• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Sounds like you simply wanted this to be Bioshock 2.0

I mean, don't get me wrong, it does retain alot of the "Bioshock/System franchise elements"

But at the same time, and this is coming from someone who had similar sentiments to you, STOP comparing this to bioshock.

Honestly, that's what I did and just was not fun for me. Play this game as if it was a completely new ip, and just leave Rapture, Big Daddies (handy men were never meant to be the new big daddies. they were just meant to be a harder enemy variation), Little Sisters, and every of the such in the back of your brain and just enjoy Columbia and Infinite for what it's trying to do, rather than what you WANT it to do.

Just saying, it helped me alot when I wasn't really "feeling" this game early on.

Also, btw there's more exploration/ quiet peaceful moments in Inifinite. Just as much as Bioshock. So don't fret ;)

This was exactly what I was doing wrong.

Uh, weird bug. Just started my second playthrough and the game kinda fell apart after you get Posession to open the door. I'm pretty certain the coin flip sequence is supposed to be right outside? Also, the ball throwing sequence was totally gone. The stage was empty and the ground was covered in blood. What the fuck?
Yeah this happening to me now too and it's my first playthrough. I can't progress to Monument Island.

ironcreed

Banned
In the
Garden of the New Eden after being babtized.
Just wow. Hard to not be impressed by the work they put into this world. This is why it is a shame to see the model of taking years to craft games falling by the wayside. This is a rare one, folks.

Tacitus_

Just finished it. First of all, the ending. Gat damn. My mind is full of fuck and I mean it in a good way.

Now with that out of the way, I feel that the game is inferior to the first Bioshock in pretty much every way outside of the ending. The combat felt worse, the weapons felt worse and you couldn't utilize powers nearly as well. And on Hard, the enemies were so spongy it was absolutely ridiculous when you encountered the special guys. Then there were several places where the screenrate would just tank for no good reason. Oh and the game is incredibly demanding for the kind of graphics it has. I had to run it 720p and medium quality just to get a stable framerate - and it would still tank in the aforementioned places so badly that it would get very choppy.

Though I'm not disappointed in my purchase, since I got it for 35 euros and three free games on top of that. Wouldn't recommend buying it alone and for the full price.

The Move support in the Ps3 version could use some improvements. They need a filter for the pointer, a way to assign melee to a button and better camera options.

By the way, if anyone has trouble calibrating the move, you have to point it and keep the controller leveled to where the eye is located. And when you have to point at the bullzeye icons, point at them from near where you are going to rest your wrist while keeping the move pointed straight ahead.

is this one of those games where i'll probably end up needing to read a plot summary after the ending credits, lol?

I'm around 2/3 hours in, and really enjoying it so far. The amount of detail put into every environment is absolutely fantastic - it does feel slightly more 'linear' than the previous titles, but considering the amount of effort that has been put in to the world, that is by no means a negative - plot is progressing at a nice pace too, which helps.

woober

Still playing through and one thing that stands out to me as bad is the NPC models. Why do they all look the same... There's like 1 model for both male and female.

DatDude

Banned
Just finished it. First of all, the ending. Gat damn. My mind is full of fuck and I mean it in a good way.

Now with that out of the way, I feel that the game is inferior to the first Bioshock in pretty much every way outside of the ending. The combat felt worse, the weapons felt worse and you couldn't utilize powers nearly as well. And on Hard, the enemies were so spongy it was absolutely ridiculous when you encountered the special guys. Then there were several places where the screenrate would just tank for no good reason. Oh and the game is incredibly demanding for the kind of graphics it has. I had to run it 720p and medium quality just to get a stable framerate - and it would still tank in the aforementioned places so badly that it would get very choppy.

Though I'm not disappointed in my purchase, since I got it for 35 euros and three free games on top of that. Wouldn't recommend buying it alone and for the full price.

You thought the combat was worse?

Maybe it was just me, but I felt it took a giant ass dump on Bioshock 1 combat. An playing it on medium would have gotten rid of those bullet sponge enemies you were refering to.

When was the last time you played Bioshock 1 btw?

DatDude

Banned
is this one of those games where i'll probably end up needing to read a plot summary after the ending credits, lol?

I'm around 2/3 hours in, and really enjoying it so far. The amount of detail put into every environment is absolutely fantastic - it does feel slightly more 'linear' than the previous titles, but considering the amount of effort that has been put in to the world, that is by no means a negative - plot is progressing at a nice pace too, which helps.

this is the kind of ending that's really akin to the depth/complexity of Lost imo.

Jobbs

Banned
About 4-5 hours in, love it so far. I just did the part where
you're inside that thing with all the cardboard displays of indians attacking people and the guy on the loudspeaker sending waves at you.
Game is endlessly creative. Few games make such a detailed world for themselves.

- The vistas are among the most beautiful in video games, in my opinion

- People throw away a lot of money for some reason

-
I wonder when I'll get to fight the big daddy type thing shown in the opening parts of the game, and no, that's not an invitation to tell me

-
Elizabeth is very compelling, and when she's talking right into your face, at times it can really feel like she's talking to YOU. Whatever they did to make it so compelling seems to work

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just reflecting on my first two hours last night.. This game is so incredibly interesting. I haven't met Elizabeth yet, I'm just about to. It feels like looking back on a dream I had.
that weird couple and their coin flipping expiriment!! Wtf? Stoning an interracial couple with baseballs?!?! I heard a women say "I could have sworn our waiter had a slight accent. Then in comstocks zeppelin a lady immolates herself and lights the whole thing on fire.. I jumped off and just watched it sail down into the distance thinking "this is some serious shit" and in the little coin op movie theater things they have documented these little dimensional tears. Oh man, and the whole sequence where you summon Columbia and it communicates on an almost musical level.. This is head and shoulders above even half life2 when it comes to intrigue and world building.

DatDude

Banned
Are you trying to turn people off? ;)

Well, I mean I enjoyed Lost...but I guess I'm in the minority.

Idk, it's really complex, and really meaty, and some people will indeed need diagrams and flow charts to completely understand everything... but if you take your time to soak in the details the ending will make sense. People who blow through the game will probably understand next to nothing.

It's very Fringe meets Lost that throws a bit of existentialism as well.

Has anyone gotten the email for their Industrial Revolution rewards yet?

I did up to the first 12 puzzles which supposedly unlocks all the rewards so you don't actually need to finish the game.

Can anyone confirm this or am I boned for the time being?
I preordered from Amazon and still haven't received any of the pre-order bonuses (kindle book or Industrial Revolution). Can anyone confirm/deny these went out earlier than today? If so, what would be my best course of action? Call Amazon?

Just started on PS3, very impressed so far.

Can tell that it's running subHD, will kick myself if 360 is native 720p, though I doubt it.

Ideally I'd have a gaming PC rig, but am holding out for PS4. But enough about that, I'm about to travel to Columbia!

Tacitus_

Rarely have I so disagreed with an opinion.

Well, you're free to disagree. Combat in Bioshock was a lot more tactical, you could plan shit, make traps and utilize the environment. Infinite has a couple of water and oil puddles. All you can do outside of those is shoot at things. And the weapons suck compared to Bioshock. There's no custom ammo and the upgrades are kinda meh and the upgrades don't change the look of the guns.
When was the last time you played Bioshock 1 btw?

It's been a few years, why?

BraXzy

Can someone help me out if you are over half way,
I just found the cipher book thing in Fink's area, I can't for the life of me remember where the actual thing was on the wall. Elizabeth mentioned the clockshop but theres only the club and the gunsmith :/

Well, you're free to disagree. Combat in Bioshock was a lot more tactical, you could plan shit, make traps and utilize the environment. Infinite has a couple of water and oil puddles. All you can do outside of those is shoot at things. And the weapons suck compared to Bioshock. There's no custom ammo and the upgrades are kinda meh and the upgrades don't change the look of the guns.

I thought you held the trigger button down to drop a vigor as a trap?

GavinGT

Banned
I just found the cipher book thing in Fink's area, I can't for the life of me remember where the actual thing was on the wall. Elizabeth mentioned the clockshop but theres only the club and the gunsmith :/

It's in one of the corners of the big open area.

DukeBobby

You can use the vigors to set traps.

danwarb

Just started on PS3, very impressed so far.

Can tell that it's running subHD, will kick myself if 360 is native 720p, though I doubt it.

Ideally I'd have a gaming PC rig, but am holding out for PS4. But enough about that, I'm about to travel to Columbia!
360 is 720p. I think they both are. It's the AA solution that's giving it a blurry look I think.

DatDude

Banned

Play it again.

Honestly, just for the sake of it, play maybe a good 30 minutes of you can and see if you feel the same way after.

Because rapture, was nothing but dark linear corridors, and using your enviroment was nothing but water and oil puddles like you mentioned. An I only came to this realization after replaying it right after Infinite.

noffles

Banned

From where you initially enter the area, take an immediate right.

Well, I mean I enjoyed Lost...but I guess I'm in the minority.

Idk, it's really complex, and really meaty, and some people will indeed need diagrams and flow charts to completely understand everything... but if you take your time to soak in the details the ending will make sense. People who blow through the game will probably understand next to nothing.

It's very Fringe meets Lost that throws a bit of existentialism as well.

iiiiiiieeeeee

MRVwIiG.jpg

Tacitus_

The vigor that knocks multiple people into the sky is and makes them take extra damage is basically the only one you need outside of fighting
clockwork bot
enemies.

I thought you held the trigger button down to drop a vigor as a trap?

You can use the vigors to set traps.

Whoops, yeah. I wonder what that speaks of their utility when I used them so few times that I forgot they existed.

FartOfWar

Banned

Your call but I tend to agree that you haven't played bio 1 in a while. Sounds like you weren't interested in using Vigors right?

Uthred

After playing further I think my opinion on the game could best be summed up in the word "uninspired", the story, the gameplay, the design, the execution, all of them are just, well uninspired.

Top Bottom