• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Derrick01

Banned
This game is alright so far. I spent about an hour just taking in the various sights before I even obtained a gun so that was kind of a pleasant change of pace for most shooters. I'm playing on hard and while I wouldn't say it's actually hard so far, I take enough damage to keep me alert (those damn turrets man).

It can't be overstated how ridiculous this looks on PC. The art style and environment design is top notch. Give those people a raise.

antitrop

This game is alright so far. I spent about an hour just taking in the various sights before I even obtained a gun so that was kind of a pleasant change of pace for most shooters. I'm playing on hard and while I wouldn't say it's actually hard so far, I take enough damage to keep me alert (those damn turrets man).

It can't be overstated how ridiculous this looks on PC. The art style and environment design is top notch. Give those people a raise.

The turrets are only in a pain in the ass at the very, very beginning of the game. Once you get some Vigors and a feel for the combat, they are a non-issue and actually a tactical advantage.

Pretty much what was said in the Videogamer review:

Columbia, on the other hand, is so bright and breezy that it feels like a shootout at Butlins. Even when things 'go dark' it never feels especially oppressive.​

Weird. I get that effect thanks to the sound constantly reminding you that you're hundreds of miles off the ground and that any second all these machines could fail and you'll plummet to your death.

That reminds me, 4 hours in, my favorite NPC exchange.

"So clear out today, you can even see parts of the [shit, I forgot what they call America]."
"Hm. I always thought it would be more...on fire."

antitrop

Could you link to a specific post in that thread or tell me how to go about it? I'm a computer dummy when it comes to that kind of thing.

Open XUserOptions.ini in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config

Change:

MinMouseLookSensitivity=0.100000
MaxMouseLookSensitivity=1.000000

You can adjust those values further to your liking depending on the DPI settings of your mouse. That's still sort of high if your DPI setting is anything higher than 3k. But the default values are astronomical. What kind of 1997 fucking mice do the devs think people own?

Vire

I gotta say, it's really unfortunate the textures suck so bad on consoles, it's kinda breaking my immersion a bit.

Oh well, game is still pretty awesome.

Ahhh man I think you can't enable 1999 once you have already started a playthrough.
SUCK!

I gotta say, it's really unfortunate the textures suck so bad on consoles, it's kinda breaking my immersion a bit.

Oh well, game is still pretty awesome.

That sucks cause its so gorgeous on PC. I was hoping there would be more parity.

ironcreed

Banned

You... like it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

Open XUserOptions.ini in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config

Change:

You can adjust those values further to your liking depending on the DPI settings of your mouse. That's still sort of high if your DPI setting is anything higher than 3k. But the default values are astronomical. What kind of 1997 fucking mice do the devs think people own?

Thank you kindly. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had issues with the sensitivity.

Geoff9920

Change:

Thanks, I was also looking for this. Having a mouse that lets me adjust my DPI on the fly helps, but this will make things much better.

ironcreed

Banned
It's amusing so far but we're only talking about an hour and a half here, many of that from me walking around every corner searching for shit. We'll see if it can hold up now that the combat stuff has started.

You are a hard nut to crack, so it is encouraging to hear you are enjoying it on any level. I'll be starting here in a bit.

Pretty much what was said in the Videogamer review:

Columbia, on the other hand, is so bright and breezy that it feels like a shootout at Butlins. Even when things 'go dark' it never feels especially oppressive. There's a worrying lack of urgency or danger to it all, compounded by the fact that the populace doesn't seem to care much that a total stranger is wandering in and out of shops with an automatic weapon. At one stage I was in a giftshop wielding a machine gun, the barrel still red hot from killing more cops than Ice Cube on an especially bad day, and no-one much seemed to care. Good for adding to the dreamy haze, bad for tonal consistency.​

I think it has a ludonarrative dissonance to it. Here you are in this wondefully angelic place with bright colours and sunny skies but there is something so fundamentally evil there and such deep rooted racism that it's a huge contrast with how the place looks. I think it's great. Bioshock 1 was very very oppressive BUT it was also constantly so, it never changed at all throughout the game. it became a little stagnating for long playthroughs.

khustla

Banned
I'm so used to seeing this game running of pc on trailers and previews its a shock when I actually play it on a console on how bad it looks its kinda like that hot girl where your so used to seeing her with her makeup on and her hair did but when you catch her without any makeup your like what the fuck happened to you

Combat is a lot of fun, the melee attack..... holy crap

Melee should let you counter a attack if timed right.

The art direction and design here is simply superb. They've really outdone themselves. And the colours are so sumptious.

It makes it quite shocking when the combat kicks in. It's like you're in a Disney/Pixar film that suddenly turns really bloody. The brutality hits you hard because you've become so lulled by the pretty surroundings. It's awesome.

And as for the direction the story suddenly takes, it's like a punch to the gut. This game is incredibly ballsy. So far that's what's surprised me the most.

Yeah it is a truly gorgeous game. The whole opening area just begs to me combed over with every detail soaked in.

The art direction and design here is simply superb. They've really outdone themselves. And the colours are so sumptious.

It makes it quite shocking when the combat kicks in. It's like you're in a Disney/Pixar film that suddenly turns really bloody. The brutality hits you hard because you've become so lulled by the pretty surroundings. It's awesome.

And as for the direction the story suddenly takes, it's like a punch to the gut. This game is incredibly ballsy. So far that's what's surprised me the most.

I think it has a ludonarrative dissonance to it. Here you are in this wondefully angelic place with bright colours and sunny skies but there is something so fundamentally evil there and such deep rooted racism that it's a huge contrast with how the place looks. I think it's great. Bioshock 1 was very very oppressive BUT it was also constantly so, it never changed at all throughout the game. it became a little stagnating for long playthroughs.

Yeah, it's cerebrally oppressive in a big way. Especially the first ten minutes of arriving at Columbia. Those dudes are...BRRRRR

Guess Who

Banned
There's a worrying lack of urgency or danger to it all, compounded by the fact that the populace doesn't seem to care much that a total stranger is wandering in and out of shops with an automatic weapon. At one stage I was in a giftshop wielding a machine gun, the barrel still red hot from killing more cops than Ice Cube on an especially bad day, and no-one much seemed to care. Good for adding to the dreamy haze, bad for tonal consistency.​

Considering how much of the game is a comment on extremist right-wing American politics, maybe this is a subtle satire of American gun culture? Maybe in Columbia it's perfectly acceptable to walk around with a scary-ass automatic weapon.

Probably not, but it's a fun way to interpret it.

Yoritomo

This is the first game where I feel my role is evil. I don't know if that was intentional, but I'm murdering people for agreeing with their society. I'm essentially a hyper competent spree killer on a mission to rid myself of debt. Hell, the Columbia that I've seen probably compares favorably to the US during the same time period. Birth of a Nation was released in 1915 and wouldn't have been out of place in
the racist enclave in Columbia.
Or even out of place in the world, almost as if Columbia takes inspiration from the movie and it's attitudes.

I need to finish the game and figure out where they're going with this. I want to talk about it. I want to talk about the story. From a guy who thinks story-telling in games should only serve the narrative and nothing else since it's complete shit in most games I actually care about the greater discussion in the game and that's frankly amazing to me.

Maybe i'm missing something but I bought the retail PC version so I didn't have to download a huge file but I pop in disk 1 and it just starts downloading from steam anyway.

No kidding. The juxtaposition of the previous beauty and the first combat was amazing. I was in awe for a minute or two afterwards at what just happened.

Var

My premium edition finally shipped from Amazon. Estimated Delivery for tomorrow. I was really hoping for release date delivery on this one.

While not every encounter us like this, I sort of disagree [OPTIONAL AREA FOUR HOURS OR SO IN]
I broke into a house and slinked around and listened to a police sketch artist talk to a woman for a while and then left. You can avoid combat and reap certain rewards, narratively.

Oh wow,
I went downstairs too quickly and drew their attention. Had to kill both officers and who I guess was the woman's husband. Meanwhile she was cowering in a corner, scared to death.
I felt guilt afterwards, I feel even worse now.

I've been looting every single barrel, crate and desk I come across. But then I saw
a collection box in an empty store with a few eagles inside and sign that read "You are on the honor system".
So I turned right around and didn't take a thing from that location.

Yoritomo

How do I get people to not shoot at me when it seems I'm in a peaceful setting? There are so many set pieces that I feel like I'm messing up by either making my presence known or walking behind the wrong counter.

Derrick01

Banned

Heh yeah I thought something pretty similar. Everything was so cheery and colorful and then I'm snapping dude's necks and ripping their eyes out. I was like oh this is where we're going, alright then :lol

aravuus

Just finished the game. 5/5, one of the best games I've ever played. Fucking crazy stuff, goddamn.

Ken, you are the fucking man

jacobeid

Banned
Good gravy, whoever was in charge of picking the music in this game deserves a medal. (music spoilers for Hall of Heroes)
First time I've heard anyone acknowledge anything other than goddamn Dies Irae from Mozart's Requiem for a game/movie that wasn't Amadeus.
Perf.

My thoughts exactly. I can't believe they put that in there....fantastic.

No kidding. The juxtaposition of the previous beauty and the first combat was amazing. I was in awe for a minute or two afterwards at what just happened.

I found it quite sad that I had to fight. Especially after it all goes down after my arrival. :/

Also the arrival-scene, when you see a first glance of the city, combine with that female robotic voice saying "Hallelujah" is amazing.

Yeah, it's cerebrally oppressive in a big way. Especially the first ten minutes of arriving at Columbia. Those dudes are...BRRRRR

It really is, there's a scary sort of scientology type cultist feel to the whole game.
like when you start the first fight,
it seems like a harmless raffle among cheery people and then they bring out gagged citizens where first prize is you having to fling a ball at them
:/ kind of crazy.

Derrick01

Banned
Dude tag that stuff just in case ^

Another thing I'll say is that this game really makes me wish it was full open world and not completely combat focused. They tease you with that art and design style and it makes me want to just chill and explore.

BFIB

On your first initial "choice", what did you do?

Throw the ball at the couple? Throw the ball at the announcer?

I chose the
announcer

I found it quite sad that I had to fight. Especially after it all goes down after my arrival. :/

Also the arrival-scene, when you see a first glance of the city, combine with that female robotic voice saying "Hallelujah" is amazing.

Yeah I liked the contrast but it all happened a bit TOO fast for my liking. A bit more buildup would have been nice, or at least have them turn on you AFTER you take elizabeth so they know you're the false shepard that way or something.
And yeah the intro I think is now my favourite of all time
Uh, spoilers dude.
Dude tag that stuff just in case ^

Damn, I had them in and then had to edit a bit more and must have deleted them. thanks lol that could have got real messy

I chose the
announcer

Not to get all Breaking Bad/Walter White, but
I can't imagine anyone who'd be messed up enough to do the former. Even in a video game.

I chose the
announcer

I'm more curious about the other choices.

Especially those from that
weird couple. Heads or tails, bird or cage etc.

Top Bottom