• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Zeliard

My concern with 1999 mode was that they would go too far with buffing enemy health and damage. It's a shame if so because some of the stuff like death penalties being much harsher and leading to scarcer resources clearly adds a lot.

1999 mode ideally should have been a difficulty modifier rather than its own difficulty, and without the buffs to enemies.

I'm sticking with it, though. I'll let you guys know how it ends up in the mid-game.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";51515829]When I first started 1999 mode and got to the first battle, I mistook the difficulty of the enemies and my own fragility as a cue to run for it, but I wound up charging into a hard-to-see automated turret and a spawn area for the baddies. I flipped around and tried to figure out how to use the rail, but didn't know that ability unlocks later, so I got killed, which then sapped all my money. It felt artificial.[/QUOTE]

Well, in those particular instances you're meant to use the Possession vigor that's on the way to the turrets.

aett

Game desperately needs a save on quit, delete on load function. I'm totally fine with no manual saving, but the font for when the game autosaves is really tiny and it can be a pretty long time between checkpoints. Kept pausing and checking to see if I hit a checkpoint so that I could actually quit the game.

Seriously, this is a stupid flaw for such a good game. I've been playing for an hour, and my PC just crashed, so now who knows how much I've lost.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Save system sounds terrible and the 1999 mode seems like a disappointment. I'll be sure to start on Hard instead.

I'm still looking forward to this a lot more than I was previously. City in the sky stuff is always a very cool setting to me, and seeing it apparently well realized will be right up my alley. Just hope the reports of gunplay being far above bioshock 1 hold true.

Seriously?

So the game doesn't take skill into account at all? That coupled with the checkpoint system could be real frustrating.
It does, but when you don't know what the game expects from you, and the first encounter is a relatively open area with over a dozen bad guys that clip you as soon as there's a line of sight and you only have a melee weapon and a non-offense ability, it's easy to get frustrated. I figured out on the third try how the game expected me to constantly be on the move between cover and use my ability to take out the turrets temporarily while I run, but it definitely was more tedious than fun.

I felt like I had to run past a lot of interesting things in order to survive, which is one of the main reasons I dropped down to hard.

Well, in those particular instances you're meant to use the Possession vigor that's on the way to the turrets.
I did, but 1999 throws a lot at you quickly compared to how even-paced the rest of the intro was. It's hard to gauge the quality of the game with 1999 and I'm glad I dropped it because it instantly made more sense to me and became more fun.

Headshots don't seem to kill enemies on hard either. Close range shotgun blasts are the only 1 hit kills I've seen so far

Vigors seem like the way to go for quickly dispatching enemies

i don't know i guess i was a console-only player for so long i just got used to it. i know it's not as precise but it's just more comfortable and natural for me. i did play through minervas den with the mouse on PC and didn't have a problem with it after a little bit of adjusting but i'll usually use the controller on PC games if it's an option. my console classlessness shines through again :(

Just keep playing with mouse and keyboard you'll get used to it eventually. I was the same but after just constant practise it becomes natural.

Grief.exe

Game desperately needs a save on quit, delete on load function. I'm totally fine with no manual saving, but the font for when the game autosaves is really tiny and it can be a pretty long time between checkpoints. Kept pausing and checking to see if I hit a checkpoint so that I could actually quit the game.

I kept doing this too at one point. I wanted to go make some lunch and I kept checking constantly.

There is some long stretches between checkpoints, they don't seem to put them in obvious places either...like before tough gun fights.

There's absolutely no question.

Bioshock's gunplay is terrible.

Bioshock Infinite's gunplay is some of the best I've played this generation.

I could agree with this.

I'm really liking how ADS isn't forced on me, I can just run and gun.

Headshots don't seem to kill enemies on hard either. Close range shotgun blasts are the only 1 hit kills I've seen so far

I've popped a couple enemies with one shot before, but it doesn't seem to always work. Way less work than 1999, where I'd just center-of-mass everybody because I didn't have time to think and wasn't sure it made a difference at first.

That said, the game does a really good job into tricking you to feel smart how they place enemies to make you want to use certain abilities. From the very beginning the combat feels really fresh and exciting.

Ferrio

Banned
So I took the plunge, thought I'd regret it.. so far enjoying myself more than the original. It certainly had a "Well that escalated quickly" moment...

Zeliard

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";51516126]It's hard to gauge the quality of the game with 1999 and I'm glad I dropped it because it instantly made more sense to me and became more fun.[/QUOTE]

I totally get what you mean. I was thinking that as well; since I have no real basis for comparison, 1999 mode is basically "the game" for me and may not necessarily be the best representation of it. But so far I find it fun and have yet to get frustrated. If it really does just get silly after a point, I won't mind restarting on Hard.

aett

I lucked out and only lost a minute. However, five minutes of playtime later and the game causes my PC to crash again. The image freezes and the sound becomes a horrible grinding noise, almost like a dialup modem. The only other game to cause this has been Skyrim, and only two times or so in 150+ hours of playing, not twice in one night. It's probably not the game's fault, but I wonder what could be wrong with my PC.

Edit: holy shit, it happened a third time.

phierce

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";51515604]Hard mode is better balanced for someone used to playing games. 1999 is all "headshots don't kill people cuz why not". It's not 1999 mode as in "old game hard", they just throw more enemies at you with higher health bars and better accuracy and punish you more for fucking up. I assumed it was closer to New Vegas' Hardcore mode where the style of game changes, but it didn't feel that way to me. It's not like you suddenly get a grid inventory or anything. It's a really bad idea for a first playthrough unless you really like dragging ass through a game. Hard mode tests you without being stupid. It feels right, and you can really enjoy the quality of the game. 1999 is kind of arbitrary, there's a disconnect between my expectation as a player and the actual challenge of a situation.[/QUOTE]
This may be the only post I've read that actually makes me a little sad about the game. My hype meter didn't go down or anything, but I'm picking it up in about 45 minutes and was so damn ready to dive right in to 1999 mode. After reading this, I guess I should do a playthrough on hard to make sure I get the absolute most from the game.

Thanks for the heads up!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
metacritic average for pc and 360 are currently sitting at 96 (pc based off 39 reviews)

Makes me wonder if it's realistic for it to jump to 97 and surpass Bioshock as the highest rated fps of all time?

They need to update the Steam store page with that 96.

taoofjord

I was loving the game up until I had to suddenly start shooting people non-stop and all sense of immersion disappeared and was replaced by a linear sub-par fps. What the hell? I avoided previews/trailers to keep things fresh but a linear shooter is not fresh. Does the game open-up and get back to a focus on exploration and atmosphere at some point or is this really what it is from here on out? I don't come to this kind of game for linear level design, so if this is what it has ended up as I'm extremely disappointed.

Volcynika

Playing on 1999 mode and just made it (early game area)
Monument Entrance
, not having too rough a time so far. Just got caught a couple times and killed ;_;

My Steam cheesemints are not unlocking though. It makes me sad. :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Sniper headshots should, for a lot of enemies. General headshots don't, yeah. I mean, it's still not trying to be a pure damage sim. And that's okay. You're supposed to have opponents that take a few shots even if you hit them in the head. Headshots do significantly more damage though, so it pays to aim.

megalowho

Put in a few hours with the PC version, just drinking in this crazy atmosphere.

God Only Knows barbershop quartet from a passing airship, oh lordy!

nbthedude

Here are my impressions after one hour. Be warned, they aren't as glowing as many of the reviews, so if you are just looking for a hype train ride, you might want to just skip this post.

Spoilers ahead, obviously, for the opening hour of the game...

Loved the open 15 minutes. The idea of exiting the baptismal waters into the glowing sun drenched world of Columbus is a fantastic and breath taking opening. I also loved the idea of blending the language of the "founding fathers" with religious language of "brothers" and "brotherhood" into a unified rhetoric. It's fascinating and well realized stuff.

But then you immediately start to notice how you are just going through a giant fun house, a fun house that likes to spout ideas and commentate at you, but a fun house none the less.

Non-player characters are stiff and will generally deliver their one or two line exchange with one another then stand there like mannequins. Doors and places that it appears that you can access everywhere, but as soon as you try, you are immediately reminded how on rails the experience is. Case in point. Early on I saw a ledge that was maybe 10 feet below me. So I jumped to it. Right before I hit what should have been the ground, I teleported magically back up to the ledge above. It all feels very fake in a way that the original Bioshock avoided by not trying to have a living city to begin with but smartly, instead, the aftermath of one. Similarly in Bioshock 1, it made sense when a crumbed pile stopped me from accessing an area because the world was literally falling apart. But here it is obvious there is often nothing stopping me from accessing a door or a ledge except for the fact that the designers decided I shouldn't be able to go there.

Then the combat started and the suspension of disbelief shot through the roof. I get the idea of a sudden violent scene when you first start mauling guarded faces with the skyhook. I understand that this intentionally over the top and shocking. But what took it to the level of absurd parody is that I didn't just carry out this violent act once or twice before being caught and carted away. No, instead, I paraded through the city like a mad man, murdering literally a hundred or so guards in the first half hour of the game alone. And every time you encounter a group of casual non-guard based NPC, they all suddenly become rambo-esque as well, immediately tearing after you with their pistols and machine guns. Apparently members of the weird KKK masonry cult all carry automatic weapons on them even during the ceremonies. Same for people that just happen to be hanging out drinking at a bar. This is a portrait of American gun usage that even Wayne LaPierre would not envision in his wettest of wet dreams.

And then the fight goes on and on and I continue entering new areas mowing down enemies with almost no commentary, except for a brief radio announcement that there is some mad man tearing through the city shooting everyone. A cheap trick that didn't really work the first time when Spec Ops tried it. Yes, I know I am being an immoral monster, videogame, you are forcing me to be. I tried just to run away and hide but you would not let me do it. Instead you insisted on throwing three or four other murder weapons at me in the next 10 minutes and encourage me to try them all out asap. It dawns on me that it is almost like I'm suddenly playing a different game than I was for the first 20 minutes with no explanation of why the entire game broke character and tone. One minute it's all Wizard of Oz, the next minute, Rambo. Again, they side stepped this problem somewhat in the original game by making the enemies splicers, people who seemingly had lost their minds along with their humanity long ago and were husks of their former selves.

And the more I think about it, the more I think that what they want to do here just simply doesn't work. It just shows how broken videogames are as a medium that we accept this type of tonal mishmash. If you went to see the latest Mission Impossible movie and it started pontificating to you about American Exceptionalism in between absurd action set pieces, you would wonder what the hell was going on. If a spy thriller suddenly trying to turn into a serious psychological drama it would be lambasted. Pulp fiction may have lower aspirations, but at least good pulp fiction is tonally consistent.

And here is the part where I alienate myself even further from the majority. I have been playing Resident Evil 6 co-op with my brothers over the past weekend since it was just released on PC. At least so far, I think mechanically and tonally, I prefer Resident Evil 6 to this game by a significant margin. I am going to tease out this comparison because I think it demonstrates some of the major issues I see developing with this game.

Mechanically speaking, I think I prefer RE6 because I enjoy picking my shots and waiting for the red laser sights to line up at that one right moment a lot more than circle strafing and throwing burst fire. Resident Evil's gunplay ever since 4 actually feels unique in sea of action games that all rely on the same skills we have become so accustomed to we can practice them without even thinking. Take cover to regen health, circle strafe around enemies, back pedal by firing. When I engage in the combat in Bioshock, I basically go on autopilot because it is the same kind of combat I have been conditioned to play in the same way for over a two decades.

Tonally, I prefer RE because it knows it is a big dumb roller coaster ride and it makes the most of it. When it has awkward animations like the thumbs up to your co-op partner it is carried out with intentional comic exaggeration that fits with the tone of the action itself. Call of Duty is banal, morally bankrupt and disgusting because it tries to maintain the guise of some sort of realism even playing off of real geopolitical and cultural tensions. Resident Evil 6 is Call of Duty mixed with Japanese anime. It's not trying to fool you with any notions of authenticity to anything. This is a game where soliders escape plan is to blow up a bus so that they can slide stylistically under it in mid air before it comes crashing to the ground. Yes, it's absolutely silly and absurd, but it knows what it is at all times and it is just trying to amuse you with its absurdity.

This is all subject to change. Again, an hour is basically no time at all spent with this game. But I am surprised by my own initial impression given that the original Bioshock was one of my favorite games this generation. But the setting of this new games seems to, by its very nature, introduce all kinds of problem of suspension of disbelief that I'm not sure they can properly deal with.

I was loving the game up until I had to suddenly start shooting people non-stop and all sense of immersion disappeared and was replaced by a linear sub-par fps. What the hell? I avoided previews/trailers to keep things fresh but a linear shooter is not fresh. Does the game open-up and get back to a focus on exploration and atmosphere at some point or is this really what it is from here on out? I don't come to this kind of game for linear level design, so if this is what it has ended up as I'm extremely disappointed.

Saying linear 3 times doesn't make it true. Even early on there are side areas with extra items and worldbuilding, and there's a ton of options in the combat from the get-go. Controlling people and turrets, creating traps at choke points, using elevation, stealth, etc all in the first encounter section.

aett

Anybody else crashing a lot? Played two hours, crashed twice...I dunno if it's my rig or if it's the game having stability issues..

See my post above. Crashed at 48 minutes, then eight minutes later, then five minutes or so after that. All of the crashes have been in the raffle square. Guess it's my sign to call it a night and rest up for work.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";51517056]Saying linear 3 times doesn't make it true. Even early on there are side areas with extra items and worldbuilding, and there's a ton of options in the combat from the get-go. Controlling people and turrets, creating traps at choke points, using elevation, stealth, etc all in the first encounter section.[/QUOTE]

Worth that 35$ from me then huh Beard?

GOTY

Am I the only one playing on normal difficulty? :p

I was for about 4 hours into the game, then decided to restart on hard. By the 4 hour mark, I'd upgraded guns like 6 times and upgraded 1 vigor, did not die once and had roughly $500 to spare. Felt that I really didn't have to use vigors to kill enemies, just needed to headshot with the carbine (all but the special enemies would die to headshots).

See my post above. Crashed at 48 minutes, then eight minutes later, then five minutes or so after that. All of the crashes have been in the raffle square. Guess it's my sign to call it a night and rest up for work.

I crashed twice...once at the beginning and then once during combat...The first time was odd as the sound completely cut out prior...

Wow, the gunplay in this game is really good. Like, REALLY FUCKING GOOD. I love how ADS is actually a tactical decision. It slows you down so much that you need to only use it in long range situations, otherwise it's better to fire from the hip. The pacing of bloom and firing shots works really well, and landing headshots feels really key.

I ended up going hard, and I'm glad I did, I'm dying a fair amount, and losing a ton of cash. We'll see how the balance feels, but right now it seems right.

taoofjord

Here are my impressions after one hour. Be warned, they aren't as glowing as many of the reviews, so if you are just looking for a hype train ride, you might want to just skip this post.

Loved the open 15 minutes. The idea of exiting the baptismal waters into the glowing sun drenched world of Columbus is a fantastic and breath taking opening. I also loved the idea of blending the language of the "founding fathers" with religious language of "brothers" and "brotherhood" into a unified rhetoric. It's fascinating and well realized stuff.

But then you immediately start to notice how you are just going through a giant fun house, a fun house that likes to spout ideas and commentate at you, but a fun house none the less.

Non-player characters are stiff and will generally deliver their one or two line exchange with one another then stand there like mannequins. Doors and places that it appears that you can access everywhere, but as soon as you try, you are immediately reminded how on rails the experience is. Case in point. Early on I saw a ledge that was maybe 10 feet below me. So I jumped to it. Right before I hit what should have been the ground, I teleported magically back up to the ledge above. It all feels very fake in a way that the original Bioshock avoided by not trying to have a living city to begin with but smartly, instead, the aftermath of one. Similarly in Bioshock 1, it made sense when a crumbed pile stopped me from accessing an area because the world was literally falling apart. But here it is obvious there is often nothing stopping me from accessing a door or a ledge except for the fact that the designers decided I shouldn't be able to go there.

Then the combat started and the suspension of disbelief shot through the roof. I get the idea of a sudden violent scene when you first start mauling guarded faces with the skyhook. I understand that this intentionally over the top and shocking. But what took it to the level of absurd parody is that I didn't just carry out this violent act once or twice before being caught and carted away. No, instead, I paraded through the city like a mad man, murdering literally a hundred or so guards in the first half hour of the game alone. And every time you encounter a group of casual non-guard based NPC, they all suddenly become rambo-esque as well, immediately tearing after you with their pistols and machine guns. Apparently members of the weird KKK masonry cult all carry automatic weapons on them even during the ceremonies. Same for people that just happen to be hanging out drinking at a bar.

And then the fight goes on and on. And I continue entering new areas mowing down enemies with almost no commentary, except for a brief radio announcement that there is some mad man tearing through the city shooting everyone. It's like I'm suddenly playing a different game than I was for the first 20 minutes with no explanation of why the entire game broke character and tone. One minute it's all Wizard of Oz, the next minute, Rambo.

And the more I think about it, the more I think that what they want to do here just simply doesn't work. It just shows how broken videogames are as a medium that we accept this type of tonal mishmash. If you went to see the latest Mission Impossible movie and it started pontificating to you about American Exceptionalism in between absurd action set pieces, you would wonder what the hell was going on. If a spy thriller suddenly trying to turn into a serious psychological drama it would be lambasted. Pulp fiction may have lower aspirations, but at least good pulp fiction is tonally consistent.

And here is the part where I alienate myself even further from the majority. I have been playing Resident Evil 6 co-op with my brothers over the past weekend since it was just released on PC. At least so far, I think mechanically and tonally, I prefer Resident Evil 6 to this game. Mechanically because I enjoy picking my shots and waiting for the red laser sights to line up at that one right moment a lot more than circle strafing and throwing burst fire. Tonally, because it knows it is a big dumb roller coaster ride and it makes the most of it. When it has awkward animations like the thumbs up to your co-op partner it just fits it is carried out with intentional comic exaggeration that fits with the tone of the action itself. Call of Duty is banal, morally bankrupt and disgusting because it tries to maintain the guise of some sort of realism. Resident Evil 6 is Call of Duty mixed with Japanese anime. It's not trying to fool you with any notions of authenticity to anything. This is a game where soliders escape plan is to blow up a bus so that they can slide stylistically under it in mid air before it comes crashing to the ground. Yes, it's absolutely silly and absurd, but it knows what it is at all times and it is just trying to amuse you with its absurdity.

This is all subject to change. Again, an hour is basically no time at all spent with this game. But I am surprised given that the original Bioshock was one of my favorite games this generation. But the setting of this new games seems to, by its very nature, introduce all kinds of problem of suspension of disbelief that I'm not sure they can properly deal with.

Absolutely couldn't agree with you more. The sad thing is this is when you realize what team made this happen.

But, hey, this game had a lot of funding, I shouldn't have expected it to be as niche as even System Shock 2.

It's so sad and frustrating to see developers hyping their game as something different but not having the strength of vision, ability, or freedom to go the entire way.

El_Chino

Then the combat started and the suspension of disbelief shot through the roof. I get the idea of a sudden violent scene when you first start mauling guarded faces with the skyhook. I understand that this intentionally over the top and shocking. But what took it to the level of absurd parody is that I didn't just carry out this violent act once or twice before being caught and carted away. No, instead, I paraded through the city like a mad man, murdering literally a hundred or so guards in the first half hour of the game alone. And every time you encounter a group of casual non-guard based NPC, they all suddenly become rambo-esque as well, immediately tearing after you with their pistols and machine guns. Apparently members of the weird KKK masonry cult all carry automatic weapons on them even during the ceremonies. Same for people that just happen to be hanging out drinking at a bar. This is a portrait of American gun usage that even Wayne LaPierra would not envision in his wettest of wet dreams.

And then the fight goes on and on and I continue entering new areas mowing down enemies with almost no commentary, except for a brief radio announcement that there is some mad man tearing through the city shooting everyone. A cheap trick that didn't really work the first time when Spec Ops tried it. Yes, I know I am being an immoral monster, videogame, you are forcing me to be. It dawns on me that it is almost like I'm suddenly playing a different game than I was for the first 20 minutes with no explanation of why the entire game broke character and tone. One minute it's all Wizard of Oz, the next minute, Rambo.

And here is the part where I alienate myself even further from the majority. I have been playing Resident Evil 6 co-op with my brothers over the past weekend since it was just released on PC. At least so far, I think mechanically and tonally, I prefer Resident Evil 6 to this game. Mechanically because I enjoy picking my shots and waiting for the red laser sights to line up at that one right moment a lot more than circle strafing and throwing burst fire. Tonally, because it knows it is a big dumb roller coaster ride and it makes the most of it. When it has awkward animations like the thumbs up to your co-op partner it just fits it is carried out with intentional comic exaggeration that fits with the tone of the action itself. Call of Duty is banal, morally bankrupt and disgusting because it tries to maintain the guise of some sort of realism. Resident Evil 6 is Call of Duty mixed with Japanese anime. It's not trying to fool you with any notions of authenticity to anything. This is a game where soliders escape plan is to blow up a bus so that they can slide stylistically under it in mid air before it comes crashing to the ground. Yes, it's absolutely silly and absurd, but it knows what it is at all times and it is just trying to amuse you with its absurdity.

This is all subject to change. Again, an hour is basically no time at all spent with this game. But I am surprised given that the original Bioshock was one of my favorite games this generation. But the setting of this new games seems to, by its very nature, introduce all kinds of problem of suspension of disbelief that I'm not sure they can properly deal with.

You seriously just said you would rather play RE6 than this? Wow.

Edit: You make good points but seriously, why compare RE6 to this?

KorrZ

This game is fanfuckingtastic. I've only played 2 hours so far, but my god is it engrossing. The world is so alive, the graphics on PC are incredible. The small bit of combat I've played felt great and responsive as well.

I was a little iffy about a full checkpoint only system but was delighted to find that when you exit the game it tells you the exact time your last autosave was, beauty!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
THIS GAME IS AWESOME.

the atmosphere and narrative is so engrossing i'm playing the game as if i were actually there.

Magnus

Jesus Christ @ the shock moments later on....I've jumped out of my seat a number of times...more than I did with RE5 anyway. lol

For those who've finished the game:

The fucking Warden's Office; turning around to the see that Deathcaller - Siphon, whatever the fuck it's called, just standing right behind me...Also, damn, the room full of presidents' heads was brutally unnerving.

taoofjord

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";51517056]Saying linear 3 times doesn't make it true. Even early on there are side areas with extra items and worldbuilding, and there's a ton of options in the combat from the get-go. Controlling people and turrets, creating traps at choke points, using elevation, stealth, etc all in the first encounter section.[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope it opens up but what I've seen so far are not the open, hub-like levels of Thief, System Shock, and Bioshock which are a major reason those games are so beloved.

Grief.exe

Headshots on hard seem to do more damage than body shots.

I'll make sure to pay more attention, but shotgun blast wreck at close range.

Top Bottom