Steam to offline mode and it's giving me a message saying it hasn't unlocked in my region? Buh? I already unpacked it and booted the game up. :<

You need to be on foreign (asia) VPN when FIRST starting the game. Then set Steam to offline, and disconnect VPN.

Just played the intro, no HD texture pack at all. Textures were able to be set to ultra already.
Also this game is absolutely stunning to look at. Like extremely gorgeous and just from the intro alone, this is gonna be one hell of a ride

abunai

I see, so it's actually testing the game engine on your hardware. Makes sense!

Still though, I'm not sure why they can't figure out a way to use the data Steam already collects about our hardware and display a notification on each product page giving an approximate performance index. Maybe in the *queue music* fuuuuutuuuuure.

For sure. It'd be neat if valve had a bunch of rigs of varying power and ran benchmarks on those during certification or something. Supplying that information or even rounding your pc up/down compared to their test systems would be handy. I suppose systems requirements lab already does something like this.

For sure. It'd be neat if valve had a bunch of rigs of varying power and ran benchmarks on those during certification or something. Supplying that information or even rounding your pc up/down compared to their test systems would be handy. I suppose systems requirements lab already does something like this.
Valve has certification? I guess something like that, but I can't imagine as stringent as consoles.

Cronen

You need to be on foreign (asia) VPN when FIRST starting the game. Then set Steam to offline, and disconnect VPN.

After disconnecting the VPN can you then go back online on your regular connection? Or will that then lock the game again?

Gacha-pin

Yes, it's the Konami Code.

No way!!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...vine-on-bioshock-infinite-39-s-1999-mode.aspx
Do you worry that the challenge will get in the way of the authored experience that's at the core of BioShock?
I think that's a risk, certainly. Probably what we're going to do is you'll only be able to get to that mode through some kind of unlock. Not unlock in the game through "left, right, up, down," that kind of thing. But the kind of people who are going to play this are hardcore gamers, right? The people who are going to read Game Informer, go to various blogs and websites, and find this information. Those are the kind of people who are going to want this kind of challenge, I think. But yeah, there's definitely a risk that you're going to get pounded so much that you may not be able to take in the environment as much as the guy who is playing on easy or super easy. We want to give something to the people who are more interested in the game aspects and the resource management aspects.

puzl

Banned
Mouse sensitivity has the same issue as the other Bioshock games. Anything above the absolute minimum = too high, minimum itself = too low. Gonna need to edit the config to get this right before I get started properly I think.

Also, even at the maximum FOV slider, it's too low for me :(

My dreams of a flawless, out-of-box experience with this game are shattered already.

jambo

Steam unpacked it, I booted up, tweaked some settings and now... to bed.

Going to play a bit tomorrow night.

Also, how do we access 1999 mode straight up?

Zeliard

Yup, it's the Konami code. :p

bioshockinfinite2013-zxyw7.png

I did boot the game up while connected to the VPN, but I mistakenly set Steam to offline after I had already disconnected from the VPN instead of beforehand. All good now :)

So just to add to this:

Make sure you're still connected to the VPN when you set Steam to offline. After that it should work fine.

Mouse sensitivity has the same issue as the other Bioshock games. Anything above the absolute minimum = too high, minimum itself = too low. Gonna need to edit the config to get this right before I get started properly I think.

Also, even at the maximum FOV slider, it's too low for me :(

My dreams of a flawless, out-of-box experience with this game are shattered already.
Please post your findings in the performance thread. I'll definitely be doing some tweaking before diving in. Flying up.

I am very annoyed by the fact that I can't play it even though I have encrypted it and switched to offline mode afterwards. Guess it took too long for it to install and booted up Steam again when the VPN trial had run out already.

Anyone with access to the game - can you check if any of the usual UE3 console commands are bindable? They were for the first 2 bioshock games...

Just a little screenshot from the opening sequence. Maxed out and downsampled from 1440p. Also has some things thrown in from RadeonPro like HBAO better vsync and SMAA.

Slight spoilers but I think everyone has seen it already.

http://www.abload.de/img/bookernhe9r.png

EDIT: ACtually ignore that for now the settings didn't save :p thats medium

Top Bottom