• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

StuBurns

Banned
You also had quite a few more options in combat. Dual wielding guns and plasmids opened things up significantly, and then you had extra ammo types, little sister adoption, etc. Stuff like extra turret types and trap rivets/trap spears also allowed for a lot more indirect/predictive combat. Just a whole lot of combat options and ability to combine various abilities.

It still had some of that Bioshock jank but overall it was notably better executed.

Minerva's Den is even better in that area because it gives you access to a wide variety of weapons, plasmids, and tonics relatively early in the game, as well as adds to the enemy variety.
I never saw the big advantage of dual wielding. The only difference is you can literally fire both arms at once, otherwise it's just a case of double clicking one trigger to fire, and you can double click quicker than the arm raising/firing animation is anyway.

antitrop

Easy there Sessler :p

You really should just play this right now. I haven't even gotten to any actual gameplay, yet, just the way you are introduced into the world is absolutely unreal. I've never seen anything like this before.

Sessler's hyperbole be damned, he's so right.

Derrick01

Banned
You really should just play this right now. I haven't even gotten to any actual gameplay, yet, just the way you are introduced into the world is absolutely unreal. I've never seen anything like this before.

Sessler's hyperbole be damned, he's so right.

I'm stuck in poor old America where we apparently get everything last now. It's no big deal though, I'm in no rush to play this due to not having any excitement for it (probably even less due to the hyperbolic reviews). I've been surfing gaf and playing Xcom all day.

Yeah that sucks mighty. Especially since the pop covers were really unique and just a joy to listen to. Hopefully Irrational has our backs and distributes those missing pieces through the proper channel ;)
I'm a little off the rails here...

Imagine if you squeeze the songbird doll and it plays the missing covers. I would give my annual tithing for that. Take all of my tithing. It may also feature a threatening squawk between track changes.

Megasoum

Banned
Old builds being included isn't exactly an uncommon occurrence. Here's Darksiders 2, for instance:

ds2betasvern.jpg

Yeah, but as somebody who works with Steam branches on a daily basis, their mastering guy really needs to clean up his stuff lol.

DatDude

Banned
No, Guitar Hero at least took way less time.

I didn't mind Pipe Dream that much but it did get tedious.

No I agree. But as a hacking mechanic I couldn't help but roll my eyes. It reminded to much of NBA games where you have to land the dot in the middle to get the freethrow shot to go in.

It's dumb, and felt out of place. But that's just my opinion.

Zeliard

I never saw the big advantage of dual wielding. The only difference is you can literally fire both arms at once, otherwise it's just a case of double clicking one trigger to fire, and you can double click quicker than the arm raising/firing animation is anyway.

You're holding plasmids in one hand and a weapon in the other. It isn't a simple case of being able to fire more quickly, but being able to use both in tandem. You're able to combine the plasmids and weapons in ways that you'd be hard-pressed to in Bioshock due to having to choose between one or the other at any given time.

It means that plasmids in Bio2 function much more effectively as support powers to use in tandem with your weapon. In Bio1 for the most part they were basically just a glorified gun.

Vire

I'm stuck in poor old America where we apparently get everything last now. It's no big deal though, I'm in no rush to play this due to not having any excitement for it (probably even less due to the hyperbolic reviews). I've been surfing gaf and playing Xcom all day.

Why do you buy things when you go in with expectation of hating it?

Seems like a waste of money and time.

Andrew.

Banned
Pipe Dream may have sucked for you guys in Bio1, but you gotta admit the hacking in Bio2 was way better, quicker and cooler.

Stuck in the US for PC version. I might as well play on that tomorrow since so close to Boston time.

Hardcore gamers take it all in. Well, at least that's true with a few I know. Same somewhat-vicious cycle.

Elizabeth's AI isn't as good as it was made out to be. She's great most times but she's acted crazy a few times on me, trying to get to a point right in front of her for trigger an event and she would walk back and forth without actually going into it.
She also did a huge jump off the platform out of columbia completely falling to her death,I mean the model didn't glitch, she actually jumped herself only to have her end up behind me when I turned around

DatDude

Banned

Do you ever get excited for video games anymore? I mean christ.

You know your going to hate this game to. You love stealth, you love old school game mechanics and this has almost none of that which you cherish and love so dearly.

I mean, I imagine if you don't even care for Columbia or it's atmosphere and could care less about narrative or writing in games than just skip it honestly.

Raxus

No excitement =/= hate.

I do things on occasion with low expectations. Makes it easier to enjoy something for what it is.

Peterthumpa

Sorry if already asked, but does Bioshock Infinite resembles Dishonored in some way, artistically or graphically speaking? I don't want to spoil myself looking at gameplay videos.

StuBurns

Banned
You're holding plasmids in one hand and a weapon in the other. It isn't a simple case of being able to fire more quickly, but being able to use both in tandem. You're able to combine the plasmids and weapons in ways that you'd be hard-pressed to in Bioshock due to having to choose between one or the other at any given time.

It means that plasmids in Bio2 function much more effectively as support powers to use in tandem with your weapon. In Bio1 for the most part they were basically just a glorified gun.
Why do you 'have to choose'? Let's say for example I want to shock someone, and shoot them with a shotgun. In Bio1 if you have Bolt on, it's one pull on LT, then two pulls on RT to equip and fire the shotgun. In Bio2 yes, you reduce it from three button presses to two, but time wise, you gain virtually nothing. Pulling RT twice can be done very very quickly with little effort.

I'm not saying it's not better, it is, but at the time the outcry about the advantage was baffling, it's barely any better.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time

You're possibly the only person in the world who looks at amazing rave reviews and those actually turn you off playing a game.

So it's hyperbolic. Doesn't that mean the reviewers are going crazy over the game?

Elizabeth's AI isn't as good as it was made out to be. She's great most times but she's acted crazy a few times on me, trying to get to a point right in front of her for trigger an event and she would walk back and forth without actually going into it.
She also did a huge jump off the platform out of columbia completely falling to her death,I mean the model didn't glitch, she actually jumped herself only to have her end up behind me when I turned around
I just imagined it was her powers at work and carried on. Still better than many considering the restrictions set in place.

Looks like Andy helped us answer the question regarding downloading HD textures

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51446736&postcount=278

To put an end to all the HD texture download talk I tweeted Chris Kline, tech head honcho on Infinite:

Hey Chris, great job on the game! Can you clarify something - is there going to be an extra "HD texture" download on PC?

No, there's no extra texture pack on PC. The high res textures are included with the Steam preload.

https://twitter.com/korkyplunger/status/316262383796502530

Derrick01

Banned
Do you ever get excited for video games anymore? I mean christ.

You know your going to hate this game to. You love stealth, you love old school game mechanics and this has almost none of that which you cherish and love so dearly.

I mean, I imagine if you don't even care for Columbia or it's atmosphere and could care less about narrative or writing in games than just skip it honestly.

It's not that I don't care about any of that stuff, it's that I need a good game to be there first. If a game is too shallow then I'm not going to care at all about your world or your story. It doesn't help that most games that focus on nothing but story seem to still fail miserably at doing it well.

So yeah there's your reason for why I rarely ever get excited for games now. It's certainly no coincidence that my decreasing excitement happened at the same time games started getting way more streamlined and cinematic.

Vire

I'm just saying if your not excited about the game, just don't buy it.

I don't need to hear you bitch and moan all day about it.

DatDude

Banned
I just imagined it was her powers at work and carried on. Still better than many considering the restrictions set in place.

Yeah. As far as an AI goes, who is your companino throughout the whole game. Who gives you guns, ammo, can bring in cover, can hack for you, and plus those random emotions she sometimes puts on when she sees a dead body and such.

That's what makes her interesting. Obviously there will be flaws and glitches throughout a 15 hr game. It's to be expected honestly.

StuBurns

Banned
It's not that I don't care about any of that stuff, it's that I need a good game to be there first. If a game is too shallow then I'm not going to care at all about your world or your story. It doesn't help that most games that focus on nothing but story seem to still fail miserably at doing it well.

So yeah there's your reason for why I rarely ever get excited for games now. It's certainly no coincidence that my decreasing excitement happened at the same time games started getting way more streamlined and cinematic.
So why haven't you given up? You're in a thread for a game that has to have been designed to please five million people, it's obviously not going to be a dedicated hardcore experience. Why even buy it?

You wouldn't keep buying Hollywood blockbusters if all you want is a Shane Carruth joint.

Derrick01

Banned
You're possibly the only person in the world who looks at amazing rave reviews and those actually turn you off playing a game.

So it's hyperbolic. Doesn't that mean the reviewers are going crazy over the game?

Because when reviewers get stupid like this the game always ends up sucking. In the review thread I listed the other games that got 96 or higher on metacritic and how almost all of them lacked in the gameplay department. Reviewers acting like that is my clue that it's happening again.

Stuburns said:
Why even buy it?

I'm bored.

Yeah I thought she was doing something proper for a minute because it looked like a proper animation but then I realised it just bugged out. But yeah other times she's fantastic and anticipates things well

DatDude

Banned

As far as being a "game" goes.

It's basically like bioshock with a few lite rpg elements with the gears and better/quicker combat via the rails.

If you liked the combat/game part of bioshock/bioshock 2 you'll like Infinite.

If you hated those "game parts" than just forget Infinite.

Derrick gonna Derrick it seems...
why do you even bother, folks?

This game is what Dishonored wanted to look like.

iQagwvQ62uG8C.gif

Dafuq? Dishonored was very clear from the start (Game Informer cover story) what art style it wanted to achieve and they nailed it perfectly.

Zeliard

Why do you 'have to choose'? Let's say for example I want to shock someone, and shoot them with a shotgun. In Bio1 if you have Bolt with LT, then two pulls on RT to equip and fire the shotgun. In Bio2 yes, you reduce it from three button presses to two, but time wise, you gain virtually nothing. Pulling RT twice can be done very very quickly with little effort.

I'm not saying it's not better, it is, but at the time the outcry about the advantage was baffling, it's barely any better.

It just allows for far more flexibility to have dual wielding at your fingertips when you are being surrounded by various enemies. Going one-by-one through your list of plasmids and weapons when you are being surrounded and shot at is far less convenient and tactically beneficial for obvious reasons.

The difference is so blatant that I'm fairly surprised to see you arguing so adamantly. Go play Bioshock 1 and 2 again and the difference will be stark.

I'm also speaking from the point of view of someone using kb/m. Perhaps Bioshock 2 on a gamepad is just as cumbersome as the first game for the most part. With kb/m, it most certainly is far smoother and more flexible. Plasmids are bound to the right mouse button and the weapon to the left by default, so everything is instantaneous.

FartOfWar

Banned
Derrick's a great guy. I like him a lot. He could easily go from being a pariah here to just one of the gang on RPGCodex or similar forums but he sticks it out here. Nonetheless, I seriously suspect he confuses complexity with depth. Derrick, look into what Valve's Robin Walker has said on the topic, for instance.

Top Bottom