• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Milchjon

Not sure if all Germans are aware of the offer, but I picked the game up for 29€ at Saturn.

Love the style of the first 20 minutes or so.

Brinbe

So wait, now there's no texture pack to download and it's in the pre-load? Then how did we go from 30gb recommended to 15-16 on the actual download?

edit: The screens in the PC performance thread tell me there is no texture pack at all. Those are really bad console quality textures.

Good to know, will save me money from having to double-dip. Disappointing in a sense though, I expected better.

Deadbeat

Banned
So wait, now there's no texture pack to download and it's in the pre-load? Then how did we go from 30gb recommended to 15-16 on the actual download?

edit: The screens in the PC performance thread tell me there is no texture pack at all. Those are really bad console quality textures.
So its the exact same as Dishonored and Metro 2033. The devs said higher res textures but it was bullshit.

Maybe when it releases in the US there will be a texture pack to download.

So its the exact same as Dishonored and Metro 2033. The devs said higher res textures but it was bullshit.
Looking at all of their depots, I think it might be a mistake or something separate. They absolutely have HQ assets sitting around somewhere. I would give them the benefit of the doubt.

After getting everything running, it seems like this is only taking up ~17.5gb on my hdd, I don't think the texture pack is up at all, wouldn't make sense for the recommended specs to list a 30gb space requirement otherwise

Derrick01

Banned

Maybe when it releases in the US there will be a texture pack to download.

Seems to be that way. This is what JaseC said

Regarding High/Ultra textures: there's virtually no difference in average performance between the two and there's a mere ~40MB VRAM penalty associated with the latter. Coupling this with the 10GB difference between the minimum and recommended amount of free space would lead me to believe that higher-resolution textures are missing.

Edit: And as I mentioned earlier, the game is currently 16.9GB installed, which falls around the minimum spec.

After getting everything running, it seems like this is only taking up ~17.5gb on my hdd, I don't think the texture pack is up at all, wouldn't make sense for the recommended specs to list a 30gb space requirement otherwise
Would like to ask a reviewer how much space their copy is taking up, assuming that they usually run a monster gaming rig many can't afford. It could be anything, from a mistake to an automated download if the specs on the machine match or exceed recommended.

dunno if already posted but according to the PC Gaming Magazine Gamestar (Germany) the stuff from the E3 2011 is not existent and the areas aren't nearly as big. (but they don't bash IG for that, just stating it)

http://youtu.be/nkDexodnV54?t=8m33s
People have mentioned that already, but it can be disputed. I personally had the expectation of a giant cluster fuck, but I think there are good reasons why that exact moment didn't make it.

edit: crap. very sorry for double post.

Darklord

Banned
They REALLY are throwing the race angel into this. Blacks are barely more than slaves(or are they still?) and now I meet Klan members too? Wow, ballsy for a game. Especially mixed with the hyper Christian/Conservative tones.

phierce

Can anyone tell me if the copy of Bioshock that comes with the PS3 version is on a disk or a download code?

Thank you, and I do apologize if this has been answered...

They REALLY are throwing the race angel into this. Blacks are barely more than slaves(or are they still?) and now I meet Klan members too? Wow, ballsy for a game. Especially mixed with the hyper Christian/Conservative tones.

Well, it does take place in 1912...

I unlocked and installed the game via VPN, then went into offline mode. I was able to open the game before, but now when I try to play Bioshock Infinite, a window pops up that says, "Completing installation," then I get an error message that says Steam's servers are busy. Huh?

There's suggestion of forced underground slavery or just workarounds to make sure black people are treated like shit while still free.
It's refreshing and it reflects the era better than I expected. Although, some lines spewed out by NPCs feel kind of modern.

Some of the stuff is extremely controversial. Even at the start you can feel it when a guy says "the finest white girl in Columbia"
Also this game is incredibly violent

Darklord

Banned
It's refreshing and it reflects the era better than I expected. Although, some lines spewed out by NPCs feel kind of modern.

One thing that feels out of place is the women you fight. Woman as soldiers in that era? Come on. If you go that deep, go the whole way but I feel the rise of "misogyny in games" made them back off that bit.

solarus

Posted this in the review thread, but this is worrying seeing as gaffers in this thread who have finished the game ran into these problems, it's from the PC gamer review. It's a shame since bioshock is one of the very few games that I come for more for the setting and the story. Question to any Gaffers who have finished the game do youhave completely opposite views on the story?

When I finished BioShock Infinite – don’t worry, I won’t spoil anything – I was dumbfounded. I wanted to tell someone what I thought, but for a moment I had absolutely no idea. I’d experienced a kind of excited panic, then total delight, then momentary confusion, and then a rush of extraordinary sights, powerful scenes and sudden twists that left me struggling to keep up.

It’s a spectacular ending. It’s just a shame it doesn’t make a lick of sense.

Infinite is wonderful. Every single person who can play it, should play it. It’s a fascinating and gruesomely fun adventure in a genuinely unique, magnificent place. But the plot really does jump the shark. It jumps a lot of sharks. It jumps the BioShark Infinisharks. That’s not uncommon in cinematic first-person shooters, but I mention it now because the game’s mysteries are such a big part of its appeal.
It’s awkward: I want to tell you why the plot failed for me, but I have to be vague. It has many, many leaps of questionable logic, but the ones that really hurt are when your terrible predicament seems to be the direct consequence of decisions that didn’t make sense at the time.

At one point, your solution to a simple logistical problem is the equivalent of setting off an atom bomb to clear a cobweb. So when anything bad happens from then on, you’re thinking, “Boy, it almost seems like setting off that atom bomb was an insane, unnecessary and irrational thing to do.”

You don’t set off an atom bomb. That was a metaphor.

The worst culprit is the ending. The plot’s final emotional sting is an action that just doesn’t seem like it would achieve anything. It seems to be assuming some new rule about how this world works – but since those rules were never established, any drama that hinges on them feels arbitrary.

18-Volt

I really want to play this game but I can't play FPS games with dualshock or Xbox controller. It's just too hard to aim. Should I get the 360 version or PS3 version with a move controller? Is move FPS controls considerably better than dual analog controls?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, it's the Konami code. :p

bioshockinfinite2013-zxyw7.png

Knew it! Bwahaha. When Ken was asked about the Konami code he seemed to be tease that was the one. Anyway, my copy is almost shipping! Wish it was on its way here but man, I have to be happy that it's coming at least. This game should've launched since last week dammit.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Can anyone tell me if the copy of Bioshock that comes with the PS3 version is on a disk or a download code?

Thank you, and I do apologize if this has been answered...
I'm going to guess it's a download code, but I admit I don't know.

I bought it on PSN and at checkout I immediately got access to the downloadable version of Bioshock. Also, from a materials/cost point of view, a code is much better for the publisher/developer.

One thing that feels out of place is the women you fight. Woman as soldiers in that era? Come on. If you go that deep, go the whole way but I feel the rise of "misogyny in games" made them back off that bit.
Definitely felt the same way at first. Not sure why they chose to include more gender equality in this universe. My guess is that they got a good bite of racism to chew on already.

For those asking about achievements in offline mode, I just got the achievement for unlocking 1999 mode so hopefully that means the achievements will sync back up later

Zeliard

any idea how to do this? got a little overwhelmed looking through the ini files

I just deleted some of the opening vids from the install folder (and backed them up of course), like ESRB.bik, the UE3 logo, etc.

It seems to get screwy if you delete the opening 2K video, but that can just be skipped over quickly and then you're in the game.

Bioshock 2 (and maybe 1, don't remember) had a -nointro launch option, but that doesn't seem to work here.

I just deleted some of the opening vids from the install folder (and backed them up of course), like ESRB.bik, the UE3 logo, etc.

It seems to get screwy if you delete the opening 2K video, but that can just be skipped over quickly and then you're in the game.

Bioshock 2 (and maybe 1, don't remember) had a -nointro launch option, but that doesn't seem to work here.

Thanks I'll give it a try. Also just started it up and the first thing I recognize is Jennifer Hale :D

The guys at the performance thread are insane. I'd love to join in, but I already found the PS3 version adequate enough. Visually, at least.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Christ, these video reviews are impossible to watch if you're avoiding footage of the game.

Just open another tab and listen. That's what I usually do with Sessler's reviews. I'm still trying to stay as fresh as possible though. The wait until I get my copy Wednesday is going to be brutal.

antitrop

The guys at the performance thread are insane. I'd love to join in, but I already found the PS3 version adequate enough. Visually, at least.
But that's what being a PC gamer is all about.

It's kind of fun.

Also, beginning my playthrough right....... now. Maxed out settings, 2880x1620, 60fps, wide as fuck FoV...
deXh2v2m.jpg

Top Bottom