• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Anyone else having a trophy issue on PS3? I checked the list and apparently I should've gotten 3 trophies yesterday that simply didn't pop up, 2 of them story related even.

Man I can't wait to play this after work today. You guys have my hype levels at critical.

I'm also at work right now. After only playing a little bit yesterday... my hype levels are higher than they were BEFORE playing. The game is just that good that I can't wait to get back to it.

Domstercool

So I finished the game this morning. Really enjoyed it and prefer it more than Bioshock.

I never could get into Bioshock. Sure, the setting was cool, but it wasn't my thing, so if you didn't get into the atmosphere and setting, then you was left with gameplay which was uninspiring and quite simple.

I love the improvements to the combat, it feels more capable as a shooter now, plus the city in the sky is gorgeous, a simple breathtaking environment. Love the early 1900 vibe from it all.

Elizabeth rocks too, and I love the partnership between her and the player. I hope The Last of Us makes me care for my buddies like I did for Elizabeth.

Magnus

Specific enemies definitely seem to have specific weaknesses, Mega Man styles, right? The Hydro one seems great against Firemen.

So after restarting on hard mode I've realized something, the gear you pick up is completely RNG. The first time through the first piece of gear was one that gave me a chance of regenerating my expended clip of ammo, this time through I've been getting a ton of melee gear. And I just tested something, if you restart a save and reopen a gift box, it'll produce a different piece of gear. I'm back at the
hall of heroes
and have been just running up to the gift, check the piece of gear and restarting the checkpoint again hoping to get one I like

edit: oo just found one that increases crit (headshot) damage by 50% I think i'll keep that one

I know the 360 version has almost no tearing with V-sync enabled. PS3 version tears a lot, even with V-sync on. I saw it in the videos. But it looks more crisp.

I still not know which version I should buy, I can't stand tearing but a blurry IQ isn't that appeiling either.

PC version isn't a option I have. Digital Foundry, where are you guys? :(

Anyone else having a trophy issue on PS3? I checked the list and apparently I should've gotten 3 trophies yesterday that simply didn't pop up, 2 of them story related even.
I'm not having any problem myself. But there's someone over on PS3T.org having the same problem as you, you might want to keep an eye on the thread.

Mr. Hyde

I love everything about the game besides the game play, so far. I am hoping it changes as I progress into it. I guess I just suck at it. The downside of such a huge open city is I keep getting killed by random turrets every five or so minutes and I had to put the game on easy just to enjoy myself. The original bioshock had a more focused style of gameplay due to the smaller areas where turrets didn't always kill me.

So I finished the game this morning. Really enjoyed it and prefer it more than Bioshock.

I never could get into Bioshock. Sure, the setting was cool, but it wasn't my thing, so if you didn't get into the atmosphere and setting, then you was left with gameplay which was uninspiring and quite simple.

I love the improvements to the combat, it feels more capable as a shooter now, plus the city in the sky is gorgeous, a simple breathtaking environment. Love the early 1900 vibe from it all.

Elizabeth rocks too, and I love the partnership between her and the player. I hope The Last of Us makes me care for my buddies like I did for Elizabeth.

Is there a big reason to play through it twice other than a harder difficulty? I've been keeping out of these threads for the most part.

Zabka

I remembered reading a few people recommending Hard if you are at least familiar to shooters before starting the game up last night. That lead me to assume that it would have been similar to the Hard difficulty in Dishonored which was perfectly fine for me. Granted, I did go for a no kill run in that game so I should have known better.

I'm not a great FPS player, but I certainly am familiar with them. I just found the Handymen fights, fights with a lot of enemies, and how fast it takes to be at very low health to be pretty obnoxious for me. Dying fairly frequently and having to see that revive animation every time didn't help either. It all just got to me near the end of the game.

I wouldn't say it hurt my overall enjoyment of the game, but if I could do it over again, I would have picked normal like I usually do. Maybe I will on another playthrough some day.

I started off on hard mode as well but after a couple gunfights I realized I'd rather not play it like that the first time through. I just went into options and dropped it down to normal though.

Dr Dogg

One benefit of being on a media blackout for all thing BioShock was that I was left wondering "Who is that? He sounds very familiar" when I first heard Booker speak. When the penny dropped that it was Troy Baker it brought a wry smile to my face.

RetroMG

(Very early game spoilers)

So who actually
threw the ball at the couple?

I did. I felt horrible about it, but I felt like I needed to stay incognito at all costs. Actually, I expected to be able to aim, so I was going to just deliberately miss, but no dice.

If you think some people complain about FOV, well...

I appreciate that you didn't put it in. I played a tiny bit when it first unlocked last night and the FOV was making me a little bit sick. When I started in earnest this morning, I went through all the settings and adjusted the FOV, so I'm all good now.

I have a dozen theories about this game and I desperately want to go look up spoilers to see if I'm right, but Bioshock 1 is the one game I've ever regretted looking at spoilers for, so I'm going to restrain myself for Infinite.

spirity

I'm only a few hours in.

Its funny how a game this pretty can have some really ugly racism in it, but the contrast is obviously intentional. My Irish parents came to England in the 70's looking to start new lives, and they had their fair share, as I'm sure many other nationalities and creeds have had (and worse, obviously). Although a video game can't really address a topic like this properly, kudos to Irrational for throwing it out there.

The ai seems a little hit and miss, I've had a couple of instances where a guy has ran almost right through me into a corner, and other times they've ran from cover to cover, yelling instructions to one another and behaving fairly intelligently. Ymmv I guess.

I really do like Elizabeth, though I'm not a fan of the Disney style animation they chose for her. I can't stand the exaggerated expressions. And was it me, or did I hear
Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Ciny Lauper on the beach?? I recognised the tune, but it took me a minute to realise what it was. Easter egg I assume?

Great gunplay. Great graphics. Great game. I'm not sure how this can be topped this year, but we've a long way to go yet and I still haven't finished playing. I'm thrilled with what I've played so far.

nbthedude

Really funny non-spoiler scene that struck me as a microcosm:

Elizabeth: "Which Way?"

DeWitt": "Up!"

I turn to look the other way (theoretically "down") and it's 2 feet of railing and a dead end.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
you don't have any trophies? or just one?

I have 5, but I should've gotten 3 more. I stopped at
the Vox populi yesterday, and didn't get trophies for finding Shock Jockey and getting on the ship.
I also got a full gear set which should give you a trophy, nothing for that either. It's like the game stopped registring them.

BraXzy

I was just thinking to myself, damn I need the art book for this, then remembered I'd impulsively preordered it..

It will be magnificent!!

See, I felt almost the opposite about some of your points.

I think the plasmids were a better fit for the close quarters environments in Rapture than they are for the more open spaces in Columbia. Infinite is much more a straight shooter and I don't think that's to its benefit. That and the skyrail element of Infinite's combat isn't often relevant. I get the feeling that was toned down a fair amount from the original plan. The verticality/mobility it gives you when it does show up can be fun.

I do agree with preferring the style of Columbia though. It's stunning and makes a great impression that to be honest, lasts all the way through.

antitrop

Really funny non-spoiler scene that struck me as a microcosm:

Elizabeth: "Which Way?"

DeWitt": "Up!"

I turn to look the other way (theoretically "down") and it's 2 feet of railing and a dead end.

I thought it was kind of funny, because she's been locked up for so long, she just seems kind of confused when you escape. It's cute.

Domstercool

Is there a big reason to play through it twice other than a harder difficulty? I've been keeping out of these threads for the most part.

Once you know the conclusion, you might want to play through again to look for certain signs, but that's about it really. I don't feel like I need to play it again though.

I will go to my local store and I'll ask if I can test both console versions. I really DO NOT want to play the beginning of the game in a store but I'll make a exception this time.

Better safe than sorry... ;-)

Grief.exe

Some downsampled shots for you console guys

3367x1894 downsampled to 1920x1080
Used Bicubic Sharper in Photoshop

i8eEtjaH4dPux.png

iyhAV6r5wPp80.png

iRBm1NQ2Hgu2u.png

iuDXPRi0EkTG0.png

ibimdCuSGbLYJl.png

And was it me, or did I hear
Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Ciny Lauper on the beach?? I recognised the tune, but it took me a minute to realise what it was. Easter egg I assume?
LOL I heard that too,
I thought there must be an original classical version I didn't know about and Girls Just Want To Have Fun is the pop adaptation.
I felt stupid.

Domstercool

See, I felt almost the opposite about some of your points.

I think the plasmids were a better fit for the close quarters environments in Rapture than they are for the more open spaces in Columbia. Infinite is much more a straight shooter and I don't think that's to its benefit. That and the skyrail element of Infinite's combat isn't often relevant. I get the feeling that was toned down a fair amount from the original plan. The verticality/mobility it gives you when it does show up can be fun.

I do agree with preferring the style of Columbia though. It's stunning and makes a great impression that to be honest, lasts all the way through.

I agree with the skyrail system, there were a few points where it was used in battle, but yeah, not enough to totally flesh that out and make it exciting in combat.

Which powers did you use? I mainly went for ones that stunned enemies or made them allies, like the electric one (can't remember the name), then you could pop them with a gun to explode their heads. You could use them from far distances and it really helped me in combat.

Dr Dogg

Well Colombia is certainly a lot more vibrant and way more colourful than Rapture or the Von Braun ever were but they still haven't shaken off the age old convention of that every protagonist is a kleptomaniac. Don't mind me I'm just stealing everything in sight.

Grief.exe

I really like how the lockpicks are very well hidden. You don't often see that in games.

I know for the Day Z standalone, Dean is talking about a similar mechanic.

But you really have to hunt around rooms for them, they are hidden under desks, or between items on the ground, or even inside drawers.

Once I figured out where and how to look I've amassed quite a collection, I have about 20 right now.

void666

Banned
There are no alternate ammo types right?
Combat seems very simplified. Vigors don't feel unique.

You know what i miss? Walking around just exploring. Hacking turrets. Feeling the atmosphere.
I miss the planning. If i met a big daddy i had to think. Can i kill him now or should i wait?
Should i attack him head on or should i set some traps? What weapons will i use? What kind of ammo do i have?
Handymen are just big grunts. They don't feel like big daddies at all.

So far Infinite is just "walk forward and shoot everything".
Yes, game is beautiful. Story is interesting. But i... i don't know. I expected more.

And Booker seems to be another videogame errand boy so far.

I have no idea when I'll be able to play this due to work, but I'll be buying it soon to support the team.

Congrats to the team and Fartofwar. All these posts about GFW Radio and such made me think of NGR as well. Shit, it's been awhile.

LuchaShaq

Banned
As someone who was personally incredibly bored by the time (maybe 3-4 hours into each?) I put into bioshock 1 and 2, is infinite different enough outside of setting?

I'm only about 5ish hours in so far, and I just feel the need to thank everyone who had a hand in the production of this game. The introduction sequence was one of the most memorable video game intro's I've ever experienced and the atmosphere is absolutely incredible. It was worth the wait that's for sure.

Also, does anyone know if the season pass is up on the Playstation Store? I tried searching for it, but I can't navigate the new store to save my life so I might have missed it.

Also also, I might get flamed for even mentioning this, but would anyone else be interested in a multiplayer expansion later down the line for the game? I just keep thinking about how much fun (surprisingly) I had with the Bioshock 2 multiplayer and imagining how crazy it could be in Columbia. I know it's unlikely but a man can dream I guess.

Top Bottom