• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

DatDude

Banned
Not really, it's rather linear. But due to the floating world it still feels more open than it actually is.

I would disagree. I'd say the beginning levels/areas are more linear, but I feel like the levels themseleves open up quite a bit similarly to Bioshock 1. But that's just my opinion..

Derrick01

Banned
I know Derrick and Ami both strongly disliked Tomb Raider, but with good reason I just didn't share.

If they don't like this game then I don't really know what will do it for them. There's really not very much to dislike about this game.

I'm sure I will like this game more than Tomb Raider just as I'm sure I will like 90% of what I play this year more than Tomb Raider.

Brutal Doom is almost as good as Bioshock Infinite.

I've been playing this Requiem MegaWAD, which is created by some of the best Doom mappers of that period around '95-'97(some of which went on to work at id Software or Valve), and shit is just so...playable. Everything is so fast, there's no crappy story or cutscenes, just this great mix of interesting exploration, great enemy encounters/variety, and some of the most satisfying gunplay I've ever experience. Watching demons explode into bloody gibs from a Super Shotgun blast just never, ever, ever gets old.

And it's fuckin' hard! The AI is smarter now, they strafe your shots, they can come down from ledges, those tricky hitscanners...you're quicksaving like a mothafucka on Ultra Violence. Scavenging for every resource. I love my regenerating health, but it's a different experience from when you're on 30 health and you know there's a big fight back to break out when you grab that blue keycard.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Are you PC guys installing the new beta drivers that came out today? Or are you waiting to see how the game runs first on your current drivers?

So how much of this game is typical review/release hype and how much of it is genuinely top of the crop?

Because I want to sell my copy and buy it later, but you guys are getting me hyped

I know Derrick and Ami both strongly disliked Tomb Raider, but with good reason I just didn't share.

If they don't like this game then I don't really know what will do it for them. There's really not very much to dislike about this game. 5 hours in and my biggest complaint is that ADS is a Toggle-only.

I strongly disliked parts of Tomb Raider too and I fricken love this game lol
I ran out of FlyVPN trials. What do, GAF?

If you had the lite package running download the full installer,or vice cersa, might give you 3 more trials. I did that for Crysis 3 anyway and it worked cos I ran out of the 3 attempts

antitrop

Are you PC guys installing the new beta drivers that came out today? Or are you waiting to see how the game runs first on your current drivers?

I installed the Beta drivers before the game was even finished unpacking because I like to live dangerously.

No problems so far.

Milchjon

Nah, I don't think that's true. There's plenty of exploration to be done. It's only linear if you want it to be.

Hmm, maybe we use different definitions of linear. I'm exploring every nook and cranny, but there's always pretty much one real way to go, and no hub or something to return to older levels, so for me the word linear fits. It's closer to CoD than Borderlands for example in that regard.

If they don't like this game then I don't really know what will do it for them. There's really not very much to dislike about this game. 5 hours in and my biggest complaint is that ADS is a Toggle-only.

I loved TR but am only mildly liking this.

Milchjon

I would disagree. I'd say the beginning levels/areas are more linear, but I feel like the levels themseleves open up quite a bit similarly to Bioshock 1. But that's just my opinion..

Hmm, at what point? I'm a few hours in
just arrived at the docks, I think
and so far it never felt really open. Does it get more open later?

Now to be fair, I vastly prefer linear games, so I won't complain.

Stark

Banned
Hmm, maybe we use different definitions of linear. I'm exploring every nook and cranny, but there's always pretty much one real way to go, and no hub or something to return to older levels, so for me the word linear fits. It's closer to CoD than Borderlands for example in that regard.

its like Dishonored's world to me as I expected. There's stuff to do in the "playground." Or whatever ND used for TLOU, wide-linear was it?

I got the Professional Edition for $20 the other day. Thought the game looked interesting and I haven't played a Hitman game before. I'm in a stretch where I'm actually liking the game some now but parts of it really suck.

Get the HD collection if you're interested in the series. I haven't played Absolution, but it the HD collection, particularly Contracts and Blood Money are fantastic.

As far as killing time till tomorrow, I figure I'll finish up my Hard run of Metal Gear Rising. It's great, and I've played the shit out of it the last week or so, but I've really had it with that game.

Amir0x

Banned
I loved TR but am only mildly liking this.

ooh, this bodes well for Bioshock Infinite then. Bioshock Infinite must have gameplay that doesn't actually play itself or something ;)

I mean my expectations aren't really over the top.

I enjoyed the following things about Bioshock

☺ The way one mixes up abilities and gunplay (albeit it was a bit shallow in Bio 1; Bio 2 was much better in this regard)
☺ The amazing sense of place and atmosphere... Rapture is a location unlike any other in cinema or games. Columbia captures even 2/3 of this feel, it'd be a success.
☺ Fun to explore the world, due to the second bulletpoint. Unlike many I didn't mind the game ran on after "Would you Kindly?" because I had a great desire to see more of Fapture.
☺ The foreboding and understated soundtrack
☺ The audio log set up and hands-off approach to storytelling; understand as much or as little about the world as I like.

If Bioshock Infinite can simply match most of this and improve on the combat strategically, I'll consider it a success.

Bonus:
Find the easter egg in this post of mine!

She's "hot" because of her adorable facial expressions and whimsical innocence.

She's also got those huge eyes like a puppy dog, and a figure to die for lol. But like I said, if she were real she would look odd.
What I don't like is after a while she becomes more ragged and shows more cleavage, now I'm a hot blooded male and I love me some cleavage but I dunno, I expected more class or something. Guess they have to please those teenage boys somehow lol

kadotsu

Banned
Game looks beautiful and the attention to detail is staggering. A nice little touch are the radios that actually act like radios receiving a broadcast. As someone who loved the city in the sky in MP3 Corruption I'm sure I'll have a blast with this game.
Right now there is some stuttering that is slightly annoying but I'm sure some tinkering with the settings will solve that.

Milchjon

Oh, another slightly annoying thing: I hate it when games stray too far from the conventions of the genre when it comes to button layouts. In the heat of the battle, I'm always hitting melee when I want to exchange my weapon.
I know there are several different options for that, but when I finally realized that would be a problem, I had already learned the controls for everything else :-/

Well LOST sucks and created a blackhole in the spacetime continuum with its suckitude, excuse me for trying to get out of the way before I get sucked in :(

14k8ga9.gif

Hylian7

Only a couple of things have bugged me so far.

1. Only two weapons at a time?!

2. I really wish they would redo the Vigor (Plasmid equivalent) HUD for PC. They have it where it shows the last one you used and the one you're currently using. You can use the number keys to switch between all of them, but it feels weird since it only actually shows two at a time on the screen, and you have to memorize which ones are on which keys. I must have missed one somewhere, because I have ones on 1, 2, 3, and 5, missing a 4 one. This was the last one that I got:
Bucking Bronco

The game runs really well on my PC, and I'm running a Core i5 2500k overclocked to 4.0 GHz and an HD5850 with 8GB RAM.

I would record some footage and upload to YouTube, but I cannot get DXTory to work with this game for some reason. I am also having trouble getting the D3DOverrider Triple Buffering to work with it.

DatDude

Banned

How far are you?

Ithil

She's also got those huge eyes like a puppy dog, and a figure to die for lol. But like I said, if she were real she would look odd.
What I don't like is after a while she becomes more ragged and shows more cleavage, now I'm a hot blooded male and I love me some cleavage but I dunno, I expected more class or something. Guess they have to please those teenage boys somehow lol

Guess you've never seen her corset outfit in the previews.

24e6991885a582dcca3a767d0dea7a74f78f19cb.jpg__620x300_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

Old face design, but the same outfit.

antitrop

ooh, this bodes well for Bioshock Infinite then. Bioshock Infinite must have gameplay that doesn't actually play itself or something ;)

I mean my expectations aren't really over the top.

I enjoyed the following things about Bioshock

☺ The way one mixes up abilities and gunplay (albeit it was a bit shallow in Bio 1; Bio 2 was much better in this regard)
☺ The amazing sense of place and atmosphere... Rapture is a location unlike any other in cinema or games. Columbia captures even 2/3 of this feel, it'd be a success.
☺ Fun to explore the world, due to the second bulletpoint. Unlike many I didn't mind the game ran on after "Would you Kindly?" because I had a great desire to see more of Fapture.
☺ The foreboding and understated soundtrack
☺ The audio log set up and hands-off approach to storytelling; understand as much or as little about the world as I like.

If Bioshock Infinite can simply match most of this and improve on the combat strategically, I'll consider it a success.
I'd say I'm about a good 1/3 of the way through the game and so far, to me, it improves upon every single aspect you mentioned.

Some more than others, of course. The biggest "some more" being improving the combat strategically. This is probably the best gunplay I've played in an FPS since Bulletstorm.

DatDude

Banned
Hmm, at what point? I'm a few hours in
just arrived at the docks, I think
and so far it never felt really open. Does it get more open later?

Now to be fair, I vastly prefer linear games, so I won't complain.

Yeah, that's the problem.

It opens up. ALOT. lol

Zeliard

Still not too far in yet. I just got the gun, but it took me a bit to get there. Haven't met Elizabeth yet; I made sure to scour every place cause on 1999 mode every coin will matter (and there was quite a bit of coin to find so far, mostly off in hidden corners). The shooting feels surprisingly great, with the sole pistol I have right now. It feels meaty to shoot and enemies (at least the early ones) react to bullets with a feedback that just didn't exist in the previous Bioshocks. The Skyhook is just plain violent as a melee weapon.

The game is obscenely beautiful on a visual level. Everything is so extravagant that it's really breathtaking at times, and that's no hyperbole. It just looks incredible. However that also makes it stand out more when the townspeople are dead-eyed, largely identical to each other, and basically static.

The contrast in fidelity and sheer attention to detail between the environments and the human models is staggering. It can at times feel like you're walking through the most beautiful amusement park on the planet rather than a bustling city, and while they do a great deal to make it feel alive with environmental details and various technical effects, the static nature of the townspeople robs it of some of that.

I have no doubt Elizabeth will be a boon when it comes to making things feel a bit more lively, but it's too bad the townspeople seem so basic in comparison to everything else.

just bought the game on GMG

$46 ($14 cash back in 2-3 days)

Bioshock Infinite
Bioshock
X-COM
The Darkness 2

that's a fucking deal right there!

can't wait to preload and play tomorrow night :D

i'm sure my i5 750 @ 3.8ghz + GTX 670 will blast through this game with ease on me old 19" 1440*900 monitor

Amir0x

Banned
I'd say I'm about a good 1/3 of the way through the game and so far, to me, it improves upon every single aspect you mentioned.

Some more than others, of course. The biggest "some more" being improving the combat strategically. This is probably the best gunplay I've played in an FPS since Bulletstorm.

just what I want to hear. I value your opinion, you're one of those GAFers on my trust list, so coming from you I put great stock in your perspective here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Still not too far in yet. I just got the gun, but it took me a bit to get there. Haven't met Elizabeth yet; I made sure to scour every place cause on 1999 mode every coin will matter (and there was quite a bit of coin to find so far, mostly off in hidden corners). The shooting feels surprisingly great, with the sole pistol I have right now. It feels meaty to shoot and enemies (at least the early ones) react to bullets with a feedback that just didn't exist in the previous Bioshocks. The Skyhook is just plain violent as a melee weapon.

The game is obscenely beautiful on a visual level. Everything is so extravagant that it's really breathtaking at times, and that's no hyperbole. It just looks incredible. However that also makes it stand out more when the townspeople are dead-eyed, largely identical to each other, and basically static.

The contrast in fidelity and sheer attention to detail between the environments and the human models is staggering. It can at times feel like you're walking through the most beautiful amusement park on the planet rather than a bustling city, and while they do a great deal to make it feel alive with environmental details and various technical effects, the static nature of the townspeople robs it of some of that.

I have no doubt Elizabeth will be a boon when it comes to making things feel a bit more lively, but it's too bad the townspeople seem so basic in comparison to everything else.

Great to hear about hit reactions and bullet feedback. If they're good enough I'll play with health bars off. They seem kind of distracting floating above every individual enemies' head instead of being on the crosshair.

Top Bottom