• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

StuBurns

Banned
Going one-by-one through your list of plasmids and weapons when you are being surrounded and shot at is far less convenient and tactically beneficial for obvious reasons.
That is not how it works at all. In Bio1 whatever your last gun and plasmids were remain on quick select on the respective trigger, exactly like Bio2.

EDIT: And to be clear, that post was not some sort of dig at Derrick, he's rad.

DatDude

Banned
Derrick's a great guy. I like him a lot. He could easily go from being a pariah here to just one of the gang on RPGCodex or similar forums but he sticks it out here. Nonetheless, I seriously suspect he confuses complexity with depth. Derrick, look into what Valve's Robin Walker has said on the topic, for instance.

I don't mind Derrick and his views. The problem I have with Derrick is that he's currently in a thread about people who love to eat grapes, and he's just posting randomly "bah, I hate grapes. there to sour!"

And just keeps repeating these sentiments over and over again. It comes off trollish.

Andrew.

Banned
Derrick's a great guy. I like him a lot. He could easily go from being a pariah here to just one of the gang on RPGCodex or similar forums but he sticks it out here. Nonetheless, I seriously suspect he confuses complexity with depth. Derrick, look into what Valve's Robin Walker has said on the topic, for instance.

Congrats on giving Der one of his first erections.

Nice one dude.

antitrop

Dafuq? Dishonored was very clear from the start (Game Informer cover story) what art style it wanted to achieve and they nailed it perfectly.

I don't hold Dishonored in very high esteem in the first place. I think not only is it graphically repulsive, but it's not a very good game, either.

I am in the minority on that one, though.

Zeliard

That is not how it works at all. In Bio1 whatever your last gun and plasmids were remain on quick select on the respective trigger, exactly like Bio2.

I think we should probably just stop the conversation here. "Quick select" is so far from what I'm talking about here that it isn't even funny. We actually have hotkey binds with the keyboard, including with Bio1.

I don't mind Derrick and his views. The problem I have with Derrick is that he's currently in a thread about people who love to eat grapes, and he's just posting randomly "bah, I hate grapes. there to sour!"

And just keeps repeating these sentiments over and over again. It comes off trollish.

Yeah, he says the same in literally every thread. It's a broken record.

If he dislikes gaming, and he literally dislikes everything - from AAA to indie - then why not quit it and find a new pasion?

I'm patiently waiting for Steam to implement gaben's idea on providing referrals to people that curate products available on their servers. I can imagine prolific GAFers with ideas on what a game should be would make a shiny penny out of their personal lists.
Congrats on giving Der one of his first erections.

Nice one dude.
Bahahahaha.

solarus

It's not that I don't care about any of that stuff, it's that I need a good game to be there first. If a game is too shallow then I'm not going to care at all about your world or your story. It doesn't help that most games that focus on nothing but story seem to still fail miserably at doing it well.

So yeah there's your reason for why I rarely ever get excited for games now. It's certainly no coincidence that my decreasing excitement happened at the same time games started getting way more streamlined and cinematic.

And yet you are going to buy the game anyway...

StuBurns

Banned
I think we should probably just stop the conversation here. "Quick select" is so far from what I'm talking about here that it isn't even funny. We actually have hotkey binds with the keyboard, including with Bio1.
I didn't play Bio2 on PC, the first one's mouse aim was so bad, and strange twitch death animations put me off. I own it though, so maybe I'll try it.

Tanolen

They are on a whole other level.

Raxus

Well I failed miserably at VPN. I can't log back in so I can't switch to offline mode. GG. So close yet so far.

Can I do anything to get around this?

fleck0

Update from AMD for those of us waiting on the Never Settle keys

rCRgBsG.jpg

Sane_Man

Derrick has become totally Flanderized. He found an audience and the attention he craves by constantly being the contrarian and now he's spiralling into a complete parody of himself.

It's hard to break the cycle.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started playing a few hours ago. My god. This game. And [very light spoiler]
I haven't even found Elizabeth yet

As far as openings go, this one may trump Bioshock

Zeliard

I didn't play Bio2 on PC, the first one's mouse aim was so bad, and strange twitch death animations put me off. I own it though, so maybe I'll try it.

I mean, I get your point. Bioshock 2 is still Bioshock, certainly, and it wasn't going to ever feel drastically different.

But I do think they did a number of things to make the combat more interesting. It isn't just the dual wielding, though I think that's more significant than you clearly seem to. ;)

It's the dual wielding in combination with the other things they did, and the gameplay is generally geared towards being able to shoot weapons and toss plasmids more rapidly and in tandem. Something like the little sister adoption parts could be quite annoying with Bio1's single-wielding system, at least on Hard.

Now I'm curious to see how Infinite went about it. General sentiment so far seems to be that it's a lot more gunplay-based, with the plasmids/vigors taking on even more of a supporting role. I'm interested to see how the Skyhook plays into it.

Andrew.

Banned
Which is funny because Spec Ops was not particularly amazing gameplay wise. It was all in the setting, story and atmosphere.

Exactly and he has previously stated he isn't a "settings" type of guy.

Which brings up the question (again), why are you going to be playing this? Besides boredom, which is a stupid fucking excuse with the extensive library of perfect Obsidian games out there.

kingocfs

Just watched Sessler's review. Hyperbolic as fuck, but I'll be damned if it didn't sell me on it better than anything I've read/seen yet. Can't wait to play this.

Which brings up the question (again), why are you going to be playing this? Besides boredom, which is a stupid fucking excuse with the extensive library of perfect Obsidian games out there.
I can't tell if you're joking or not. I need to play more Obsidian games.

Derrick01

Banned

Few love obsidian games more than me, but I don't think you understand how boring it would be to play nothing but them on a loop until the end of my days. I need new stuff as much as the next person, the difference being that my desire for new stuff doesn't make me ignore problems just because my hunger is being satisfied.

I want to play this but I can't even bring myself to finish Bioshock 1. Gameplay is poorly balanced and I'm tired of feeling like I'm experiencing the story from afar through audio tapes and behind windows.

Inifinite seems to have much more direct story-telling which is a plus for me and it looks beautiful. Just need more gameplay impressions. I don't mind linear shooter or focus on combat either as long as its still mechanically solid and balanced (though most linear shooters don't stay interesting for their duration, even the 8-10-hour ones get really stale before their close).
Spec Ops was pretty bad. I wonder what he liked about it.
Spec Ops has more solid gameplay than Bioshock did. Sure its more of this generations same-old in many respects but it plays well aside from some annoying final few conflicts that so many games seem to fall into.
Still has the mediocre Bioshock combat it seems.
Welp.

Noks415

Not sure if anyone has asked this already, but can anyone recommend any good reading materials that will compliment the game? It doesn't necessarily have to be books. Online articles and wikipedia are welcome. I just want to get a better feel for 1912 U.S.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

U mad bro?

Cause its starting to leak into your posts.

DatDude

Banned
Still has the mediocre Bioshock combat it seems.

What's so medicore about the combat?

I mean, what differentiates this combat that makes it so "Awful" compared to say something like Uncharted (besides it being a third person shooter) or killzone for instance.

It's not OMG AMAZIN" REVOLUTIONARY, I can understand that notion. But at the same time, it's not bad either. It's solid if anything else, and better than the combat in Bioshock 1 IMO.

Ithil

Few love obsidian games more than me, but I don't think you understand how boring it would be to play nothing but them on a loop until the end of my days. I need new stuff as much as the next person, the difference being that my desire for new stuff doesn't make me ignore problems just because my hunger is being satisfied.

I think the perception around here is more that you actively seek out problems, not that you ignore them.

Which is funny because Spec Ops was not particularly amazing gameplay wise. It was all in the setting, story and atmosphere.

That is ironic, since even SpOps nuts tend usually admit that the gameplay is passable at best.

But why do these threads always end up being about Derrick? Seriously I've lurked for a few months and it gets creepy :D

I honestly didn't have a problem with the combat in Bioshock. I thought it was pretty good - better than (gasp) System Shock 2.

bedlamite

Only 2 hours into the game, Hard is kicking my ass, and I'm broke from all the damn respawning. Gonna turn it down to Easy :(

Beautiful game though, one well worth savouring

Not sure if anyone has asked this already, but can anyone recommend any good reading materials that will compliment the game? It doesn't necessarily have to be books. Online articles and wikipedia are welcome. I just want to get a better feel for 1912 U.S.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1910s

I branched off of that during the weekend while waiting for stuff to finish. The black and white pictures really make it feel like a long time ago. :)

I also liked the article on having a picture your corpse before a funeral.

StuBurns

Banned
Spec Ops has more solid gameplay than Bioshock did. Sure its more of this generations same-old in many respects but it plays well aside from some annoying final few conflicts that so many games seem to fall into.
While that is certainly true, BioShock isn't really in a genre saturated like Spec Ops is. If you just think of it as a straight FPS, sure, and if that's all you get out of the experience, then again, not a great game. As a console shooter compared to the Halos, or a PC shooter compared to the FEARs, it's gulf is greater than Spec Ops is to it's best of class (which I'd argue is Vanquish), but it provided so much more as an experience, for me at least. People praise the story, and obviously that was pretty cool, but Bio1's true strength was just it's sense of place, it's atmosphere, it's ability to radically change the mood of levels. Spec Ops did nothing for me on any of those levels.

However, this is an Infinite thread, so I don't want to derail with Spec Ops chat, I was just surprised it was a Derrick jam.
Only 2 hours into the game, Hard is kicking my ass, and I'm broke from all the damn respawning. Gonna turn it down to Easy :(
You're respawning, or enemies are? I hope it's the former, I really hate infinitely spawning enemies in shooters. Awful.

antitrop

That is ironic, since even SpOps nuts tend usually admit that the gameplay is passable at best.

But why do these threads always end up being about Derrick? Seriously I've lurked for a few months and it gets creepy :D

I honestly didn't have a problem with the combat in Bioshock. I thought it was pretty good - better than (gasp) System Shock 2.

I'm the biggest fan of Spec Ops on the entire forum and I would say the gameplay is decent at worst and pretty good at best.

Also, look at Derrick's post count. It speaks for itself why every thread feels like it is about him, not there's anything wrong with posting a lot.

Top Bottom