• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Chairhome

I don't have this yet, but I should at least play BS1 before playing this, right? All the great things I'm hearing make me want to play this. But I'm going to have to wait a bit.

Magnus

It looks great on PC come and join us ;)

My 2008 PC would probably cry at the specs required. =/

I'm glad the game's being done serious visual justice on the PC though. Certainly the version I'll pick up and keep one day!

For reference, were the PC versions of Bioshock and Bioshock 2 rather definitive as well, visually speaking?

Derrick01

Banned
you're on a 470 and maxing out here? Wow, nice.

I thought I had to purchase an HD Radeon 7870 to get max settings 'cause canyourunit had me at mid recommended and Tomb Raider ran like shit on my HD Radeon 5870...

Seems this page is free of pictures but

*runs quickly back out of topic*

No no I'm not really close to maxing it. Most settings go to very high and some of the settings at the bottom (AO and all that stuff) goes from normal to high, maybe very high too. DX11 stuff will cripple my framerate if I turn it on but I'm going to see if I can turn some of it to high and see what will happen. I have the traditional settings all jacked to high or very high though.

edit: Not surprised to read the stuff about 1999 mode overnight. I tried to tell you guys it never works out right with "hardcore" modes.

My 2008 PC would probably cry at the specs required. =/

I'm glad the game's being done serious visual justice on the PC though. Certainly the version I'll pick up and keep one day!

For reference, were the PC versions of Bioshock and Bioshock 2 rather definitive as well, visually speaking?

Not really from what I have seen, though I only played Bioshock 1 a few weeks ago.

Double D

This game is incredible. I've never just farted around in a FPS like I have in the firs 4 hours or so I've played so far. It's a weird feeling I get in most FPS games when your gun automatically gets holstered or gets pulled out. I'm either thinking, 'Oh, here comes some boring stuff", or, "Shit, I don't really want to have to trudge through more enemies". In this game I'm excited to do either.

And goddamn, the atmosphere. I was a bit worried about how the atmosphere would be handled. With Bioshock 1, I would just looks at screenshots of Rapture and the Big Daddies walking around with Little Sisters and know it was a world I couldn't wait to delve into. Sure the flying city in Infinite looked neat, but I didn't think they'd be able to capture that same feeling each time you entered a new area. I was wrong, and the world is a better place because of it.

noffles

Banned
Another city, in another era (far more modern day, perhaps?), running away from that era's version of America and crafting its own jingoistic Americanism appropriate to the time.

I make it sound mundane, but damn, I mean quite the opposite. Tons of potential.

I'm not sure I want another Bioshock game, to be honest. Part of me feels like people will just end up holding Infinite or the original game up to it and scrutinising it based on what came before. I felt like I was sort of doing the same with Infinite until I met Elizabeth and it changed the game for me.

I'm definitely open to it if Kenny-kins wants to make it though.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This game is incredible. I've never just farted around in a FPS like I have in the firs 4 hours or so I've played so far. It's a weird feeling I get in most FPS games when your gun automatically gets holstered or gets pulled out. I'm either thinking, 'Oh, here comes some boring stuff", or, "Shit, I don't really want to have to trudge through more enemies". In this game I'm excited to do either.

And goddamn, the atmosphere. I was a bit worried about how the atmosphere would be handled. With Bioshock 1, I would just looks at screenshots of Rapture and the Big Daddies walking around with Little Sisters and know it was a world I couldn't wait to delve into. Sure the flying city in Infinite looked neat, but I didn't think they'd be able to capture that same feeling each time you entered a new area. I was wrong, and the world is a better place because of it.

It's also great that they didn't try to make a Rapture 2 like they wanted before. Glad they changed their mind.

Type422

Neo Member
Stupid question: How are the textures in 15 gig of the base game? My internet is kinda slow and I'm too hyped to download another 15 gig of the highres textures xD

Another city, in another era (far more modern day, perhaps?), running away from that era's version of America and crafting its own jingoistic Americanism appropriate to the time.

I make it sound mundane, but damn, I mean quite the opposite. Tons of potential.

A bio-dome in the African savannah where the brothers and some Irish dudes have created a utopian society off the back of the enslavement of the white man in retribution for this game.

Bioshock: Infinite Revengeance

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What do you think of Infinite so far?

Excellent, so far. BioShock is one of those weird games that I did mostly really enjoy, but soured on when I tried to replay it, and reflect upon the original experience. For me BioShock is a good example where the sum total of parts, all the components working together, make for a memorable experience. But when you dissect those components, and in particular remove the strongest part (world vision and narrative), it all begins to fall apart. That I could never shake the "this is a poor man's System Shock with few strengths of its own" feeling.

Infinite, so far, feels far more realised in gameplay vision. At the forefront of this is the combat, which in terms of hit feedback and precision, encounter design, and power function, seems a lot smarter and more focused on actually being a fun game to play. Especially as run-and-gun. On hard, I really do feel every single power is useful, and in function far more realised than the weird contextual mess of BioShock's.

On a couple of occasions the progression has drawn to a weirdly slow pace, but I put that down to my extremely slow, "search every corner and take in the whole world" play style. And it's only happened a couple of times. Otherwise the narrative has this excellent quality of driving you from each encounter and set piece to contextual event with a cheeky little tease or hook that keeps the story interesting. I'm still not quite sure what's going on. And just when I think I'm getting my head around things, some little thing happens that teases more to come. It keeps me interested and that's really important.

Visuals, audio, animation, and overall production need no analysis. It's funny, really. As much as BioShock soured for me over the years, the very second I started playing Infinite I was instantly reminded of that first feeling BioShock gave, and continued to give throughout the opening. Irrational know cohesive world vision between all production departments better than almost anyone. And that almost group is simply on par.

I've just entered
Finkton
, so please bear that in mind with any forthcoming responses. The game is superb, as expected, but I have one little niggling issue that I'd like to throw out there:

Does anyone else feel that there's quite a bit of dissonance between what Booker does and Columbia's reaction to it all? I mean,
Booker's an outsider that has basically defied an entire nation and its leader by illegally releasing a captive, yet so much of his and Elizabeth's time is spent casually strolling about with not a care/threat in the world. I'd assumed that the entirety of Columbia would have been all up in Booker's butthole after nabbing Elizabeth, but I'm really not getting that impression at all and it feels a bit strange.

I kid you not when I say that I actually thought Booker was in a dream-state for a good 15 minutes after waking on the beach following the first Songbird encounter. Everything just seemed way too peachy. It's as if Columbia is letting - nay - wanting him to do all of this; and yes, I'm aware that I'm treading dangerous territory here, as all of this may be for the sake of the narrative in the end, so I'll shut up now.

That being said, the way the structure of the game is handled feels so fresh - and at the same time, I'm not even sure if it is! It's bizarre and amazing all at once. Everything feels totally organic, as if it's all running in the background even when you're not there. And so much of this owes itself to the quieter moments, so I guess I should take the bad with the good, hey?

Anyway! Just my two cents. Everything else is seriously great. It's all so different and unique. And bravo, Irrational, for crafting some seriously decent shooting mechanics! Dat carbine. DMR who?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Whoever was in charge of the onboarding in this game deserves some serious praise. Spoilering for the first hour, just out of a little respect for others:
Infinite's onboarding section is absolutely perfect - the depth is there for those that want to learn or aren't familiar with FPSes (and that's very few people) - it isn't forced, there's real benefits to doing it if you like, and you can retry what you want.

General 1st-2nd hour thoughts I had this morning after waking up and driving to work:
It's really well done how they balance the utopia feel of the game and then quickly and easily give you reason kill others - by giving you the option to throw the ball at an interracial couple, that doesn't make you feel guilty at all when you jam the skyhook in those officers' faces and start your rampage. It was jarring, because you saw none of it, but when they introduced that moment and you said to yourself "oh wow THIS is wrong" and they hadn't really strongly alluded to that earlier aside from the whiteys you see in the beginning, it really switches how you feel about where you are without compromising any of the first hour that you played. You still get the payoffs of the leadup to the baseball incident without spoiling it for the future.

I have a lot more to say but...maybe another time.

Magnus

Excellent, so far. BioShock is one of those weird games that I did mostly really enjoy, but soured on when I tried to replay it, and reflect upon the original experience. For me BioShock is a good example where the sum total of parts, all the components working together, make for a memorable experience. But when you dissect those components, and in particular remove the strongest part (world vision and narrative), it all begins to fall apart. That I could never shake the "this is a poor man's System Shock with few strengths of its own" feeling.

Infinite, so far, feels far more realised in gameplay vision. At the forefront of this is the combat, which in terms of hit feedback and precision, encounter design, and power function, seems a lot smarter and more focused on actually being a fun game to play. Especially as run-and-gun. On hard, I really do feel every single power is useful, and in function far more realised than the weird contextual mess of BioShock's.

On a couple of occasions the progression has drawn to a weirdly slow pace, but I put that down to my extremely slow, "search every corner and take in the whole world" play style. And it's only happened a couple of times. Otherwise the narrative has this excellent quality of driving you from each encounter and set piece to contextual event with a cheeky little tease or hook that keeps the story interesting. I'm still not quite sure what's going on. And just when I think I'm getting my head around things, some little thing happens that teases more to come. It keeps me interested and that's really important.

Visuals, audio, animation, and overall production need no analysis. It's funny, really. As much as BioShock soured for me over the years, the very second I started playing Infinite I was instantly reminded of that first feeling BioShock gave, and continued to give throughout the opening. Irrational know cohesive world vision between all production departments better than almost anyone. And that almost group is simply on par.

Absolutely agreed.

Is this up on PSN or do I have to wait until Grace Chen time?

Also, my Amazon order won't be here today.

Am I a crazy person if I just download it and return my Amazon order?

Magnus

Can shooter fans educate me, as the occasional player of shooters -- I'm seeing lots of people praising Infinite's shooting mechanics, whereas, I've always found Bioshock/Infinite's gunplay floaty and lacking punch (as much as I love the games otherwise).

What's exceptional about it? I want to learn what to appreciate.

Does anyone upgrade anything outside of salts? I just can't see a reason to choose anything else.

For those of us who suck, upgrading the shield/health is kind of important. =/ I've been upgrading them roughly evenly, though yeah, favoring Salts more than anything.

My daughter is huge fan of Tangled, Disney's take on the Rapunzel fable, so I'm quite familiar with the story. This game might also be based on the story of Rapunzel.

Very solid, and based on a rough scan of this thread, the better of the two for IQ and framerate stability. Plus, Move support (decent) if that's your thing, and a free copy of the original Bioshock included (unsure if it's on disc or downloadable, but it shows up on the XMB right underneath Bioshock 2 in the Game Menu, albeit with a different icon).

Pretty great. One of the most beautiful games.

Thanks, thats all I wanted to know.

ced

My daughter is huge fan of Tangled, Disney's take on the Rapunzel fable, so I'm quite familiar with the story. This game might also be based on the story of Rapunzel.

After watching Tangled many times recently with my daughter I thought the same exact thing.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time

I don't think so. The similarities with Rapunzel end in that there is a girl held in a tower.

Keep playing and you'll see it goes in a totally different direction

Magnus

Sorry everyone, I have been on a complete blackout about this game:

How is the PS3 version?

Very solid, and based on a rough scan of this thread, the better of the two for IQ and framerate stability. Plus, Move support (decent) if that's your thing, and a free copy of the original Bioshock included (unsure if it's on disc or downloadable, but it shows up on the XMB right underneath Bioshock 2 in the Game Menu, albeit with a different icon).

The worst thing I've encountered, is late in the game, with the game pausing mid-action to load for around a full second. It's never happened mid-battle, just as I've been moving around a corner or something to a more expansive part of a particular area. It's a little annoying, but nothing awful.

The audio is absolutely stellar, best I've encountered in a game. Textures and NPC character models (outside main characters) are mostly awful, but that's not a surprise.

Wtf, has anyone had the issue where it freezes at the loading screen right when you start the game?

I know im late to this, but the first load screen (the one with bioshok infinite logo) loaded badly (music was sounding at intervals) and after 4 minutes on the same loading screen it blocked the whole computer.
I tried the benchmark utility before that and worked fine, so as I was making steam screenshots of the menu, and the loading screen had the little steam window with the screenshot blocked, I supposed that was the cause (steam seems to not like very much doing that while loading , happened something similar the other day while playing XCOM).

I restarted the computer, tried again and worked as charm with only a 10 seconds loading screen.

Thanks for the summary. Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Can't wait to get some time to play it tomorrow night.

Double D

Yep. Salts and Shield, yo. My salts are one ahead; I don't think I've even touched the Health. Hmm... Maybe once.

I'm doing the same exact thing. Default salt meter pretty much made using Vigors in combat a bit useless, but once you can use them more than once things get a lot more varied and fun.

I'm not really picky either. Bioshock 1 for PS3 was a very solid port imo. I could play this on my PC but I just feel like playing it on PS3, dunno why (trophies maybe? :3).

Magnus

OriginofHysteria said:
Wtf, has anyone had the issue where it freezes at the loading screen right when you start the game?

Actually, I totally forgot about this, but with the PS3 version, the very first time I started it up, I got a solid black screen with no audio after the 2K Logo. Freaked me out! Locked up the console (couldn't pull up the XMB) and did a hard reset. Hasn't done it since.

Anno

Put in two hours before getting some sleep. Game is gorgeous and just packed with minutia that I live exploring and listening to. Combat is solid as well. Most impressive thing so far? Gun sounds. Pistol and the machine gun sound amazing.

I'm not really picky either. Bioshock 1 for PS3 was a very solid port imo. I could play this on my PC but I just feel like playing it on PS3, dunno why (trophies maybe? :3).
It wasn't that great of a port actually. But Bioshock Infinite is a leap beyond that. Much better image quality, better aa and steady framerate from the looks of it. It does have screentearing though.

Having said that, the pc version is probably the best version.

Magnus

Can I just say how awesome Gear is? Great idea. Kind of obvious, but a great idea.

I kind of wish I could create presets (a set for Skyline-intensive areas, a melee-favored set, etc.)

I've come so close to missing some great pieces, despite doing deep exploring of each room I find. My eyes were probably tired; glad I ended up revisiting those rooms (either via plot or on my own to go find old locks to pick or something)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How do you feel about NPCs not reacting to your drawn weapon later on?

I did wonder about that in some instances as well as pilfering behind a bar where someone worked. But you can't have it both ways, I suppose.

aravuus

I'm very much a console player but here I'm going to interrupt you and tell you to play it on PC. It's absolutely gorgeous. Ridiculously beautiful.

Playing on ps3. Put in an hour and half last night. Spent an hour just exploring the opening level.. Incredible. For me it's the greatest opening to game I have experienced. The art direction and audio is amazing and the moment I had my first fight I was suddenly reminded I was playing a fps.. Simply stunning.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How do you feel about NPCs not reacting to your drawn weapon later on?

A little bit weird I guess. But I also think, being an Australian looking from the outside in to American culture, I kind of just took that as an embodiment of the Americana right to bear arms. That people do have guns, in their stores and around, and it's not that big of a deal for someone to be walking around with one. That's the mental leap of faith I make, anywho.

It wasn't that great of a port actually. But Bioshock Infinite is a leap beyond that. Much better image quality, better aa and steady framerate from the looks of it. It does have screentearing though.

Having said that, the pc version is probably the best version.

Perhaps what I meant to say is it was a very solid port at the time. It was right when developers started to pay PS3 some more attention and Bioshock was very good port compared to some garbage out there.

Trickster

Is there anyway to hide the HUD when I'm not in combat, or something like that? Kind of a shame to have a hud breaking immersion when I'm just looking around and taking in the view.

MattyH

had an email earlier saying my rewards for industrial revolution were ready and to log in to get them but i cant see them on the site

Zia

Unless things unravel later on, if Last of Us is to redefine storytelling in games it now has a very high mark that it needs to eclipse. To paraphrase what I said last night, this is the most aesthetically and thematically sophisticated game ever sold in a box. And, unlike something like Spec Ops: The Line, it's as playable and enjoyable as a Nintendo game. I've been expecting to enjoy it and it's still managed to take my breath away. Can't heap enough praise upon it.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Unless things unravel later on, if Last of Us is to redefine storytelling in games it now has a very high mark that it needs to eclipse. To paraphrase what I said last night, this is the most aesthetically and thematically sophisticated game ever sold in a box. And, unlike something like Spec Ops: The Line, it's as playable and enjoyable as a Nintendo game. I've been expecting to enjoy it and it's still managed to take my breath away. Can't heap enough praise upon it.

I thought the new Last of Us gameplay from the weekend didn't look too hot compared to the videos we've seen. And yeah, totally agree on everything else.

Top Bottom