• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just love how colourful and vibrant the world is.

bioshockinfinite2013-o7u3j.jpg

Wondering how far I am into the game, just
got knocked out by Elizabeth and met Daisy
Really enjoying the game so I'm in no real desire to rush it but just wondering for the sake of planning my school/work around it. The latter of course coming first :p

Alcander

Game is amazing so far. The first combat encounter was a little ham fisted in my opinion (and it did feel slightly 'off' after that for about 30 mins) but the atmosphere so far is absolutely sublime.

I adore games that have a "cold open" (or whatever you call an extended segment without combat at the beginning) and infinite delivered in spades. Bravo

GavinGT

Banned
Game is amazing so far. The first combat encounter was a little ham fisted in my opinion (and it did feel slightly 'off' after that for about 30 mins) but the atmosphere so far is absolutely sublime.

I adore games that have a "cold open" (or whatever you call an extended segment without combat at the beginning) and infinite delivered in spades. Bravo

This game has those segments in the middle too.

I should note that you're misusing the term "cold opening", as you suspected.

Really enjoying the game so I'm in no real desire to rush it but just wondering for the sake of planning my school/work around it. The latter of course coming first :p

1/3 or so.

DatDude

Banned

40% through I'd reckon.

Alcander

I should add that I'll find myself sitting at a railing in the game just gaping in awe at the hovering city... Seriously great stuff and truly rare in this medium.

You should check out the original PSX version of Dragon Quest VII. 3 hours before you reach the first battle. Before that, you're exploring ruins, solving puzzles and finding out the history of your home island. Great stuff. It's a shame they cut out the ruins for the 3DS version

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question about the first "choice"

I threw the baseball at the announcer and a policeman grabbed my hand and it poured me to combat and I died, what would have happened if I had thrown the baseball at the couple?

whitehawk

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";51515604]Hard mode is better balanced for someone used to playing games. 1999 is all "headshots don't kill people cuz why not". It's not 1999 mode as in "old game hard", they just throw more enemies at you with higher health bars and better accuracy and punish you more for fucking up. I assumed it was closer to New Vegas' Hardcore mode where the style of game changes, but it didn't feel that way to me. It's not like you suddenly get a grid inventory or anything. It's a really bad idea for a first playthrough unless you really like dragging ass through a game. Hard mode tests you without being stupid. It feels right, and you can really enjoy the quality of the game. 1999 is kind of arbitrary, there's a disconnect between my expectation as a player and the actual challenge of a situation.[/QUOTE]Where is this 1999 mode? Playing on the PS3 here and I didn't even see that option.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The game looks way too dark on the 360 version.

The game isn't supposed to look at that at all--at least judging by my PC copy atm.

It's way softer.

Here's a few more snaps, quoting for size.. they look about the same in most places, with 360 looking darker in some and PS3 looking whiter/brighter in some more.

Alcander

I threw the baseball at the announcer and a policeman grabbed my hand and it poured me to combat and I died, what would have happened if I had thrown the baseball at the couple?
Curious about this too. I'm sure 90% of players will follow your (our) path (though maybe without the dying ;)) but I'm curious to find out what would happen if you threw at the other people. I'm assuming just another way to dump you in combat?

Oh my god, I need a soundtrack compilation of all of the (minor music spoilers)
pop songs. I didn't realize that the music playing with Elizabeth on the beach was Girls Just Wanna Have Fun until like five minutes in.

I chose to
not throw the ball at all
and the same thing happened.

vazel

Banned
Where is this 1999 mode? Playing on the PS3 here and I didn't even see that option.
Enter the konami code at the main menu. Don't lose heart early on, it does take some getting used to. But if you play it smart you'll find 1999 mode rewarding. There's also more tension in certain scenes when you know shit is about to go down.

Yeah, it kinda came out of nowhere.
It was all peaceful and calm, then you're instantly shoving that grinder into a dude's face. Pretty jarring, but I have no doubt that was the point -- to make an impact.

Oh man, just finally got back in front of my computer after I let it sit and unlock a few hours ago. Windows auto updated and reinstalled in the middle and am getting "disk write error" in steam now when I try to restart the unlocking. Deleted and now redownloading. Yay.

True.

But you know, it might be a bit shocking, but it could also be because this game is actually pretty good as well. Blasphemy, I know :p

Well yeah, that's the exact line people used for Tomb Raider, too! :p

I'm sure it's pretty good, just will go down on people's personal expectations and whether they're ridiculously impressed like some reviews or just a little disappointed like the Gameological and Videogamer reviews.

Alcander

Yeah, it kinda came out of nowhere.
It was all peaceful and calm, then you're instantly shoving that grinder into a dude's face. Pretty jarring, but I have no doubt that was the point -- to make an impact.
Yeah. I feel like the natural reaction to a situation like that in a foreign place would be to *not*
gratuitously murder someone instantly
but I guess they had to get the action going eventually. I just wish it was a little more gradual.

Anson225

jesus christ the setting is simply amazing
one question about the first optional objective:
i found the key, but i didn't go back to the box from where i came, thinking that i will able to explore the city at will afterwards. now that i'm with elizabeth already, is it still possible to open that box?
thanks

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Mild music spoilers
Love how the carnival music was "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"..

Also love how I just came into a bar and "Tainted Love" is playing on the phonograph.

I watched the entirety of the
God Only Knows
performance. What a way to make a first impression.

Nicktock

Neo Member
Those hummingbirds were one of the most simple touches that made the environment so pleasant and beautiful. This game is pretty incredible so far.

GavinGT

Banned
jesus christ the setting is simply amazing
one question about the first optional objective:
i found the key, but i didn't go back to the box from where i came, thinking that i will able to explore the city at will afterwards. now that i'm with elizabeth already, is it still possible to open that box?
thanks

There are a handful of points of no return. You crossed one, unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure it was just a
health/shield/salt upgrade

Anson225

There are a handful of points of no return. You crossed one, unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure it was just a
health/shield/salt upgrade

goddamn it... oh well thanks!
and how come i can only switch between 2 powers using Q? thought it would cycle through all...

Bricky

I've played a few hours yesterday and just finished the
Battleship Beach-
part, and ho-ly cow this game is good. The opening sequence and the tutorial part of it were absolute pure genius, and the athmosphere, and the way the story unfolds, and the amazing music, and Elizabeth, and... and...

*Goes back to playing*

I've played a few hours yesterday and just finished the
Battleship Beach-
part, and ho-ly cow this game is good. The opening sequence and the tutorial part of it were absolute pure genius, and the athmosphere, and the way the story unfolds, and the amazing music, and Elizabeth, and... and...

*Goes back to playing*

By the end you will be left breathless.

raviolico

please help: is the PSN digital copy multilingual? It´s up here in Germany (6,4G) but i want to be sure that i can play and hear it in english....

FINALBOSS

Banned
goddamn it... oh well thanks!
and how come i can only switch between 2 powers using Q? thought it would cycle through all...

You gotta use the pop-up menu for that...I too thought it'd cycle through all but I can see why they did it this way. It'd be annoying having to cycle through 8 powers just to get back to the last one you used. This way you got 2 you use as your main and bring up the pop-up for powers you use rarely or only in certain situations.

Top Bottom