• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Odrion

Banned
The graphics are pretty dated for what passes for PC games, eeeeh.

You call those rosebushes? Bad Company 2 had better floral.

CrazyDude

Just about ready to play! Got a signed copy too.

jrZNYgVPoljzr.jpg

Is the original Bioshock on the disc or is it a code?

Neiteio

The graphics are pretty dated for what passes for PC games, eeeeh.

You call those rosebushes? Bad Company 2 had better floral.
Yeah, the rosebushes are lame, and so are the NPCs with their sunken eyes and wooden faces. But the moment you see entire city blocks bobbing up to the railing of your balcony... LAWD HAVE MERCY.

RoKKeR

Absolutely fucking speechless. The first 30-45 minutes were constantly jaw dropping, and even just dipping into the combat I can tell it is deep and loads of fun.

I've never been as immersed with a game's world, art, music, style, lighting, sound, sense of place, as I have with Columbia, and that's with only 90 minutes under my belt.

This is a special game.

Played through the tutorial, holly shit who ever design this entire level is a genius.

Hey how are you guy playing this game on PC? I need to work out how I map my mouse, does contoller work decent?

Odrion

Banned
The world is friggen amazing regardless. Even if it's just 1910 steampunk in the skyyyyyy I could just walk around and soak in the world forever.

fleck0

Super disappointed at how they fucked up mouse sensetivity controls. Hopefully fans have found proper tweaks, hate when games make bad first impressions because of poor QA

Moff

yeah biggest improvement by far in infinite i think.

The narrative never lets up or just falls completely apart like it did in Bioshock.

What do you think was your favorite section of the game?

Beginning, Middle, or End?

Personally I want to say it's the Beginning, but damn if the End doesn't give it a good fight.
the beginning left me quite underwhelmed, frankly. but maybe only because it pales in comparison to bioshock 1s awesome beginning.
as soon as you get your companion its rollercoaster, I just couldnt stop playing

Played for about 3.5, just
got Elizabeth and I can't even explain how incredible the lead up is to finally getting inside the library. I'd seen that footage in reviews and shit and I was like 'Aw, bummer, that would have been fun to see fresh' but the surroundings are so goddamned massive and intense and you're like WHAT THE DANG have they built around this girl, and you're like going outside and the wind and I mean -- HOLY SHIT.

I came into this damn thread to just read and then go to bed but now I gotta DAMN PLAY MORE DAMN IT.

Toa TAK

Banned
Just came back from the Nico Vega concert. Awesome stuff. Didn't stay because my copy is coming in the mail tomorrow while I'm at work.

DatDude

Banned
the beginning left me quite underwhelmed, frankly. but maybe only because it pales in comparison to bioshock 1s awesome beginning.
as soon as you get your companion its rollercoaster, I just couldnt stop playing

you didn't
skip the credits did you

Lawd have mercy on how many of my friends have already done this.

TaKeRx

Played through the tutorial, holly shit who ever design this entire level is a genius.

Hey how are you guy playing this game on PC? I need to work out how I map my mouse, does contoller work decent?

The 360 controller works perfectly. It has all the button layouts like most of all PC games nowadays.

Dinosur

Has anyone played the pc version with a 360 controller and quit yet? My mouse is completely fucked afterwards; it's moving at light speed. I screwed around in the control panel and it still doesn't seem right (and it shouldn't matter because I have a G700 with custom profiles).

fleck0

Has anyone played the pc version with a 360 controller and quit yet? My mouse is completely fucked afterwards; it's moving at light speed. I screwed around in the control panel and it still doesn't seem right (and it shouldn't matter because I have a G700 with custom profiles).

This tip from antitrop worked wonders for me

Open XUserOptions.ini in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config

Change:

MinMouseLookSensitivity=0.100000
MaxMouseLookSensitivity=1.000000

Thank me later, you can tweak that further to your liking depending on your DPI.

This sensitivity bug makes it look like they either didn't bother testing with a mouse or ignored the one guy who did's bug reports

TaKeRx

Hmm.. That's odd. After playing the game, I'm not getting the light speed mouse.

EDIT: I see there's a fix. I'll be keeping that in mind if it ever happens. Thanks!

Your my mouse sensitivity is set on max dpi on my mouse and I can't find a happy medium between fast and smooth. Well good night folks, Columbia exceeded my expectations. So colorful, and I spent way to much time gawking at everything. I haven't even gotten to the combat!

Grief.exe

This tip from antitrop worked wonders for me

This sensitivity bug makes it look like they either didn't bother testing with a mouse or ignored the one guy who did's bug reports

No kidding, the original settings were far worse than Max Payne 3.

It jumped from nothing to infinity in one slot.

I changed mine to

MinMouseLookSensitivity=0.001000
MaxMouseLookSensitivity=0.200000

I love that the main character says things that i think or would say.... And not just what he says but how he says it lol... Like how he we will say shit under gis breath. Its so gooood!

I have no idea how people can use a controller for FPS' its so bad :p

i don't know i guess i was a console-only player for so long i just got used to it. i know it's not as precise but it's just more comfortable and natural for me. i did play through minervas den with the mouse on PC and didn't have a problem with it after a little bit of adjusting but i'll usually use the controller on PC games if it's an option. my console classlessness shines through again :(

Harpuia

Well this is kind of a bummer! The game was running well and smoothly, albeit on some low settings, but it looked gorgeous running on my GTX 660M. And then I go install the new driver for it and suddenly the game lags like all hell and it's kinda sad. Anyone else having any similar issues?

NVM, my laptop charger wasn't plugged. Glad the issue is solved! The game's great so far, and them graphics.

Explain plz

Hard mode is better balanced for someone used to playing games. 1999 is all "headshots don't kill people cuz why not". It's not 1999 mode as in "old game hard", they just throw more enemies at you with higher health bars and better accuracy and punish you more for fucking up. I assumed it was closer to New Vegas' Hardcore mode where the style of game changes, but it didn't feel that way to me. It's not like you suddenly get a grid inventory or anything. It's a really bad idea for a first playthrough unless you really like dragging ass through a game. Hard mode tests you without being stupid. It feels right, and you can really enjoy the quality of the game. 1999 is kind of arbitrary, there's a disconnect between my expectation as a player and the actual challenge of a situation.

XenoRaven

I played for about an hour. Didn't get to any real action. I'm really just soaking in the scenery and atmosphere at this point. It's really amazing. Exploring the city combined with the constant music is providing enough enjoyment just by itself. The opening is a much slower burn than Bioshock and I am totally cool with that. The city is beautiful, but the more you progress, the more things seem a little off. There's a real tension there. Can't wait to tackle the game proper.

I was getting some framerate dips in some portions of the game. I updated my drivers though so hopefully it will get better when I try again tomorrow.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Game desperately needs a save on quit, delete on load function. I'm totally fine with no manual saving, but the font for when the game autosaves is really tiny and it can be a pretty long time between checkpoints. Kept pausing and checking to see if I hit a checkpoint so that I could actually quit the game.

raven777

I don't know if its my computer's problem but mouse sensitivity is too high for this game. I put lowest sensitivity on the option but it still moves too fast. I even lowered it on my desktop but it is still too fast.

Maybe I should just plug in 360 controller and play it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";51515604]Hard mode is better balanced for someone used to playing games. 1999 is all "headshots don't kill people cuz why not". It's not 1999 mode as in "old game hard", they just throw more enemies at you with higher health bars and better accuracy and punish you more for fucking up. I assumed it was closer to New Vegas' Hardcore mode where the style of game changes, but it didn't feel that way to me. It's not like you suddenly get a grid inventory or anything. It's a really bad idea for a first playthrough unless you really like dragging ass through a game. Hard mode tests you without being stupid. It feels right, and you can really enjoy the quality of the game.[/QUOTE]

Time for me to restart on hard instead of 1999, then...

sn00zer

Really glad to see they did a more expansive slow opening.....slow openings in FPS are probably my favorite gaming experiences...HL,HL2,Bioshock....just letting you soak it all in....more developers need to do this

XenoRaven

Game desperately needs a save on quit, delete on load function. I'm totally fine with no manual saving, but the font for when the game autosaves is really tiny and it can be a pretty long time between checkpoints. Kept pausing and checking to see if I hit a checkpoint so that I could actually quit the game.
Yeah I was noticing that too. I don't think I saw the game autosave once. When I quit, I just hoped I wouldn't lose too much progress.

Time for me to restart on hard instead of 1999, then...

When I first started 1999 mode and got to the first battle, I mistook the difficulty of the enemies and my own fragility as a cue to run for it, but I wound up charging into a hard-to-see automated turret and a spawn area for the baddies. I flipped around and tried to figure out how to use the rail, but didn't know that ability unlocks later, so I got killed, which then sapped all my money. It felt artificial.

Grief.exe

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";51515604]Hard mode is better balanced for someone used to playing games. 1999 is all "headshots don't kill people cuz why not". It's not 1999 mode as in "old game hard", they just throw more enemies at you with higher health bars and better accuracy and punish you more for fucking up. I assumed it was closer to New Vegas' Hardcore mode where the style of game changes, but it didn't feel that way to me. It's not like you suddenly get a grid inventory or anything. It's a really bad idea for a first playthrough unless you really like dragging ass through a game. Hard mode tests you without being stupid. It feels right, and you can really enjoy the quality of the game.[/QUOTE]

Seriously?

So the game doesn't take skill into account at all? That coupled with the checkpoint system could be real frustrating.

I've been just playing through on Hard and haven't run into any issues, I've just been headshotting all day with the carbine.

All that CS and TF2 is paying off in dividends.

yeah this is trash. why would they make this design decision? and how do i even know that it has saved or that i reached a checkpoint? when i quit out the only way i could really tell where it saved is it said "your last save was at 10:31 PM" so then i'd say ok that was like 4 minutes ago.... what did i do since then

justjim89

I feel bad that I'm not excited for this like everyone else is. Bioshock 1 and 2 are sitting in my Steam library not currently even installed. I'm maybe 8 or 9 hours into Bioshock 1, haven't touched 2, and I got about 5 hours into System shock 2 the week it went up on GOG. They just can't hold my attention, and i'm not sure why. I love RPG's, I love shooters, and Bioshock combines them pretty effectively. I can't think of anything I don't like about the game, it just feels like I'm not getting something. Great atmosphere, great art style, smooth blending of genres, widely acclaimed, I keep wondering what is failing to capture me. Perhaps it's just after being told the game is so great for so long, I just go into it with a mindset of "Yeah, so what? What's so special?" at a subconscious level.

I know it shouldn't bother me so much, but it does. Especially with the craze over Infinite.

antitrop

yeah this is trash. why would they make this design decision? and how do i even know that it has saved or that i reached a checkpoint? when i quit out the only way i could really tell where it saved is it said "your last save was at 10:31 PM" so then i'd say ok that was like 4 minutes ago.... what did i do since then

I actually can't believe they shipped the game with this save system, at least on PC.

Helmholtz

Yeah... I'm still near the start, but my last two saves were like 15 minutes apart.
Other than that the game looks and sounds amazing. I'm super impressed. Haven't gotten to the combat yet though. I could honestly just walk around in this world for hours :p

Top Bottom