• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

antitrop

I'm assuming by your post you're a developer or someone who worked on the game. Just want to extend a massive grats on pulling this off. I was also in the pessimistic camp, but based on everything I've seen, read and heard so far, looks like you guys pulled it off in spectacular fashion. I tip my hat to you and all your team.

FartofWar is Shawn Elliot, level designer for Bioshock Infinite and former 1up writer and GFW Radio God.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm something like five hours in, just got the
Shock Jock
vigor. While I enjoy the way combat feels this game is far too easy even on hard. I guess I should have punched in the code for 1999 mode or something. My weapons simply deal far too much damage and the vigors have too much of an impact on enemies for how plentiful resources are.

Most of the time I feel more like I'm scrounging around rather than exploring, because the game is extraordinarily linear. It feels too easy to read the games environmental visual cues. I almost always know where enemies will pour out from, and it's honestly pretty boring to always have them enter what feel like fabricated arenas from the outside. Rarely do I feel like I'm coming up on enemies who were going about their business. The world doesn't really feel used by its enemies, just its passive inhabitants. I guess that's where I preferred the original Bioshock.

I'm willing to be a blasphemer or whatever, but I was much more impressed with Bioshock 2's encounter and level design.

Zeliard

I'm something like five hours in, just got the
Shock Jock
vigor. While I enjoy the way combat feels this game is far too easy even on hard. I guess I should have punched in the code for 1999 mode or something. My weapons simply deal far too much damage and the vigors have too much of an impact on enemies for how plentiful resources are.

Most of the time I feel more like I'm scrounging around rather than exploring, because the game is extraordinarily linear. It feels too easy to read the games environmental visual cues. I almost always know where enemies will pour out from, and it's honestly pretty boring to always have them enter what feel like fabricated arenas from the outside. Rarely do I feel like I'm coming up on enemies who were going about their business. The world doesn't really feel used by its enemies, just its passive inhabitants. I guess that's where I preferred the original Bioshock.

I'm willing to be a blasphemer or whatever, but I was much more impressed with Bioshock 2's encounter and level design.

Honestly, 1999 is just fine. There's been a lot of consternation over it but I find I am taking enemies down very quickly - so quickly, in fact, that Normal difficulty must be a laughingstock.

Is anyone playing who skipped the first 2 Bioshock games, or didn't prefer them?

I'm interested in playing Infinite because of the themes, contrast, narrative, etc. I wasn't a huge fan of the first 2 games because I wasn't interested in the story or themes.

Magnus

PS3 owners any move impressions?

It works. But frankly, I kept fighting the controls' sensitivity/deadzone and constantly kept jumping into menus to fiddle. Realized it was taking away from my experience of the game and said fuck it.

That, and my wrist got tired. Seriously. :(

I...don't remember RE4 Wii causing the former issue, for whatever reason. It just...worked.

Is anyone playing who skipped the first 2 Bioshock games, or didn't prefer them?

I'm interested in playing Infinite because of the themes, contrast, narrative, etc. I wasn't a huge fan of the first 2 games because I wasn't interested in the story or themes.

Yeah I didn't play much of 1 and haven't played 2. Pick infinite up trust me its well worth it.

Aside from the great opening and final few hours, I really adored [mid way location spoiler]
the entire Halls of Heroes segment.
It was really stunning, and it gave me a Fort Frolic vibe too.

ekim

I didn't like BS1&2 because of the rather dark theme but I love infinite.

lol72fcd.png

Some of the faces are odd.

The explanation to why there are songs from the future in Columbia is pretty neat.

Big late game spoiler:
So the boss fight with Elizabeth's mum. How should I approach this? I'm getting my arse kicked a lot

Grief.exe

Do weapon model changes when you upgrade them like in the first Bioshock?

I loved that little detail on the game.

They stay the same.

What is the length on this?

Looks like about 9-13 hours, depending on how much time you spend looking around.

http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=1653

I know I personally spend forever soaking in the atmosphere and exploring.

lol72fcd.png

Some of the faces are odd.

No kidding, I wish they had spent some more time on the NPCs, especially since they are just reusing the same models anyways.

Dave_6

So any word on 360 vs PS3 version? I'm not able to build a PC right now so I'm going to have to get this on one of the consoles.

GavinGT

Banned
What is the length on this?

I'd say it will take the average player about 12 hours. It took me more like 25 hours because I looked for every item, read every sign, and explored every area I could find.

For reference, I ended the game with 40 extra lockpicks and about half of the weapon/vigor upgrades. So, while there are plenty of lockpicks, I don't think there's enough money in the game to purchase nearly all the upgrades.

The explanation to why there are songs from the future in Columbia is pretty neat.

Totally.

Big late game spoiler:
So the boss fight with Elizabeth's mum. How should I approach this? I'm getting my arse kicked a lot

Use murder of crows to keep the soldiers at bay while you focus on her. They respawn so there's no use trying to kill them all.

dLMN8R

Shawn, I gotta say it's immensely gratifying to have Bioshock Infinite affect me like no game I've played since Half-Life 2, knowing that you worked on it and talked at length on GFW Radio about how incredible an achievement Half-Life 2 was for Valve. The totally enthralling world, environmental sound design, the art design, and more are just totally absorbing and make me want to live in this world forever.

Except for, you know, the racism, death, cultishness of everyone, minor details like that :p

I know it was a big team with possibly hundreds of people toiling away for years, so huge congratulations to all of you for pulling it off in a big way.

antitrop

So any word on 360 vs PS3 version? I'm not able to build a PC right now so I'm going to have to get this on one of the consoles.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Nothing is 100% until the DF comes out in a few days, but nobody has posted any substantial negative impressions of the performance on one console compared to the other.

This has probably been asked a dozen times, but are you PC guys playing with K/M combo or xbox controller? I played the first two games only on xbox, so I'm used to those controls. I just feel like the flying on rails portion would be difficult to control with a mouse. Am I wrong? Any advantages to either?

It works. But frankly, I kept fighting the controls' sensitivity/deadzone and constantly kept jumping into menus to fiddle. Realized it was taking away from my experience of the game and said fuck it.

That, and my wrist got tired. Seriously. :(

I...don't remember RE4 Wii causing the former issue, for whatever reason. It just...worked.

Thank you! It's impossible to find move impressions. I have always found move to never be as accurate as wii. I will play on a normal pad first later try move.

antitrop

I just feel like the flying on rails portion would be difficult to control with a mouse. Am I wrong? Any advantages to either?

If anything, it's easier with a mouse. You have full 360 degree rotation capabilities on the rails, and I'm guessing it would be impossible to actually be able to aim while riding on one at full speed.

On a mouse I can snipe fools coming directly at me on the skyhook from the opposite direction at full speed. Once you realize how fast "full speed" is on a Skyhook, that means something.

Dat 96 on metacritic is just so sweet to see. Really delighted to see that the game turned out as everyone had expected.

Currently it's the same score as the original and that's a fucking hard thing to pull off after how well that was received

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Thanks. Watching people buy into the forum and media perpetuated narrative was frustrating.

You guys deserve all the praise. I'm about 5 or 6 hours in and I'm having a blast. I even bought the season pass too.

Not only is Infinite one of the best shooters I've played, but it's also one of the best damn games I've played period. More so than the first game.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Has anyone gotten the email for their Industrial Revolution rewards yet?

I did up to the first 12 puzzles which supposedly unlocks all the rewards so you don't actually need to finish the game.

Can anyone confirm this or am I boned for the time being?

ironcreed

Banned
Written in the clouds indeed. Just 'ascended' to Columbia. Can't remember the last time I was slapped in the face so hard with atmosphere.
Those people singing, the light shining in through the stained glass windows and the colors makes it feel strangely spiritual or like another dimension.
I am basically just gobsmacked and am slowly wandering around reading things and finding loot right now. Looks and runs great on PS3 as well. The controls are especially nice.

danwarb

You mean those vertical striped Columbian flags don't turn to visual diarrhea in your game when you move the camera around quickly?
Nope I'm pretty sure it drops frames instead when you've got vsync on, on the Xbox at least. I found a part on some steps overlooking a large crowd where the frame rate dipped for a second, and there were no torn frame.

Dr Dogg

Has anyone gotten the email for their Industrial Revolution rewards yet?

I did up to the first 12 puzzles which supposedly unlocks all the rewards so you don't actually need to finish the game.

Can anyone confirm this or am I boned for the time being?

I got mine this morning at 8:00AM GMT. Haven't got far enough in to see if they have all unlocked but I got up to level 15 with Industrial Revolution but shows all but the last rewards unlocked. This is what the email said.

YOUR INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION REWARD PACK IS HERE!

You pre-ordered BioShock Infinite and registered for BioShock Infinite: Industrial Revolution, and now that BioShock Infinite is in stores, your Industrial Revolution Reward Pack is ready and waiting for you to claim it!

The Industrial Revolution Reward Pack includes 3 exclusive gear items, five hundred silver eagles (in game currency), and five lockpicks.

Click here to get your code to pick up your in-game rewards – and thanks for playing!

http://www.finkmanufacturing.com

About two and a half hours in, really taking my time and taking in as much of the area as possible. Awesome setting. Only complaints so far are using L3 to run and the subtitles being a pain to read. Worst font I've seen since Red Dead Redemption.

Using the Pulse headset with the Bioshock mode, not really seeing a difference between that and how most games sound.

DatDude

Banned
I hate to be annoying, but those who are still early on in the game (2-5 hours, depending how long your taking I guess), do realize that the game does become more open as you progress.

It's not a bioshock hub system, but it does branch off quite extensively. So need to get in a panic that this is nothing but shooting galleries :)

DatDude

Banned
There are no alternate ammo types right?
Combat seems very simplified. Vigors don't feel unique.

You know what i miss? Walking around just exploring. Hacking turrets. Feeling the atmosphere.
I miss the planning. If i met a big daddy i had to think. Can i kill him now or should i wait?
Should i attack him head on or should i set some traps? What weapons will i use? What kind of ammo do i have?
Handymen are just big grunts. They don't feel like big daddies at all.

So far Infinite is just "walk forward and shoot everything".
Yes, game is beautiful. Story is interesting. But i... i don't know. I expected more.

And Booker seems to be another videogame errand boy so far.

Sounds like you simply wanted this to be Bioshock 2.0

I mean, don't get me wrong, it does retain alot of the "Bioshock/System franchise elements"

But at the same time, and this is coming from someone who had similar sentiments to you, STOP comparing this to bioshock.

Honestly, that's what I did and just was not fun for me. Play this game as if it was a completely new ip, and just leave Rapture, Big Daddies (handy men were never meant to be the new big daddies. they were just meant to be a harder enemy variation), Little Sisters, and every of the such in the back of your brain and just enjoy Columbia and Infinite for what it's trying to do, rather than what you WANT it to do.

Just saying, it helped me alot when I wasn't really "feeling" this game early on.

Also, btw there's more exploration/ quiet peaceful moments in Inifinite. Just as much as Bioshock. So don't fret ;)

Truant

Uh, weird bug. Just started my second playthrough and the game kinda fell apart after you get Posession to open the door. I'm pretty certain the coin flip sequence is supposed to be right outside? Also, the ball throwing sequence was totally gone. The stage was empty and the ground was covered in blood. What the fuck?

Zeliard

Uh, weird bug. Just started my second playthrough and the game kinda fell apart after you get Posession to open the door. I'm pretty certain the coin flip sequence is supposed to be right outside? Also, the ball throwing sequence was totally gone. The stage was empty and the ground was covered in blood. What the fuck?

lol

Fucking Creepsville.

Top Bottom