• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Amir0x

Banned
Has anyone discussed what the 'code' is to unlock 1999 mode right away?

From the sounds of the difficulty, I think I might want to live dangerously here.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Dang so Hard is the way to start?

I wanted to do Normal then a Hard playthrough...but I guess I'll do a Hard playthrough then a 1999 one?

I don't know what I did wrong but I somehow lost about 2.5 hours of progress when my save decided to disappear, on Xbox. Really frustrating, not sure I'll come back to the game now.

I want to rush through it to get back to where I was but I'll miss all the videophones and extra gear... Sigh.

DatDude

Banned
Can we have a free spoiler thread? I want to discuss this ending.

it'll be posted tomorrow or tonight..either of the 2 i'm guessing.

Holy shit, if that is not the best gaming story ever told then i don't know what is. I need a little time to think about it, not sure yet if i understood everything but goddamn was it AMAZING!!

Glad you liked the ending to hahaha.

I got to admit. I think Infinite's ending is probably the deepest ending in a video game to date, just purely of how much it just makes you straight up think. An not just about the games plot, but life in general..at least for me..

I don't know what the rest of you gaffers think, but it has really affected me in a profound way. Can't wait to discuss it further with you guys in the spoiler thread :p

FINALBOSS

Banned
I don't know what I did wrong but I somehow lost about 2.5 hours of progress when my save decided to disappear, on Xbox. Really frustrating, not sure I'll come back to the game now.

You're going to deprive yourself of a godlike game cause you lost a few hours?

I'd rejoice if that fell upon me.

Sorian

Banned
I'm starting to get really excited now. I love mind fuck stories and it sounds like I'll have another one in my repertoire

Did anyone get the digital download from Best Buy? (yeah I know, but I had store credit with them)

Just wondering if anyone got a key yet or was able to pre-load it. I am assuming it won't get e-mailed to me until tomorrow but I was curious.

Darkkn

Game looks awesome on PC. Nice to seem Irrational putting effort on this version. Loving everything so far(2 hours in), except i'm feeling a little bit restrained by the level design.
Combat is surprisingly fun with the improved melee system and better shooting controls. Much improved from previous Shocks.

CrazyDude

Ya, I know exactly what you mean. That's how you play Call of Duty. Rapidly pressing and releasing the ADS button to instantly pop to enemy after enemy. The game plays itself. Infinite's aim-assist isn't nearly that bad.

Also, we haven't heard from Andrew in a while...

He probably left the thread, his game is going to arrive tomorrow.

antitrop

If the game maintains this level of quality, it will easily become my favourite game of this generation.

Considering that I've been slowly falling out of love with the current holder of that position (Red Dead Redemption) I think this may be true as well, for me.

I'm not convinced that it will hold the same quality through to the end, but if it does...

DatDude

Banned
Considering that I've been slowly falling out of love with the current holder of that position (Red Dead Redemption) I think this may be true as well, for me.

I'm not convinced that it will hold the same quality through to the end, but if it does...

the last few hours probably rival the first few hours.

surly

Banned
I chose the option to quit to the desktop from the pause menu and the game crashed. It froze for ages, then went back to the main menu with "press any key" on it, but pressing a key/button did nothing. I couldn't even bring up Task Manager to kill it, so I had to reboot my machine.

Behold your new queen

bioshockinfinite_20135yflf.jpg

Damn I wasn't even thinking about getting this anytime soon but seen some review videos and damn is this game beautiful, now I'm trying to get another game or two to trade in towards this:(

So, is it possible to have two games going at once? One on normal and another on hard?

I know there are no manual saves, but can you choose the difficulty when you select a chapter?

Willectro

Banned
I'm fucking done with consoles. EB Games just called to say my 360 premium edition preorder wouldn't be available tomorrow. Why are they accepting preorders and taking my money but not following through? To add insult to injury, I looked at the Steam preorder page and all those unlocks are amazing and the game is playable at midnight. I'm building a new PC soon and after that point I don't think I'll be returning to consoles for quite some time. The extreme level of bullshit is not worth it to play an inferior version of a game. Even having to put the disk in the drive is an annoyance I don't want to deal with any longer.

Sblargh

Banned
Different than Bioshock, I'm actually enjoying the gunplay this time around.
Also, (vigor spoilers)
Crows > Bees
I'm using this vigor every fight and not regretting it one bit. It's a very fun power to have.

As for the setting, it's not doing much to me. There are some shocking bits that are very well done, but in general, this americana thing doesn't resonate with me.

I'm fucking done with consoles. EB Games just called to say my 360 premium edition preorder wouldn't be available tomorrow. Why are they accepting preorders and taking my money but not following through? To add insult to injury, I looked at the Steam preorder page and all those unlocks are amazing and the game is playable at midnight. I'm building a new PC soon and after that point I don't think I'll be returning to consoles for quite some time. The extreme level of bullshit is not worth it to play an inferior version of a game. Even having to put the disk in the drive is an annoyance I don't want to deal with any longer.

One of us. One of us.

Amir0x

Banned
Are you kidding me? She's three sheets to the wind.

I'd be too if I lived in a world where everyone wears brown sacks but me :(

Willectro said:

You are in for a treat my friend. Haven't looked back since

Zeliard

Eurogamer said:
It took me 13 hours to finish the campaign on its regular difficulty setting. Finishing it on any setting unlocks 1999 Mode, where enemies are much tougher, your navigational aid is removed, and resource management is much more important to survival. Suddenly all those health items in bins and barrels start to make sense.

When you die in BioShock Infinite, you are brought back to the life but you lose some money and local enemies regain some of the health you've taken off them. One of the reasons 1999 Mode is so much more difficult than any other setting is that dying often uses up all your money and then you can't respawn, so you're sent back to the main menu and have to resume from your last autosave prior to the section where you died.

A certain (remarkably handsome) class of gamer will probably adore 1999, but it was too much for me. I was content to replay the game on the setting I finished it on - I wanted to experience it again but felt no need to up the ante.

Come one, come all.

Zeliard

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";51493776]Yeah, I'm about to drop down to Hard. 1999 really is tedious.[/QUOTE]

You'll have to start a new game unless you can tweak the difficulty setting through the config.

DatDude

Banned
Different than Bioshock, I'm actually enjoying the gunplay this time around.
Also, (vigor spoilers)
Crows > Bees
I'm using this vigor every fight and not regretting it one bit. It's a very fun power to have.

As for the setting, it's not doing much to me. There are some shocking bits that are very well done, but in general, this americana thing doesn't resonate with me.

makes me wonder how columbia would look like if they went with the original art noveu style

bioshock_infinite_conceptart_yoCRt.jpg

gonna crosspost here as well i guess

Giantbomb's review is up

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/bioshock-infinite-review/1900-568/

You'll see a lot of BioShock in Infinite, but even if you try to make direct comparisons between the two, it's clear that Infinite is a far better game than its predecessor. It moves at a better pace, with more meaningful and more playable big encounters than BioShock. But it still carries that sense of exploration and the feeling of dread that comes with knowing that everything is just continuing to unravel before your very eyes. Watching Columbia fall while attempting to take Elizabeth away from the floating city is a fantastic way to spend a few days.
Score:
5 out of 5

Top Bottom