• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

DatDude

Banned
levels are completely linear tunnels.

Just like Bioshock 1, they open up as you progress.

hacking is not in the game anymore, its now a simple 1 click plasmid.

I'm sorry but the hacking was fucking awful in Bioshock. Sure it was fun for the first few times, but don't try to lie as if you didn't use auto hack the rest of the time.

I'm not mad they didn't add any hacking element. Better have something simple and efficient rather than something shoe horned in for the sake of adding a hacking element.

I was not the biggest fan of bioshock 1 either, but there you could at least combine the plasmdis and have some kind of a synergy effect.

You can still do this with infinite. Didn't you say your only 2 hours in?

levels were atmospheric and provided small exploration, I dont get any of that here, encounters feel more like call of duty honestly.

The levels are just as atmospheric as Bioshock, and honestly the same level of exploration as well. Trust me, it's not just bang bang pow pow for the whole game.

Yes it's more action packed, but it still retains the sense of atmosphere and exploration that bioshock had.

Also compare this first 2 hours akin to The Welcome To Rapture Stage.

When you meet Elizabeth, it's like you entered the Medical Pavillion.

can somebody help me with this VPN malarky, a PM would be appreciated

I'll just post how to do it here cause I'm sure there are others who need help as well

Step 1: Close Steam
Step 2: Download and install FLYVPN http://www.flyvpn.com/download
Step 3: Login using free trial http://www.flyvpn.com/freetrial
Step 4: Choose the Singapore server
Step 5: Login to steam
Step 6: Start Bioshock Infinite and wait for it to download the rest of the data
Step 7: Restart steam in offline mode
Step 8: Start Bioshock Infinite

Qk9GY6W.gif

You?

It's probably the worst game to have to wait for the street date, especially while lurking this thread. The smaller shops have been a big letdown too. Take Two has those console copies on lockdown, at least around me.

I guess. GMG deal is pretty good, though the only bonus game option I don't have is The Darkness 2.

The Darkness 2 is a fun little shooter. Immature and gory as all hell but worth a go, just don't expect the depth of the first game. It's more like XIII than anything else.

Zeliard

I guess. GMG deal is pretty good, though the only bonus game option I don't have is The Darkness 2.

I went with the Amazon deal, though mostly because my bank apparently thinks GMG is a gambling site.

Amazon deal is similar but comes with a $30 credit towards 2k games that I think I'm gonna use on that upcoming Civ V expansion.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I'll just post how to do it here cause I'm sure there are others who need help as well

Step 1: Close Steam
Step 2: Download and install FLYVPN http://www.flyvpn.com/download
Step 3: Login using free trial http://www.flyvpn.com/freetrial
Step 4: Choose the Singapore server
Step 5: Login to steam
Step 6: Start Bioshock Infinite and wait for it to download the rest of the data
Step 7: Restart steam in offline mode
Step 8: Start Bioshock Infinite

<3 My hero

StuBurns

Banned
BioShock's combat was pretty bad, but I've never really understood the praise for Bio 2's in that regard. Someone posts that all the time, that Bio 2 had much better gameplay, but I didn't see it at all really. Big Sisters are fun to fight, and you don't have those awful ceiling dudes, well, not nearly as much, but it was just as clunky and the environments had probably more choke points to cheese the AI. Maybe I should try the multiplayer though.

EDIT: And the mouse aim was dog shit.

Wolfie5

Well, I caved in and bought the game. I was going to wait a couple of months before buying, but the GMG offer with 3 extra games was too good to pass on. Got:

Bioshock
Spec Ops the Line
XCOM
Bioshock Infinite

Total: 45 USD

Feels good :)

Caode

If you're giving it away, and it works on the Canadian PSN, can I have it for a friend?

You can indeed...not 100% sure if it'll work, I'd say it should I've gotten code's from other regions before that seemed to work fine. I'll PM you the details...let me know if it's all good.

levels are completely linear tunnels. with literally several passages on rails. hacking is not in the game anymore, its now a simple 1 click plasmid. I was not the biggest fan of bioshock 1 either, but there you could at least combine the plasmdis and have some kind of a synergy effect. levels were atmospheric and provided small exploration, I dont get any of that here, encounters feel more like call of duty honestly.
I still hope that I am in kind of a tutorial mode, although 2 hours have passed. the levels are stunningly beautiful, I just wish they provided decent gameplay, too.

This reads almost the opposite of the Rock, Paper, Shotgun review:

What is a far less ambiguously excellent achievement is Infinite’s level design... Multi-tier buildings, multi-tier roads and the skyrails which oddly infrequently thread over the rooftops make these maps into generous lasagne-layers of exploration and action. That I spent so much time rooting through trashcans for coins and ammo, or breaking into offices in search of audio diaries and secret health/mana/shield upgrade-potions, is because so much of that sort of thing abounded thanks to the wealth of digital real estate on offer, and not purely because I’m a packrat and kleptomaniac.

There’s a particular level about three quarters of the way in, and coming off the back of a few no doubt carefully-sequenced smaller, more indoor-centric maps, that’s so wonderfully enormous it’s almost exhausting to traverse. It can be roamed out of order too, raided for secrets and supporting cast backstory before being revisited later in the narrative’s more fixed progression, by which point it’s been repopulated with new foes and a sort of roaming bossfight.

... the fighting is thrilling, highly customisable stuff. Oddly, it reminds me more of the original Doom than the tense, slightly clumsy back-against-the-wall skirmishes of BioShock or even the ratatatat man-popping of a Call of Duty. These large, multi-level spaces, the amped-up colours, the preponderance of explosions which could level a house, the veritable armies of freaks and fanatics you face: it’s much more cartoon absurdity than it is macho fantasy.

Also, the hacking became such a chore in the previous games. Good riddance, I say.

DatDude

Banned
Sent this to our audio team. They say thanks.

I know this is offtopic, but how is Ken and Irrational as a whole handling the news in terms of the review scores?

I know, I mean I would assume, that there's some pressure as to how the press will view your guys work surely.

So how does it feel for all of you guys? Knowing currently your metacritic average is roughly the same as it was in Bioshock 1, and that the Irrational team (as it stands) have made the 2 highest review average fps this generation alone!

Moff

Better have something simple

the deveopment of gameplay in videogames in the last 15 years in a nutshell.

na, sorry, I get you
as I said, I'm only 2 hours in, but to be fair, bioshock 1 was maybe 30 minutes as linear as that, and those 30 minutes were really amazing, much better and much more atmospheric than infinites, and infinitey design is pretty much the only thing I like about this game right now. i just dont see a single thing that infinite is doing actually better. people can gladly correct me, I'd love to like the game. and maybe it will really get much better.

The PAR review is fantastic, and the conclusion makes it sound amazing. I'm going to spoiler out, in case people don't want to hear anything about themes.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/par-reviews-bioshock-infinite-down-in-the-river-to-pray

This is a game about relationships, and how everything we do affects everyone around us. It's about how trying to do the right thing can be as monstrous as starting with ill intentions. It's about how we can hate those we love, and love those we hate. It's about a man, a girl, and a lost finger. It's about circles, and how you can go around them and end up in a completely new place. It's a beautiful game.

I was worried that Irrational wouldn't be able to catch lightning in a bottle twice in terms of writing themes that people would argue about long after the game released. It's sounding like the writers at IR managed to tap into something human, and bridge some of the Ludo/narrative dissodence that the original Bioshock faced.

Okay, family sedar, then I'm coming home to play this biotch.

Vire

I know this is offtopic, but how is Ken and Irrational as a whole handling the news in terms of the review scores?

I know, I mean I would assume, that there's some pressure as to how the press will view your guys work surely.

So how does it feel for all of you guys? Knowing currently your metacritic average is roughly the same as it was in Bioshock 1, and that the Irrational team (as it stands) have made the 2 highest review average fps this generation alone!

Not just this generation, but of all time.

I guess the pain and anguish of a five year development was worth it.

This game is pretty neat. Haven't quite got used to the controls. I'm often mashing between melee, crouch and pick up by accident.

Sure is pretty. I don't think I've got much good effects on. I'm gonna mess around and see if I can get some better visuals.

Milchjon

So far the game is a lot of fun, although it makes me realize I might not be much of a gamer anymore.

Some incredible setpieces unlike anything I've seen/played before.

quaere

Any further PS3 vs 360 vs PC comparisons? My PC is in my sisters room at the minute, so I'd prefer to buy it on console (bedroom set up). But if it's a huge difference, I'll go PC. Tomb Raider for example, I didn't think was a huge difference. Especially given it looked and ran great on the PS3.
I started on 360 and I do think there is a huge difference. The textures on 360 are bad even by console standards.

Zeliard

BioShock's combat was pretty bad, but I've never really understood the praise for Bio 2's in that regard. Someone posts that all the time, that Bio 2 had much better gameplay, but I didn't see it at all really. Big Sisters are fun to fight, and you don't have those awful ceiling dudes, but it was just a clunky and the environments had probably more choke points to cheese the AI. Maybe I should try the multiplayer though.

You also had quite a few more options in combat. Dual wielding guns and plasmids opened things up significantly, and then you had extra ammo types, little sister adoption, etc. Stuff like extra turret types and trap rivets/trap spears also allowed for a lot more indirect/predictive combat. Just a whole lot of combat options and ability to combine various abilities. It was also much smarter about plasmid upgrades.

It still had some of that Bioshock jank but overall it was notably better executed.

Minerva's Den is even better in that area because it gives you access to a wide variety of weapons, plasmids, and tonics relatively early in the game, as well as adds to the enemy variety.

The default key bindings are bizarre. As has been said, why "Z" for aiming down the sights? I personally changed it to RMB and put Vigors to the middle mouse button. Also, "F" as the "use" key? It's pretty much "E" in every other game... I changed it. The mouse sensitivity was crazy high to begin with, I'm not sure if it's just me. I put it nearly all the way to the left.

Anyway, its been amazing so far. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it again after I get out of bed.

I've uploaded a 4 minute video showing off the ultra settings and a bit of gameplay. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post it here, so I'll err on the side of caution and simply say it's up and contains the words "Bioshock", "Infinite", "Ultra" and "Settings". lol. I'm off to bed now, 6am! I'm going to be so dead for the rest of the day. Worth it!

antitrop

This art direction, this well-realized world, the atmosphere and the attention to detail.

Bioshock Infinite is art in motion. It's overwhelmingly beautiful.

DatDude

Banned
So did I, and the PS3 d-pad makes it 2x as comfortable and quicker. It really isn't that bad. "Holy shit, 12 seconds to test your brain skills. Fuck."

It's not bad. I enjoyed up until neptunes bounty maybe.

But then it becomes a chore, and pointless when you have auto hack tools laying around everywhere.

Defeating the point of the pipe dream hacking stuff.

FartOfWar

Banned
The default key bindings are bizarre. As has been said, why "Z" for aiming down the sights? I personally changed it to RMB and put Vigors to the middle mouse button. Also, "F" as the "use" key? It's pretty much "E" in every other game... I changed it. The mouse sensitivity was crazy high to begin with, I'm not sure if it's just me. I put it nearly all the way to the left.

Anyway, its been amazing so far. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it again after I get out of bed.

I've uploaded a 4 minute video showing off the ultra settings and a bit of gameplay. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post it here, so I'll err on the side of caution and simply say it's up and contains the words "Bioshock", "Infinite", "Ultra" and "Settings". lol. I'm off to bed now, 6am! I'm going to be so dead for the rest of the day. Worth it!

Someone asked about recommended kb/m bindings and I didn't answer because I figure all PC players are used to immediately rebinding based on preference and type of mouse they use. I do it with every single game I play.

Top Bottom