• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Shane86

Apparently I was supposed to get a crow attack vigor after fighting one of the bosses, but it didn't appear for me. Really don't want to start over.

VALIS

Just launched the game on Steam and clicked the benchmark thing and now its downloading something huge it seems...anyway,you guys playing with M/K or using a controller?

Both! KB/M on my desktop and 360 controller on my laptop. With aim assist off and the look speed to 0, the controller isn't too bad. Prefer the kb/m, though.

I was thinking this game kinda feels a bit like North by Northwest, it's the closest analogy I can see to a film. Anyone have any thoughts?]
nb. I haven't finished it yet so I'm not making any statements about the ending.
Then why is the game 17GB on my pc when it says recommended 30GB on the steam page?
Becuase you need 30gb to unpack the pre-load, and install the game before it frees up the pre-load space. I know 'cause I got burned uninstalling basically all my games to do so. I went from having 2gb free at install time to having 18gb free.

angelfly

Decided to quit 1999 mode. Started a new game on hard (was only about 2 hours in). The difference is night and day in terms of fun I'm having. 1999 will be for a second playthrough.

Hasney

You're now at the same point in the game as I - one question :
Why did Slate work against me? We both have the same enemy (Comstock). And his Soldiers - they looked like the ones of Comstock. I also really didn't get the historical part of the whole level. :(

They way I read it with all the dialogue going on was that
Comstock had taken everything from Slate and his men. The glory of the battlefield victories were all due to Comstock in his revisionist history, but the one thing that he couldn't be denied was a soldiers death for him (Slate) and his men at the hands of a real soldier (Booker) and not a tin soldier like Comstock

dan2026

Ugh have just got into the first wave of fighting on the 360 and I feel the slightly less than perfect framerate is making aiming difficult.

Not having bags of fun at the moment.

Ok, I had to step away after the first 90 minutes. There was so much to take in and acclimatize too. It's absolutely amazing so far, of course. Columbia is pretty spectacular. And I haven't even met Elizabeth yet.

At the moment the game seems heavily focused on the religious themes, but I imagine it will branch out later. Religious wackos everywhere. It seems like a bad time to thank God for Irrational Games.

BraXzy

When I try and benchmark it says my computer cannot run the 1920x1200 test so it failed, how do i change it to my resolution of 1920 x 1080?

People have talked about it on previous pages back.

30GB free space is reserved for future DLC contents which make sense.
No it doesn't really make sense given that they're probably reusing most of the same assets in DLC. And they're currently building it. They have no idea how big the DLC will be and probably updating a Steam page is trivial. Plus they'd be working under the assumption that every single person will buy the DLC.

lucius

So, I just bought the PS3 Download version from PSN.

Do I get the original Bioshock? I guess I'll find out soon enough...

Yeah but I would just pause that Bioshock 1 download since it is twice the size of Infinite at 12 GB must be dummy files on it or something. Just DL Infinite and the extras so you can install it an play faster since installing with background downloading on PS3 is a mess. I timed my Infinite DL took 28 mins and 17 mins to install.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Not it doesn't reall make sense given that they're probably reusing most of the same assets in DLC. And they're currently building it. They have no idea how big the DLC will be and probably updating a Steam page is trivial. Plus they'd be working under the assumption that every single person will buy the DLC.

Oh you guize. Have you ever looked at the recommended specs for a PC game before? The space is always astronomical. It's tradition. People have this argument every single time a new game releases.

Magnus

I'm about 8-10 hours in. Feels like I'm approaching the third act. I'm not sure if I should be excited, or bummed that it's almost over.

I die a lot on normal. Fuck, I'm terrible at shooters...lol. I can't imagine what some of these endgame battles look like on Hard or 1999. I was occasionally respawning in the middle of the horde of enemies that killed me and was wiped out again in roughly 3 seconds. On Normal!

Can't believe I've had this since Friday and haven't played more....

And can't wait till class is up to finish this tonight!

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
The ending itself is the best part of this game but the endgame is still the worst. I don't really think they've improved that aspect from Bioshock. I was getting amazingly pissed off at some of the fights at the end. So much running around places you've already been and repetitive battles too. Honestly I was relieved by the time I reached the ending, which shouldn't be the case.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Damn we're back at 96 on metacritic

2013-03-2613_43_09-bi73f8i.png

for the record.

2013-03-2613_44_13-bip6e8b.png

Willectro

Banned
You are in for a treat my friend. Haven't looked back since

Yea I can't wait. I have a PC that is just capable of running SC2, which has been fine up until now. I think I'll wait until the 4770k (still gotta do some research though).

Amazon is always the answer. Brick and mortar stores are mostly trash these days.

I still think you are rolling the dice with Amazon. Every major release I see people complaining about shipping from various online retailers. I guess the flip side is that you could potentially get the game earlier and in some cases cheaper.

I feel for you, but I felt that this was appropriate for the situation. One of my favorite scenes.

Exactly how I feel.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BioShock is at least a good 16 points too high, so it's okay.

ced

The ending itself is the best part of this game but the endgame is still the worst. I don't really think they've improved that aspect from Bioshock. I was getting amazingly pissed off at some of the fights at the end. So much running around places you've already been and repetitive battles too. Honestly I was relieved by the time I reached the ending, which shouldn't be the case.

Sounds like 90% of games, they all go shit at the end.

Got a chance to play this for a few hours last night. Absolutely amazing how much detail and life there is in the city before shit went south. I spent an hour soaking everything in and checking every corner. Seeing Columbia for the first time gave me that feeling of seeing Rapture for the first time. I can't wait to play more after work.

I'm going to be starting this on PC in a few hours. Just wondering, is anyone playing it on Hard and how hard is it?

I do have plenty of shooter experience...so I am thinking of going Hard, just don't want it to be unfair levels of hard.

BearPawB

Banned
Decided to quit 1999 mode. Started a new game on hard (was only about 2 hours in). The difference is night and day in terms of fun I'm having. 1999 will be for a second playthrough.

Hey maybe that's why they have it as an unlock after your first play through.....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm going to be starting this on PC in a few hours. Just wondering, is anyone playing it on Hard and how hard is it?

I do have plenty of shooter experience...so I am thinking of going Hard, just don't want it to be unfair levels of hard.

I'm a few hours in on hard, and I'm finding it a very satisfying difficulty level. This is in part to the combat being actually good this time around, with a smarter power design and more satisfying shots. It's got an excellent run-and-gun quality about it, where you don't need to use iron sights even with highly accurate rifles, and enemies take just the right amount of shots that you can't sit back and cheese them with instant kill headshots, but also don't feel like bullet sponges. You're pressured to use your power, move between cover, and shoot smart. But not tediously so, in my opinion.

Hard is gud.

Vol5

I can totally understand why certain devs left Infinite. It looks like a total pain in the ass to create.

But, wow, seriously. Next-gen is here and it's name is Bioshock Infinite.

I went straight to hard. It's very satisfying gunplay especially after a few weapon and vigor upgrades.

Magnus

I still think you are rolling the dice with Amazon. Every major release I see people complaining about shipping from various online retailers. I guess the flip side is that you could potentially get the game earlier and in some cases cheaper.

Always rolling the dice purchasing online. I see a ton of complaining and agonizing on here about delayed/missing shipments from practically every online retailer. Most complaints about brick/mortar on here are just about customer service/lack thereof, but not a game being late or missing (it happens, though).

Nothing quite as safe as taking a short trip to get the game yourself and do away with all the risks/costs of shipping.

Finished it last night. I'm very very overwhelmed right now, and I think this is the first game I'ver ever played where I've started all over again the next day. Time to go through it on Hard.

I'm a few hours in on hard, and I'm finding it a very satisfying difficulty level. This is in part to the combat being actually good this time around, with a smarter power design and more satisfying shots. It's got an excellent run-and-gun quality about it, where you don't need to use iron sights even with highly accurate rifles, and enemies take just the right amount of shots that you can't sit back and cheese them with instant kill headshots, but also don't feel like bullet sponges. You're pressured to use your power, move between cover, and shoot smart. But not tediously so, in my opinion.

Hard is gud.

That sounds fantastic. Thank you.

Hard it is.

Magnus

I can totally understand why certain devs left Infinite. It looks like a total pain in the ass to create.

But, wow, seriously. Next-gen is here and it's name is Bioshock Infinite.

Playing on the PS3, it's giving me some of the same vibes that SOTC did on the PS2 in '04 – that is, I'm ultra-impressed, but that it does feel like the hardware's being stretched to make it all happen. I can't imagine how great this looks on PC, and how nice it might be to have a PS4 version of this for the holidays.

Just want to clarify; I promise I'm not port-begging. After nearly playing through the whole thing, I do love this game and how well it plays on the PS3. A very, very competent version that doesn't fall apart or have regular issues.

At worst, I'm having the game pause to 'Load' for a full second during very busy environment moments outside of battle (late-game). Totally fine. Sucks a little, but fine.

Magnus

I wonder what Ken's next project will be.

Another city, in another era (far more modern day, perhaps?), running away from that era's version of America and crafting its own jingoistic Americanism appropriate to the time.

I make it sound mundane, but damn, I mean quite the opposite. Tons of potential.

Playing on the PS3, it's giving me some of the same vibes that SOTC did on the PS2 in '04 – that is, I'm ultra-impressed, but that it does feel like the hardware's being stretched to make it all happen. I can't imagine how great this looks on PC, and how nice it might be to have a PS4 version of this for the holidays.

Just want to clarify; I promise I'm not port-begging. After nearly playing through the whole thing, I do love this game and how well it plays on the PS3. A very, very competent version that doesn't fall apart or have regular issues.

At worst, I'm having the game pause to 'Load' for a full second during very busy environment moments outside of battle (late-game). Totally fine. Sucks a little, but fine.

It looks great on PC come and join us ;)

Really bummed hearing about 1999 mode feeling kinda tacked on. I really didn't want to start on hard, but I guess I'll save 1999 for after I've made sense of the game.

Top Bottom