• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Soi-Fong

Anyone here know which place is the best place to get the Season Pass DLC for PC? After playing 2 hours of this game so far, I've pretty much realized I'll want more later on.

The intro to Columbia really makes it feel like some sort of theme park or Disney World vibe. Even sort of unintentionally with how so many of the populace feel like animatronic robots and not really people.

Its not a big issue for me really, but it is kind of noteworthy how as these sorts of richly created worlds in games or games that try to go really story heavy get better and better, the little bits that seem like shortcuts (copy paste faces on civilians, for instance) stand out more and more.

I'm more curious about the other choices.

Especially those from that
weird couple. Heads or tails, bird or cage etc.

I have a big theory on that but I think it may be a major plot point so I don't wanna talk about it. Wanna see if I guessed right in the end
Anyone here know which place is the best place to get the Season Pass DLC for PC? After playing 2 hours of this game so far, I've pretty much realized I'll want more later on.

I'm gonna get it on GMG with the 20% off code

Tacitus_

Whose bloody idea was it to have a boss that spawns infinite adds, which do not drop enough loot to continue killing them? Shit's stupid.

Heh yeah I thought something pretty similar. Everything was so cheery and colorful and then I'm snapping dude's necks and ripping their eyes out. I was like oh this is where we're going, alright then :lol

For all it's mature themes and storytelling depth, it's also not afraid to just be a video game.

Anyway, I hope some of these cool moments haven't been spoiled for people. I was trying to be delicate about it but people got a bit carried away.

antitrop

For all it's mature themes and storytelling depth, it's also not afraid to just be a video game.

Anyway, I hope some of these cool moments haven't been spoiled for people. I was trying to be delicate about it but people got a bit carried away.

The floodgates are open on one of the biggest games of the year, there's no stopping the deluge of discussion and impressions.

Grief.exe

I'm enjoying the mature themes.

The racism, the religious fanaticism, the politics, the cover-ups. Its all so interesting

The floodgates are open on one of the biggest games of the year, there's no stopping the deluge of discussion.

But...I haven't beaten it yet!

I just woke up, bout to get back to playing.

Love Spring Break!

Facism

The intro to Columbia really makes it feel like some sort of theme park or Disney World vibe. Even sort of unintentionally with how so many of the populace feel like animatronic robots and not really people.

Its not a big issue for me really, but it is kind of noteworthy how as these sorts of richly created worlds in games or games that try to go really story heavy get better and better, the little bits that seem like shortcuts (copy paste faces on civilians, for instance) stand out more and more.

I was wondering about all the women that looked exactly the same, then those blimps flew by, one of them talking about
"TEH MIRACLE" with parents holding a baby, which led my mind to wonder about some sort of eugenics going on to create a master race of humans.

Game started strong, that's for sure. looking forward to more :D

I'm enjoying the mature themes.

The racism, the religious fanaticism, the politics, the cover-ups. Its all so interesting

But...I haven't beaten it yet!

I just woke up, bout to get back to playing.

Love Spring Break!

I was impressed when saw they had the Irish in with the blacks as part of the whole racist feel. Something that is normally overlooked for that era

nbthedude

So far playing Bioshock Infinite still feels a lot like going to see Mission Impossible 5 and then having scenes where maniquins spring to life for 30 seconds at a time to speak a few lines of socio-political commentary at you before you continue on your journey of shoot-bang.

I'm enjoying the game but this nonsense about it being serious art or a masterpiece or some such will never help gaming ever arrive at that point where it can be discussed in the context of a serious conversation. The tone of this game is jarringly inconsistent and that makes it in many ways worse than most pulp fiction that knows what it is and doesn't strive for anything higher.

antitrop

So far playing Bioshock Infinite still feels a lot like going to see Mission Impossible 5 and then having scenes where maniquins spring to life for 30 seconds at a time to speak a few lines of socio-political commentary at you before you continue on your journey of shoot-bang.
I know what you mean, but I don't think the dissonance is that bad. Maybe it's because the combat is so good that I'm just as anxious to get to the next battle set-piece as I am the story bits.

Holding off on picking this up until I finish the new rig...I want to play this in as fine an environment as possible. We're talking a decent glass of whiskey, headphones, lights out and (if all goes well) a few monitors.

nbthedude

I know what you mean, but I don't think the dissonance is that bad.

I think what makes it worse is that most of the characters that talk only animate for their little section of dialog. it's like going through a cheesy history museum or amusement park ride where the manquiens speak for 20 seconds and then go still and quite. The lights fade, then it's back to the shoot bang.

Maybe it will get better. I'm only a few hours in.

antitrop

I think what makes it worse is that most of the characters that talk only animate for their little section of dialog. it's like going through a cheesy history museum or amusement park ride where the manquiens speak for 20 seconds and then go still and quite. The lights fade, then it's back to the shoot bang.

The game is literally a roller coaster ride and an amusement park fun house.

I'm fine with that, though.

Hylian7

Posted this in the performance thread too.

Hylian7 said:
I unlocked early on Steam yesterday with a VPN, and now when I launch the game, it either crashes or says "Completing Installation" and then says the Steam servers are too busy. I verified game cache integrity and that did nothing.

ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS PLAY AFTER CLASS!

What do you expect them to do otherwise?

nbthedude

The game is literally a roller coaster ride and an amusement park fun house.

I'm fine with that, though.

I can be fine with it as pulp. Aside from the wood NPCs, nothing in it is bad and much of it is very good. But it is still tonally inconsistent pulp. It's when people start talking about this game as some kind of masterpiece or something that shows how games can be "serious" that is when I have the problem. It's about as "serious" and unified as if you made Mission Impossible 5 and then stuck scenes of serious social political commentary in it.

In literature we mostly consider it an unsophisticated mechanism to use a story as a conduit for medicine (i.e. a moral). That is why we generally think of fables as being for kids because they have a very pointed moral message that is covered up by a fantastical story. It seems like Bioshock uses the gameplay as the sugar to cover up the taste of it's medicine, the narrative. And I don't think it even needs to because either of these things could make a very fun and interesting experience on their own. They just don't really seem to gel to me.

It's probably worse because of the principle of the uncanny valley. The closer you get to discussing serious cultural and political issues in an adult way the more everything that surrounds those issues that make it a traditional videogame stands out in relief.

nbthedude

What do you expect them to do otherwise?

Act like people? Not like Maniquins. At the very least, exit stage, go into a house, or create an animation loop that has some semblance of life to it. It is something that a lot of games do better nowdays. But much of the time they literally say two sentences and then stand their like stone statues afterwards for ever and ever. Some of the characters have animation loops like the kids playing in the fire hydrant, etc. But that just draws more attention to all the ones that do not. Maybe it's a hardware limitation issue, though. Anyway, it wasn't my major point, just an observation of something that contributes to the problem.

Just finished it. That was fucking crazy as hell. I might do a small write-up later, but that was really damn good. Kinda regret playing on Hard though.

Dude tag that stuff just in case ^

Another thing I'll say is that this game really makes me wish it was full open world and not completely combat focused. They tease you with that art and design style and it makes me want to just chill and explore.

I was a little sad when the combat started. I was just enjoying the spectacle of the whole thing walking around and picking up every silver eagle i could get my hands on.

vladdamad

OK so I just
got thrown out of my airship by daisy fitzroy after liz whacked me with a wrench, about to enter fink's docks.
approximately how many hours do I have left? game is friggin amazing by the way

antitrop

OK so I just
got thrown out of my airship by daisy fitzroy after liz whacked me with a wrench, about to enter fink's docks.

That is EXACTLY where I stopped playing last night, too.

Took me about 8 hours to get there, but I'm taking my sweet ass time.

DukeBobby

OK so I just

This is the point where I am too. I'm sure somebody said that it's about 40% into the game.

S1kkZ

OK so I just

around
65% left. its not even the halfway point

Played about an hour.
Damn this game is beautiful. Even on ultra there are some disappointing textures but who cares when confronted with an achievement of this magnitude both on a technical and artistical level?
Some people said that all npcs ignore you but that's not true at all, some of them talk to you as you walk past them and Booker even replies sometimes.
The intro is amazing, maybe my favorite ever. The first few minutes walking around columbia I was in awe, not only is it breathtaking but it feels alive, it has a history and the whole concept was clearly well thought out.
Gunplay is solid, fortunately.
Sound is fantastic, I was playing with headphones and was completely immersed.

Not being able to save anywhere is really annoying, devs need to realize that the people that play their games have a live.
Playing on hard and it seems ideal for me.

Top Bottom