• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

takedown.gif
Bwahaha. Gold. The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Somebody superimpose a picture of Ken with metal teeth on that sucker.

DatDude

Banned
I know! I'm just saying that he's going to do it all over again once he's played it.

And no, I didn't skip the credits! I was enjoying them too much. So much great music in there and throughout the game.

I think the music far surpasses that of Bioshock 1.

An that's saying alot since I fucking loved Bioshock 1 music.

But with Infinite, you get some really beautiful ost pieces from Sherman (I think I prefered his orchestrated pieces much more in Infinite, than in Bioshock. Much more memorable, and some great variations), some great period music, and of course the "special" music that also plays.

Great mix and blend, and really hits all cylinders in that regard.

Ithil

I don't know if it's the best game of all time..personal preference and all that jazz.

But I will agree on the fact that it's probably one of the finest games made (from just a pure video game aspect; sound design, combat, level design, characters, music, level exploration, details, ending, etc) this gen by far. Right up there with Bioshock in that regard..maybe even surpasses it since it's narrative doesn't fall apart like Bioshock did after the twist.

I'm not looking for a "perfect 10/10 bestest game ever" game, I'm just looking for a big budget game that's truly ambitious, full of ideas and had everything in it considered so as to make it as satisfying as experience as possible (there will always be flaws, I don't mind that). After so many complacent, safe entirely unambitious yearly offerings I'd like to be enthralled in a big budget game for once.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I'm not looking for a "perfect 10/10 bestest game ever" game, I'm just looking for a big budget game that's truly ambitious, full of ideas and had everything in it considered so as to make it as satisfying as experience as possible (there will always be flaws, I don't mind that). After so many complacent, safe entirely unambitious yearly offerings I'd like to be enthralled in a big budget game for once.

I think it's safe to say you will be satisfied.

Moff

after 2 hours into the game, I dont get the high ratings for this game at all.
take the dumbdown from system shock 2 to bioshock 1, multiply it by 10 and you'll get infinite.
design is beautiful though, makes me all the more angry the fantastic enviroments are just backdrop for such streamlined, shallow gameplay.

imjust1n

Banned
This game got 95/100 on meta dammmmm!!!

Now I cant wait to soak my head into this game tonight I hope it doesnt crash my computer
or run really bad.

DatDude

Banned

This is a big budget game with the heart and soul of an indie game. If that makes any sense.

What I want to know is how is the combat? How does it feel? I just went back to Bioshock 1 for the first time in a while and the combat feels awful. Enemies just feel like bulletsponges and don't really react to getting hit. Weapons don't feel like they have much power. Is Infinite's combat better than BioShock?

DatDude

Banned
after 2 hours into the game, I dont get the high ratings for this game at all.
take the dumbdown from system shock 2 to bioshock 1, multiply it by 10 and you'll get infinite.
design is beautiful though, makes me all the more angry the fantastic enviroments are just backdrop for such streamlined, shallow gameplay.

How is it dumb down?

I think the music far surpasses that of Bioshock 1.

An that's saying alot since I fucking loved Bioshock 1 music.

But with Infinite, you get some really beautiful ost pieces from Sherman (I think I prefered his orchestrated pieces much more in Infinite, than in Bioshock. Much more memorable, and some great variations), some great period music, and of course the "special" music that also plays.

Great mix and blend, and really hits all cylinders in that regard.
One of the main reasons I bought the game. My only disappointment is that the OST doesn't have the pop song covers. I hope there are channels available for me to procure them legally.

All the extremely positive reviews and impressions are just begging for people to come in here and rain on the parade.
A few months from now anyone casually reading gaf will probably be left with the impression that most people here hate the game.
Get ready to see it a lot in the most overrated games thread, it's just how it works.

How is the immersion in this? Some of my best gaming moments have come from the Bioshock games and their ludicrous attention to detail - there's a section in Bioshock 2 where you travel through a few exhibits and I felt totally engrossed in the world as a whole, something that doesn't typically happen for me with a lot of games. The best thing about these sections were that they didn't directly tie into the main narrative as such, but were entertaining and thought provoking in their own right.

DatDude

Banned
What I want to know is how is the combat? How does it feel? I just went back to Bioshock 1 for the first time in a while and the combat feels awful. Enemies just feel like bulletsponges and don't really react to getting hit. Weapons don't feel like they have much power. Is Infinite's combat better than BioShock?

On medium most enemies die with a few gun shots. Though that changes a bit over time.

The combat is more enjoyable imo. Partly due to the fact that the skylines are so fucking enjoyable.

Ithil

This is a big budget game with the heart and soul of an indie game. If that makes any sense.
I get ya, a game that's got a huge budget, but all the imagination and depth of design/consideration that an excellent low budget indie game might have. I see it just in the footage, there's any number of things they could have done to make the game more mass market, generic, money spinning, etc. It's a risk, that alone I appreciate.

I think it's safe to say you will be satisfied.

That'll do. It's a game, not life or death. Feeling it was worth my time to play is all I ask.

Andrew.

Banned
I actually think Derrick focuses a little too much on gameplay, and not enough on narrative and setting, but whatevers. I think it's a mindset thing - I'm guessing (could be totally wrong) that Derrick is older, probably in his 30's or 40's.

For clarification: I am 19, I grew up in my earliest days playing Duck Hunt, Mario games on the NES and SNES (brothers wouldn't let me touch the N64 :( ), then GoldenEye, Half Life 1, and Halo.

Hes in his mid to late twenties. Sad huh?

All the extremely positive reviews and impressions are just begging for people to come in here and rain on the parade.
A few months from now anyone casually reading gaf will probably be left with the impression that most people here hate the game.
Get ready to see it a lot in the most overrated games thread, it's just how it works.
If they have a point to make, I'm all ears.
Hes in his mid to late twenties. Sad huh?
Sad, no. Anachronistic, yes?

The dude is a prolific poster looking at the start date and number of posts. I'm sure he's not the heaviest user.

DatDude

Banned
How is the immersion in this? One of my best gaming moments have come from the Bioshock games and their ludicrous attention to detail - there's a section in Bioshock 2 where you travel through a few exhibits and I felt totally engrossed in the world as a whole, sometime that doesn't typically happen for me with a lot of games.

If you were immersed in Rapture, than you will definitely be immersed in Columbia.

FartOfWar

Banned

Gonna admit something. I thought Bio 1's combat felt crappy.

I'm barely three hours into the game (
I just got to Hall of Heroes
) and I can't help but feel this is much better than the first Bioshock.

how long is it suppossed to be? 10-12 hours?

DatDude

Banned
One of the main reasons I bought the game. My only disappointment is that the OST doesn't have the pop song covers. I hope there are channels available for me to procure them legally.

Yeah that sucks mighty. Especially since the pop covers were really unique and just a joy to listen to. Hopefully Irrational has our backs and distributes those missing pieces through the proper channel ;)

DatDude

Banned
I'm barely three hours into the game (
I just got to Hall of Heroes
) and I can't help but feel this is much better than the first Bioshock.

how long is it suppossed to be? 10-12 hours?

If you rush..yeah..

If you take your time with it 15-20+ hours.

It's up to you I guess in that regard.

I thought Bioshock 2 really helped on that front. Here is hoping Infinite took notes from that aspect of the game.

The skyhook felt very akin, at least to me, to the big daddy drill we got to use in Bio2.

Moff

How is it dumb down?

levels are completely linear tunnels. with literally several passages on rails. hacking is not in the game anymore, its now a simple 1 click plasmid. I was not the biggest fan of bioshock 1 either, but there you could at least combine the plasmdis and have some kind of a synergy effect. levels were atmospheric and provided small exploration, I dont get any of that here, encounters feel more like call of duty honestly.
I still hope that I am in kind of a tutorial mode, although 2 hours have passed. the levels are stunningly beautiful, I just wish they provided decent gameplay, too.

Top Bottom