• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Am I the only one annoyed by the fact Booker keeps his gun out when he shouldn't? and he walks passed people and they haven't got a care in the world about it, seems kind of odd

Ok, i'll say it.

I hated bioshock 1 and 2.

They have so much potential in terms of gameplay...but I feel that it was all wasted with that stupid respawn system and a difficulty level that was set in sync with for this generation of fps......I couldn't care less about story and settings..it was a shooter, and fps. First of all I want a solid gameplay, then you can focus on other aspects.

1999 mode forces you to think and react utilizing all your combat possibilities to overcome the enemy. It means that every bullet and every once of salts counts, literally. You still respawn if you die, but only if you have enough money. And if you play careless and die a lot, you will not have the money to buy and upgrade things.

It's a challenge, not an 8 hour shooting gallery in god mode.

It feels almost like an old shooter..and that's why I love it so much.

Quite the broad range of opinions on this mode it seems. Maybe I'll try it after all.

taoofjord

About 3 hours in? Maybe 4. Still not feeling it. The game is gorgeous and the story is interesting, and I'll keep playing it for that, but Elizabeth and the world rarely come to life with me (once the first 30 minutes ended).

There are some really weird seams in this game. Like the overly scripted nature of the game that only starts feeling believable if you are continually moving toward your objective (something Irrational Games' previous games weren't designed around). I keep feeling penalized every time I want to explore the environment. Whether it's a tutorial tip or the protagonist or Elizabeth telling me to get moving.

Then there's the characters that stop talking after they deliver this scripted dialogue snippet. Elizabeth teleports around the game world whenever you're not looking at her (try looking away for a second and then back at the first area you get to explore with her)... again, this is probably for the gamers who move through the world quickly and would likely miss her interactions if they weren't sped up.

The binary aggressive behavior of the combat is so cartoonish and out of place that it's absurd... talk about abrupt combat situations.

I should also say that the games Bioshock Infinite are rooted in almost always contained a creepy atmosphere and Infinite dosen't capture the feeling those did. I know this wasn't Irrational's main goal here but the parts that have tried to be creepy haven't resonated with me due to the over-the-top action being so in my face.

In the end, I find Dishonored to be much more to my tastes. The combat was more fun and organic, the world and its inhabitants felt more alive, and it didn't rely on scripted elements and linear level design.

After I finish Infinite I think I'll go grab System Shock 2 since I haven't played that in years and it has a lot of what I was looking for from Infinite.

I have a feeling that there will be some major backlash on this game here at GAF once the initial hype wears off in a couple days.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
switched to hard now and its not that much different, im guessing the game is intentionally this way because with such a rich story, being dead every few minutes would really hamper the pacing.

Truant

So they don't go into depth about the origin of vigors other than they're
from quantum mechanics
? What other specific things do they not explain about the world? Spoil me, it doesn't matter.

Maybe I missed something regarding the Vigors, but it's hinted at that some of the stuff in Columbia comes from Rapture. A character mentions seeing stuff in tears.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
In the end, I find Dishonored to be much more to my tastes.

I'm loving Infinite so far, but I do agree with this. Dishonored hit a lot of right notes with me, making it easier to see through the flaws and appreciate what it did right. I do think they're apples and oranges though. Even at its most streamlined Dishonored was providing a larger scope of encounter diversity, in the tactics you could apply and how you'd approach them. Infinite is very much a first person shooter.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does the game open up or otherwise feel less rigid as you go on? I just got the lightning thing and went to the area you can access after that bit and so far it feels like I'm being stringed along with only like one or two bonus rooms I can visit outside the main path, mainly just to get additional loot and such, which at times feels annoying (why do I have to walk over to that otherwise useless area just for some ammo or money, they should have placed it in the main path!) rather than a cool discovery. You also can't backtrack way too often in this game, every other event you're cut off from all previous areas. Bioshock was perhaps similar but the way it was set up it often felt more like exploring and dicovering things, to me at least.

The only real gameplay seems to be choosing how to dispatch enemies in the arena-like areas between the vigors, weapons, and your ability to traverse terrain with that hook. Which is fun enough I suppose, but still, not exactly amazing, especially with this AI.

Other than that I don't like only holding two weapons, I think the two Elizabeth based mechanics are 100% pointless (
tears and lockpicks
) and it's also kind of stupid how she passes ammo and such out of nowhere to you, while she's clearly teleporting around as you go when you're not directly looking at her, like that creepy Watson in that adventure game.

It's an alright game so far, 7/10 for me I guess, but I'm definitely not impressed considering the hype. Although I'm pleased with how optimized it is, it runs good even on my shit PC, which is nice since not all my parts arrived today so I can't build the new one.

Visually it's pretty good even with some reduced settings in my case, although they should have invested much more in facial animatios for the main characters given how much you see of it and the rest animations for the random NPCs as they're all looking bland and with tons of clipping even in the early sections, like the very first couple you encounter outside, which kind of ruins the mood. They should have taken a look at that Tangled movie for inspiration, since Elizabeth is Rapunzel with
tears
instead of hair.

Also, I didn't see a Classic/1999 Mode available when starting a new game, what's up with that?

Dr Dogg

Well after skiving off work all day my ludicrously expensive super duper edition finally turned up (debating that it probably wasn't worth the extra but hey it's done now). Got an extraneous goodie for Xbox 360 to dress up your avatar like Elizabeth. Who wants it? Obviously for female avatars only (or for you guys that have a female one, who am I to judge). First come, first served. Oh it's an EU edition so don't know if it's region locked, probably not but better say.

Well after skiving off work all day my ludicrously expensive super duper edition finally turned up (debating that it probably wasn't worth the extra but hey it's done now). Got an extraneous goodie for Xbox 360 to dress up your avatar like Elizabeth. Who wants it? Obviously for female avatars only (or for you guys that have a female one, who am I to judge). First come, first served. Oh it's an EU edition so don't know if it's region locked, probably not but better say.

I'll take it.

I'm loving Infinite so far, but I do agree with this. Dishonored hit a lot of right notes with me, making it easier to see through the flaws and appreciate what it did right. I do think they're apples and oranges though. Even at its most streamlined Dishonored was providing a larger scope of encounter diversity, in the tactics you could apply and how you'd approach them. Infinite is very much a first person shooter.

dishonored's central game mechanics amounted to basically a win button, infinite as a simple first person shooter with some neat gimmicks thrown in is so far a much more interesting gameplay experience

Me, I'll gift it to Dax

edit: well, nvm then!

The only complaint I have is one that most everyone else is making. The game has a Disneyland ride or diorama feel to it. People are props to give you a line then stare off into the distance. As long as you keep moving its not to bad.

Pretty minor for me

I'm about 3 hours in and it's easily on of the best games I've played in years and years.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
dishonored's central game mechanics amounted to basically a win button, infinite as a simple first person shooter with some neat gimmicks thrown in is so far a much more interesting gameplay experience

Okay but I had a lot of fun with Dishonored. So there's that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wasn't able to sleep because this thread has gotten me so excited and for some reaso I decided to read all the posts since I went to bed right before I start work. Why am I doing this to myself? As soon as I get home though, hoo boy am I going to tear into this motherfucker.

prophecy0

I'm a few hours in on hard, and I'm finding it a very satisfying difficulty level. This is in part to the combat being actually good this time around, with a smarter power design and more satisfying shots. It's got an excellent run-and-gun quality about it, where you don't need to use iron sights even with highly accurate rifles, and enemies take just the right amount of shots that you can't sit back and cheese them with instant kill headshots, but also don't feel like bullet sponges. You're pressured to use your power, move between cover, and shoot smart. But not tediously so, in my opinion.

Hard is gud.

Any tips for Hard? I'm right near the beginning of the game
just after getting the Repeater
and combat is already pretty difficult.

Slight spoilers about the combat encounter following the above spoiler:
The turrets have a ton of health. Possessing them works wonders, but with limited salt I don't feel like I'm expected to possess them all. I was able to get through the portion where you get the repeater, but I got my ass handed to me in the next battle with the multiple grunts, the turret, and the fireman. It seems like the turrets and fireman just take a ton of damage to go down. Do I need to be more focused on running and gunning Doom style? Or do I just need to aim better? Do the turrets have a weakpoint?

icespide

Banned
was gonna trade in some games on amazon to order this, amazon let's you instantly get credit for traded in games now instead of waiting until the package is delivered! how awesome is that?

now I'll be playing this a week earlier than I thought. sweeeeeet

Himself

So how long we talking for a single playthrough?

And any word on ps3 vs. 360?

Sorry, I'm sure these questions have been asked a million times, but I'm doing my best to avoid spoilers so I don't want to search.

I'm pretty sure I'm about to go impulse buy this game even though I just started Witcher 2.

I think Dishonored gave you the illusion of diversity in combat, it said you could choose how you wanted to approach things but why bother when all out action and killing dudes is the obvious best way to do things? I tried stealthing the game at first and it was fine but once I started killing dudes I realised that that's what the game was built around, it made things a lot more fun.

Hm ok silly question maybe I had murder of crows earlier and now it's not there. Now I have bucking bronco and some other vigor. How do I get murder of crows back?

I wasn't able to sleep because this thread has gotten me so excited and for some reaso I decided to read all the posts since I went to bed right before I start work. Why am I doing this to myself? As soon as I get home though, hoo boy am I going to tear into this motherfucker.

Same damn here.

Hm ok silly question maybe I had murder of crows earlier and now it's not there. Now I have bucking bronco and some other vigor. How do I get murder of crows back?

Hold down the Vigor selector button.

If you're playing on consoles, default setting, it should be the left bumper/shoulder button.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

hold the vigors quick switch button, this will open the menu with all vigors.

EatChildren

Any tips for Hard? I'm right near the beginning of the game
just after getting the Repeater
and combat is already pretty difficult.

Slight spoilers about the combat encounter following the above spoiler:
The turrets have a ton of health. Possessing them works wonders, but with limited salt I don't feel like I'm expected to possess them all. I was able to get through the portion where you get the repeater, but I got my ass handed to me in the next battle with the multiple grunts, the turret, and the fireman. It seems like the turrets and fireman just take a ton of damage to go down. Do I need to be more focused on running and gunning Doom style? Or do I just need to aim better? Do the turrets have a weakpoint?

I try to keep turrets possessed, so they're not just dealing damage but taking damage too, and if they become active again try and keep myself out of their line of fire. If I can leave them last I can peak out of cover, fire a few shots, and so on to cheese them out of the picture. As for the other one,
I really just hit them with all I've got. They're tough. I don't have much tactic beyond that, sorry lol. Don't use your inferno power though. They're immune.

I play like an in-between of Doom and stop-and-pop. It's not quite fast enough to be pure doom, but your accuracy from the hip is so high you might as well never iron sights.

I think Dishonored gave you the illusion of diversity in combat, it said you could choose how you wanted to approach things but why bother when all out action and killing dudes is the obvious best way to do things? I tried stealthing the game at first and it was fine but once I started killing dudes I realised that that's what the game was built around, it made things a lot more fun.

I suppose when I say diversity of combat I don't really mean the balance, which was awfully in favour of the player, but what you could do. You could take the silent approach. You could lethal/non-lethal. You could blink. Stop time. Possess. Whatever. Even if you were unstoppable I still felt there was a sense of diversity to how you wanted to approach combat. The game didn't put you in encounters, but let you see the encounters and do what you please. Infinite doesn't have any of that. Much like BioShock, when you're in an encounter you'll know it.

I'm not really discussing which is better design, just that Dishonored's style resonated well with me.

PM'd you. Any probs let us know. Enjoy.

It worked. Thanks!

K0mCeqj.png

Double D

For the first time I think I'm going to buy a season pass for a game. Sure I've only played 4 hours or so, but I already know I want more of whatever they have to offer.

It might be because I'm an environment artist, but I could never like Dishonored more than this game. I also love hubs and think they're the most advanced form of level design, but this style was handled so well that I'm not bothered by not having a bunch of them. Is Jordan Thomas working on this game? The levels flow so smoothly.

Is anyone else having an issue with audio on PC? When Booker turns away from a source of sound, it becomes muted and practically inaudible. It's like the game assumes I have a 5.1 system and is using a 5.1 audio mix, so the rear channel sounds aren't playing through my stereo computer speakers. I think someone mentioned having a similar problem in either this thread or the PC performance thread.

Hasney

Is anyone else having an issue with audio on PC? When Booker turns away from a source of sound, it becomes muted and practically inaudible. It's like the game assumes I have a 5.1 system and is using a 5.1 audio mix, so the rear channel sounds aren't playing through my stereo computer speakers. I think someone mentioned having a similar problem in either this thread or the PC performance thread.

I'm using a 7.1 headset, so no, but if you right click on the volume control in the taskbar, click playback devices, select your speakers and select configure, you should be able to make it stereo.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
What do we know about the upcoming DLC? Do we know what and when it is? I'm hoping for something as good as Minerva's Den.

Top Bottom