• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Andrew.

Banned
Derrick has no choice to play through it this way.

Shawn himself even called it "Derrick Mode".

I await his impressions.

He'll probably claim the game is shit after he blazes through it tomorrow and will say there is no need to play through 1999 (because the game is shit)
Mark my words.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Only a couple of hours in, but it instantly solved one of BioShock's greatest problems: the gunplay. Shooting and fighting here feels so, so much better.

which difficulty mode to play... hmmm...

wanna try hard, but as long as someone here can confirm elizabeth's AI can hold up. Played enough games where higher difficulty scales enemies and you well, but not so your AI buddy.

antitrop

Seriously?

Seriously.

haha dude sorry, I've talked it about it in a few interviews. Working atm but a few features include: resurrection costs cash (since cash availability already differs in the mode rez expenditures come out of an already stretched-thin wallet with funds you need to use on upgrades), all foes revert to full HP on death, if you die without cash for a rez you'll have to load a quicksave, stuff like that. If some fool just stumbled into the mode thinking it was standard Hard or whatever he'd get massacred and hate the game. It's Derrick mode. Are you a bad enough dude to go full Derrick TM?

Amir0x

Banned
loving the comments about the improved combat. That was basically the first game's primary area of improvement required...

yeah. but apperantly the art noveu style woud've doubled the budget and development time according to the devs.

That would've doubled the budget? Would love to hear their explanation on why... or maybe they should just stop throwing out 5 games worth of content :p

which difficulty mode to play... hmmm...

wanna try hard, but as long as someone here can confirm elizabeth's AI can hold up. Played enough games where higher difficulty scales enemies and you well, but not so your AI buddy.

Elizabeth's AI is irrelevant, she doesn't participate in fights in that sense.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
gonna crosspost here as well i guess

Giantbomb's review is up

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/bio...view/1900-568/

Score:
5 out of 5

I have to agree, believe it or not but Infinite is better.

Only a couple of hours in, but it instantly solved one of BioShock's greatest problems: the gunplay. Shooting and fighting here feels so, so much better.

THIS! It feels soooo much better, also the sky hook combat works surprisingly great.

Sorian

Banned
Because some men like to be pansies and bitch about it later.

You and Derrick sometimes, I swear. Well, personally, I'm in for hard and will skip 99 mode. In a game like this where I have high hopes for the story, I don't need to feel like every little skirmish is a tedious affair. Which is exactly what 1999 mode sounds like.

Fjordson

I'm fucking done with consoles. EB Games just called to say my 360 premium edition preorder wouldn't be available tomorrow. Why are they accepting preorders and taking my money but not following through?
Amazon is always the answer. Brick and mortar stores are mostly trash these days.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I can't wait for the ending discussion thread, i think it will have many pages, there is a lot to talk about.

Andrew.

Banned
You and Derrick sometimes, I swear. Well, personally, I'm in for hard and will skip 99 mode. In a game like this where I have high hopes for the story, I don't need to feel like every little skirmish is a tedious affair. Which is exactly what 1999 mode sounds like.

Hard is my run through first too, my man. =D Lets do this.

Because some men like to be pansies and bitch about it later.

But the difficulty and restrictions need to be incorporated into the core design of the game or it just comes across artificial blah blah blah.

That said, 1999 doesn't sound very good to me. Seems like it could be bad frustrating, not good frustrating. I'll find out for myself when I get home!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Also, this game has atmosphere out the wazoo. The audio and art team deserve a round of applaud because they totally fucking nailed the sounds, colours, and themes of the chosen era. The kind of game where just when you think you've soaked it all in something new will pop up, an event will be triggered, or you'll hear an ambient sound, that will make you go "wow".

EDIT: And for what it's worth I'm playing on hard, but haven't died yet. Again, still early, but it's manageable. Sometimes enemies seem a bit bullet spongy for the difficulty, but since the actual combat is satisfying it's not a big problem. It's been a pretty good difficulty level so far, now that I think about. I might not have died, but I've always been very close or on edge. Forces me to think on my feet during combat, but doesn't resort to tedium.

DatDude

Banned
loving the comments about the improved combat. That was basically the first game's primary area of improvement required...

That would've doubled the budget? Would love to hear their explanation on why... or maybe they should just stop throwing out 5 games worth of content :p

There's a video on it.

I'll try to find it.

But basically Shawn Robertson explained that this

images

is much more complex to design, and create than say's Rapture 50's art deco which was basic geometry like rectangles/squares and what not.

Which would've lead to a more increased dev time, and budget.

Sorian

Banned
Also, this game has atmosphere out the wazoo. The audio and art team deserve a round of applaud because they totally fucking nailed the sounds, colours, and themes of the chosen era. The kind of game where just when you think you've soaked it all in something new will pop up, an event will be triggered, or you'll hear an ambient sound, that will make you go "wow".

Popping out my turtle beaches for this game, its been awhile since I dusted these off :p

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Okay, it's official. I have insomnia or I can't sleep tonight. Better to just stay up and play BioShock Infinite until I fall asleep or have to go to work. Could have been worse.

Amir0x

Banned
There's a video on it.

I'll try to find it.

images

is much more complex to design, and create than say's Rapture 50's art deco which was basic geometry like rectangles/squares and what not.

man, to have infinite development dollars... that would have been so swell. Anyway, thanks for the extended explanation. Really appreciate it :)

Just played 1 hour and im in love with the setting. Americana setting is just beautiful in this game, the buildings, the fireworks, the use of colors, the shops, the music, the scenes with people...

Its like im in Disneyland's Main Street USA!

And I havent yet had an enemy encounter! Im loving much more the first scenes than in Bioshock (apart from the andrew ryan movie that was excellent). And the NPCs, my god, their design is actually likable this time (and im not talking about the deformed people in Bioshock, im talking about the normal ones that still looked like shit).

There's a video on it.

I'll try to find it.

images

Its strange because they are still using this types of Art Noveau posters for some of the ingame ads in Infinite.

Zeliard

I loved this part really early on, so purdy:

http://i2.minus.com/iXXMXQkC0CLxQ.png

Minor spoilers at most, it's close to the very start.

antitrop

It literally took me
hours to get to Elizabeth.

That's how slowly and carefully I was playing the game, looking at every detail. My God.

Turn off the arrows in options. Now. Then enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnZ7ipQF858

Hey, i just bought the game for the ps3 (my pc is not that great unfortunately) even knowing about the weak textures and the other cutbacks to support you guys and this kind of game.

That being said, it would be nice if you guys would be considering to port the pc version to the Ps4 so that guys like me could get the opportunity to experience the whole beauty of your baby.

Would you kindly think about that.

I'm fucking done with consoles. EB Games just called to say my 360 premium edition preorder wouldn't be available tomorrow. Why are they accepting preorders and taking my money but not following through?

I feel for you, but I felt that this was appropriate for the situation. One of my favorite scenes.

NFQyR21HU052YU0x_o_seinfeld---the-car-reservation.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
It literally took me
hours to get to Elizabeth.

That's how slowly and carefully I was playing the game, looking at every detail. My God.

seems you and me have a similar strategy of playing new games

i always go around so agonizingly slow in the games with amazing world design. Like, I really went around super slow throughout Alice: Madness Returns, for example.

Top Bottom