• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

antitrop

As someone who was personally incredibly bored by the time (maybe 3-4 hours into each?) I put into bioshock 1 and 2, is infinite different enough outside of setting?

It's actually fun to engage enemies in Infinite, unlike Bioshock 1 and 2. Even if 2 improved upon the combat of 1, I still think it was pretty bad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The level design has been really exceptional in this game - feels like whoever or whatever team that was in charge of not only the flow of natural player progression but also keeping interesting areas around while you're in firefights knew what they wanted, and knew what got in the way. There's been so many very small but very SMART tweaks to how games had previously handled these and everything fits very well with regards to moving the player along in the right way, and even making the 'wrong' ways feel like they were worth their time not just from an inventory side (for instance, leaving a stack of ammo down a different corridor so to speak) but also from a story perspective, where there's almost always something interesting to see. Nothing's wasted. It's excellent.

Dartastic

I remembered reading a few people recommending Hard if you are at least familiar to shooters before starting the game up last night. That lead me to assume that it would have been similar to the Hard difficulty in Dishonored which was perfectly fine for me. Granted, I did go for a no kill run in that game so I should have known better.

I'm not a great FPS player, but I certainly am familiar with them. I just found the Handymen fights, fights with a lot of enemies, and how fast it takes to be at very low health to be pretty obnoxious for me. Dying fairly frequently and having to see that revive animation every time didn't help either. It all just got to me near the end of the game.

I wouldn't say it hurt my overall enjoyment of the game, but if I could do it over again, I would have picked normal like I usually do. Maybe I will on another playthrough some day.
I heard in a review somewhere you can drop the difficulty down in the middle of your game? I'm gonna start on hard if that's true.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about 4 hours into it and still wondering what the big deal is. It seems like any other big budget first person shooter I've ever seen except with some really good looking environments. Take away the art design for the environments and it seems no better or worse than something like Syndicate or Crysis 3.

Maybe I'm just not to the mindblowing part yet.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Great game so far. I really don't want to spoil anything and don't want to comment too much until finishing the whole thing but I'll just say I loved the pace of the first hour or so and how they eased you in. So very few FPS do that these days it was much appreciated and letting you immerse yourself in the world. My OCD has also come into play and everything not nailed down is getting lifted and searched. :p

I've only played bioshock 1, not 2.

Should I play 2 before playing Infinite?

I'll be one of the few who says you should absolutely play Bioshock 2 as it's a damn great game, a better game to actually play than the original IMO. The mysteriousness of Rapture is gone compared to the first game but it's still a damn cool place to be and I enjoyed the story a lot. That and especially the Minervas Den DLC. You however don't need to play them before playing Infinite so you can just pick them up later sometime.

Cystm

I actually liked the other thread title." No gods or kings, only Anna karenina"

Anyway, I cannot wait to get off work and back to Columbia.

"Hallelujah"

derExperte

Well Colombia is certainly a lot more vibrant and way more colourful than Rapture or the Von Braun ever were but they still haven't shaken off the age old convention of that every protagonist is a kleptomaniac. Don't mind me I'm just stealing everything in sight.

Funny thing is that later a message pops up that 'stealing has consequences' and if you try to loot a register in a shop it prompts you to 'steal'. While everything else seems to be fair game even if the owner stands beside it. Slight dissonance there.

At first I resisted but then shot Duke & Dimwit more or less accidentially in their faces and my good standing with the local police was ruined anyway.

I remembered reading a few people recommending Hard if you are at least familiar to shooters before starting the game up last night. That lead me to assume that it would have been similar to the Hard difficulty in Dishonored which was perfectly fine for me. Granted, I did go for a no kill run in that game so I should have known better.

I'm not a great FPS player, but I certainly am familiar with them. I just found the Handymen fights, fights with a lot of enemies, and how fast it takes to be at very low health to be pretty obnoxious for me. Dying fairly frequently and having to see that revive animation every time didn't help either. It all just got to me near the end of the game.

I wouldn't say it hurt my overall enjoyment of the game, but if I could do it over again, I would have picked normal like I usually do. Maybe I will on another playthrough some day.

dishonored hard is normal mode in most games

Magnus

I really do like Elizabeth, though I'm not a fan of the Disney style animation they chose for her. I can't stand the exaggerated expressions. And was it me, or did I hear
Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Ciny Lauper on the beach?? I recognised the tune, but it took me a minute to realise what it was. Easter egg I assume?

omg, totally thought I heard it too though in Columbia!
Later in the game, after the beach

Can someone help me understand something? It regards the geographical layout of the areas in the game. I'm just trying to understand how they all relate to one another. What/where does Columbia refer to, and what/where does Emporia refer to? I'd wiki it, but don't want to see too much, since I'm still playing and not finished the game yet.

Started today, not too far in - loving it so far. Gathering lockpicks is a bit of a nuisance though. I hate the feeling I'm missing something so I'm always scouring for them.

Also the 2 gun limit is frustrating, do I get anything later than allows me to carry more than 2? I'm always in two minds about what I need...

FartOfWar

Banned
How are you guys feeling after finally releasing the game and getting that large amount of love from press and players?

Phenomenal. Better than I dreamed. No game will please all players all the time, so it's incredible to please as many as it would appear we're pleasing now.

I'm about 4 hours into it and still wondering what the big deal is. It seems like any other big budget first person shooter I've ever seen except with some really good looking environments. Take away the art design for the environments and it seems no better or worse than something like Syndicate or Crysis 3.

Maybe I'm just not to the mindblowing part yet.

I don't know, that first choice you make was pretty mindblowing to me, it being in a video game. Crysis 3 doesn't have a lot of
hugely loaded racist imagery and then asks you to whip a baseball at an interracial couple

danwarb

That....doesn't make sense? lol. With the feature ON, the amount of tearing that still occurs is just fine for me. With it off, it's borderline unplayable.
There's still tearing with vsync on? I've left it on on the Xbox game and I'm sure there's no tearing.

GorillaJu

Act like people? Not like Maniquins. At the very least, exit stage, go into a house, or create an animation loop that has some semblance of life to it. It is something that a lot of games do better nowdays. But much of the time they literally say two sentences and then stand their like stone statues afterwards for ever and ever. Some of the characters have animation loops like the kids playing in the fire hydrant, etc. But that just draws more attention to all the ones that do not. Maybe it's a hardware limitation issue, though. Anyway, it wasn't my major point, just an observation of something that contributes to the problem.

I could be wrong here but I've always assumed this is an intended effect with Bioshock. The way they've used key frame animations, and the way NPCs stare at you blankly, it is similar to Disneyland mannequins. It's part of the charm, IMO. Other games strive to be realistic by real world standards. Bioshock tries to be realistic within the standard of its own world, which is very dream-like in essence.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm on break from work, have two slow ass hours left but for some reason I'm still reading impressions in this thread. Antitrop's have been particularly exciting. I seem to have ery similar tastes to him so I can't wait to get started.

S1kkZ

Phenomenal. Better than I dreamed. No game will please all players all the time, so it's incredible to please as many as it would appear we're pleasing are now.

framerate aside, you guys did a fantastic job with the game.
i have to admit: i wanted/expected this game to be a huge failure (all the people leaving the team, staged/faked demo a few years ago, release date pushed further and further...) but i was wrong.

best game i played this year so far, and izs in my all time top 10.

Zeliard

i have to admit: i wanted/expected this game to be a huge failure (all the people leaving the team, staged/faked demo a few years ago, release date pushed further and further...) but i was wrong.

You "wanted" it to be a huge failure?

Ugh I put Ascension in the mail on Saturday and Gamefly still hasn't received it. Now Infinite is at low stock and I'd imagine it's going to be like that for awhile. Not sure if I should just rent it at a Redbox now .-.

nib95

Banned
Pulled the trigger on the PC version. Pumped! I was confident this would be a flop, but now it is poised to be something truly special. And those screens, my word. Art direction is beautiful! Hope my GTX 570 is up to the task!

Ugh I put Ascension in the mail on Saturday and Gamefly still hasn't received it. Now Infinite is at low stock and I'd imagine it's going to be like that for awhile. Not sure if I should just rent it at a Redbox now .-.

once it goes low you're done

might as well reserve it at a local redbox

Dang. I'm about to go and pick it up and was hoping to have a definitive comparison between console versions by now. Oh well, I guess PS3 version it is!

FartOfWar

Banned

Thanks. Watching people buy into the forum and media perpetuated narrative was frustrating.

Domstercool

I was not pulled into Bioshock and boy did I tried. Will I like this game? How is it different apart from the setting obviously?

Depends. I didn't like the original Bioshock, so I never got to the end of it.

I loved this one though, better gameplay (the feeling of weapons is better than the original game), great companion and amazing location.

Zeliard

when they first showed the heavily staged demo and journalists got all hyped about it: yeah, i kinda wanted it to fail. it was just so obvious that the game would never play or feel like that demo.

That's pretty typical of such controlled demonstrations tho. It's just marketing in the end.

nib95

Banned
Thanks. Watching people buy into the forum and media perpetuated narrative was frustrating.

I'm assuming by your post you're a developer or someone who worked on the game. Just want to extend a massive grats on pulling this off. I was also in the pessimistic camp, but based on everything I've seen, read and heard so far, looks like you guys pulled it off in spectacular fashion. I tip my hat to you and all your team.

Top Bottom