• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If you were playing Oblivion you'd have the entire imperial army coming for your head. I'm thinking someone could find a middle ground there.

They should let you leave and then you get zapped with a laser by the shopkeep when you return. Worked well in Link's Awakening. There were some stores that I just never went back to.

Zemm

Can anyone confirm you still get XCom from GMG when buying this? it doesn't show up in my basket with the other free games.

You know... I actually interviewed at Irrational before, and even spoke with Ken Levine a few times (we're both Vassar alums), and I always felt I was a good enough writer to be a part of their team. My time with Infinite so far has me wondering about that "good enough" part. :p

Subtle in places people wouldn't expect... bombastic in others... but thus far incredibly human. I'll be laughed at, to be sure... but as a disabled man I spent a lot of my life at odds with, and fighting religion. Some of the themes in this game... i'll admit i've already had a tear or two.

Shot gun feels way better this time around. It's like they did what they wanted to do from the original, but changed it just enough to actually make it feel like it has a better punch. The old one just felt so rickety. Weapons in general just feel a lot more competent this time around.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Do enemies have a ton of health or is the game decent enough at letting you know your damaging them to play without health bars?

So, the game is out in stores in Australia, and i'm on my way to work. Awesome.

In any case, will finally fire this up when I get home 10 hours from now. It's been great lurking this thread. Here's to 20,000 posts, OT2 and beyond!

Druz

You know... I actually interviewed at Irrational before, and even spoke with Ken Levine a few times (we're both Vassar alums), and I always felt I was a good enough writer to be a part of their team. My time with Infinite so far has me wondering about that "good enough" part. :p

Subtle in places people wouldn't expect... bombastic in others... but thus far incredibly human. I'll be laughed at, to be sure... but as a disabled man I spent a lot of my life at odds with, and fighting religion. Some of the themes in this game... i'll admit i've already had a tear or two.

He went to Vassar? Poughkeepsie strikes again.

Muffdraul

Shot gun feels way better this time around. It's like they did what they wanted to do from the original, but changed it just enough to actually make it feel like it has a better punch. The old one just felt so rickety. Weapons in general just feel a lot more competent this time around.

Damn. I thought the Bioshock 1 shotgun was pretty satisfying. And the Bioshock 2 double-barrel definitely upped the ante. If I end up being disappointed by the new shotgun, it'll be your fault!

Vire

It seems like a silly complaint, but I really don't like the cross hair on the new one.

Strapped in, lubed up... I AM READY.

bioshockinfiniteprelo5aajm.png

Damn. I thought the Bioshock 1 shotgun was pretty satisfying. And the Bioshock 2 double-barrel definitely upped the ante. If I end up being disappointed by the new shotgun, it'll be your fault!
I think the problem with it was the sound. I'm not sure. It's still very similar, and quite distinct in gaming.

Shout out to Irrational for making a flawless PC launch. It was worth the extra wait if this is what you were fixing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It seems like a silly complaint, but I really don't like the cross hair on the new one.

I'm also super critical of shotgun crosshairs so I can understand. The stretched one for the PS3 version of Crysis 2 annoyed the crap out of me. It was supposed to be circular but it was oval.

Muffdraul

I assume the cross hairs from the original gameplay vids are long gone and totally revamped? They were kinda subtle and almost hard to see, and slightly baroque.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So I wonder if
the audio logs/movies are missable, or if there's a point in the game where I can return to get them. I got a key for a sidequest a while ago, but the objective's now gone from my list...

I love how they use
pop songs in this setting. So far I got Beach Boys, Tears for Fears, Cyndi Lauper, ...
Just awesome, hope there's more of that.

Hey, alright, shipped from Gamefly. Might actually get this Wednesday.

I have to get through this, Etrian Odyssey 4, and Fire Emblem by April 23rd. The lady awaits her copy of Dead Island: Riptide :p

If I can pull this off, it'll probably be the first time I've beaten 5 new games in 4 months in probably 10 years, heh.

Guess Who

Banned
I like how you can find
the wrench from Bioshock as a prop in a few areas.
(Minor spoiler.)

(Bigger spoiler.)
And how Elizabeth whacks you in the face with it.

gdt

So I wonder if
the audio logs/movies are missable, or if there's a point in the game where I can return to get them. I got a key for a sidequest a while ago, but the objective's now gone from my list...

I love how they use
pop songs in this setting. So far I got Beach Boys, Tears for Fears, Cyndi Lauper, ...
Just awesome, hope there's more of that.

Can't wait to find out how/why those things in the second spoiler are popping up.

ymmv

Banned
VPN unlock worked for me. I've only seen the first 40 minutes, then I started feeling queasy and stopped playing. I guess I'm just not made for third person perspective games.

I loved what I saw of the floating city: impossibly bright and cheerful, such a contrast compared to the Bioshock games. Love the artwork and the period posters, but the character models are crudely drawn and animated. I finished Tomb Raider a day earlier, that game looked stunning, a true next gen game. Bioshock Infinite clearly isn't. It can look beautiful but you get the impression that the game is running on an enhanced (but dated) Bioshock 1/2 engine.

daoster

OKAY, damn you guys. You guys are tempting me. My Newegg order hasn't shipped yet, and I'm getting antsy and want to play this NAO. Thinking about just buying this full price from Steam.

What time is it suppose to unlock?

Are the PC requirements crazy? My PC is crazy old, last new game I bought was ME3, and I can play that game pretty well on medium settings...

VPN unlock worked for me. I've only seen the first 40 minutes, then I started feeling queasy and stopped playing. I guess I'm just not made for third person perspective games.

I loved what I saw of the floating city: impossibly bright and cheerful, such a contrast compared to the Bioshock games. Love the artwork and the period posters, but the character models are crudely drawn and animated. I finished Tomb Raider a day earlier, that game looked stunning, a true next gen game. Bioshock Infinite clearly isn't. It can look beautiful but you get the impression that the game is running on an enhanced (but dated) Bioshock 1/2 engine.
Try changing FOV in main menu. A low FOV often makes me feel sick and strains the front of my head.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just me or is the "launch trailer" the weakest of all the trailers released so far? Still so hyped for this game though. Need to finish Revengeance and Gears first tho :(

gossi

Texture question answered time #4329483 - it's included in the Steam unlock. It installs (and compressed) upon unlock. Set to "Ultra" in game menu.

Top Bottom