• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Magnus

Unless things unravel later on, if Last of Us is to redefine storytelling in games it now has a very high mark that it needs to eclipse.

Is there a hyped expectation that it will? Looked like zombie horror action to me. Don't get me wrong; love Naughty Dog/Uncharted, but...I wasn't expecting vast storytelling revolutions from it.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Guys loving the game, I was playing dishonored to try and finish it and really really dislike it, so much so that when this unlocked a few hours later I couldnt care about playing it at all. Loaded it up and holy mother of shit is it beautiful, so colourful and vibrant and immersive.

One issue thats hurting me, everytime i do something achievements come up and i cant work out how to disable the notifications, any good fix for disabling them (steam version PC)

Enco

Just started the game and man the guy who said you really feel like you're in the air was completely right.

Felt kinda sick in the first few seconds but man it's amazing. First time I get a physical reaction from a game.

Magnus

Jesus Christ @ the shock moments later on....I've jumped out of my seat a number of times...more than I did with RE5 anyway. lol

For those who've finished the game:

The fucking Warden's Office; turning around to the see that Deathcaller - Siphon, whatever the fuck it's called, just standing right behind me...Also, damn, the room full of presidents' heads was brutally unnerving.

You're talking about...

The part where you watch the screens? Yeah I tried to back up and I was like what the fuck? Something's blocking me. I turn around and that motherfucker blasts that noise and then it was shotgun time.

Yeah....jesus. I haven't jumped like that in a long time. What is that enemy called?

Truant

Finished this last night in one sitting. Yes. Did the same thing with BS1.

Trying to wrap my head around the story, and it sucks that a lot of things were never answered. However, I suspect most of that will come in the form of the DLC.

+ Amazing world / atmosphere for the most part
+ Gunplay is solid
+ Elizabeth
+ Great voice acting
+ Story and writing is beyond what you'd expect from a video game

- Duty of Publisher - Shit is super linear, son
- Too much emphasis on combat
- Where's the systemic, open ended gameplay from SS2/BS1?
- Not enough audio logs
- Too many important questions left unanswered. Questions even Ken finished his "B:I is gold!" blog-post with. Boo!
- Too much focus on the high level issues in terms of story. Not enough focus on lore, how things work. Imagine if Bioshock 1 never talked about how the city was built, how plasmids/adam works, how little sisters or big daddies work. I understand the concept of mystery, but focusing just on the big issues in audio logs makes the game feel kinda dream like and surreal.

A little bit weird I guess. But I also think, being an Australian looking from the outside in to American culture, I kind of just took that as an embodiment of the Americana right to bear arms. That people do have guns, in their stores and around, and it's not that big of a deal for someone to be walking around with one. That's the mental leap of faith I make, anywho.

As an American, I'm not surprised if someone whips out a gun, but I sure as fuck react to it.

I'm in love with 1999 mode.

Eager to hear more from people who are enjoying 1999 mode.

Just checked the metacritic ratings and :lol. Either there is immense amounts of Doritos involved or some people have some crow to eat when it comes to this game ending up terrible due to development difficulties or something. Of course who knows how much axing multiplayer helped in the end.

Magnus

Finished this last night in one sitting. Yes. Did the same thing with BS1.

Trying to wrap my head around the story, and it sucks that a lot of things were never answered. However, I suspect most of that will come in the form of the DLC.

+ Amazing world / atmosphere for the most part
+ Gunplay is solid
+ Elizabeth
+ Great voice acting
+ Story and writing is beyond what you'd expect from a video game

- Duty of Publisher - Shit is super linear, son
- Too much emphasis on combat
- Where's the systemic, open ended gameplay from SS2/BS1?
- Not enough audio logs
- Too many important questions left unanswered. Questions even Ken finished his "B:I is gold!" blog-post with. Boo!

It sucks that answers may have intentionally been delayed to be answered in DLC. I've pretty much avoided all DLC for this gen's games (especially since it's been multiplayer-heavy). This will be the first time I indulge...and I don't like it.

How more linear is Infinite than BioShock? I've been reading it's far more linear, and BioShock's design in linearity was my favorite part about it. I loved exploring the world.

It sucks that answers may have intentionally been delayed to be answered in DLC. I've pretty much avoided all DLC for this gen's games (especially since it's been multiplayer-heavy). This will be the first time I indulge...and I don't like it.

I actually think it is extremely refreshing to get some good single player DLC if the price is right. That is if the main game was solid enough without the expansions.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I'm in love with 1999 mode.

Hmm, I am doing it on normal and do wonder whether a harder mode challenge would increase an already enjoyable experience? How hard are we talking? Multiple resets hard or difficult but doable? I usually pick normal because "Hard" difficulties in games seem to rely on the "you have to do this bit 10 times to work out how to approach it best.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As an American, I'm not surprised if someone whips out a gun, but I sure as fuck react to it.

I guess it's the mental leap I make by this still being a video game. NPCs don't react to me jumping around like an idiot, rummaging through bins, guzzling wine from bottles littering the street, gorging on cheese, or any of the silly idiocentric gamey qualities. And so, in an fantasy-like Americana paradise, NPCs unresponsive to me running around with a gun isn't much of an issue. For me, anywho.

How more linear is Infinite than BioShock? I've been reading it's far more linear, and BioShock's design in linearity was my favorite part about it. I loved exploring the world.

So far it's a lot less hub like. You've still got little areas to explore, depending on where you are, but it's a bit more of a focused shooter than BioShock's level design.

Zia

Is there a hyped expectation that it will? Looked like zombie horror action to me. Don't get me wrong; love Naughty Dog/Uncharted, but...I wasn't expecting vast storytelling revolutions from it.

They've said that that's their goal. It looks smart, but yeah, I agree with you.

Truant

Totally different setup. You can revisit older areas in some instances, but the whole "deck" system is gone. It's a one way street for the most part. Some sections later on open up, though. There's a part where you're in a big area where there's three objectives that (I think) you can do in whatever order you want. That was my favorite part of the game, in terms of exploration.

Lunar15

For people saying linear = Call of Duty = Bad, Half Life 2 was pretty damn linear, and I feel like everyone loved that game when it came out.

Also, I never really viewed Bioshock as "non-linear". I mean, yeah there were more free-form maps, but I don't know if I considered that a good thing.

So far, the levels have essentially been completely linear. There's a clear beginning and end to each chapter. Bioshock had areas that were a bit more hub-like.

fps-design.gif

They're somewhat like the 2010 level, but with fewer cutscenes.

Magnus

Totally different setup. You can revisit older areas in some instances, but the whole "deck" system is gone. It's a one way street for the most part. Some sections later on open up, though. There's a part where you're in a big area where there's three objectives that (I think) you can do in whatever order you want. That was my favorite part of the game, in terms of exploration.

The Three Tears?

I think that's a fixed order. :(

I ended up going to all the areas anyway to explore before the story 'took' me there for the appropriate cutscenes, and yeah, I agree, it's very open and awesome. But like you, I totally wish it truly was open for me to attack in any order, and that more of the game was like that.

I guess it's the mental leap I make by this still being a video game. NPCs don't react to me jumping around like an idiot, rummaging through bins, guzzling wine from bottles littering the street, gorging on cheese, or any of the silly idiocentric gamey qualities. And so, in an fantasy-like Americana paradise, NPCs unresponsive to me running around with a gun isn't much of an issue. For me, anywho.

Not disagreeing with you, really. Funny thing is, being from New Orleans, people doing any of the above would probably just be ignored as par for the course, unless they whipped out a gun.

Uiki

Eager to hear more from people who are enjoying 1999 mode.

Ok, i'll say it.

I hated bioshock 1 and 2.

They have so much potential in terms of gameplay...but I feel that it was all wasted with that stupid respawn system and a difficulty level that was set in sync with for this generation of fps......I couldn't care less about story and settings..it was a shooter, and fps. First of all I want a solid gameplay, then you can focus on other aspects.

1999 mode forces you to think and react utilizing all your combat possibilities to overcome the enemy. It means that every bullet and every once of salts counts, literally. You still respawn if you die, but only if you have enough money. And if you play careless and die a lot, you will not have the money to buy and upgrade things.

It's a challenge, not an 8 hour shooting gallery in god mode.

It feels almost like an old shooter..and that's why I love it so much.

madmackem

Im sitting here cursing the shit out of my postman for not bringing me it this morning. I hold a slither of hope it might come in the later post but it looks like tomorrow for me fuck this noise.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The linearity hasn't bothered me because the game paces itself well from encounters to down time. The encounters themselves are satisfying, meanwhile the down time is usually in "lived in" areas of the game world populated by NPCs. Even if they're linear in structure they feel lively and dense. It's a decent illusion.

BioShock's hub design was all well and good, but also padded with a lot of areas that lead to no real rewards. And the fact every single character was hostile made for a different tone. You're moving towards a single objective more often in Infinite, but you're also meeting and seeing a lot more characters that aren't eager to stick a wrench in your face.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Im sitting here cursing the shit out of my postman for not bringing me it this morning. I hold a slither of hope it might come in the later post but it looks like tomorrow for me fuck this noise.

image.php

- Too much focus on the high level issues in terms of story. Not enough focus on lore, how things work. Imagine if Bioshock 1 never talked about how the city was built, how plasmids/adam works, how little sisters or big daddies work. I understand the concept of mystery, but focusing just on the big issues in audio logs makes the game feel kinda dream like and surreal.

So they don't go into depth about the origin of vigors other than they're
from quantum mechanics
? What other specific things do they not explain about the world? Spoil me, it doesn't matter.

Uiki

Hmm, I am doing it on normal and do wonder whether a harder mode challenge would increase an already enjoyable experience? How hard are we talking? Multiple resets hard or difficult but doable? I usually pick normal because "Hard" difficulties in games seem to rely on the "you have to do this bit 10 times to work out how to approach it best.

I died one time in the first 2.5 hours...and because I accidentally hit an npc and the police went insane.

It's not "hard"...you just need to think before doing something. But with bioshock gameplay tools (weapons, vigors) the game literally explodes.

Vire

Pretty amazing religious commentary in the opening five minutes of the game that may fly over people's heads. A bit shocking even.

When you first get to Columbia there is a preacher speaking about the Prophet using the common Jewish sentiment Deyanu meaning "it would have been enough". This is taken from most Passover sedar haggadahs where it talk about God delivering the Jews from Egypt. Ironically, Passover was yesterday and I actually just had a sedar where we recited the words of Deyanu, so it hit especially close to home. Nonetheless, very interesting

Anyone else kind of wishing there was multiplayer now?

Would have been really cool with the skylines and verticality. Combat in general is pretty solid in this game.

ironcreed

Banned
This was the fastest 6.5 GB I have ever downloaded off PSN. Started at around 3:30 this morning, passed out until 5:30 and noticed it was already done. Anyway, I have it, but will not be playing until a bit later on.

The linearity hasn't bothered me because the game paces itself well from encounters to down time. The encounters themselves are satisfying, meanwhile the down time is usually in "lived in" areas of the game world populated by NPCs. Even if they're linear in structure they feel lively and dense. It's a decent illusion.

BioShock's hub design was all well and good, but also padded with a lot of areas that lead to no real rewards. And the fact every single character was hostile made for a different tone. You're moving towards a single objective more often in Infinite, but you're also meeting and seeing a lot more characters that aren't eager to stick a wrench in your face.

Interesting. I'll be exploring all that I can see and find no matter what.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So they don't go into depth about the origin of vigors other than they're
from quantum mechanics
? What other specific things do they not explain about the world? Spoil me, it doesn't matter.

Well did they ever explain the plasmids in Bioshock 1? can't remember.

BraXzy

I started on Medium difficulty because I didn't want it to be so hard I didn't take in the view my first run, but it's far too easy. When I go to change it, it says it will affect some achievements, what will it do? I don't want to lose progress :L

Just started after installing on Steam. Game seems to run flawlessly on my Phenom 965BE and GTX 660 SC. I think I'll play with a controller though, the mouse is way too lose and sensitive for me.

That art in this game is absolutely sublime. I prefer Columbia in a lot of ways to Rapture even though they are completely contrasting looks.

Only played 2 hours but:

-I love Bookers voice.
-I'm enjoying the gunplay already more than Bshock
-I love that I pay a lot of money which I don't have in spades at the moment when I die.
-Atmosphere and visuals are spectacular
-I love the skyhook

The only thing I find myself missing is a slide when I am running and hit crouch. I am so used to it that it kind of jarred me a couple time when it didn't happen.

So far its a great opening.

madmackem

I started on Medium difficulty because I didn't want it to be so hard I didn't take in the view my first run, but it's far too easy. When I go to change it, it says it will affect some achievements, what will it do? I don't want to lose progress :L

Thanks for the heads up, i was thinking id start on medium but if it feels too easy i might just toss it on hard.

Grisby

Got two question guys.

Does the PS3 version come with Bioshock 1 on the disc or is it a Dl code? How big is the install on ze PS3?

OwlyKnees

That art in this game is absolutely sublime. I prefer Columbia in a lot of ways to Rapture even though they are completely contrasting looks.

Only played 2 hours but:

-I love Bookers voice.
-I'm enjoying the gunplay already more than Bshock
-I love that I pay a lot of money which I don't have in spades at the moment when I die.
-Atmosphere and visuals are spectacular
-I love the skyhook

The only thing I find myself missing is a slide when I am running and hit crouch. I am so used to it that it kind of jarred me a couple time when it didn't happen.

So far its a great opening.

Yes!

Combat is so fluid already, but I keep wishing that I could open up fire and then slide behind some cover. Instead, I have to run over to it, then crouch.

Top Bottom