• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

REV 09

even with the reviews, impressions, and my preload..i'm not excited to play it. The past few months have been loaded with new releases. i think i may wait a few weeks before actually starting my playthrough.

Amir0x

Banned
I can sense it. The haters are coming.
The "it is popular, so i must dislike it" group.

Ahhh

Come on man, don't start that shit. You're poisoning the well of legitimate discussion in this topic if you're being serious here.

The vast, vast majority of neoGAFers criticize certain things because they legitimately feel the target of their ire deserves criticism. There's no conspiracy, man. Let's be equally open to negativity and positivity.

I advise anyone who hasn't played the game or reached this point yet to not watch this. Seems like common sense, but don't take away the joy of this moment by checking out even a few seconds in advance.

I think people will be smart enough to avoid it by the description. Some people, like myself, knew it would be in the game due to the youtube stuff so it's there for anyone who wants to see it in the game itself but yeah it's really cute and shouldn't be spoiled before seeing it yourself

Muffdraul

Falling off the side would be really frustrating.

I was just thinking about that this morning.

In a game like Shinobi PS2, with all of its unforgiving bottomless pits that must be carefully traversed, and generally cause you to fall to your death a bunch of times before you finally make it, yes that's frustrating and that's annoying and I have no love for that.

But in a game that takes place in a floating city in the sky and there are areas where if you choose to you can go out of your way to jump or fall off, I see no need to nerf that. Invisible barriers or falling with no consequences, to me that's overly nannying and hand-holdy. As long as there are no frustratingly clunky mandatory first person platforming segments driving it, just let us fall to our deaths if we're bored/stupid enough to go over the edge. Otherwise it's pretty immersion-breaking.

DatDude

Banned
The ending was good, but the whole time I felt like Ken Levine was intentionally trying to confuse me. I'm still trying to decipher it all in my head.

There's a chart on 4chan that will become incredibly useful when the spoiler thread is up :p

But yeah, guys the ending is complex. Like Fringe complex, or Lost complex. There's alot to take in.

Btw you saw the scene at the
end of the credits right?

Amir0x

Banned
that's odd, looks like 2GB of my RAM shit out or something since my PC is only recognize 6 out of 8GB of my RAM all of a sudden...? Argh

Milchjon

I was just thinking about that this morning.

In a game like Shinobi PS2, with all of its unforgiving bottomless pits that must be carefully traversed, and generally cause you to fall to your death a bunch of times before you finally make it, yes that's frustrating and that's annoying and I have no love for that.

But in a game that takes place in a floating city in the sky and there are areas where if you choose to you can go out of your way to jump or fall off, I see no need to nerf that. Invisible barriers or falling with no consequences, to me that's overly nannying and hand-holdy. As long as there are no frustratingly clunky mandatory first person platforming segments driving it, just let us fall to our deaths if we're bored/stupid enough to go over the edge. Otherwise it's pretty immersion-breaking.

Yup. The controls and design of the city work well enough to minimize the risk of accidental falls. Respawning you right there is pretty jarring and so far my biggest complaint.

Come on man, don't start that shit. You're poisoning the well of legitimate discussion in this topic if you're being serious here.

The vast, vast majority of neoGAFers criticize certain things because they legitimately feel the target of their ire deserves criticism. There's no conspiracy, man. Let's be equally open to negativity and positivity.

Yup. And I'm glad it's at least engendering discussion on both sides. "Love it or hate it" endings are much more interesting than some sort of milquetoast alternative.

Necrovex

Something is happening that hasn't happened in an age. I'm actually getting ready to play a game at midnight. It's 1 o'clock now and I'm not sleeping anyway because I'm running a fever. Sure, have to go to work tomorrow but that won't stop me from playing a few hours before collapsing.

If the game is unlocked at midnight for us EST time zoners, I plan to play the game when I get home from my internship, for at least an hour. I never do that for games anymore, and I cannot recall my last midnight release where I bought and played the game right when I got home.

...Oh god, I just remembered what it is was...Final Fantasy XIII.

Lakitu

st5fu
Are levels similar to Bioshock in that it's a kind of open level, where you are guided to areas of that level through goals?

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
There's a chart on 4chan that will become incredibly useful when the spoiler thread is up :p

But yeah, guys the ending is complex. Like Fringe complex, or Lost complex. There's alot to take in.

Btw you saw the scene at the
end of the credits right?

Can you PM me the link? I've been sitting here for hours and my mind is still reeling. Would love a chart to clear things up a bit.

This game is freaking amazing.exe.

It's not new game hype either as just a few weeks ago I didn't feel like that towards Tomb Raider. I haven't beaten it yet I just started(on pc) and the first couple of hours have been splendid. The ambiance in this game should serve as a paragon to other games. Matchless.

Amir0x

Banned
Yup. And I'm glad it's at least engendering discussion on both sides. "Love it or hate it" endings are much more interesting than some sort of milquetoast alternative.

Totally agree. I am anticipating Bioshock Infinite as much as the next man, in fact it's probably one of my more anticipated games of the gen, but I desire to see the full extent of people's critical eye. I don't think we as a group should be dissuading people from sharing their full open and honest points of view by trying to act as if they're being critical because Bioshock Infinite is "popular." Most of us like things both popular and unpopular, so there's really no point trying to dig for an ulterior motive, ya dig?

Anyway, I am so friggin' hyped to finally get to play it. Now that my graphics card can, like, do shit again, I feel like a new man :p

DukeBobby

This game is freaking amazing.exe.

It's not new game hype either as just a few weeks ago I didn't feel like that towards Tomb Raider. I haven't beaten it yet I just started(on pc) and the first couple of hours have been splendid. The ambiance in this game should serve as a paragon to other games. Matchless.

I actually really enjoyed Tomb Raider, but since I've started playing this, I've forgotten the game even existed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Time to keep playing Hitman Absolution to pass the time until this comes out. Infinite's going to be like coming up for air after this.

Amir0x

Banned
I actually really enjoyed Tomb Raider, but since I've started playing this, I've forgotten the game even existed.

Do you think the combat scenarios are sufficiently strategic and that the game will likely ask meaningful choices of me if I play in 1999 mode?

brandonh83 said:
please don't be hyperbole please don't be hyperbole

Let's hope it's just comparison to degrees, else we'd be stuck with a game with shitty writing on par with the horrific LOST series :p

Edit: On second thought, that would probably be an improvement for most games. Sad to think about :(

antitrop

These Skyhook executions are on another level. The animation is so good.

I find myself shooting enemies to near-death and then charging headfirst into gun fire just to get the finisher off.

Let's hope it's just comparison to degrees, else we'd be stuck with a game with shitty writing on par with the horrific LOST series :p

Ami, I won't get upset. I literally saw your reply in my head before I even replied to the guy. It was foretold by gyromancy.

Amir0x

Banned
These Skyhook executions are on another level. The animation is so good.

the key question is this: Can I shove a Skyhook up someone's ass? If no, I'm not sure Bioshock Infinite is really for me.

brandonh83 said:
Ami, I won't get upset. I literally saw your reply in my head before I even replied to the guy. :p

Am i that predictable? Well, at least that means I'm consistent :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why would you do this

I've been playing Brutal Doom myself. Awesome game, should be quite different from Bioshock's brand of sophisticated violence and storytelling

Bit of a masochist huh?

I got the Professional Edition for $20 the other day. Thought the game looked interesting and I haven't played a Hitman game before. I'm in a stretch where I'm actually liking the game some now but parts of it really suck.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, you're in the thread, and your Lost hate has been well-documented -- I'd say it was a fair prediction. :p

Well LOST sucks and created a blackhole in the spacetime continuum with its suckitude, excuse me for trying to get out of the way before I get sucked in :(

No but you can shove them into the side of their head and listen to it whir up like a dentist drill.

A fair trade, perhaps. I will see ;)

antitrop

I know Derrick and Ami both strongly disliked Tomb Raider, but with good reason I just didn't share.

If they don't like this game then I don't really know what will do it for them. There's really not very much to dislike about this game. 5 hours in and my biggest complaint is that ADS is a Toggle-only.

Top Bottom