• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Here's a few more snaps, quoting for size.. they look about the same in most places, with 360 looking darker in some and PS3 looking whiter/brighter in some more.

It's a pointless comparison as the person hasn't even calibrated the capture setting for the PS3, it's over exposed and probably on limited Hdmi.

look at the teeth:

k021XXf.jpg

XMB PS3 screenshot
bioshockinfinite_15qdeyb.png

I'm only on monument island, is the entire game this linear? The linearity, non-stop combat, and overall pacing of it are not thrilling me so far.

I started this last night and I am loving it so far. I have it on PS3 and think it looks excellent, it is first game in a while where I have been compelled to comb the environment and explore as much as I can. I love it that it has a compass that I can click to show which direction takes me to the objective, then I can deliberately go in the other direction to make sure I have checked everywhere.

Here's a few more snaps, quoting for size.. they look about the same in most places, with 360 looking darker in some and PS3 looking whiter/brighter in some more.

Sorry, but that's not how it looks on PS3.. And i wouldn't care what version would be better since i could buy the game on both consoles. But it looks like the screenshot above from Wax Free Vanilla.
Game looks amazing in motion.

Lingitiz

I'm only on monument island, is the entire game this linear? The linearity, non-stop combat, and overall pacing of it are not thrilling me so far.

It opens up slightly with some optional stuff, but it doesn't really have the same design as System Shock 2 or Bioshock 1 in terms of level design. There's quite a bit of combat, but the big open sections with ships all around and rail lines are pretty amazing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's a pointless comparison as the person hasn't even calibrated the capture setting for the PS3, it's over exposed and probably on limited Hdmi.

look at the teeth:

XMB PS3 screenshot
http://www.abload.de/img/bioshockinfinite_15qdeyb.png[img][/QUOTE]

Yep that looks much better than the video.
Anyone got any similar direct-feed shots from the 360 version ?

Good gravy, whoever was in charge of picking the music in this game deserves a medal. (music spoilers for Hall of Heroes)
First time I've heard anyone acknowledge anything other than goddamn Dies Irae from Mozart's Requiem for a game/movie that wasn't Amadeus.
Perf.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is there anyway to get subtitles for the voxaphones/audio files? I remember you could on Bioshock.

I have subtitles turned on and I see subtitles for the voxaphones. At least I think I do it has been a good 20 minutes since I last played the game though.

noffles

Banned
Curious about this too. I'm sure 90% of players will follow your (our) path (though maybe without the dying ;)) but I'm curious to find out what would happen if you threw at the other people. I'm assuming just another way to dump you in combat?

The couple will appear later on and thank you with some gear. Other than that, I'm not sure what happens.

Good gravy, whoever was in charge of picking the music in this game deserves a medal. (music spoilers for Hall of Heroes)
First time I've heard anyone acknowledge anything other than goddamn Dies Irae from Mozart's Requiem for a game/movie that wasn't Amadeus.
Perf.

I noticed this too. So good.

Did I miss something during the (first boss/whatever spoiler)
Slate
fight, or is it a bit... rushed?

So you fight his waves of dudes, then chase him while he shoots electricity at you, then... you go through the doors and he's death-rattling on the ground? Is the implication supposed to be that the vigors took their toll on him, or was there supposed to be a bit of a boss fight?

Hasney

I've played for 4 hours, taking my time to explore every little piece of the game and just soak it in, so I'm just out of the Hall of Heroes, but I'm sitting here at work thinking about it and just waiting until I'm done so I can play some more.

I can't remember the last time that happened. I cannot wait to get home.

Super excited my newegg order will be at my door tonight. Not usual for newegg to get me games on release day but I need to give them kudos for this one.

ekim

I've played for 4 hours, taking my time to explore every little piece of the game and just soak it in, so I'm just out of the Hall of Heroes, but I'm sitting here at work thinking about it and just waiting until I'm done so I can play some more.

I can't remember the last time that happened. I cannot wait to get home.

You're now at the same point in the game as I - one question :
Why did Slate work against me? We both have the same enemy (Comstock). And his Soldiers - they looked like the ones of Comstock. I also really didn't get the historical part of the whole level. :(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
One thing I don't like regarding console controls, is that there's only one dedicated button for shooting vigors. Vigor combo's are awesome, but it's a shame you have to switch your active vigor mid combination... Another reason to play the pc version down the line I guess.

There's one vigor upgrade I'm in love with, the
murder of crows 'trap on victim death' one. You start a chain reaction and before you know it, there are crows everywhere.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Wow, only one save slot on PC is fucking unacceptable. I want to replay the game but can't, cause i don't want to lose my other save file.

What the hell IG seriously...

lucius

Anyone using PS Move? Any good?

Yeah I tried it with Move after playing with the dual shock for a while, had to goto options and pick custom and tune my liking, the default setting like in Infamous2 I thought was too fast and erratic, turned down sensitivity and turn speed and adjusted a couple other things. Took me a bit to get use to it with twist being melee but now it's easy to play with it. I plan on doing a full run through with the dual shock then with Move, really is just a bonus for multiple playthroughs.

Really like the gunplay in this than past, just feels better. Don't have much problem with the AI, I mean they are not Tomb Raider dumb, and Hard is actually a good challenge.

Ricker

Just launched the game on Steam and clicked the benchmark thing and now its downloading something huge it seems...anyway,you guys playing with M/K or using a controller?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just launched the game on Steam and clicked the benchmark thing and now its downloading something huge it seems...anyway,you guys playing with M/K or using a controller?

Of course M/K

RoyalFool

Banned
I was quite skeptical about this, I loved Bioshock 1 mostly for the setting - I think I scoured every nook and cranny, looked at every art deco poster really just played it as a way of soaking up the environment and the story.

So it's hard to believe they've made something just as jaw dropping and awe inspiring despite it being so aesthetically different. I loved the dripping destroyed art-deco of Rapture - I think everyone did, yet Irrational had the balls replace the wet darkness with blue skies and heaven rays and the crazy sods pulled it off just as well.

Moving from underwater to the sky is utter genius, because the feeling it invokes is extremely different but yet on a gameplay level they can rely on the same crutches as they did within Rapture. The empty vastness of sky encloses the player on the linear story path just as well as the ocean did. The shifting buildings are essentially the same as the pipes that flood with water. Yet that sense of forbidding, the pressure of the ocean just on the other side of the glass - has been completely replaced with a feeling of freedom.

It's the best designed game I've played since Bioshock, just hope it doesn't take them so long to make the next one!

Ricker

I want to enjoy the game with mouse and keyboard but the mouse acceleration is annoying me.

I read the PC gamer suggestion article that says to put the game on hard and they have other settings...I think I saw that you can turn Mouse acceleration off and they suggest it also...?

I'm really liking this game so far. I was going to try and ignore it, but the pull of a shiny new thing was too strong (not to mention the crazy deals the PC version was getting). The only Bioshock I'd played was Minerva's Den, which was a bad place to start. It crammed the usual Bioshock learning curve into about ninety minutes so, while I'm sure seasoned vets loved it, I was totally overwhelmed after about five minutes and stayed that way right up until the end.

Infinite, on the other hand, has been kind to me so far, and with much more enjoyable combat. My Minerva's Den experience was a whole lot of juggling between eight identical-looking weapons, each with three different ammo types that were constantly running out, while a dozen enemies ran right up into my face and stayed there, gesticulating wildly. I feel much more in control in Infinite, and when it really gets going with Elizabeth's abilities and the Skylines it's absolutely amazing.

I'm about six hours in, just reached
Shanty Town
, and so far I think it's great.

Played a few hours more, just got a vigor,
the shock one
. Getting a hold of 1999 mode, I've only died a few times, and I'm beginning to improve the weapons, mainly the machinegun and the carbine. Amazing atmosphere and very decent gunplay..

This game can be pretty..awkward. It says not every encounter has to be a fight, and the only way to tell is to stroll up to someone and see if they start attacking or not. Which leads to every enemy in the area turning around at you awkwardly for a second and then attacking. And the AI is..not great.

While not every encounter us like this, I sort of disagree [OPTIONAL AREA FOUR HOURS OR SO IN]
I broke into a house and slinked around and listened to a police sketch artist talk to a woman for a while and then left. You can avoid combat and reap certain rewards, narratively.

Top Bottom