• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yup, it's recommended to play on the hard difficulty. This setting is so immersive that you just want to explore and mess around with stuff. I must have searched every bin I came across till now. Why can't we live in a place like this? :(

DatDude

Banned
Yup, it's recommended to play on the hard difficulty. This setting is so immersive that you just want to explore and mess around with stuff. I must have searched every bin I came across till now. Why can't we live in a place like this? :(

The better question is why aren't more publishers funding games that take place in unique settings like Columbia/Rapture!

At least you can visit something very similar if you go to Disneyland lol

Zeliard

And what about
the quartet barber guys singing in the float
, I said fucking WOW Then i just sat there listening to them lol

Haha yeah that was cool, I waited till they were done then watched the boat go off and disappear behind the clouds. :p It's pretty cool how they animate all that stuff out even though a lot of people will probably just walk by it.

Magnus

I'm glad others are agreeing on the audio for this game.

It's that good.

I must be around 7 or 8 hours in. Even if things feel fetch-questy right now, super-interesting things are still happening.

I love this world. Every time I groan at the prospect of a potentially dull-looking new area on the load screen, something happens within a minute of me being in that new area that instantly makes me perk up and give a huge shit all over again.

YAY BIOSHOCK

Haha yeah that was cool, I waited till they were done then watched the boat go off and disappear behind the clouds. :p It's pretty cool how they animate all that stuff out even though a lot of people will probably just walk by it.

This! I've totally been wandering around and letting things play out. I want to see and soak in everything.

Varg

Banned
I have the game preloaded on steam but I've heard of an additional Texture pack download? Where am I able to download this?

antitrop

I have the game preloaded on steam but I've heard of an additional Texture pack download? Where am I able to download this?
The rumors were not true. The pre-load on Steam is all the files that the game will need. The highest resolution textures are included in the pre-load.

Does it just download from Steam? I've been wondering too. If its outside Steam, shouldn't we be able to download it before the game unlocks on Steam?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK the checkpoint system in this game

Had a crash and lost like 20m of play. It's not going to be nearly as interesting the second time discovering the exact same shit. Does 2K lose money every time someone does a manual save?

Fucking fuck

FartOfWar

Banned
Different than Bioshock, I'm actually enjoying the gunplay this time around.
Also, (vigor spoilers)
Crows > Bees
I'm using this vigor every fight and not regretting it one bit. It's a very fun power to have.

As for the setting, it's not doing much to me. There are some shocking bits that are very well done, but in general, this americana thing doesn't resonate with me.

Combo them Vigors. Devils Kiss on crows for example. Experiment though as theres a load of results.

antitrop

Manual saves will need to be patched into the game. It's rather unacceptable and the most glaring flaw on PC.

Only having FXAA is quite a sin, but with downsampling I don't even care and people have figured out ways to inject SMAA. But ain't nobody injecting saved games.

Manual saves will need to be patched into the game. It's rather unacceptable and the most glaring flaw on PC.

This, just had a bug in one of the
carnival games
were I got stuck and had to restart it with some of them undone.
Thats why im writting right now here, if not I would have been still playing.

The recommendation of swapping out RMB for ironsights instead of vigors is a fantastic idea. I rarely get to take advantage of buttons outside of the main three.
Does the game have scary parts like Bio 1?
In a way, yes. I mean, it's very disconcerting to see whatever is going on during such a wonderful day in the sky. I never felt splicer-sheet-wrapper-tutorial scared.

antitrop

But it speaks great volumes to the quality of this game that my biggest concerns are PC port issues. This is a landmark achievement in gaming and I'm proud to be experiencing it.

The recommendation of swapping out RMB for ironsights instead of vigors is a fantastic idea. I rarely get to take advantage of buttons outside of the main three.

Ya, I said that hours ago. I put Vigor on Middle click. It's teeth-grindingly frustrating that the PC port ONLY has a Toggle option for ADS and no 'Hold'. It's so unnatural.

Grief.exe

Oh man. They actually call them clips...

Msyk1lU.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
But it speaks great volumes to the quality of this game that my biggest concerns are PC port issues. This is a landmark achievement in gaming and I'm proud to be experiencing it.

*SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH*

*pulls car over*

W...what PC port issues?

From the PC Performance thread, apparently the PC HD Textures are already included in the download? I need to get my homework done in 90 minutes to play right away then!

FartOfWar

Banned
which difficulty mode to play... hmmm...

wanna try hard, but as long as someone here can confirm elizabeth's AI can hold up. Played enough games where higher difficulty scales enemies and you well, but not so your AI buddy.

Liz will never hold you back or require babysitting -- not on any mode.

Zeliard

I just left the vigors on the right mouse button because I can't work with toggle zoom on rmb.

Toggle zoom. I mean why does that even exist.

FartOfWar

Banned
loving the comments about the improved combat. That was basically the first game's primary area of improvement required...

That would've doubled the budget? Would love to hear their explanation on why... or maybe they should just stop throwing out 5 games worth of content :p

Wow, that's not true AT ALL. That style wasn't abandoned due to costs. Pfft.

Grief.exe

which difficulty mode to play... hmmm...

wanna try hard, but as long as someone here can confirm elizabeth's AI can hold up. Played enough games where higher difficulty scales enemies and you well, but not so your AI buddy.

I'm very impressed with her AI so far.

There is no need for hand holding and impossible for her to get stuck, she is always right behind you.

Oh man. They actually call them clips...

Did the NY Times review get linked already? Love reading mainstream reviews to get their perspective on the stuff we obsess over.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/26/arts/video-games/bioshock-infinite-irrationals-new-video-game.html

High praise.

Everyone can stop worrying. With BioShock Infinite, which goes on sale on Tuesday, Mr. Levine and his colleagues at Irrational have produced yet another video game that is a model of what the medium can achieve. This world — an alternate history with a dollop of science fiction that is set in the United States of 1912 — is dense, fascinating and inventive.

With reasonable critique.

Not everything in the game is perfect. The world and the characters are so well drawn that small, video gamy things feel infelicitous. Why does Booker spend so much of his time rather creepily rifling through the pockets of freshly dead corpses, looking for ammunition and spare change? Why do some bodies turn into searchable lockboxes upon death? Why are there vending machines that sell weapons for coins (thus requiring Booker to spend so much of his time corpse robbing)?

And a nice summation

A game like this, which demands a deep and focused investment of player time and attention, is powerful evidence that narrative for people with long attention spans is thriving. You just have to know where to look.

antitrop

*SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH*

*pulls car over*

W...what PC port issues?
Only FXAA in game with a Binary toggle. UI scales way down with downsampling, I can't go higher than 2880x1660 or the UI is unreadable (#firstworldproblems). ADS is a Toggle only. No manual saving. Huge stuttering problems for some(that I have not had myself).

That's it, though. As I've said throughout the day in the PC performance thread, this game runs on par with many other UE3 games as far as actual performance goes. I'm getting locked 60.

DatDude

Banned
Wow, that's not true AT ALL. That style wasn't abandoned due to costs. Pfft.

Shawn said that in a video though.

I mean maybe it wasn't the primary reason i'm guessing, but he said it's much more difficult to make that kind of style, and that it would've cost more money.

his words, i swear i'm not lying. maybe he is, but there is a video that i'm desperately trying to find.

Zeliard

Shawn said that in a video though.

I mean maybe it wasn't the primary reason i'm guessing, but he said it's much more difficult to make that kind of style, and that it would've cost more money.

his words, i swear i'm not lying. maybe he is, but there is a video that i'm desperately trying to find.

rofl

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The only "port issue" I've ran into are technical quotes common with UE3. Poor shadow rendering distance and stuttering being the two biggest culprits. Stuttering isn't often, but the dip in frames when streaming new data is noticeable. And I put that down squarely to UE3, due to numerous UE3 games on PC having the same problem no matter how powerful your hardware is. High quality shadow rendering distance is ass, maybe tweakable. But that's it.

No bugs. No crashes. Not enough AA options (literally just one mysterious "Anti-Aliasing", probably FXAA), but again it's UE3.

tm24

So where is the Industrial Revolution code on the puzzle site? I click on the my rewards in Chrome and nothing comes up and when i open it up in IE i don't see anything either

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So where is the Industrial Revolution code on the puzzle site? I click on the my rewards in Chrome and nothing comes up and when i open it up in IE i don't see anything either

It's the My Rewards tab at the top of the page, not the main menu of the game itself. It took me a while to find it too.

iMax

Anyone got any tips for the last mission
on the airship with the Songbird? Even on Easy it's still impossible. My ship keeps getting destroyed :/

Top Bottom