• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

JordanKZ

Just played the first hour. I'll post my thoughts later. But is anyone with an nVidia card experiencing some real bad stuttering at Ultra when loading between areas? (Core i5 750 @3.2ghz, 660Ti, 12GB RAM). It's like, second it's finished loading it's locked to 60fps. But the stuttering is awful.

noffles

Banned
I think my favourite part of the ending was:

Seeing spoilers in here, playing the game, not realising said spoilers were worded so horribly that I wouldn't understand them, and then not having the game ruined at all.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'd say I'm about a good 1/3 of the way through the game and so far, to me, it improves upon every single aspect you mentioned.

Some more than others, of course. The biggest "some more" being improving the combat strategically. This is probably the best gunplay I've played in an FPS since Bulletstorm.

Oh SHIT

Hype levels at critical mass.

The shooting feels surprisingly great, with the sole pistol I have right now. It feels meaty to shoot and enemies (at least the early ones) react to bullets with a feedback that just didn't exist in the previous Bioshocks. The Skyhook is just plain violent as a melee weapon.

That's good to hear since that was my primary problem with Bioshock's combat.

just bought the game on GMG

$46 ($14 cash back in 2-3 days)

Bioshock Infinite
Bioshock
X-COM
The Darkness 2

that's a fucking deal right there!

Yup! Just preordered from GMG the same deal, just substitute in Civ V for The Darkness and got the $15 store credit. I don't usually preorder games much but when they offer a nice discount or store credit plus entire games for free, thats a nice deal.

Ithil

Oh I have and I'm really glad they brought her back from that, she was Lara croft levels of boobage back then

She doesn't have the huge eyes

Well I don't want to alarm you but (non-important spoiler)
the corset is not gone from the game, it's just a later outfit.

Zeliard

Great to hear about hit reactions and bullet feedback. If they're good enough I'll play with health bars off. They seem kind of distracting floating above every individual enemies' head instead of being on the crosshair.

On 1999 mode I think it just turns some of that junk off by default. I haven't modified those options and my game's been clutter-free so far.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On 1999 mode I think it just turns some of that junk off by default. I haven't modified those options and my game's been clutter-free so far.

I'm not doing 1999 the first time through. I'm just to play on Normal first to soak in the atmosphere and story without having to worry about obnoxious combat scenarios.

I'd say I'm about a good 1/3 of the way through the game and so far, to me, it improves upon every single aspect you mentioned.

Some more than others, of course. The biggest "some more" being improving the combat strategically. This is probably the best gunplay I've played in an FPS since Bulletstorm.

Yikes I wouldn't go that far now. It's good but not F.E.A.R good

mandiller

I think I've hit a bug. Near the start of the game when I face the (very early game)
crow man
he doesn't drop the
murder of crows
vigor, even though my character remarks that he did. Does he normally drop a vigor? If so, is there another way to get it later on? I'm already past that part.

antitrop

Yikes I wouldn't go that far now. It's good but not F.E.A.R good

Well, it's only been 2 years since Bulletstorm came out. Thinking of all the FPSs that I've played since then, I don't think the strategical level of combat in any of them have felt as good as Infinite. So many options, it's wonderful. And all of them are fun to use, effective, and a joy to watch.

I also hold F.E.A.R. in extremely high regard. I even kind of liked the second one, too. Third is a travesty against humanity, unfortunately.

Ithil

Yep I know, but breast size isn't at gargantuan levels lol

Well it never was, all the previews just happened to be looking down her cleavage, which I guess is the whole point of the corset,. It's always seemed reasonable when viewed from a normal angle.

Seems like an odd thing to discuss, but Irrational are not exactly Netherrealm Studios so I never expected it to be a gratitious problem.

noffles

Banned
I think I've hit a bug. Near the start of the game when I face the (very early game)
crow man
he doesn't drop the
murder of crows
vigor, even though my character remarks that he did. Does he normally drop a vigor? If so, is there another way to get it later on? I'm already past that part.

You find the vigor bottles scattered about quite a lot.

Amir0x

Banned
Just got my copy... Diving in just a little bit here! :D

Eager to hear your opinions as well. Even when we disagree, I know your perspective is genuine and greatly respect your thoughts.

Although now I'm crossing my fingers and hoping my PC don't shit out. Something is going on with my PC since I installed my HD Radeon 7870 and it's being weird. It just stopped recognizing 2 out of 8GB of my RAM and now the HD Radeon 7870 is acting weird as fudge when I play games all of a sudden. Skipping and being all bizarre like.

God I have some bad luck

DatDude

Banned
I think what impressed me the most about Bioshock Infinite is HOW good of a COMPLETE PACKAGE this game is.

I mean there are small things I hated. 2 weapons at a time, maybe a hacking tool (similar to bioshock 2 could've been put into the game), graphically doesn't pop as much as it does on the pc, and of course some small flaws here and there.

But honestly, if they fixed up those few design decisions (baring the graphical one, sux were in a 7th year of the console generation) than I could probably say that Bioshock Infinite is one of the greatest games made this generation.

Yeah, even Bioshock. I was mulling over for a bit, which game is better, which game is better. An than I thought it would be best not to compare it to Bioshock.

But I'm doing a playthrough of Bioshock right now (for comparisons sake) and damn. Either this game had a shit ton of flaws, or nostalgia is one hell of a drug.

The graphics are obviously dated, everything is incredibly scriped (including the pop up of the dead enemies), the first few levels are exteremly linear and the corridors are dark to the point where it becomes depressing (especially when compared to Columbia), it's honestly a bunch of fetch quests (get this camera, go kill this person, turn this off, etc), the game itself becomes pointless and irrelevant after the twist, generic final boss fight, endings that are short and unmemorable.

I've played Bioshock a few times, so I know all the narrative points. I know all the scripted events as well.

An honestly, it's a fucking chore to replay through.

I'm not sure if Infinite will suffer the same in the years ahead. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But honestly, I think I'm starting to feel that Infinite is truly the better game out of the 2 and that it may truly be the greatest game this gen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Has anyone received an email with their Industrial Revolution bonus items code?

You go to the site and click on the MyRewards tab at the top, confirm your platform, and then the code will be there. At least on PS3 you could download them as of yesterday. I got mine already.

Eager to hear your opinions as well. Even when we disagree, I know your perspective is genuine and greatly respect your thoughts.

Although now I'm crossing my fingers and hoping my PC don't shit out. Something is going on with my PC since I installed my HD Radeon 7870 and it's being weird. It just stopped recognizing 2 out of 8GB of my RAM and now the HD Radeon 7870 is acting weird as fudge when I play games all of a sudden. Skipping and being all bizarre like.

God I have some bad luck

Yes sir. You know me. I just have that passion for what I play. Sucks to hear about the bad luck though :( I hope you get it fixed in time.

Durante

I haven't seen a lot yet (I haven't even done anything but walk around yet!), but this is absolutely one of the most breathtakingly beautiful games I've ever played. I find myself spending a lot of time just gawking at everything (and taking screenshots). Kudos to the artists and programmers involved.

Well, it's only been 2 years since Bulletstorm came out. Thinking of all the FPSs that I've played since then, I don't think the strategical level of combat in any of them have felt as good as Infinite. So many options, it's wonderful. And all of them are fun to use, effective, and a joy to watch.

I also hold F.E.A.R. in extremely high regard. I even kind of liked the second one, too. Third is a travesty against humanity, unfortunately.

Yeah FEAR 2 was great FEAR 3 is shit. Plain and simple
I agree the combat is a joy, strategically it does have a lot of great options and adding Liz's tears into the mix becomes fun, but I wish she had a meter or limit to how many she can open. I sat on a roof before opening a turret tear constantly, when it was destroyed I could just open it again. Made things a little too easy

FartOfWar

Banned
Hmm, at what point? I'm a few hours in
just arrived at the docks, I think
and so far it never felt really open. Does it get more open later?

Now to be fair, I vastly prefer linear games, so I won't complain.

I'll have to let others who have played more than the intro areas which are more constrained by design back me up when i insist that things start to change as you continue playing.

Raxus

Playthrough on hard and it hasn't been terribly challenging so far. For everyone who has played Bioshock before you will want to go in at the hardest difficulty.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Damn, was reading a forum topic somewhere and there was a huge spoiler in it, just there to fuck people over. Sticking to this topic only from now on :(

FartOfWar

Banned
I think what impressed me the most about Bioshock Infinite is HOW good of a COMPLETE PACKAGE this game is.

I mean there are small things I hated. 2 weapons at a time, maybe a hacking tool (similar to bioshock 2 could've been put into the game), graphically doesn't pop as much as it does on the pc, and of course some small flaws here and there.

But honestly, if they fixed up those few design decisions (baring the graphical one, sux were in a 7th year of the console generation) than I could probably say that Bioshock Infinite is one of the greatest games made this generation.

Yeah, even Bioshock. I was mulling over for a bit, which game is better, which game is better. An than I thought it would be best not to compare it to Bioshock.

But I'm doing a playthrough of Bioshock right now (for comparisons sake) and damn. Either this game had a shit ton of flaws, or nostalgia is one hell of a drug.

The graphics are obviously dated, everything is incredibly scriped (including the pop up of the dead enemies), the first few levels are exteremly linear and the corridors are dark to the point where it becomes depressing (especially when compared to Columbia), it's honestly a bunch of fetch quests (get this camera, go kill this person, turn this off, etc), the game itself becomes pointless and irrelevant after the twist, generic final boss fight, endings that are short and unmemorable.

I've played Bioshock a few times, so I know all the narrative points. I know all the scripted events as well.

An honestly, it's a fucking chore to replay through.

I'm not sure if Infinite will suffer the same in the years ahead. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But honestly, I think I'm starting to feel that Infinite is truly the better game out of the 2 and that it may truly be the greatest game this gen.

I love you, too.

Amir0x

Banned
Damn, was reading a forum topic somewhere and there was a huge spoiler in it, just there to fuck people over. Sticking to this topic only from now on :(

Yeah there are roving bands of spoiling douchebags on the internet that live for that sort of thing. Always dodge out for highly anticipated games

Zeliard

1999 mode doesn't play around. I just loaded up a checkpoint to die so I could see what the death penalty is, and it costs 100 coin to respawn.

That seems like it's going to be significant.

Top Bottom