• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

finished it
dont give up if you dont enjoy the very linear first hour of the game.
level design will open up, gameplay gets better.its fun, though never really great.

the games strenghts are clearly the art design (and hell it delivers there), atmosphere and narrative. the story is really way over the top, one hell of a ride.

Now I'll have a look at that 1999 mode.

Wtf, didnt it just come out an hour ago? Lol

What have you guys been using your Infusion on? Health, shield or salt?
I feel like upgrading salt so I can use vigors more often, but I'm playing on Hard (wanna unlock 1999 the proper way) and Health/Shield might come in handy.

Amir0x

Banned
What, why would you want us to spoiler pictures?

Because discovering and exploring new areas is at least half of what the game is about and for many is infinitely more spoilertastic than any story details?

Like I said, it's just a request and I don't expect anyone to listen, but I thought I'd give it a shot before I had to bail out as rivers of 1080p screen shots of all the interesting areas in the game get leaked in this topic

Neiteio

Game looks perfect on my PC, which lays to rest any worry I had about my GTX560M being above minimum but below "recommended." Crisp image quality and smooth framerate. Columbia looks INCREDIBLE. I'm a bit baffled at how carefree some of these NPCs are sitting on railings and such...

I'll save this for after I beat Luigi's Mansion 2 (which is quite possibly my GOTY so far -- better dungeons than Zelda, funnily enough). A question about Infinite, though: I see there's a Chapters page, but I haven't played far enough to see if it bookmarks -every- chapter for future replays. Does it? Because that would be convenient, if so. With BioShock 1, I had to make separate saves in order to, say, quickly revisit Fort Frolic if I wanted to show it to someone.

DukeBobby

What have you guys been using your Infusion on? Health, shield or salt?
I feel like upgrading salt so I can use vigors more often, but I'm playing on Hard and Health/Shield might come in handy.

I'm playing on medium, so I'm using them on salts.

The game is way too easy on medium, I'll probably do it on 1999 mode on my second playthrough.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
1 hour in and damn if the game doesn't nail the atmosphere.

Took some downsampled shots from 2560x1440 (to 1080p). Game is very nice artistically....

bioshockinfinite2013-o0del.png

bioshockinfinite2013-l9dxz.png

bioshockinfinite2013-8xfbo.png

bioshockinfinite2013-7sd6z.png

bioshockinfinite2013-0kftq.png

bioshockinfinite2013-77dho.png

bioshockinfinite2013-iocjn.png

That's it for me for now. Game is impressive indeed.

DatDude

Banned
finished it
dont give up if you dont enjoy the very linear first hour of the game.
level design will open up, gameplay gets better.its fun, though never really great.

the games strenghts are clearly the art design (and hell it delivers there), atmosphere and narrative. the story is really way over the top, one hell of a ride.

Now I'll have a look at that 1999 mode.

What did you personally prefer. Bioshock narrative? Or Bioshock Infinite?

Personally..and this stems from my playthroughs, that Bioshocks narrative was to simple. Which isn't bad persay..but honestly it's:

Dude wrecks in city-led by random mysterious irish man to escape-do fetch quests-sub explode/family die-take revenge on ryan-more fetch quest-meet ryan-find out irish man control you-go take revenge on him-story done.

With Infinite..I don't know..things are quite more complex, but in a good way that always kept me engaged and intrigue...and I feel will live longer in my memory compared to Bioshock 1 plot.

Amir0x

Banned
Gah, LiquidMetal!

And with that I'm officially out of this topic. A true shame :(

I'll save this for after I beat Luigi's Mansion 2

good idea on saving the best for last. get them mediocre barely-games out the way so we can get the sour taste out of our mouths and focus on true game design kings

Neiteio

good idea on saving the best for last. get them mediocre barely-games out the way so we can get the sour taste out of our mouths and focus on true game design kings
Hardly the case, but keep assuming sequels never expand dramatically on their predecessors! Game has been universally well-received, btw, with no hand-holding, not to mention better dungeons and bosses than Zelda games of late, and more secrets, as well.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Yeah, AO is what's raping performance if you're having some issue.

I was getting like a bagillion FPS on my GTX 660 with the FPS unlocked--but the tearing is disgusting.

So I re-locked it and it was super sluggish...turned down AO a little bit and now it's super smooth.

The best part about playing this game was I knew absolutely nothing and every little thing I encountered was blessed by that fact

A shame that Amir0x won't know the same pleasure :(

Baust

Does the PC version have multiple save files/profiles? I'm back at home for Spring Break and a family member wants to check out the game too.

DatDude

Banned
We have a screenshots thread.

Yup. An please quote them as well guys. Those pics are enormous.

But, these pics are a really resounding reminder as to why I play and love video games.

When things click on all cylinders, and there is true creative freedom, than something you interact in the form of a video game can rival the best of cinema or novels, imo.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not bad for a game which has only been out for a short time

capturez8dus.png

I must say, the music in the game is amazing. Love the atmosphere.

Derrick01

Banned
Only played a good 20 minutes before getting a little bored and deciding to wait until tomorrow to really get into it. But jesus this looks good on PC. I'm playing on all high settings with textures at ultra and so far I'm getting 60fps at 1080p.

GTA V will take it all while being San Andreas 2

If GTA 5 is san andreas 2 then it will deserve game of the forever status.

DatDude

Banned
Only played a good 20 minutes before getting a little bored and deciding to wait until tomorrow to really get into it. But jesus this looks good on PC. I'm playing on all high settings with textures at ultra and so far I'm getting 60fps at 1080p.

Your saying something positive? Am in some alternate universe :O

Grats to all having fun, decided to control myself and wait for my Gamefly copy. Now to just avoid spoilers considering everyone will be done by the time I start...

What a horrible post to be the page topper, wth

Derrick01

Banned
Your saying something positive? Am in some alternate universe :O

I'm saying the graphics are amazing which is kind of captain obvious territory, but even on my modest 470 I'm still able to get that kind of performance at those settings which is kind of blowing me away. I'm going to really test it tomorrow for a bit to see what I can get away with and still have 60fps.

Talon

My word, this game's style is beautiful. If we're lucky, this will start a Pax Romana of games in bright vibrant settings.

Just an hour and a half in, and I'm having a blast. Hard mode is definitely where it's at.

Moff

What did you personally prefer. Bioshock narrative? Or Bioshock Infinite?
infinite, easily, its much more engaging, and so much over the top, its hilariously fun.

I think by the way that bioshock 1s narrative was one if its bigger weaknesses (next to leveldesign and gameplay). the beginning and the end of bioshock 1 were awesome, great atmosphere, great twist. but halfway though the game I just got bored. the narrative sucked for the most part of the game.

infinite does not have that problem

Amir0x

Banned
I'm saying the graphics are amazing which is kind of captain obvious territory, but even on my modest 470 I'm still able to get that kind of performance at those settings which is kind of blowing me away. I'm going to really test it tomorrow for a bit to see what I can get away with and still have 60fps.

you're on a 470 and maxing out here? Wow, nice.

I thought I had to purchase an HD Radeon 7870 to get max settings 'cause canyourunit had me at mid recommended and Tomb Raider ran like shit on my HD Radeon 5870...

Seems this page is free of pictures but

*runs quickly back out of topic*

DatDude

Banned
infinite, easily, its much more engaging, and so much over the top, its hilariously fun.

I think by the way that bioshock 1s narrative was one if its bigger weaknesses (next to leveldesign and gameplay). the beginning and the end of bioshock 1 were awesome, great atmosphere, great twist. but halfway though the game I just got bored. the narrative sucked for the most part of the game.

infinite does not have that problem

yeah biggest improvement by far in infinite i think.

The narrative never lets up or just falls completely apart like it did in Bioshock.

What do you think was your favorite section of the game?

Beginning, Middle, or End?

Personally I want to say it's the Beginning, but damn if the End doesn't give it a good fight.

TaKeRx

Anyone has a problem with the x60 controller while playing on PC? When I loot a body, I cannot pick an individual item. It only gives me an option to take all.

I'm I missing something?

BTW: This game has been amazing so far. Did not read a single thing about it and so far I'm very into the game.

Top Bottom