• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Zeliard

If I could figure out how to get rid of the HUD I would start using screenshots as desktop wallpaper.

It's ungodly beautiful.

I'm staying away from the high-res screenshot threads for the next good week or so. People are going to spoil it with oversaturation. :p

DatDude

Banned
I want to play this but I can't even bring myself to finish Bioshock 1. Gameplay is poorly balanced and I'm tired of feeling like I'm experiencing the story from afar through audio tapes and behind windows.

Inifinite seems to have much more direct story-telling which is a plus for me and it looks beautiful. Just need more gameplay impressions. I don't mind linear shooter or focus on combat either as long as its still mechanically solid and balanced (though most linear shooters don't stay interesting for their duration, even the 8-10-hour ones get really stale before their close).

Spec Ops has more solid gameplay than Bioshock did. Sure its more of this generations same-old in many respects but it plays well aside from some annoying final few conflicts that so many games seem to fall into.

Welp.

Something something opinions. Play the game, even if the combat isn't totally to your liking (which I think it could be, since it's different than Bioshock 1, more akin to Bioshock 2 imo), I surely believe you will gather some enjoyment in the game whether it be the narrative or just exploring the beauty of Columbia.

watch rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

there's a nice nod towards a scene in that film that appears in infinite.

The heads, and tails nod
the nod is on youtube if you want me to link it.
I'll do me a search. Levine must have had a lot of time to do research.

edit: such a hilarious scene.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That is ironic, since even SpOps nuts tend usually admit that the gameplay is passable at best.

But why do these threads always end up being about Derrick? Seriously I've lurked for a few months and it gets creepy :D

I honestly didn't have a problem with the combat in Bioshock. I thought it was pretty good - better than (gasp) System Shock 2.

He doesnt care (much) if it shootbangs better. On the fronts Derrick will say he really cares about, Bioshock and Infinite are lesser fair.

Andrew.

Banned
Here, you can the king of "the bands I grew up listening to were the best and nothing will ever be as good ever, except the tribute album/reissues." There, you're just another reverberation in the echo chamber.

Tribute bands and cover bands are the fucking WORST. Are you fucking kidding me, Shawn?

4pm, still no AMD code.
Everyone trying to spoil the game for me
All my console friends have it early and keep trying to talk about it on my facebook
The pain of being the mustard race

Muffdraul

He Who Shall Not Be Named is a guy. I like him not very much. He's like a political cartoon caricature of everything that rubs me the wrong way about what internet gamer culture has become over the last 15 or so years. I've been online since 1994 and I'd say the trend started with FFVII, a vocal minority of gamers trying to out-hardcore each other by finding the slighest flaws in whatever current "critic's darling" video game and blowing them out of proportion to the point where they think they can legitimately say "You guys actually like this game? It sucks and I have proof. You've been fooled. The Emperor wears no clothes." Not liking stuff I like is cool. I'm just not into having it shoved up my ass.

The Irrational Store says they shipped my game today via UPS 2-Day! I don't get it til Wed?!?!! GRRRAAAAAAHHHH! *rends garment*

FartOfWar

Banned
Oh no, the enemies don't respawn. I was talking about myself, where a chunk of my money gets taken away every time I respawn

In short if you hated vitachambers play hard or 1999. Then cry when you cant afford to continue at all. If you loved Vitachambers play easy mode.

StuBurns

Banned
Oh no, the enemies don't respawn. I was talking about myself, where a chunk of my money gets taken away every time I respawn
Oh, that's cool thanks.

Spawning until you reach some trigger point is really shameful stuff, and unfortunately dominating shooters of this generation. Awesome if Infinite didn't join in.

Vire

Anyone else ever wish the this franchise was called something else?

I told a friend of mine who was a nongamer about picking up Bioshock Infinite tonight and she was like "who and the what?". When you think about it, it really is the most nonsensical name imaginable. I tried to explain to her that it deals with complex issues like race and religion and I could tell her eyes glazed over.

If only...

Bioshock 1 name = Rapture
Bioshock Infinite name = Infinite

Ah well, not the end of the world, but if this game really is our Casablanca for the video game industry, it would have been nice if it wasn't such a silly name.

Hylian7

I'll just post how to do it here cause I'm sure there are others who need help as well

Step 1: Close Steam
Step 2: Download and install FLYVPN http://www.flyvpn.com/download
Step 3: Login using free trial http://www.flyvpn.com/freetrial
Step 4: Choose the Singapore server
Step 5: Login to steam
Step 6: Start Bioshock Infinite and wait for it to download the rest of the data
Step 7: Restart steam in offline mode
Step 8: Start Bioshock Infinite

Using this now and it's working, THANK YOU!

He Who Shall Not Be Named is a guy. I like him not very much. He's like a political cartoon caricature of everything that rubs me the wrong way about what internet gamer culture has become over the last 15 or so years. I've been online since 1994 and I'd say the trend started with FFVII, a vocal minority of gamers trying to out-hardcore each other by finding the slighest flaws in whatever current "critic's darling" video game and blowing them out of proportion to the point where they think they can legitimately say "You guys actually like this game? It sucks and I have proof. You've been fooled. The Emperor wears no clothes." Not linking stuff I like is cool. I'm just not into having it shoved up my ass.

The Irrational Store says they shipped my game today via UPS 2-Day! I don't get it til Wed?!?!! GRRRAAAAAAHHHH! *rends garment*
I don't remember Voldemort being any of these things. Did he even have access to a computer?

DatDude

Banned

I told a friend of mine who was a nongamer about picking up Bioshock Infinite tonight and she was like "who and the what?". When you think about it, it really is the most nonsensical name imaginable. I tried to explain to her that it deals with complex issues like race and religion and I could tell her eyes glazed over.

If only...

Ah well, not the end of the world, but if this game really is our Casablanca for the video game industry, it would have been nice if it wasn't such a silly name.

They only attatched the name Bioshock because it would sell more copies.

Calling Infinite would cause just as much confusion to the "casual" gamer. Plus new ip's usually dominate the bottom of the sales charts.

Muffdraul

If only...

I like "Bioshock" as a franchise name, but I've never really liked the title "Bioshock Infinite". I've never been a fan of "Title: Adjective" (or Noun) names.

Andrew.

Banned
Here's more:

You can see where the glue is, but it can be easily peeled off with no damage.

nXgR3wS.jpg

GRYBOTw.jpg

Can anyone who's played the game comment on the music? Is it memorable or is not one of the game's strengths?
Memorable. Not to sound like a broken record... One of the main reasons I bought this game was because of the music and ambient sounds. Hallelujah.
I don't get how that freaking thing works in game. Does the magnet make Booker jump higher or something?
I was thinking the same thing. Must be some strong magnets.

antitrop

Okay, I entirely disagree with the guy before who was criticizing the "abrupt introduction to violence". I didn't find it nearly as jarring, seemed fine to me.

Although I do understand where he's coming from.

DatDude

Banned
Can anyone who's played the game comment on the music? Is it memorable or is not one of the game's strengths?

I wrote a bit about it a page or so back.

I would say it's the greatest strength of Infinite. Sherman's OST pieces are sublime. Full of emotion and depth, while never sounding to samey. He uses alot of variety.

While at the same time, there's a great mix of period music as well similar to Rapture.

On top of that you have great renditions, and I mean just awesome unique renditions of the special future pieces.

Honestly, this is probably the great "music" game this generation imo. That or RDR. But I'm leaning towards this simply because of the orchestrated pieces I think are much greater here, and the genuine unique future pieces are just sublime to listen to.

But yeah A++++ as far as music goes.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Okay, I entirely disagree with the guy before who was criticizing the "abrupt introduction to violence". I didn't find it nearly as jarring, seemed fine to me.

If we are talking about the
raffle
scene, I would agree that it is too abrupt. It didn't make a lot of sense.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't remember Voldemort being any of these things. Did he even have access to a computer?

If people are annoyed so much they should stop engaging him in conversation instead of making page upon page discussing his opinions, which arent even that surprising or rare. He just posts a lot.

DatDude

Banned

I agree. I personally feel as if the context fit that scenario that lead to the violence.

antitrop

I'm a little over 2 hours in (taking my sweet, sweeeeet time and soaking in all the details) and most people will probably be much further than I am at the play time, but so far it's nearly unmatched in any video game.

I don't even want to mention specifics, because the way the sound is integrated into the game really must be experienced without spoiler. Even just knowing what songs are in the game would be too much.

They achieved something extraordinarily special, here. At least in the opening hours.

DatDude

Banned
If we are talking about the
raffle
scene, I would agree that it is too abrupt. It didn't make a lot of sense.

When you consider how Booker is a former
pinkerton agent and war veteran
I'm sure you could see how he doesn't really care to see that kind of bs take place.

FartOfWar

Banned
So does 1999 just make it really expensive or simply give you a game over?

Cost skyrockets and you need that cash to spend on more important upgrades and items. Still living enemies return to full hp. Dead foes don't respawn though. In short you cant play like shit and cheese a fight. You win fair and square or you go broke and eventually have to reload.

Top Bottom